Story discussion thread - Massive spoilers inside!

AshtimusPrime

Just finally finished the Epilogue yesterday. Good ending, good closure. Is it weird that I enjoyed the Epilogue way more than the main story with Arthur? Maybe it's just because it felt right playing as John again.

Just near the end of Epilogue 1 - I'm tying up loose ends (finishing all of the animals, dinosaur bones, legendary fishing, stranger missions, etc...) before moving on to the final Epilogue, but I really miss Arthur :( I miss his ornery pessimism. He is honestly one of the best characters I've ever played, and I've been gaming for about 35 years. John is a good character, but I like Arthur much more.

I felt pretty sad at the very end of the last Chapter 6 mission... and I usually don't get choked up.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just near the end of Epilogue 1 - I'm tying up loose ends (finishing all of the animals, dinosaur bones, legendary fishing, stranger missions, etc...) before moving on to the final Epilogue, but I really miss Arthur :( I miss his ornery pessimism. He is honestly one of the best characters I've ever played, and I've been gaming for about 35 years. John is a good character, but I like Arthur much more.

I felt pretty sad at the very end of the last Chapter 6 mission... and I usually don't get choked up.

Oh I really loved playing as Arthur, don't get me wrong. He is an amazing character. I got choked up too, especially when he said goodbye to his horse. It was just the steady decline into chaos of the main story I didn't enjoy, Dutch slowly going crazy, Arthur slowly getting sick and dying, people dying off. It felt like I was stressed the whole story and only felt calm once I was playing as John again, idk.

Oh I really loved playing as Arthur, don't get me wrong. He is an amazing character. I got choked up too, especially when he said goodbye to his horse. It was just the steady decline into chaos of the main story I didn't enjoy, Dutch slowly going crazy, Arthur slowly getting sick and dying, people dying off. It felt like I was stressed the whole story and only felt calm once I was playing as John again, idk.

That's a good way of putting it. I kinda figured everything would end up going south considering Arthur doesn't appear in the first game and the gang is pretty much split up by then, but man was it frustrating to see everything just constantly going into the gutter. Going from a more spirited vibe around camp and everyone being generally content to eventually deteriorating to a miserable shell of itself... and even more frustrating was that every time Dutch's response was a mix of "I have a plan" and "we just need more money".

The part that did me in was definitely Arthur saying goodbye to his horse.

It's nice to play as John again, but Arthur really grew on me.

Very oddly, the stranger quest with two escaped convicts Mr. Black and Mr. White reset itself now that I'm playing as John as I just finished going back to Rhodes to tear down their bounty posters again lol.

I'm really struggling in the post-game because I simply miss Arthur too much. I want the platinum but I can't spend a lot of time as John without feeling overwhelmingly sad.

Also, John has a sincerely uncomfortable relationship with his l-a-a-a-d-y. And I don't mean Abigail. I had to send Rachel off to the stables because I couldn't trust the two of them off-screen. :|

I'm really struggling in the post-game because I simply miss Arthur too much. I want the platinum but I can't spend a lot of time as John without feeling overwhelmingly sad.

Same here. The game did a good job of ultimately making me care about Arthur. So now that he's gone it just doesn't feel the same playing as John. I even tried equipping John with some of the custom outfits that I used for Arthur but it just isn't the same. :(

Very oddly, the stranger quest with two escaped convicts Mr. Black and Mr. White reset itself now that I'm playing as John as I just finished going back to Rhodes to tear down their bounty posters again lol.

Same exact thing happened to me haha, must be a bug. Every other stranger mission is fine, it's great that R* added different reactions from strangers if you finish stranger missions Arthur started.

How does someone find this?

By exploring. But this shows me that despite the fact that I explored what I thought was a significant portion of the map, I still missed a lot of things.

I also missed the person that was locked up in an outhouse on the Braithwaite Manor property in the main story - went back and the person is still in there, but she's now a rotting corpse. Arthur makes a journal entry that I now don't have. Same goes for the Grays - there's a journal entry related to someone who's dead on a porch behind the main house. I was able to pick up the letter that's there, but the game won't prompt an action to investigate the corpse to trigger a journal entry.

There's also a stash of gold I can no longer obtain in Saint Denis - the map was in the jail in Limpany (sp?) that I somehow missed, and it's not there anymore, and the gold bars aren't at the location, either (likely because the map is required to spawn the bars).

How do I get Arthur's stuff back whilst playing as John? I've completed Epilogue 1 and apparently I inherit all of his stuff (minus the horses and cash) after a few missions but none of it has shown up yet. I had a few perfect pelts in my inventory when Arthur died and a ton of supplies and now I have nada

How do I get Arthur's stuff back whilst playing as John? I've completed Epilogue 1 and apparently I inherit all of his stuff (minus the horses and cash) after a few missions but none of it has shown up yet. I had a few perfect pelts in my inventory when Arthur died and a ton of supplies and now I have nada

you get it all back automatically after you complete the "motherhood" mission in Epilogue 1 (I think that's the one where you get the letter from Abigail saying she's left you after you've completed the mission).

don't know how you would have missed it since it's impossible to miss.

you get it all back automatically after you complete the "motherhood" mission in Epilogue 1 (I think that's the one where you get the letter from Abigail saying she's left you after you've completed the mission).

don't know how you would have missed it since it's impossible to miss.

Do I have to pick it all up from somewhere? I have the weapons but none of the outfits or inventory. :/

Also any tips on getting these damn perfect rabbits? If I manage to find a 3 star one, I'll track the little fucker for ages, shoot it in the red zone with a small game arrow and everytime it gets up and trots off to live it's new life as a 1 star bunny. I can't get past the first hunting request or the Master Hunter 2 challenge and it's driving me INSANE

Do I have to pick it all up from somewhere? I have the weapons but none of the outfits or inventory. :/

Also any tips on getting these damn perfect rabbits? If I manage to find a 3 star one, I'll track the little fucker for ages, shoot it in the red zone with a small game arrow and everytime it gets up and trots off to live it's new life as a 1 star bunny. I can't get past the first hunting request or the Master Hunter 2 challenge and it's driving me INSANE

Use the Varmint Rifle and go for headshots, it'll keep the pelt at 3 stars for the slightly bigger small game like rabbits, skunks, raccoons, badgers etc. The small game arrows are only good for birds, squirrels, chipmunks, rats, bats etc.

By exploring. But this shows me that despite the fact that I explored what I thought was a significant portion of the map, I still missed a lot of things.

(...) Arthur makes a journal entry that I now don't have. Same goes for the Grays - there's a journal entry related to someone who's dead on a porch behind the main house.

I could explore the map for ages and never find this stuff.

On the diary part. I'd gladly pay for a physical complete version of Arthur's diary. There's an idea for R*

Use the Varmint Rifle and go for headshots, it'll keep the pelt at 3 stars for the slightly bigger small game like rabbits, skunks, raccoons, badgers etc. The small game arrows are only good for birds, squirrels, chipmunks, rats, bats etc.

Lmao I am both furious and relieved :rofl: I've been following the offical guidebook and it says the only way to get perfect skins for small game are the arrows, for the varmint rifle it says 'good' only. But this has worked a treat finally got them all now and a ton of my other small kills to boot :D

Lmao I am both furious and relieved :rofl: I've been following the offical guidebook and it says the only way to get perfect skins for small game are the arrows, for the varmint rifle it says 'good' only. But this has worked a treat finally got them all now and a ton of my other small kills to boot :D

Yeah the official guide lies. I used the varmit rifle almost exclusively for small critters.

Nope, it should all show up in your inventory automatically, but outfits you have to go to a Hotel to be able to change until you reach about the middle of Epilogue 2. What inventory is missing? You don't get any of the items from Arthur aside from trinkets, satchels and a few other things. You lose all of the pelts/carcasses, health/stamina/dead eye items, and money.

I think as other have mentioned, Varmint Rifle for the rabbits. I think even the bow with regular arrows should also be fine(?). Small Game arrows are too weak for rabbits.

Edited by discostu668

I miss Arthur :(

I'm just going to post a bit or else I'll ramble on and it will turn into a tangent (I've done enough of that in the bitching thread lol). I miss Arthur, a lot. He felt real, he's the most fleshed out character. Micah is horrible (Dutch and others too). But man, that ending them the way too long 2 part epilogue. I can't remember what happened in RDR so I felt disconnected to john in the epilogues. AND there was no time to mourn Arthur and have that ending resonate with the player.

I listened to a podcast and one of the co hosts explained why they didn't like the game and I felt exactly the same way to a T. I agreed with 99% of what she said. I liked the game, it was great but it also had a lot of flaws.