Bitching Thread

Iceyice

"Hey mister! Can you help save mah pa from them outlaws over there?"

"Sure son, just give me a minute to slow my horse down, get off, open up the horse menu, select gun using both sticks and triggers simultaneously, and then I'm ready to go."

This funny anecdote sums it up for me. The game has way too many systems that are cumbersome and just plain boring/frustrating. Cores, weight, temperature, inventory...I know they've plumped for realism and that's fine, but they've done so partly at the expense of the 'game' part.

As usual, Rockstar controls and character movement is AIDS.

The Wanted system is just terrible. Walking down the road causing no harm, an O'Driscoll walks up to me and starts mouthing off and punching me. I defend myself and take him down, then a witness who magically spawned on a cliff miles from home reports me and I'm wanted? Fuck off.

Also, the amount of times I've busted through a door rather than walk through it is ridiculous. Also jumped through a few windows and smashed the glass unnecessarily (which also got me Wanted) because of the fiddly controls.

Graphics and story are fantastic though and I still absolutely love the shooting, with the quick hold of :l2: to aim at the centre mass before the quick flick up of the left stick to aim at the head.

Fast travel is also shite, but at least there's the (fiddly) auotpilot horse mode. I usually set a waypoint, leave the horse running and catch up on the forum or something. That is until I clatter into someone walking on the road and kill them, or a chance encounter happens.

Man, this honor system truly sucks.

I'm slowly riding my horse in Valentine and accidentally bump into someone...BAM...bounty on my head and honor goes down.

I pay off the bounty at the sheriff and am on my way to a mission when I suddenly get attacked by 4 or 5 bandits. In trying to defend myself I fall off a cliff with my horse. I survive but my horse can't get up anymore and is in agonizing pain...BAM...honor goes down.

There's an option to revive my horse but it's greyed out so I can't use it.

I'm trying to find a way to help it but my honor keeps going down while the horse is in pain. I don't want to keep the horse in pain so I kill it...BAM...honor goes down.

It seems like half the time you don't have any influence over the honor system.

Early in the game when you first arrive in Valentine I'm returning a stolen horse to a guy. I crash in to someone else's horse and somehow that kills the rider and I'm wanted for murder. Eventually the bounty gets to $100 and I get caught and lose all the $85 I had. So early in the game I'm down to nothing.

And later on I get Wanted for having a bandana on that I forgot to take off and again it all escalates. So yeah, that system is annoying.

Bit of a review so far from me. Red Dead is a good looking game no doubt, the story so far seems immersive and characters are akin to what you would expect from R* but things that have bugged me so far...

Touchpad doesnt bring the map up, its camera angles instead?? WTF? WHY?

Long press Options Button for the map? NO. May aswell pause the game and select the Map that way.

Tap X endlessly to run/ride the horse? SIGH, just hold X? Simple. Also Hold the Touchpad and hold X to Auto navigate, what legend came up with that idea.

Fist fighting is awful, slow, fiddly and everything feels ‘heavy’ and laboured. Its like playing GTA San Andreas or similar which highlights how old the control mechanics are.

Feed, brush and pet your horse?? WHAT? Why, just ride the fucker and be done, also you can put weight on or lose it if you dont eat? No R* no, this is old shit, change the formula please. No one cares, if you wanna be a fat cowboy, let people create a fat character and do away with set protagonists, likewise if you wanna be a 2bit crack head.

Snap to cover is clunky and cumbersome and never works great and the AI always go to where I wanna be in shootouts making it fucking chaos. Not a fan, just feels off and stealth is terrible. May aswell be a bear sneaking up on a guy roaring a thrashing about.

Just feels like the whole control mechanics are dated and given their last release was last gen, it shows.

From what i’ve played so far it gets a 7/10, how reviewers miss these glaring issues is worrying.

Krids points are valid too, walks to saloon door, doors smash open and the whole building showers you in bullets! WANTED. No its not wanted at all. :/

Early in the game when you first arrive in Valentine I'm returning a stolen horse to a guy. I crash in to someone else's horse and somehow that kills the rider and I'm wanted for murder. Eventually the bounty gets to $100 and I get caught and lose all the $85 I had. So early in the game I'm down to nothing.

And later on I get Wanted for having a bandana on that I forgot to take off and again it all escalates. So yeah, that system is annoying.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I ride past a guy clearly attempting the dastardly of original rdr. Chase him, lasso him, go after the horse (with damsel in distress still stowed to its rear), calm horse, rescue & savely drop damsel. Cut her loose as is honorable and voila! I’m the thug with the knife. As witnessed by said random on a cliff 3 states over.

Edited by hBLOXs

Minor spoilers ahead...

In the mission where you have to save Micah in Strawberry, I put on my mask right away so I wouldn’t be recognized. Micah went ahead and got himself killed midway. When I reload from the checkpoint, I finished the mission and then got a bounty of $300. Apparently the game doesn’t remember you have a mask on if it reloads. Just wasted a ton of money to clear my bounty when I could have used it on camp upgrades. Ugh...

Bit of a review so far from me. Red Dead is a good looking game no doubt, the story so far seems immersive and characters are akin to what you would expect from R* but things that have bugged me so far...

Touchpad doesnt bring the map up, its camera angles instead?? WTF? WHY?

Yes, yes, yes. I was playing and thought 'So many games use the touchpad for the map, and they have now programmed me for this. Why did R* have to try to re-invent the wheel?'

Then there was the time when we exited the snow area. Game tells me 'You are now hot.' Well, i already know that, lol......Oh! THAT hot. I thought they were telling me i was a '10.' Just take the damn overcoat off, motherfucker! Lol.

And no one has mentioned the large amount of data we have at our disposal, but why? I don't even read books. Why in my games?

Edited by Iceyice
Added a sentence

On the roof of a train after a mission and thought, why not kill some birds for the challenge? Apparently just having a drawn gun on top of a train was enough for the law to say I was robbing the train and slap a $50 bounty on my head. Fuck off, reloaded, no longer on the moving train, will attempt another time.

Story, visuals and the world itself is perfection. But the gameplay is cumbersome at times and the realism is too much. I always criticised San Andreas for having to eat and go to the gym because quite frankly, looking after myself in real life is a chore as it is, let alone in a game.

My biggest gripes so far are having to tap X to run fast on foot or horse and then the touchpad not bringing up the map. Having recently played The Witcher it's programmed in my head that it's the touchpad to use so I've accidentally used it well into double figures so far and found myself in first person.

Outside of that I don't have any complaints and I've just reached chapter 3. The game really does look outstanding and up to this point the story/dialogue has been top drawer.

Yeah, God forbid we're given a bit of a challenge. My Name is Mayo is much better. :dull:

When you've missed the point I was making entirely :rolleyes:

The point I was making was that Rockstar should have let us play the game and not worry about the honorable thing. Yes, I get it we can and not worry about the trophies, but I'm pretty sure most of us will be running for the (P).

Also, I agree with the touchpad not being used for the map. Saying that, wasn't it used for third person in GTA V? Looks like they've just copied and pasted the controls over.

Edited by Combatting

70 Gold out of 104 isn't that bad at all, even If they want all the requirements in one go, I actually played some missions and got Gold first try (So some are easy), so I think it's fair. However, my HUGE problem is that they don't give you your equipment and especially not your horse, and so many of them have a time requirement, and accuracy, etc. But the problem now is that there are a few missions that are glitched.

Some of the realism is stupid, especially how everytime your horse hits anything, you both end up flying hilariously, even at low speed! How being hot or cold drains your health core, the horse being dirty, etc. Also, I see that I can have up to 3 different clothes, but I can't find them on my horse, is that not where they're stored?

Not a lot of side quests :/

Also, I hate how the challenges are, that you have to complete one to unlock the one after, though I think it was the same way in RDR if I am not mistaken. Especially that some of them require you progress in main missions before being able to complete them! And some should be before others, like 2nd and 3rd gambler challenge.

Also, the game takes some time to open up fully, most of the first 2 chapters feel like tutorials on how to play the game.

- the hunting detective vision. I can barely see it, I always need to lean into the screen. A lot of the time I can't see it-wish they made it bright red/orange.

this

I agree, I hate it, it's barely visible, and if you're riding your horse and going fast, it disappears quickly.

-Why can't I restart the mission!! (after an objective fail)

-Why can't I see if I completed the objective (like headshots), if I fail the one, how the fuck will I know

-Why aren't animal locations on the map?

hey look, after I posted I see animals on my map!!

- Yes, very stupid on their part.

- I was going to say this, but I replayed a mission and they actually ticked what I did right, but I don't think it happened in all of the missions, maybe it's buggy.

You first need to find the animal, and it will start showing on your map.

Edit: I remembered one, the freaking Duels SUCKS! Only R2, WHY? I do what they want, but when I press R2 to shoot it doesn't, instead makes me hold again to draw!!!! WHY! make it two buttons instead. Very frustrating, I had to repeat a duel over 10 time i think.

My damn guns keep resetting and I have to go back to my horse to equip them! I know that you can assign your weapons from the gun sellers, but they keep resetting. And no quick swap between last two guns?

Edited by H!NO

Also, I see that I can have up to 3 different clothes, but I can't find them on my horse, is that not where they're stored?

Hold :l1:, press :r1: to cycle to Horse Items (called something like that) and your outfit will be at the bottom. You have to do a couple of missions in chapter 2 for it to show up because I was wondering where it was as well.

Cant complain apart from the fact that the mission 'Dreamcatchers' is bugged from me. Might be my mistake from doing before having the Fence unlocked. I have both objectives done, got the 'mission completed' popup and all But the reward for doing the collectible, which I wont spoil, is not visible and at this point im not even sure if I got it.

The mission wont dissapear from my Log aswell, which I have had happen a few times

My biggest complaint of the game is missable trophies! For a game that is so huge and deep, why have 6 missable trophies?

Also, skinning ALL 187 animals, and studying ALL 187 animals (3 times each animal as progress bar needs to be 100%) is just insanely time consuming! And for what? 2 Bronze trophies!? Oh and only 50 animals are needed towards the 100% completion trophy! Pure nuts!!!!!

Edited by Eshaal