Very frustrating

RadRobidoux

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy the game. One of the most memorable experience in recent memory. But the zoologist trophy is really getting on my nerves.

You either make all species very hard or very easy to find. But the "find all but one" pattern is ridiculous. After 50 hours of gameplay, I only completed 4 planets. It's always the same problem : land on a planet, find all but one specie within minutes and then, nothing.

Stuck with 4/5, 7/8, 9/10, 10/11 on dozens of planets.

Like I said... Very frustrating and time wasting.

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy the game. One of the most memorable experience in recent memory. But the zoologist trophy is really getting on my nerves.

You either make all species very hard or very easy to find. But the "find all but one" pattern is ridiculous. After 50 hours of gameplay, I only completed 4 planets. It's always the same problem : land on a planet, find all but one specie within minutes and then, nothing.

Stuck with 4/5, 7/8, 9/10, 10/11 on dozens of planets.

Like I said... Very frustrating and time wasting.

Do you have the exocraft? I found that it helps a great deal to be able to quickly change "biomes" to reroll the creatures in your area.

I think I can safely say majority of us felt your pain. I had to look everywhere.

Land on a planet, look up in the sky, look in the ocean (if it has), look in a lake (I noticed sometimes I see different species in them and some can be really rare). Like you might get a species swimming in packs, but for me on two occasions, there was a solo rare one that swam around and sometimes disappears when I was scanning it. Just had to keep swimming around to find it.

Then i look on land. I do this for both night and day and during "storms" when you're shield is dropping rapidly. The last one seems to pop up for me during these storms.

Sometimes flying to the other side of the planet helps.

Yea this trophy was definately a pain.

The list of which species ur missing will give u a clue if your missing a land, sky, or cave creature. That's what got me thru. They are in order, I forget the order but it will be online somewhere. If the gap is between 2 birds for example it makes it easier to kno to just keep looking up. N yea quick look, jump about 30% across the planet, quick look, jump across about another 30% in the same direction, etc etc.

But yea look up the order. I probably wouldn't of got the platinum without that technique.

Youll get there :)

PS I don't even kno what this exocraft thing is, I never used it. So dont worry about it.

Edited by esstee11

The list of which species ur missing will give u a clue if your missing a land, sky, or cave creature. That's what got me thru. They are in order, I forget the order but it will be online somewhere. If the gap is between 2 birds for example it makes it easier to kno to just keep looking up. N yea quick look, jump about 30% across the planet, quick look, jump across about another 30% in the same direction, etc etc.

But yea look up the order. I probably wouldn't of got the platinum without that technique.

PS I don't even kno what this exocraft thing is, I never used it. So don't worry about it.

The Exocrafts were added with the Path Finder Update in 2017 and there's a DLC trophy attached to building one :).

PS I don't even kno what this exocraft thing is, I never used it. So dont worry about it.

The Exocrafts were added with the Path Finder Update in 2017 and there's a DLC trophy attached to building one :).

Yeah, if you don't want 100% and only are looking for the platinum, then I agree with skipping the exocraft.

The good news is if you don't care about the 100% then you can get the animal trophy super easy. Delete the game completely and play completely vanilla. You can go to a barren moon and get credit for finding all species, even if all species means zero!

The good news is if you don't care about the 100% then you can get the animal trophy super easy. Delete the game completely and play completely vanilla. You can go to a barren moon and get credit for finding all species, even if all species means zero!

I was under the impression that playing the vanilla unpatched game, the Zoology trophy you just have to scan 60 creatures and wasn't related to scanning every animal on a planet. Is that not true?

I was under the impression that playing the vanilla unpatched game, the Zoology trophy you just have to scan 60 creatures and wasn't related to scanning every animal on a planet. Is that not true?

Correct. On v1.0, you just have to scan 60 random creatures then the respective trophies will pop along the way. The exploit dotcom is referring to, was inadvertently added with the 1.05 patch but fixed with 1.07 or 1.08 so can't be used any more.

Can you help me understand what you mean by the above? When I look at my list of species, I see the example below. There's no space I can tell to determine what kind of creature I am missing. Am I looking in the wrong place, or maybe the NEXT update made a physical change that makes what you're talking about no longer possible?

qbwBmrC.png

Can you help me understand what you mean by the above? When I look at my list of species, I see the example below. There's no space I can tell to determine what kind of creature I am missing. Am I looking in the wrong place, or maybe the NEXT update made a physical change that makes what you're talking about no longer possible?

qbwBmrC.png

The trick he's referring to, only applies to how the menus were laid out pre-Path Finder - because the creatures were laid out in such a way in the Discovery Menu that it was possible to predict where a missing creature type was likely going to spawn. See here for what the menus used to look like: https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/no-man-s-sky/295197-galapagos-glitch.html

Edited by Terminator
Update.

Im approaching 50 hours play time now and I have yet to get a single planet completed with all creatures found.

I spend about 40 minutes-1 hour on each planet, checking oceans, caves etc.

I've had countless planets where one is missing. I'm starting to think my game is glitched.

I have had quite a few "insects" too that people have mentioned.

Edited by Vistrix

Im approaching 50 hours play time now and I have yet to get a single planet completed with all creatures found.

I spend about 40 minutes-1 hour on each planet, checking oceans, caves etc.

I've had countless planets where one is missing. I'm starting to think my game is glitched.

I have had quite a few "insects" too that people have mentioned.

The game hasn't glitched, you've just been incredibly unlucky :(. The RNG is ridiculous with some planets, thus you can literally spend hours looking and not find the one creature you're missing but on the other hand it's possible to be incredibly lucky and find all of the animals in under in a minute due them all spawning within a mile of your landing site :(.

The game hasn't glitched, you've just been incredibly unlucky :(. The RNG is ridiculous with some planets, thus you can literally spend hours looking and not find the one creature you're missing but on the other hand it's possible to be incredibly lucky and find all of the animals in under in a minute due them all spawning within a mile of your landing site :(.

Just my luck then, sounds about right!

I'll just keep looking.

Correct. On v1.0, you just have to scan 60 random creatures then the respective trophies will pop along the way. The exploit dotcom is referring to, was inadvertently added with the 1.05 patch but fixed with 1.07 or 1.08 so can't be used any more.

Wow, did not know that. Sorry all, didn't mean to spread false information.

Scanning 60 animals on vanilla 1.0 sounds pretty easy though...

The trick he's referring to, only applies to how the menus were laid out pre-Path Finder - because the creatures were laid out in such a way in the Discovery Menu that it was possible to predict where a missing creature type was likely going to spawn. See here for what the menus used to look like: https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/no-man-s-sky/295197-galapagos-glitch.html

Thanks for confirming for me. It's all just a little unsettling at times.. I don't think I've ever played a game where the updates are so invasive as to basically invalidate every guide or constructive suggestion ever written to date. I would almost wonder if it would make sense to just archive and move all of the NMS posts to a sub forum and just start over completely with new guides and posts to discuss the game post NEXT.

Thanks for confirming for me. It's all just a little unsettling at times.. I don't think I've ever played a game where the updates are so invasive as to basically invalidate every guide or constructive suggestion ever written to date. I would almost wonder if it would make sense to just archive and move all of the NMS posts to a sub forum and just start over completely with new guides and posts to discuss the game post NEXT.

NMS is a drop in the ocean in that regard because Minecraft, ARK: Survival Evolved, Overwatch, Rocket League, Destiny 1+2 and Terraria are all a 100 times worse when it comes to patches screwing up Trophy Guides.

Edited by Terminator
Update.

Preach it brother!

Can't wait for Minecraft Aquatic to come out on PS3. Should be the last DLC for legacy consoles. I can finally bury my console in the backyard.

Hopefully when that happens, we will finally be able to get new Guides for all 3 versions (or at the very least for the PS3 and Vita) which won't need updating every 5 seconds :mad:.

• 3 weeks later...

I must say, the grind to find all animals on a planet is really sapping my enjoyment of this game.

I'm about 130 hours in now and only have three completed planets with all species found. I haven't completed a single damn one in my last 50-60 hours and believe me, I'm actively looking for them.

Time to finish off the warp and enemy spaceship trophies and then I'm just going to restart with the unpatched version to scan the 60 different species and get the Plat.

Not looking forward at all to restarting with an apparently buggy original version of the game (not that it's exactly bug-free right now) that's going to have significantly different content.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
The fastest way to get all animals scanned is to find the anomaly planets. They only have one animal type. I'm really lucky that I enjoyed exploring so much, I never got bored hunting down the animals.

I'm gonna gun for this method. Planet 1 only needs 6 and I'm stuck at 5/6, I know it's a rare land animal but for the life of me I can't seem to find it. Good thing though is that I'm still having tremendous amount of fun so I letting it slide for now...

Anomaly planets you say?

Edited by Naps