Trophy Guide Idea

TheRealClayman

Regardless of how many people could careless about it, it's a useful system when implemented correctly. Those last three words are key. If it's done poorly, it won't work.

You want it on the forum? This forum? Good luck with that. Without some new features being coded into it (HAHAHA), all you have at your disposal is making a new thread for every trophy. Who do you task with that very manual process, and is it worth that person's time if a game is so unpopular that nobody's playing it anyway? Even if somebody gets stuck with the unenviable task of creating these threads for a while, eventually it'll drop off when the majority of them go unused. You'd need something that does it automatically when the trophy list gets loaded, so that there's no worry of a human saying "too many of these are going unused, I'm not wasting my time anymore", and again, HAHAHA.

As many people have already pointed out, there is the comment section for each trophy on the "main" portion of the site. Sometimes people use it to share helpful tips. Like here, I have an example of it in action, because this dude saved my butt after the trophy guide from here and every other site or video I could find talking about this trophy failed to mention that you can't do it during the day: https://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/yakuza-zero/trophy/166650-Generosity-of-Strangers.html

But like I said, this has to be implemented correctly, and like many others have already pointed out, it's not. There's not even a report button there, so if a bunch of people spammed useless garbage, how do you even notify anybody to clean it up? Guess you'd have to e-mail or PM somebody, but who? Can the forum mods moderate there too, or are we stuck waiting for Resero to take a stream break so it can get reviewed?

And where's the thumbs up/thumbs down? I know I know, rep bad, not all people are simply supreme and some would go around downvoting everything a person they don't like contributes regardless of if it was useful, but you need at least a thumbs up or "this helped me" button for a system like this. Otherwise you're just sorting by date posted, which isn't always going to be particularly useful in this application. Much like difficulty rating threads, you'd have to accept that there are going to be a few abusive fucknuggets trying to ruin things, but enough people are using it legitimately that it completely drowns out the abusers.

So, here, once again, you need an overhaul of the system to really make it be what it needs to be, and once again I say HAHAHA.

In conclusion, yeah I think this is a good idea. It can be really useful, and it wouldn't replace trophy guides, so those who literally loathe this method can just not use it and wait for a guide to go up. But you need some new coding to make it work the way it should work, so file this one with all the other decent ideas that are never going to happen.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:think: This may fall under the "Nothing's stopping you from trying" category, but I don't know, what about money? Money may be the root of all evil, but it's also the solution to so many problems haha.

People have been willing to donate directly to the site, though it doesn't look like they do as frequently as before. Maybe those same people might be inclined to donate/tip the forum staff and guide writers? Knowing it goes to people who devote time and effort, that could likely be better spent elsewhere, helping fellow hunters and just being overall cool guys and gals. People we've gotten to know well over these years through highs and lows. We'd likely only be getting pocket change, if anything, but it may one day amount to something. And for those who don't need the money, maybe it gives them a platform to encourage people to donate to a cause that means a lot to them.

A non-real money alternative could be a bounty system. Each game without a guide is worth so many Krid-Dollars, which could later be "spent" on....something. Like Slamma posting a video of him singing a song of the buyer's choice, the ability to pick a gamenight/league no questions asked, an advantage during a community event, choosing which player I select in the first round of Fantasy Hockey. Be crazy, be creative, and be fun with the rewards. Games could offer up more Krid-Dollars if a guide is produced within the first week or two. We did something similar when I was in the 5th grade where we got fake money for good behavior and shit like that. Then we had an auction where we can buy toys. I bought a Master Roshi figure. It was a good time.

I'm just throwing whatever crazy shit comes to mind whether practical or not :p Let's have a bake sale!

EDIT: LOL Post #13131

Edited by mcolwander90

...? What kind of response is that?

His opinion is very valid, and one that I agree with - I literally loathe their method over at TA/TT... Why are you telling him to grow up? Why are you the most randomly hostile person? You like, berated a kid in the digital goods being taxed thread... something along the lines of "CHEAPSKATE I GUESS YOU DONT WANT GOOD ROADS CUZ YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY TAXES!" I don't remember exactly and you've unfortunately deleted it, so I'll never know... But jeeze man... Calm down. Also, taxation is theft... Remember that.

That's is all.

Haha what

It isn't a comment section though :/. I've used Trueachievements sometimes because they either offer better solutions or at least have solutions because a guide hasn't been made here yet. Also, you should probably read some of the comments :whistle: Hence Floyd's reaction I think.

This guy gets it.

It isn't a comment section though :/. I've used Trueachievements sometimes because they either offer better solutions or at least have solutions because a guide hasn't been made here yet. Also, you should probably read some of the comments :whistle: Hence Floyd's reaction I think.

I get that it's not a comment section... I'm not arguing that nor did I say it was one. I don't think anyone is saying "IT'S A COMMENT SECTION", but moreso that it LOOKS like one, which it does. I guess you guys would be happier if we said that we don't like its aesthetic? I still don't think it's enough to warrant telling someone to "grow up"... That's a little much, no? Like, it's all opinion, right?

What comments should I read?

Haha what

What part confused you? I was just saying I don't think there's a reason to tell someone to grow up because their opinion differs. I then used an example from another thread (which is unfortunately gone because you deleted your post) in which you called some guy out and more or less berated him for being surprised that his state now taxes digital goods, and you kind of just went off on him, calling him cheap. I've seen you do it on XBA and PST many times over and I was just simply wondering "why".

Edited by Tussell

These threads always turn into shitposting after a while, and the original idea of the thread gets lost when it's actually worth discussing.

I like the idea, and I think we need to try and do something to stem the tide. I for one absolutely love TrueAchievements and it's usually my go-to place for a walkthrough guide as I love following a game step-by-step and knowing I'll have all the trophies at the end. It's like the best part of a GameFAQs guide and this site rolled into one.

Also, the comments are useful too, many of the FFXV DLC ones on the TrueAchievements site helped me out. I wish TrueTrophies was as popular but it has too much competition.

Whilst we do have the same system here on the main site, I agree with mjc that you need to surf through a lot of shit and boosting requests to find good tips. There's also the main site/forum schism which affects most of us, as I imagine there are many like myself who rarely, if ever, venture onto the main site.

You don't have to list every trophy in a Roadmap, that's just something some people tend to do if they feel the need. Personally I always found a Roadmap the easiest to write and in many cases, the most useful part of the guide.

Just to lend support here; I also find Roadmaps much more fun to write than Trophy Guides. Kind of ties everything together.

That's not always necessary though. I've only written six guides but only two of them did I list every trophy that will be earned in each step because I felt it was necessary to let people know. Story-related trophies don't always need to be listed, for example, when you know that they will unlock without you having to worry about it.

Side note: if it hasn't already been decided, perhaps you should let Guide Team members write guides again without waiting to see if someone else does? It might not make much of a difference, but opening it up couldn't hurt at this rate.

They were never necessary in the past, I'm not sure where this stealth rule change has come from that they're mandatory. I don't think they should be; they're useful for tracking purposes and for complicated games with lots of steps and miscellaneous stuff, but for mainly story-driven games it's a waste of time and vital character space.

As for your second paragraph...yeah. I knew I was geting God of War a week or so early and I was chatting with PowerPyx a lot about it. He asked if I wanted to do a co-op guide with him, where he'd post his on his own site and provide the videos/some info for the guide here, which I'd add to with my own detail and tie it all together into our formatting and have it ready on release day.

I would have happily done it but then I brought up the rule that Guide Team members can't write guides until after a month, so I eventually said no as I wasn't going to put all that effort in and have my guide closed for another one (whether that was superior or inferior) just because it had my name on it. With it being one of the biggest releases of the generation, I of course expected at least one other, if not two other guides.

Now we're almost two months down the line and we still don't have a guide. And if you want my truly honest answer as to why I dont write one now I have a green light...I simply can't be arsed.

I was under the assumption since Day 1 when I joined 5 years ago that this rule was for any guide, but it seems to be broken willynilly :shrugs:

Dude, grow up. Why do you think people like that system? It's quick, simple, and easy to reference a single trophy, not to mention WAY easier to write for the tons of people who want to help but are unable to commit to writing a full guide. How much you care about that method matters little to how convenient and effective it has proven to be at TA.

438336124818292737.png?v=1

How feasible would a Trophy Solutions style thing be for the forum? A community guide is great, but how do you keep it organized without it becoming problematic and useless? Would it be too much effort for some less popular games, and possibly games that have been out for a while without a guide, to make individual threads for each for people to post tips and strategies? Eventually, portions of those threads can be combined into a guide.

Assign a Guide Team member to 'overlook' a guide and piece the various bits of the community submissions together into a completed whole? Probably wouldn't work for smaller guides, but we can try it for big releases. Can trial it with Detroit, for example.

Let's be honest, it's not like we're as busy as we used to be :o

A non-real money alternative could be a bounty system. Each game without a guide is worth so many Krid-Dollars, which could later be "spent" on....something. Like Slamma posting a video of him singing a song of the buyer's choice, the ability to pick a gamenight/league no questions asked, an advantage during a community event, choosing which player I select in the first round of Fantasy Hockey. Be crazy, be creative, and be fun with the rewards. Games could offer up more Krid-Dollars if a guide is produced within the first week or two. We did something similar when I was in the 5th grade where we got fake money for good behavior and shit like that. Then we had an auction where we can buy toys. I bought a Master Roshi figure. It was a good time.

Superb idea. Here's 50 Krid-Dollars straight off the bat. Use it to redeem 100,000KW on the next Comraids update.

Edited by Darth_Krid

Haha thanks, Velvet, was mostly a shitpost from me but I'll take it.

Now, Krid - that's a staffer I can get behind. Look at all that sense-making right there. Soak it in. We could have had a Krid/Pyx guide up week one for God of War if I read that correctly but nonsensical rules struck that down. Imagine how much traffic a God of War guide would still bring in right now.

This is going very well.

Edit: New suggestion... eliminate the Feedback forum.

And this is probably the biggest non related to the owners/maintainers of the site that nothing gets accomplished. (not your post, olsen. The meaning behind it.)

Rarely, can a discussion be had that just devolves into gibberish or arguing or both.

I like this idea TheRealClayman, (if I owned the game) I would definitely take part in writing a community guide. I find writing a guide for a game with lots of trophies to daunting, which is why I've only written two guides, one PSN game which has 13 trophies and one DLC which has 4 trophies.