Iconoclasts - Trophy Guide and Roadmap

Illusionary

7iycv9I.jpg

Many thanks to Ashbo82 for the banner image.

Overview:

• Estimated trophy difficulty: 6/10 (poll)
  • Offline trophies: 11 (6(B), 4(S), 1(G))
  • Online trophies: None
  • Approximate amount of time to 100%: 25 hours (poll)
  • Minimum number of playthroughs: 2 (first playthrough + Challenge mode)
  • Number of missable trophies: None
  • Glitched trophies: None
  • Does difficulty affect trophies?: Yes - One-Hit Wonder requires the game to be completed on Challenge mode.
  • Do trophies stack?: Yes up to five times: EU PS4/EU Vita/NA PS4/NA Vita/JP PS4 & Vita
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies?: N/A
  • Additional peripherals required?: None

Introduction:

Iconoclasts is a side-scrolling action-platformer/'Metroidvania', set in a world overseen by a mysterious, sinister religious authority. Players take control of Robin, a self-taught mechanic following this trade despite a prohibition on her doing so from the religious leaders - and after coming to their attention, the game follows the course of her struggle against the authority, with implications ultimately at a much wider level. Developed over seven years by a single individual, Joakim "Konjak" Sandberg, the game features stunningly beautiful pixel art, alongside some excellent movement mechanics and puzzle design, along with its interesting story premise.

In terms of trophies, the majority of trophies in Iconoclasts can be collected from a single playthrough, coming from story progression and item collection, alongside a couple of optional boss battles. However, beating the game once will unlock 'Challenge Mode', a one-hit-kill mode (with saving still fully available) - and beating the game on this mode will award the game's final trophy.

Walkthrough:

Step 1: Complete the game once

Upon initial launch, two game difficulties are available: "standard" and "harder" - the latter giving enemies more health and causing them to do more damage - but you can choose either for this first run through the game, as there are no trophies tied to difficulty for this first playthrough. I'd strongly encourage you to play through the game without a guide for the best possible experience, as it's a fantastic game and using a guide excessively would risk spoiling that.

As you progress, keep an eye out for any collectibles that you might come across, but otherwise these can be collected post-completion.

Trophies earned in this step:

• Feature Creep (B)
  • Parrying Mechanic (B)
  • Coloring Agent (B)
  • Life Experience (B)
  • Pearly Gates (B)(H)
  • Pitch Black (B)(H)

Step 2: Clean up - collectibles and optional bosses

Once you've beaten the game once, now's the time to gather up any remaining collectibles and defeat the two optional bosses. Collectibles come in two main types - crafting ingredients and schematics for 'tweaks' (customisable upgrades) - see the Multitool and Beaucoup Booty trophies for details.

• Multitool (S)
  • Beaucoup Booty (S)
  • Psychopomps (S)(H)
  • Melodrama (S)(H)

Step 3: Challenge mode

After beating the game once, you'll unlock the game's third difficulty setting, "Challenge mode", which brings death with a single hit from any enemy. Fortunately, full saving functionality remains available. Judicious use of tweaks can help to mitigate the difficulty, but there's no doubt that this will be quite a tough challenge.

• One-Hit Wonder (G)

Edited by themindisacity
Editorial sweep

Trophy Guide:

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/6808/f6b.jpg Feature Creep (B)

Made a tweak.

'Tweaks' are Iconoclast's customisable upgrade mechanic. The game doesn't do a great job of explaining this system fully, so I'll take a moment to do so here.

As you progress through the game, you'll come across four types of ingredients that you can use for crafting 'tweaks', which allow you to customise Robin's abilities in a number of ways - these range from basic damage boosts to bonus abilities. Up to three tweaks can be equipped at once, including multiples of the same type for a cumulative effect - you can swap these in and out at any save point. Alongside ingredients, as you explore you'll also come across schematics, which increase the range of tweaks that Robin is able to craft, with the crafting itself done at dedicated crafting stations - marked with a "C" on the in-game map.

When you equip tweaks, the order is important, as taking damage will cause tweaks to become disabled, indicated by their icon (under the health bar) fading out - each hit that you take will disable one tweak, starting from the furthest to the right. Destroying enemies, opening chests and other actions will gradually restore the functionality of tweaks, indicated by a bar that gradually refills.

To earn this trophy, simply craft your first tweak.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/6808/3ee.jpg Parrying Mechanic (B)

Use the wrench to deflect danger.

As a mechanic, Robin relies on her wrench frequently throughout the game. Alongside its use for traversal and puzzle-solving, swinging the wrench (with :r2: or :circle:) can be used to deflect many projectile-based attacks that enemies use, sending it back in the enemy's direction.

To earn this trophy, simply use this deflection for the first time.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/6808/cee.jpg Coloring Agent (B)

Survive the encounter with an agent.

Story-related and unmissable.

Fairly early in the game, you'll engage in battle with one of the 'agents' of the religious authority - surviving this battle will award you with this trophy.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/6808/505.jpg Life Experience (B)

Complete the game.

Complete the game on any difficulty to earn this trophy. I'd encourage you to do so without using a guide for your first playthrough, but if you get stuck at any point, a full playthrough video is below (credit to YouTube user Indie James):

[ame]

[/ame]

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/6808/e94.jpg Multitool (S)

Make all main tweaks.

See Feature Creep for more information about tweaks.

To unlock this trophy, you'll need to locate the schematics for all tweaks, aside from the two awarded by defeating the two optional bosses, then craft each one (where multiples can be crafted, you only need one). Most schematics can be found as in-game items through exploration, but a few require completion of a short quest-line.

Here's a list of the tweaks that you'll need to craft:

• Iron Heart (can be crafted three times)
  • Tool Assist (can be crafted three times)
  • Fleet Foot (can be crafted three times)
  • Spindle (can be crafted three times)
  • Cooldown S.
  • Cooldown B.
  • Wavey Beam
  • Shock Value (can be crafted three times)
  • Breathless (can be crafted three times)
  • Detonator
  • Blast Radius
  • Dodger
  • Meditation
  • Sleuth

There are two further tweaks, but these are not required for the trophy:

• Featherweight - from defeating optional boss Mother's Corners
  • Roulette - from the area just before optional boss Fitzroy

The schematics have slightly different names, but the video below demonstrates how to find each one (credit to YouTube user frankcubed):

[ame]

[/ame]

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/6808/19d.jpg Beaucoup Booty (S)

Get all chests in one playthrough.

Chests contain crafting ingredients, used to craft tweaks at crafting stations, and can be found throughout most areas of the game. Some chests can be quite tricky to find, but once you've visited a map tile that includes a chest, the chest's presence will be indicated with a yellow square (note that this might also indicate the presence of a schematic). The game will tell you how far you've progressed towards finding all items in an area with a % in the map screen (if no % is shown, there are no items to find in the area). If you need help in finding any of them, here's a complete map (credit to Steam user Tetracube; see larger version here:

E8F5915218041E8094BD9CBFA7CD5C260FB3C5E4

Alongside this, YouTube user frankcubed has put together videos demonstrating how to find each chest, which you can find in his playlist

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/6808/c87.jpg One-Hit Wonder (G)

Beat Challenge mode.

"Challenge mode" is unlocked as a third difficulty level after beating the game once. In this mode, you'll die with a single hit, leaving no room for error. By now, hopefully you'll have good experience with pattern recognition for most enemies to help with this, but you can give yourself a bit more of a chance with the Iron Heart tweaks - each active instance of which will allow you to take a single additional hit, but bear in mind that you'll need the tweak to be in the right-most slot(s) to take effect.

Aside from this, beating this mode will come down to practice - and perhaps a little luck! This video from YouTube user Link_Z may help you with tackling any of the bosses that you might find yourself having trouble with:

[ame]

[/ame]

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/6808/f4c.jpg Pearly Gates (B)(H)

Reach the city.

Fairly late in the game, you'll eventually arrive at City One - upon which, you'll earn this trophy.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/6808/071.jpg Pitch Black (B)(H)

Protect the rocket.

Late in the game, you'll face off against Agent Black one final time. Defeat her to earn this trophy.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/6808/964.jpg Psychopomps (S)(H)

Defeat Mother's Corners.

Mother's Corners is an optional boss that you can fight towards the end of the game, with a schematic for the Featherweight tweak being awarded for success, alongside this trophy.

To face this boss, you'll first need to locate four dead pupils across the world - two in Blockrock, one in Ferrier Shockwood and one in The Tower - each of which has a note for you to collect (with a single word). Refer to the map provided in Beaucoup Booty for specific locations.

Once you've collected all four, go to the location in eastern Ferrier Shockwood, as marked on the map above, then drop through a hidden platform to the left of the savepoint to face Mother's Corners.

The following video from YouTube user horheristo demonstrates the preparatory quest and boss fight for both Mother's Corners and Fitzroy:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPzn3JKQ4d8[/ame]

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/6808/7fc.jpg Melodrama (S)(H)

Defeat Fitzroy.

Fitzroy is an optional boss that you can fight towards the end of the game, with a schematic for the Roulette tweak being awarded immediately prior to the fight, this this trophy upon success.

To face this boss, you'll first need to locate and speak with the NPC Letícia in a series of first locations across the world - in order, you'll find her in Blockrock, Share Wastelands, Ferrier Shockwood, Isilugar and Darland Ascent. Refer to the map provided in Beaucoup Booty for specific locations.

After doing so, travel to the Glass Strait and dive down deep on the right-hand side of the area to face off against Fitzroy - you'll need at least one Breathless tweak to reach this area, preferably two.

The following video from YouTube user horheristo demonstrates the preparatory quest and boss fight for both Mother's Corners and Fitzroy:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPzn3JKQ4d8[/ame]

Edited by themindisacity
Editorial sweep

• 6 months later...
I don't see why it would be any different, but I can't confirm, I'm afraid. Anyone else?

I don't either, but it's hard to say, especially with the recent patch. NG+ will still be challenging, but it will be far less frustrating than straight up NG. This game was easy enough, but not when you could get killed by the slightest graze.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I personally used the double jump that you get end-game in your initial run. This allows for some pretty substantial skips and makes a lot of dodging far easier.

This is a really great idea, I will be starting challenge mode soon :eek:.

Also just to clarify what I did for the optional bosses was that I beat the game first on normal then changed the difficulty to relaxed for collecting all the chests and fighting optional bosses - as in this mode you don't lose any health when you get hit making everything EASY!

Also:

To unlock this trophy, you'll need to locate the schematics for all tweaks, aside from the two awarded by defeating the two optional bosses, then craft each one (where multiples can be crafted, you only need one).

This is not true, you need to craft all the duplicates for the "Multitool" trophy to unlock.

Edited by BinkUncia

• 2 weeks later...

Can I obtain all of the collectibles after beating the game or does it completely end after the final boss? I’m about to head to City One and haven’t collected everything yet, so am wondering if I need to do it ASAP or if I can leave it for whenever.

Can I obtain all of the collectibles after beating the game or does it completely end after the final boss? I’m about to head to City One and haven’t collected everything yet, so am wondering if I need to do it ASAP or if I can leave it for whenever.

There's a reason why I have collectibles clean-up after beating the game in the roadmap. ;)

• 4 weeks later...