Mario Kart Tour

mcolwander90

You know what this means. They are going to spend tax payers money to create a new law saying people are not allowed to play Mario kart while driving. Don’t be a fool. Don’t Mario kart and drive

:eek: This is bound to happen. I was hit buy someone texting. She got a ticket but my back is fucked for life.

• 1 year later...

If this is on Android, I will definitely download it. I'm really not into Mobile games, I download them from time to time and have never gotten hooked on anything. But I will definitely try a Mobile Mario Kart.

Probably a tall ask, but hopefully it can get some kind of controller support. I have a conversion cable where I can plug a USB into my phone (I bought it for using a USB N64 Controller on Project64 Mobile). Playing racing games with on screen touch screen controls is practically impossible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Making a new post to give you all a lowdown.

- First things first, available characters and courses.

- Visually, it's pretty close to Mario Kart 7.

- To add to the MK7 vibes, most of the courses (all retro for now) come from MK7. SNES Mario Circuit 1 and SNES Choco Island 2 come from MKDS.

- The game is portrait only. This is because the game is designed for one hand play.

- Controls are Automatic by default. You can switch to Manual or Gyro if you'd prefer. Haven't tested out the latter two yet.

- Races are two laps.

- You get points per race. You get points for everything (boost, items, place, etc). At the end of the race, it tallies up and you get up to five stars per race. You unlock new cups and bonuses as you progress.

- Each cup is three races and a challenge. Challenges are kind of like those in MKDS. Things like "Drive through as many rings as possible". 16 cups as of right now.

- 50cc to start. I've since unlocked 100cc. 150cc and 200cc are also available to unlock.

- It has a Stamina system. Each race takes up a Heart. They recharge in ~10 min. You have five by default. You gain three after every level up. I have yet to run out as I level up quickly enough.

- Has a gatcha system as many of you expect. They're in the form of emeralds. Five for a single pull, 45 for a ten pull.

- Duplicates are a thing. Pulling one levels up that character/part. For example, getting Koopa Dasher to Lv2 grants me +1 coins for every time I hit a boost panel.

- Coins are back. This time you aren't limited to 10. You can spend them on parts that rotate every day.

- Coin Rush is a thing. Takes emeralds to play or a coin rush ticket. Just playing it once I got 774 coins.

- Parts are essentially the kart (no bikes) and glider.

- You get bonuses for using a specific character, kart, glider for each track. These are in tiers: One Star, Two Star, Three Star. For example, if you use Koopa on N64 Koopa Troopa Beach, you're allowed to carry three items at once. A two star character allows for two items.

- Items stored are used automatically when you hit an item box (EDIT: This can be turned off)

- If you get three of the same item (think roulette) you go into frenzy. It's basically a Star + you can spam whatever item you matched up.

- The anti-Blue Shell horn is back! So is the Giant Shroom.

- Each character has a special item (ex: Yoshi has eggs, Mario has fireballs, giant Bowser shell).

- No multiplater (yet?) but the AI you're racing has user names, so yay?

- You can unlock badges by completing challenges (ex: hit 10 racers with bananas). These badges are what's displayed next to your name in other people's games I guess.

- There's a ranking system. Once you unlock it (after completing four cups), you can go back and build up points. Higher the rankings, more emeralds you get. As of now, the rankings are only 20 people only, so maybe you're group with a random group of 20.

- No timed trials (yet?).

Edited by mcolwander90

Dope, I'm excited to try it out

It's honestly a fun game! Especially once you unlock 150cc and switch to Manual drifting. It's close to that satisfying drift precision recent MK games give you. Might not be something you'll be obsessed with (until online MP becomes a thing, if it ever does). Definitely a nice time waster.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I was given the option up front for steering or drifting. I chose drifting... so now all I do is hop and drift all the time?

Why can't I steer?

EDIT: Okay maybe i was just shit at it in the tutorial. Won my first race handily and the drifting controls felt good

Edited by Slamma

They really messed up the steering. It was much more smooth and satisfying in the beta. It's more annoying to control now, and I have no idea why they changed it :(

The stamina system is gone, thank the Lord. They did replace it with a limit to how much EXP you can earn for your drivers/karts and coin payouts from races each day. It's a little annoying but WAY better than before. It's a solid compromise.

I lucked out and got Pauline in one of my pulls (the current banner UR driver), so yay me!

Multiplayer is coming. In the menu, the option is grayed out and it says "Inbound!".

Read they have a subscription service, but costs more than Switch Online.

It's definitely pricier than it should be haha. Basically you get some extra handouts and challenges, but nothing that would make it worth it outside of access to 200cc (which I really wish was available to all...). But overall, I feel this and the other micros (which is hilariously price btw haha) are easy to ignore. Right now I feel a lot of the complaints you may see are a bit overblown and kneejerk. The more you play, the more you realize just how unnecessary and easy to ignore they are. I nearly unlocked everything in the beta, which was only two weeks, and had a awful stamina system. So I don't foresee any issues unlocking things now with the full version.

But when MP releases, my tune my change....

Edited by mcolwander90

Besides buying them and the daily login bonuses, is there any way to get gems?

Should I just use them on the pipe when I have them or is there any reason to save them?

the rule of thumb I saw on a similar game was to save them for events. Save them up until something comes out you REALLY want.

When I played FFRK they suggested saving them for the big celebrations when they had alot of items with increased draw rates on the random draws.

Of course... That random bullshit is very upsetting when you DO save it and you get nothing you wanted.

I don't know how applicable any of that is to this game, though.

Edited by shrapx

the rule of thumb I saw on a similar game was to save them for events. Save them up until something comes out you REALLY want.

When I played FFRK they suggested saving them for the big celebrations when they had alot of items with increased draw rates on the random draws.

Of course... That random bullshit is very upsetting when you DO save it and you get nothing you wanted.

I don't know how applicable any of that is to this game, though.

Pretty much this. Typically, you want to save until you can guarantee you'll get what you want. But this game is in its infancy, and there isn't much nor anything groundbreaking available, so just save them for the ten pull. Those 5 Rubies you save every time you do a ten pull add up. Patience is required for any gacha game. So it's basically waiting and doing whatever Ruby challenges you can. Coins definitely save up for something you want from the store.

One of the Ruby challenges require adding three friends, so to help anyone who wants/needs it, my ID is "2812-5382-1139".

One of the Ruby challenges require adding three friends, so to help anyone who wants/needs it, my ID is "2812-5382-1139".

Friends is greyed out and says "Unlocked when ranking is available."

Do I just need to keep progressing? I'm halfway through the Yoshi Cup.