Why are PC achievements not as valuable?

EdwardTheMartyr

PlayStation Trophies and Xbox Achievements are hands down the most valued systems in gaming. Why are Steam, Origin, and GOG.com achievements not as valued? Is it because these can be hacked? I have seen videos of people opening up a game in Notepad and getting a Steam achievement that way.

Trophies are favourite because they reward you for getting all the trophies in a game, something Xbox should've done, and there are tons of PlayStation games that are some of my favourites of all time.

I also only buy PC games on Origin or GOG.com nowadays, mostly just GOG.com unless it's an EA exclusive.

Value is what you make of it.

None of these are valuable to me anymore, and if I were to pick one to care about, it would be Steam achievements, as that's what I use the most. If you were to click on just one of my games, you'd be able to tell I never used Steam Achievement Manager or any other method to unlock an achievement, outside of legitimate play. I don't even know if I have any perfect games, haha.

• Like 1

Achievements on Steam became pretty pointless after some devs thought it would be a good idea to advertise their games just for achievements.

And no, we don't talk about games like Mayo, which is indeed a quick platinum - some games on Steam were so ridiculous that Valve needed to take actions and reduced the amount of achievements a game can have.

If you have some time, you can watch the vid and see how bad it really was:

[ame]

[/ame]

A game can now only have... 5000? achievements. That is still a lot and often gets abused.

Edited by Haptism

Achievements on Steam became pretty pointless after some devs thought it would be a good idea to advertise their games just for achievements.

And no, we don't talk about games like Mayo, which is indeed a quick platinum - some games on Steam were so ridiculous that Valve needed to take actions and reduced the amount of achievements a game can have.

I think you're going to find that on a lot of places... Remember the PS4 puzzle game that dropped a bit ago? Granted, PSN seemed to shut that down pretty quickly... did it ever get relisted?

At the end of the day, people are buying the games though... Why not throw them on there? If just 100 people buy it and play it long enough to ruin the refund policy, you'll have made ~$50-$100 on a game that probably cost $0.

I think you're going to find that on a lot of places... Remember the PS4 puzzle game that dropped a bit ago? Granted, PSN seemed to shut that down pretty quickly... did it ever get relisted?

At the end of the day, people are buying the games though... Why not throw them on there? If just 100 people buy it and play it long enough to ruin the refund policy, you'll have made ~$50-$100 on a game that probably cost $0.

Yea, what was it? Like '1000 rated' or something? It was available for all of about a day before being pulled. Who knows how it got through in the first place.

Yea, what was it? Like '1000 rated' or something? It was available for all of about a day before being pulled. Who knows how it got through in the first place.

Yep, that's the one.

I don't understand how people differentiate something like Mayo and 1000 Rated though... I really don't. Sure, one is just a weak asset flip for achievements... However, the other one is just a weak title with easy achievements and original artwork.

I don't have any other platform with achievments, well aside from PC but I never really cared for them, and the reason I think is because they don't have a platinum trophy. Playstation trophies work so well for me because of that little reward once you complete the full set of trophies, on other platform it's just a percentage of completion, if you don't have all the trophies it's no big deal, you can still get an high completion and be happy with it.

"Valuable" to who? I don't see PC/PS/Xbox trophies/achievements as valuable at all anyway. They're all the same rewards really, a little notification and some points.

There are Steam achievement sites though, not to the level of PS/Xbox, but they're out there. They're regulated though, mostly because there's some tech illiterate people that genuinely think you can unlock everything with SAM and no one would notice. Those people get instant banned from most tracking sites.

From what I've seen in PC communities though, achievement hunting just isn't a thing as there isn't a really tangible reward for it. You don't get profile level ups, it's just a side thing that's entirely optional.

The other thing is, PS and XBOX communities popped up over achievement hunting, not just for hunting by itself, but in terms of guides and communities. Guides on sites like this are fantastic, (and I use them for PC games too sometimes) - they basically filled a niche that other websites failed to cover (see: Gamefaqs which just listed achievements but that's it.)

They also present communities where people can team up and discuss their experiences of hunting, or playing the game etc, again - better than conventional sites were doing, it is no secret a lot of gaming forums are considered either toxic or juvenile. Places like this site and xboxachievements are more mature, or rather, better moderated, and like minded people are uniting together for the communities.

For the PC, these communities have no need to exist. Steam already presents Steam guides, of which nearly every game will have one or more trophy guides, various other walkthroughs and build guides. They don't need 'communities' as the forums are presented alongside the games and community guides.

So stuff like truesteamachievements, which is basically the PC version of this site, don't really 'pull' much of the community away. There's no need to, because the guides are already there, the communities are already available, and across a much wider spectrum of games (if I'm being honest.) And, unfortunately, people who make these sites don't pay enough attention to the community side of things, TSA for example has been there for a while now but is still not active like say, here, in terms of forums. There are some topics asking questions that don't get a 'staff' response for months on end. That's just poor.

On top of that, there are other sites competing, like astats, so an already thin hunting community is spread even more thinner.

Then again, that thin community is also divided. Those that do achievement hunt, or try to complete their games, have access to plenty of leaderboards etc. I remember when I was active here, and lurking here, there were always one or three people miles ahead of everyone else, and a lot of criticism directed their way was that they would buy crap-tier games, like Hannah Montana's great little adventure, and chew through achievements for the points. The same thing happens with the PC, except, there's a ton more games of Hannah Montana's ilk for 'stat padding'.

Some of these complaints are fair enough, unfortunately, some games get caught in the crossfire. Stuff like LOGistICAL for example, has 10 thousand achievements, but good luck getting them all legitimately in under 100+ hours. In fact, I've played it, 100+ hours and have netted 1,981 out of the base game's 2100 or something achievements. Lots of people paint that game and others as bad games or stat padding games where you start it and you achieve a thousand achievements in one second, but it isn't, and good luck to anyone who buys it thinking it is! :p

But anyway, for some people they just want to try and be completionist without stat padding etc, so there's two distinct communities, which I felt existed here as well, and as the community is already spread thin on PC, it is difficult for it to get traction.

Anyway, those are my views on why the PC Community doesn't "value" achievements as much as the console community, though IMHO, I think all the communities are very small anyway, even the console community for achievement/trophy hunting isn't quite that big as made out to be. Personally, I don't mind either way, as long as the communities exist and grows and the guides keep coming! ;)

• Like 1

It was 5 Star 1000 Top Rated. A "game" I admittedly bought for the shameful easy plat...and for curiosity sake. A dev team promoting their game solely on the basis of it being the "fastest platinum ever" (which it's not), was intriguing. They even posted a cheap way to do the puzzles faster, on Facebook.

As for Steam Achievements...someone had to value them to some regard. As far as I know they only became a thing because of PlayStation and Xbox. Me personally, I'm not a PC gamer...in fact in the near 7 years I've been on this site, this might be the first time posting in the PC section...so they mean nothing to me, but if I was a PC Gamer, I'd most likely be collecting the achievements.

As far as I know they only became a thing because of PlayStation and Xbox.

Steam Achievements actually came about after the introduction of achievements on the Xbox 360 but well before Sony dropped trophies. Valve released The Orange Box in 2007, and that was the first time Steam had achievements.

Sony didn't implement trophies until the second half of 2008, when they released Super Stardust and the first game with a platinum was Drake's Fortune. Trophies weren't fully implemented until 2009 though, which is when they made them a 'requirement'.

Edited by Tussell

• 4 months later...

I don't really care about trophies or achievements either way and don't put a value on anything but the games and the hardware.

The only thing that dampers down Steam achievements for me compared to XB1 cheeves or PlayStation trophies is the fact that some games on Steam don't have any achievements where their PlayStation/Xbox counterparts do but I've only seen this with past gen games and it's definitely not an issue that keeps me up at night.

The only thing that dampers down Steam achievements for me compared to XB1 cheeves or PlayStation trophies is the fact that some games on Steam don't have any achievements where their PlayStation/Xbox counterparts do but I've only seen this with past gen games and it's definitely not an issue that keeps me up at night.

That, and there are games that sell for less than a dollar that have ~5,000 achievements (that's the max I think?). These achievements are earned by idling the game for ~5 minutes while not doing anything.

Neither no achievements or 5,000 achievements bother me though anymore. That said, I do still go for achievements when I play a game, and I don't think that'll ever change. Getting 100% is a different story though. Regardless, I don't feel like anything is too much of a damper to enjoy the Steam achievement system.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If you have some time, you can watch the vid and see how bad it really was:

A game can now only have... 5000? achievements. That is still a lot and often gets abused.

I've heard about the 5000 achievements thing on PC, was told about some goofy flash game on there where you'd pretty much get all of them by simply playing it for the first time.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Personally, I try to do all achievements...when it's doable.

For example I'll do it for Dex, Guns, Gore & Canolli, Bioshock II Remastered and Infinite (I didn't really like Infinite, so it's a good opportunity to revisit it), Deus Ex Human Revolution, Dishonored (I don't have the sequels of thes two yet)...

But even if I'm a huge fan of Football Manager, it's too time consuming and (mostly) luck dependant (for example : one of your players has to score 6 goals in the same game, you have to win after being lead 2-0 at half-time...), so I unlock them as it goes.