Buyer Beware - Platinum Apparently Unobtainable Without DLC

EternalJehuty

Source:

I don't have Destiny 2 (loved D1 until they nerfed everything over and over, wasn't sure about how Bungie was handling D2 so I passed and have kept an eye on it - seems like a good decision at this point) so I can't verify this myself, but apparently the Prestige Raid and Nightfall are now light level 330 activities, and gear that is over light level 300 is restricted to characters over level 20 - which you can only reach if you have the DLC. So, it's not a matter of waiting until a non-DLC Nightfall map rotates through, you still won't be able to do it.

I know Destiny 1 locked certain weekly activities out if you didn't have DLC, but taking a quick look at the list, there aren't any original trophies you couldn't get if you just had vanilla. If I'm wrong, feel free to let me know, but I felt like this was worth putting out there so people knew.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems extremely scummy to me, like they totally shouldn't be allowed to get away with it but most likely are somewhere in that user agreement. Ahh well, no Platinum for me then. Couldn't be bothered enough to give these incompetent developers another $20 just for a trophy or two. If after all Bungie has done, they truly believe the best way forward is to yank base game content from those who DON'T buy the DLC, then that just ensures I've been fooled by them again and they'll never see another dime from me.

Edited by Creasy007

This is wrong Jinto

The Prestige

Complete the Leviathan raid or a Nightfall strike on Prestige difficulty.

Is now behind a paywall. You need the DLC to play a prestige raid or nightfall because the requirement for prestige is now light level 330 and you can't reach 330 without the dlc.

Trails as well

This doesn't feel like a surprise. Just by the DLC and get all the trophies.

Real nice kfree, your solution is for people to suck it up and pay more money into the game to be able to play content they already paid for that's now locked away behind a paywall.

I think people are justified in their anger. Obviously, I don't expect to be able to play new content if I don't buy the DLC, but an expansion shouldn't lock people out of content that was playable in the vanilla game. It was handled a bit differently in Destiny 1. I defended against these types of complaints in the first game, but as I said, some things were handled differently back then.

As of now people without the latest add-on are locked out of the following activities, all of which were part of the core game:

-Leviathan Raid (Prestige Mode)

-Nightfall Strike (Prestige Mode)

-Trials of the Nine

This seems extremely scummy to me, like they totally shouldn't be allowed to get away with it but most likely are somewhere in that user agreement. Ahh well, no Platinum for me then. Couldn't be bothered enough to give these incompetent developers another $20 just for a trophy or two. If after all Bungie has done, they truly believe the best way forward is to yank base game content from those who DON'T buy the DLC, then that just ensures I've been fooled by them again and they'll never see another dime from me.

I really don't know what they're thinking at this point. They're doing a bang up job of pissing people off and alienating the folks that kept this game going when the rest of the world was shitting all over it. Oh well, either they'll get what's coming to them or they won't. They've seen their last dollar from me and that's the best that I can do to show my dissatisfaction towards the direction of the game.

I really don't know what they're thinking at this point.

Odds are this is one of those things that they didn't think of at all, based on how I perceive Bungie anyway. They have their head way too far up their own ass to actually think about something like this IMO.

That said, it's pretty scummy to lock the Platinum behind DLC ownership. Luckily I already have the Platinum since I haven't played the game since early October and have zero intention of buying anything from Bungie until I see what changes are made between now and next fall. Odds are I'm 100% done with Destiny as a franchise, but I'll wait and see for now. Maybe pick up the "everything" edition in a couple of years for less than I'd pay for the D2 Y1 expansion pass today.

Odds are this is one of those things that they didn't think of at all, based on how I perceive Bungie anyway. They have their head way too far up their own ass to actually think about something like this IMO.

That said, it's pretty scummy to lock the Platinum behind DLC ownership. Luckily I already have the Platinum since I haven't played the game since early October and have zero intention of buying anything from Bungie until I see what changes are made between now and next fall. Odds are I'm 100% done with Destiny as a franchise, but I'll wait and see for now. Maybe pick up the "everything" edition in a couple of years for less than I'd pay for the D2 Y1 expansion pass today.

They did the exact same thing in the first game (not sure if it affected trophies, but I know it definitely locked off base game content at times), so there's no way it's an accident. Like WalterWhite said, the best (and only) thing to do is vote with your wallet. It's why I didn't pre-order the season pass, nor did I pre-order the game. Picked it up used out of a lack of other stuff to play, and had my fill just two or three weeks in.

They did the exact same thing in the first game (not sure if it affected trophies, but I know it definitely locked off base game content at times)

Yes, they did, but it didn't affect trophies. I ran into this when I returned to D1 a few months after Rise of Iron released and literally couldn't do anything without owning the DLC. But impacting base game trophies with paid DLC is particularly scummy behavior.

Agreed that, ultimately, the only way to express your dissatisfaction with this sort of thing is to not buy the game in the first place. Odds are that will be a smart move going forward, just like not buying the expansion pass for D2 was a smart move considering how minimal the content appears to be.

Taken King was the third DLC after 1 year, Curse of Osiris is the first dlc after 3 Months..you see the difference? ;)

Again, its not like they hadn't done it before. I see the difference but it's a glaring enough difference to justify all the "OMG I CANT GET MY PLAT NOW" posts.

Not to mention most developers don't give two shits about trophies/achievements... they're an afterthought. Trophy/Achievement hunting is niche.

One can only hope they take a page from Squeenix' book. :ninja:

I hope Bungie change this shit, because im not pay 20€ for a DLC, i only want to play the game. I did the Platinum on Destiny 1 before the first DLC comes out, the flawless trophy on Atheon and no cheese on Crota. i did it legit! Now i cant get the Platinum on Destiny 2.

One can only hope they take a page from Squeenix' book. :ninja:

Lol. Bungie being Bungie, they won’t admit they fucked up.

They did it with Destiny (albeit, just game features being locked behind the dlc), so it was bound to haopen with Destiny 2.

Edited by Combatting

Real nice kfree, your solution is for people to suck it up and pay more money into the game to be able to play content they already paid for that's now locked away behind a paywall.

I think people are justified in their anger. Obviously, I don't expect to be able to play new content if I don't buy the DLC, but an expansion shouldn't lock people out of content that was playable in the vanilla game. It was handled a bit differently in Destiny 1. I defended against these types of complaints in the first game, but as I said, some things were handled differently back then.

As of now people without the latest add-on are locked out of the following activities, all of which were part of the core game:

-Leviathan Raid (Prestige Mode)

-Nightfall Strike (Prestige Mode)

-Trials of the Nine

I really don't know what they're thinking at this point. They're doing a bang up job of pissing people off and alienating the folks that kept this game going when the rest of the world was shitting all over it. Oh well, either they'll get what's coming to them or they won't. They've seen their last dollar from me and that's the best that I can do to show my dissatisfaction towards the direction of the game.

Our crew is in it for the long hall. Frustration is understandable but you have to buy it to continue on to the next DLC and season. I've enjoyed the friends we game with. So it's been fun. As much money as many people have spent on Micros with Warframe, this does seem out of the ordinary. Every company seems to keep expecting more and more buys to complete a game. Meant nothing by it Walter. I'm old and harmless. Hope there is a way to take a cheap route to get everything done. I've yet to figure that out. Please let the members know if you do. Thank you Walter.

Our crew is in it for the long hall. Frustration is understandable but you have to buy it to continue on to the next DLC and season. I've enjoyed the friends we game with. So it's been fun. As much money as many people have spent on Micros with Warframe, this does seem out of the ordinary. Every company seems to keep expecting more and more buys to complete a game. Meant nothing by it Walter. I'm old and harmless. Hope there is a way to take a cheap route to get everything done. I've yet to figure that out. Please let the members know if you do. Thank you Walter.

My previous post had nothing to do with the platinum trophy, it was about

being

out

of

activities

included

with

the

base

game

if

you

don't

purchase

the

DLC.

I sank over 1300 active hours into Destiny 1. Destiny 2 was stale to me at 84 active hours. And Curse of Osiris is just plain offensive from a consumer rights standpoint, especially for PC players. There is no reason whatsoever why half of the content they purchased literally a month, a month and a half max ago, should be locked behind a paywall.

It is a well known fact that D2 has a shallow, pointless, monotonous endgame... apparently Bungie's solution to this is remove it, unless you'll give us more money? What brilliant business mind thought that would increase the morale of their most dedicated players, let less attract new ones?

The friendgame is out, the spendgame is in, and a 1.6 out of 10 user score on Metacritic says it all.