I've seen so many of these types of threads for other games that I was sure there would be a similar one for Rocket League. To my amazement, there isn't one. Firstly, I just want to say how much I love this incredible game. I've been playing it since day one when it came as one of the :ps+: monthly games and I easily have more than 1,000 hours sunk into it.

The fact there is no complaints/bitching thread for the game is testament to how popular it is. That, or people are too afraid to say a bad word about the game :p Bitching probably sounds a bit harsh in this regard, but I know that I can't be the only one who feels aggrieved at certain things in the game and it's online modes. Thus, I have decided to create this thread where people can discuss any and all things that annoy, anger, frustrate or in other words, make you want to pull your hair out :p

*If this thread doesn't receive enough responses to justify it's creation then it can be locked and hidden away forever.*

So, i'll get the ball rolling. As stated above, bitching is probably a little harsh sounding. What I have are more akin to slight annoyances. I'll start with the game itself. My only real gripe with the gameplay in Rocket League relates to the hit detection of the various cars, 'hitboxes' so to speak (invisible boxes surrounding each car that determine where each car can touch or hit the ball). Now for the most part, these boxes are all essentially the same, however I believe that the Octane car has the largest of these 'hitboxes', hence why it's one of the most popular cars used online. My complaint isn't with the hitboxes, but with the fact that despite knowing each car's hitbox area, it's still an extremely common occurrence to miss the ball by a minuscule fraction. That's not a big deal, except when it results in losing a goal or a key shot, as it so often does. Not major, but still very annoying when that one shot can win or draw a game.

My second grievance happens to relate to the Rumble mode. Firstly, I was never a huge fan of the mode, but it can be fun at times. My complaint here is with the balancing of the powers. I'm sure i'm not the only one who gets fucked over time and time again by spikes. You are supposed to receive a power no more than twice in the same game (but this resets in overtime). That works fine, but the frequency that certain people get the OP powers such as spikes while you get the crap powers is annoying as hell. It's completely unfair and just the luck of the draw, but it rarely balances out in the end. I can go games on end without receiving spikes, while other players can get them all the time. Now, if you are clever enough you can make plays that counteract whatever power is in use, even if you don't have a power ready to use yourself, but that isn't always easy to do, especially if someone is always getting spikes or the boxing glove power. Also it's rare that any two powers counteract each other, and a lot of the time they just flat out fail to work in that way. I just feel like the powers in Rumble were very poorly thought out and so is the way in which you receive them. Rumble can make even the most average player look great if that player just happens to be lucky with getting the better powers more frequently.

Probably my biggest gripe with the game is with it's MP modes. It has to be the most toxic community of gamers I have personally come across. It's so bad at times that I have to just stop playing the game and take a break for a few days. I'm talking the usual gay slurs, racial abuse, you name it, type comments. They are so frequent, like once a game at least, and when one guy starts, his/her teammates usually join in on the action. It's pathetic and just ruins and otherwise near perfect gaming experience. Very rarely, like maybe 2/3 out of every 10 games do you get decent, respectful teammates and opposition players. Reporting does little or nothing at all so it's kinda like, what's the point? I understand you get this with every online community, some a lot worse than others but I feel like Rocket League is as bad, if not worse than COD ever used to be, and COD is pretty much the gold standard of online trolling heaven.

Staying with online, I am sick to death of idiots literally stopping in their tracks in the middle of a game so they can type trade? a million times per game. Like what the hell? :mad: Worst feature ever introduced to the game imo. This happens so often, it's just ridiculous. Is waiting until the end of a game so damn hard?! Also if I see the word noob one more time... Which ironically comes from noobs too embarrassed to show their titles most of the time :facepalm: I had one guy call me a noob because our team lost, despite the fact I scored 5 goals and we lost 6-5 because he let the ball in :facepalm:

/Rant

I'll start with the game itself. My only real gripe with the gameplay in Rocket League relates to the hit detection of the various cars, 'hitboxes' so to speak (invisible boxes surrounding each car that determine where each car can touch or hit the ball). Now for the most part, these boxes are all essentially the same, however I believe that the Octane car has the largest of these 'hitboxes', hence why it's one of the most popular cars used online. My complaint isn't with the hitboxes, but with the fact that despite knowing each car's hitbox area, it's still an extremely common occurrence to miss the ball by a minuscule fraction. That's not a big deal, except when it results in losing a goal or a key shot, as it so often does. Not major, but still very annoying when that one shot can win or draw a game.

"Largest" isn't probably the correct term to use, as you're looking at the height, width and length of the car. You could essentially say the Mantis is the "largest" car, as it's surface area of width/length is a lot greater than that of the Octane. The Octane is a popular car as it essentially an all-rounder, in the sense it's hit box is more shaped like a, well... box. It's H/W/L are all very confined, so it's an ideal car to use. It's by no means the superior car though, they all have pros and cons.

I think missing the ball by such margins comes down to your own judgement and reactions when attacking/defending the ball, as oppose to it being the fault of the hitbox of the cars, which does somewhat surprise me if you've put in over 1,000 hours into the game. As for the Rumble game mode, I only ever play competitive online so it's not really my area to comment on.

Probably my biggest gripe with the game is with it's MP modes. It has to be the most toxic community of gamers I have personally come across. It's so bad at times that I have to just stop playing the game and take a break for a few days. I'm talking the usual gay slurs, racial abuse, you name it, type comments. They are so frequent, like once a game at least, and when one guy starts, his/her teammates usually join in on the action. It's pathetic and just ruins and otherwise near perfect gaming experience. Very rarely, like maybe 2/3 out of every 10 games do you get decent, respectful teammates and opposition players. Reporting does little or nothing at all so it's kinda like, what's the point? I understand you get this with every online community, some a lot worse than others but I feel like Rocket League is as bad, if not worse than COD ever used to be, and COD is pretty much the gold standard of online trolling heaven.

The community is pretty awful online, however Psyonix are taking steps to address the people causing these issues. The report function on this game should be used now more than ever, all the details as to why can be found here:

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/rocket-league/313270-rocket-league-issue-bans-trolling-using-foul-language.html

But in a nutshell, if anyone is using foul language, racial slurs and all the rest, still report them. They now have a system in place that will automatically detect certain words/phrases within a filed report, which will trigger automatic sanctions, depending on the severity of the words used.

Another alternative is to turn your text chat to "Team Only". This will at least eliminate your 3 opponents from appearing in the text chat and triggering you with taunting or abusive comments. If your own teammates are typing inappropriate things also, you can mute them. Doing so will stop them from appearing in text chat also. The fact you've had to take a break from the game for days solely because of this, I'd highly suggest you start filtering your text chat with the methods mentioned above so you can enjoy the game without the abuse.

Staying with online, I am sick to death of idiots literally stopping in their tracks in the middle of a game so they can type trade? a million times per game. Like what the hell? Worst feature ever introduced to the game imo. This happens so often, it's just ridiculous. Is waiting until the end of a game so damn hard?! Also if I see the word noob one more time... Which ironically comes from noobs too embarrassed to show their titles most of the time I had one guy call me a noob because our team lost, despite the fact I scored 5 goals and we lost 6-5 because he let the ball in.

I can understand your frustration at people not moving in the game to talk/trade, this is why I no longer play with randoms and only friends in a party. I have to disagree with saying trading is the worst feature introduced though, trading has opened up so many avenues for people to customise their cars without having to sit on the games for 10's and 100's of hours just to get specific items to drop.

As far as competitive matches are concerned, you see less of the "wanna trade?" nonsense the higher ranked up you get, as players further up tend to focus more on playing and winning, than wanting to trade you for your wheels. Not to say it never happens, as it does occasionally, but I noticed your competitive rank is averaged around the Silver tier, where you're more likely to come across a lot of moderately new players that want the 'cool new items'. All I can really suggest is only playing in a party with friends, you have no control over what random players are going to do in the game. As for being called a noob, again I would just suggest filtering your chat in future. I hope you find more enjoyment from Rocket League if you continue to play it, it's a fun game when you eliminate those that try to make it otherwise.

So, i'll get the ball rolling. As stated above, bitching is probably a little harsh sounding. What I have are more akin to slight annoyances. I'll start with the game itself. My only real gripe with the gameplay in Rocket League relates to the hit detection of the various cars, 'hitboxes' so to speak (invisible boxes surrounding each car that determine where each car can touch or hit the ball). Now for the most part, these boxes are all essentially the same, however I believe that the Octane car has the largest of these 'hitboxes', hence why it's one of the most popular cars used online. My complaint isn't with the hitboxes, but with the fact that despite knowing each car's hitbox area, it's still an extremely common occurrence to miss the ball by a minuscule fraction. That's not a big deal, except when it results in losing a goal or a key shot, as it so often does. Not major, but still very annoying when that one shot can win or draw a game.

I don't use the Octane, but I am aware that each car has its own 'hit box'. As for missing the ball, it is more or less down to judgement or the opposing player just being that second quicker and nipping the ball away.

I agree the community can be very toxic, especially in ranked. Players calling out other players because of their rank is something that I don't agree on. I think players get so obsessed with whatever rank they or the opposing team are, and jump on it immediately after the game.

This is one of the few games that I adore and I sometimes wish that there was no competitive as it brings out the worst in people, "OMG, ur xx rank, delete ur game, kys".

But there is a report button and a language detect filter now thankfully.

Staying with online, I am sick to death of idiots literally stopping in their tracks in the middle of a game so they can type trade? a million times per game. Like what the hell? :mad: Worst feature ever introduced to the game imo. This happens so often, it's just ridiculous. Is waiting until the end of a game so damn hard?! Also if I see the word noob one more time... Which ironically comes from noobs too embarrassed to show their titles most of the time :facepalm: I had one guy call me a noob because our team lost, despite the fact I scored 5 goals and we lost 6-5 because he let the ball in :facepalm:

/Rant

I haven't seen much of this lately as I rarely play with randoms, but when I do and they decide to start a conversation during the game, it is annoying :p

Edited by _MK_

*Snip*

*Snip*

Both of you make some good points. In regards to the hitboxes, yeah it definitely is me a lot of the time. I never meant to sound like 'one of those guys' who can do no wrong and it must be the game's fault :p However I am absolutely convinced that on a number of occasions, the hit just failed to register. I've played games before with friends where it happened and even they couldn't believe I missed the ball. I don't know if it's 100% accurate all of the time or if it is really just me. I mean, some FPS games have similar issues with hit detection so you never know :p

In terms of the trading, yeah I guess I was overreacting slightly. It is a good feature but the way it works isn't so great. Surely they knew people would be spamming the chat with requests to trade, thus interrupting games and ruining them for players. If the game had something akin to FIFA Ultimate Team where you can place items in a trade market, that would work much better I think, maybe it wouldn't, but surely anything has to be better than enduring trade requests in the middle of games :p A dedicated trading section that all players can use would be useful, though I'm not sure how they would implement it. Just a thought.

Relating to the MP, I still use the report function when I feel I really have to but it is annoying having to do so. It's good to hear there is a new system in place though. I wasn't aware of it, so hopefully we start to see improvements in the community. A lot of kids etc play the game so it really shouldn't be like the way it is, for anyone really but especially kids. I don't mind banter and lighthearted joking but it goes way overboard quite frequently.

I hear what you're saying about not playing with randoms but a lot of the time it isn't a choice. Even so you shouldn't have to put up with it while playing with randoms. As I've said, it's naive to think that any game with an online community is going to be troll free but I feel that the levels seen in Rocket League are disproportionately high, but as above, hopefully the new system with bans etc severely hinder any would be trolls from populating the MP.

It really is a fantastic game and besides the two small niggles I have with the gameplay, I don't have any other complaints about the game. At this moment it's only the MP that let's it down in any way but I do hope that gets rectified sooner rather than later. I feel if it isn't, it might turn a lot of people away from it going forward.

Edited by The Alchemist

/Rant

Titles don't mean shit in this game. Someone can be a master but play shit. It really isn't that hard to rank up in this game. I can be a low-level person who is a pro at the game.

I hide my title as I see no point in it whatsoever.

A noob calling someone else a noob is either at the bottom of the leaderboard or a noob themselves.

Titles don't mean shit in this game. Someone can be a master but play shit. It really isn't that hard to rank up in this game. I can be a low-level person who is a pro at the game.

I hide my title as I see no point in it whatsoever.

A noob calling someone else a noob is either at the bottom of the leaderboard or a noob themselves.

I agree, titles don't mean anything. A lot of people even hide theirs on purpose as it's often assumed that if you don't display your title, you're a noob. They then proceed to whoop the opposition :p I don't really pay attention to it myself. As you said, it's easy to rank up. I just find it funny that people constantly throw that name about in the chat regardless of how well you actually do. They get pissed off and blame everyone else even when it's usually their own fault for losing the match.

My only gripe was psyonix caving and changing and removing the original Neo Tokyo from online play. I loved that map and now I find it as karmic justice the complainers have to put up with starbase now.

Edit: so now wasteland and starbase are being changed into standard maps. So add that to my peeves I guess.

Edited by GoTp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm disappointed in the monetisation route they've gone down. Microtransactions are unwelcome, but nowadays part and parcel with most games. However, did they have to make the storefront stand out so obnoxiously on the main page?

And they've gone down the Counterstrike route of lootboxes with keys, and no way to earn the keys in game- thus you're left with a load of lootboxes taunting you to pay to open them. This is a disappointing part of the game I have to say.

I'm disappointed in the monetisation route they've gone down. Microtransactions are unwelcome, but nowadays part and parcel with most games. However, did they have to make the storefront stand out so obnoxiously on the main page?

And they've gone down the Counterstrike route of lootboxes with keys, and no way to earn the keys in game- thus you're left with a load of lootboxes taunting you to pay to open them. This is a disappointing part of the game I have to say.

You don't have to pay a penny to open crates.

You can get "decryptors" from the seasonal events they do to open crates.

And if you really don't like seeing those crates in your inventory, just trade them to someone else.

• 1 month later...

Seriously what is up with the servers these days?! The lag is unbearable at times. Every 5/6 games out of 10 will be laggy or have issues. The amount of goals I've either missed or conceded, or teammates just stood still due to lag isn't even funny anymore. Even the menu lags a shit tonne. It's gone from being one of the most stable games to an absolute mess at times. I'm still not sure if some of these issues are a PS4 Pro issue or if it's a widespread thing but it's pissing me off big time. All the money they make yet they can't sort the connectivity Issues out :rolleyes:

Seriously what is up with the servers these days?! The lag is unbearable at times. Every 5/6 games out of 10 will be laggy or have issues. The amount of goals I've either missed or conceded, or teammates just stood still due to lag isn't even funny anymore. Even the menu lags a shit tonne. It's gone from being one of the most stable games to an absolute mess at times. I'm still not sure if some of these issues are a PS4 Pro issue or if it's a widespread thing but it's pissing me off big time. All the money they make yet they can't sort the connectivity Issues out :rolleyes:

I don't think it's down to the PS4 Pro as I've played quite a few games over the last few weeks and I've had no connection issues. My ping has pretty much consistently been between 15 and 35 and only one game I hit a tiny bit of lag. Has anything changed with your internet maybe?

I don't think it's down to the PS4 Pro as I've played quite a few games over the last few weeks and I've had no connection issues. My ping has pretty much consistently been between 15 and 35 and only one game I hit a tiny bit of lag. Has anything changed with your internet maybe?

Nah mate, the reason I bring the Pro up is because one of the last patches released was apparently a Pro only patch but i'm not 100% what it was for. Someone said online it was for stability issues. What exactly that means I dunno...

The lag is a widespread issue unfortunately. My Internet is pretty decent and I've never had issues before with this particular game. There's a lot of stuff about it online and even in game a lot of people have mentioned it. I've seen guys ping shoot up to the high hundreds. My ping rarely exceeds 40 yet I'll usually get the disconnection symbol thing come up. I don't know what's causing it but it's definitely from their side. I would say you got very lucky :p Even the main menus lag a load all the time. The game just isn't that stable anymore

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
You don't have to pay a penny to open crates.

You can get "decryptors" from the seasonal events they do to open crates.

And if you really don't like seeing those crates in your inventory, just trade them to someone else.

While this is better than some games, having crates only be unlockable via seasonal items (unless you pay ofc) is pretty BS. Here, want something other than the boring af skins you get from non-crate rewards? NAH, wait til an event or PAY UP. So scummy lol

• 10 months later...

I mostly just laugh at the trash talkers, the vast majority of them just plain suck at the game. If they aren't mashing the "wow" or "what a save" buttons, the only insult many can seem to conjure up with their limited vocabulary is "Trash".. LOL.. most often the person jawing off is the one in last place, meanwhile I'm working on a hat trick soooo not particularly bothersome.

When someone gets right shitty spouting racial or homophobic slurs though I just report them. No place or excuse for that in any instance. Another aspect where it bothers me is when they start purposefully playing against their own team scoring on our own net, which I then report as Unsportsmanlike Behavior. I've received several messages from the developer about action taken against users based on a report I filed, so nice to see them taking those issues seriously.

It can be annoying when you get stuck with a player that is constantly chasing the ball around aimlessly and hitting it without a purpose in any/every direction, but usually when that happens I tend to play D more to try and prevent their inevitable own goal or bad pass to the slot. Not everyone can think the game and strategize a few moves ahead of the play, especially at such a fast pace. For the most part I try to offer encouragement and coaching to players, either with a quick "rotate pls", "don't chase", or "spread out", and I also hit alot of quick buttons for both teammates and opposition to give them a (sincere) "nice shot" "great pass" "what a save" or "close one".. positive reinforcement and sportsmanship is much more effective and enjoyable for everyone. Some opposing players have flat out told me that I'm too nice lol :shrugs:

I have about 11 days worth of play time in the game since it was a free :ps+: download in Jan 2016, around level 400 with ~4000 matches played, and am consistently in the platinum rankings. I only ever play ranked matches as it seems to be at least marginally less toxic then casual and there are less rage quitters as you get a 5 min+ suspension for bailing during a ranked match. Overall it's a fun game to just drop in and play for a bit in between other games or while trying to decide what game I want to play. The only people the toxics are really hurting is themselves but they're likely too dumb or ignorant to realize it.

Edited by felatio

Snakemaru what was your workaround fix for Car Collector? Backing up your save, deleting your profile and booting the game?

1. Backed-up my local saved data to a USB.

2. Erase the local saved data from my PS4.

3. Started Rocket League game.

4. Trophy popped after pressing any button at the Main Menu.

To retain all my progress after getting the trophy.

5. Closed the game.

6. Copied my saved data from USB to PS4.

7. Started Rocket League game again to check if all are intact.