Nioh - Dragon of the North ~ Trophy Guide and Roadmap

Sellers

PrxJ5VO.png

Banner by Haptism

Found this guide via google search? Did another member recommend this guide to you? Did you find it helpful or have any questions or suggestions?

Then click here and register on the forums today! If you find this guide posted on any other website, then please message me.

Roadmap

Overview:

• Estimated trophy difficulty: 6/10 (Personal Estimate, highly skill dependent)
  • Offline trophies: 13 (13(B))
  • Online trophies: 0
  • Approximate amount of time to 100%: 50+ Hours
  • Minimum number of playthroughs: Almost 2, most missions on Way of the Strong then every mission on Way of the Demon
  • Number of missable trophies: None
  • Glitched trophies: None
  • Does difficulty affect trophies?: Yes, you must complete every single mission on Way of the Demon
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies?: No cheat codes

Dragon of the North is the first of three separate DLC packs released for Nioh. This includes a new region called Tohoku which is available once you have completed the main game mission 'The Queen's Eyes'. This new region acts like all others in the game and contains 3 main missions, 7 side missions and 1 Twilight mission. The missions are harder than the main game, but with your end game equipment you won't have too much trouble completing them on Way of the Samurai (although on Way of the Demon I found them considerably more difficult than the main game's missions). There are also a few new enemies in the DLC and on Way of the Demon in the main game.

In this guide I will list as many hints and tips as possible to make the ride easier. With proper preparation and a good build, you can make Way of the Demon less daunting than it seems.

Thanks to PowerPyx, aquCHAOS and grooselog for the videos in the guide!

Walkthrough

Step 1 - Complete all new missions, side missions whilst finding all Kodama and Hot Springs

During this step, complete every mission in the Tohoku region, whilst also collecting all Kodama and finding all Hot Springs in the process.

By the end of this step you will have unlocked:

A Reunion with Hanzo (B)

Awakened Abition (B)

The Snoldering Flames of War (B)

Oshu Explorer (B)

Oshu Guide (B)

Hot Spring Enthusiast (B)

Eluding the Dragon (B)

Conqueror of Aoba Castle

Good Listener (B)

Step 2 - Complete every mission on Way of the Demon, upgrade equipment to +15

In this step you want to unlock Way of the Demon by completing main game mission 'The Queen's Eyes' on Way of the Strong (if you have not already done so), then complete everything on Way of the Demon.

Destroyer of Demons (B)

The Chosen One (B)

Step 3 - Cleanup

If you have yet to earn the Mystic Art for the Odachi or farmed enough Glory for a female skin, make this your final goal.

Odachi Master (B)

Female Impersonator (B)

Edited by Terminator
Updated the video credits.

Trophy Guide

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4211/d76.jpg A Reunion with Hanzo (B)

Completed "Yokai Country."

Story related and cannot be missed

You will earn this trophy upon completing 'Yokai Country', the first mission main available in the region.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4211/eda.jpg Awakened Ambition (B)

Completed "The One-Eyed Dragon's Castle."

You will earn this trophy upon completing 'The One-Eyed Dragon's Castle', the second main mission available in the region.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4211/6cb.jpg The Smoldering Flames of War (B)

Completed "Spirit Stone Huntress."

You will earn this trophy upon completing 'Spirit Stone Huntress', the third and final main mission available in the region.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4211/6d5.jpg Oshu Explorer (B)

Completed all Tohoku region missions.

For this trophy you need to complete every mission in the new region which comprises of the 3 main and 7 side missions listed below. You do not need to complete the Twilight Mission for Yokai Country.

• Yokai Country
  • The One-Eyed Dragon's Castle
  • Spirit Stone Huntress
  • Wandering Child
  • A Cursed Doppelganger
  • Disturbances in the North
  • A Gilded Deception
  • Bovine Demon
  • Become Thy Enemy
  • Hands of the Dragon

Edited by themindisacity
Editorial sweep

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4211/d4b.jpg Destroyer of Demons (B)

Completed all "Way of the Demon" missions.

This is by far the hardest and most time consuming trophy in the DLC and whole game. Not only do you have to complete Way of the Samurai, you also have to complete most missions on Way of the Strong to unlock 'The Queen's Eyes' which upon completion will unlock Way of the Demon difficulty. You must then complete EVERY single mission on Way of the Demon. When I say every mission I mean everything from the main game, including Twilight, Dojo, Tohoku region and all missions added by the 1.06 patch, some of which are considerably more difficult than the base game missions.

General Tips:

• Upgrading Equipment - Powerful equipment drops very regularly on Way of the Demon. You can get many Divine items that are commonly +7 and above right from the first mission. Make sure you are always soul matching to upgrade equipment to combat the more powerful enemies and bosses. See The Chosen One for gold farming tips.
  • Weapon/Armour Skills - The skills on your weapons and armour will be more important than the equipment itself in most instances, especially on weapons. An excellent way of getting weapons/armour with excellent transferable bonuses are by killing revenants left by other players on Death to Bandits Way of the Strong. The shoreline and general area is where a lot of players purposely die and drop weapons and armour with great skills on, so feel free to farm here as I did to get useful skills to soul match transfer to your own weapon. You can see the skills I used in my build below.
  • New Enemies - Some enemies can kill you in a single hit depending on your build, in particular the new red enemies which are special variants with several buffs. I recommended debuffing them with sloth and weakness talismans to defeat them quickly, as they can give you hell. What you will also notice is the new blue Ninja Yokai; they are similar to the main game counterpart but will also shoot you with a handcannon from range very quickly. Projectile enemies in general have a much higher rate of fire here which can be difficult to manage during a fight so take them out quickly. Other than that, enemy layout is mostly the same as on Way of the Strong.
  • Kodama Blessing - Use the Healer Blessing (you should have all Kodama collected before attempting this). The 25% Elixir drop rate increase allows you to heal very frequently and engage most enemies on maximum health.
  • Co-op - Don't be afraid to summon visitors as this can be a huge help, especially as a lot of players use Ninja builds which are extremely powerful.
  • Quick Change Scroll - This is extremely useful and I would say it is almost mandatory as it can save you from death once per use. It lasts a while and you can carry up to 3 at a time if you fully upgrade it (which I strongly recommend that you do).
  • Useful Ninjitsu Skills - Quick Change III, Medicine Man III, Power Pill III, Dodging III, Dashing III and the Enlightenment Mystic Art.
  • Useful Onmyo Skills - Sloth Talisman III, Weakness Talisman III, Heaven Cursed Earth II, Steel Talisman, Evil Ward III, Carnage Talisman III and the Awakening Mystic Art.
  • Elemental Talismans - I mainly used Earth as it paired well with the Raging Bull Set bonus adding 30% extra damage against muddied foes. Lightning is also one of the best as it slows down enemies, Wind reduces enemy attack power and Water reduces defence, whilst Fire causes recurrent damage. Feel free to use whatever you prefer or that suits your build, they are all useful.
  • Passive Weapon Skills - Sword, Relentless III (+10 Ki). Duel Swords, Tachi Arts III (+20% Damage against enemies with full HP), Defence Arts III (+20 Ki Recovery speed when guarding). Axe, Fortitude III (+200 Life). Kusarigama, Armour Piercer III (+16% Final Blow damage), Shadow Strike (+12% Damage from behind). Odachi, Passage to the Afterlife III (+12% Grapple damage). There are also some skills that increase damage with that particular weapon, feel free to unlock them as well if you use that as part of your build.

For all of the above recommended skills you will need to invest around 30 or so points in to Dexterity and Magic provided you have been using the locks of hair which grant you more skillpoints during your previous playthroughs. Samurai skillpoints are much more plentiful so do not worry about these.

Build Advice

If you already have a solid build that got you through Way of the Strong without too much hassle, then just upgrading your current equipment and leveling up as appropriate will likely be fine. I personally used a Spear/Axe build, mainly using the Spear as I find it to be the perfect balance of speed, power and range, it is versatile and can wreak havoc with the right skills and equipment, but all of the other weapons can be just as devastating.

Below is my build and stats.

Level 332

Health 6036

Ki 186

Defence 3106

Toughness 298

Body 99

Heart 20

Stamina 66

Strength 81

Skill 6

Dexterity 30

Magic 32

Spirit 40

As you can see I have very high HP and defence. The Raging Bull set adds a nice amount of % damage reduction so I was pretty tanky. I was able to withstand 4/5 hits from most enemies before being on the verge of death, 2/3 from red buffed enemies. Make sure your toughness is above 200 at all times, this way your attacks cannot get interrupted if you get hit.

Try to also put most of your prestige points in to Yokai Close Combat damage, Ki, Life and Living Weapon Durability if you can.

Weapons:

Weapon 1: Oni Sakon Spear (Max Familiriaty) - Familiarity Damage Bonus A, Weaken Armour (Torso) 22.4%, Lightning +18, Close Combat Damage +15.4%, Pierce Guard (Close Combat) 13.4%, Change to Attack (Body) A+

Weapon 2: Kaido Axe (Max Familiarity) - Familiarity Damage Bonus A, Skill Damage (Lumber Chop) +30%, Lightning +22, Close Combat Damage +20%, Pierce Guard (Close Combat) 13%, Change to Attack (Strength) A+

Recommended Skills

I strongly recommend using some of the skills I have on my weapons or the equivalent to suit your own build. For Armour this isn't quite as important, but try to get skills like Elemental Damage Reduction, +Ki, +Life, +Attack, +Defence and Evasion Ki Usage. The rest aren't essential.

As for accessories the Yasakani Magatama is by far the best, especially if you are lucky enough to get Yokai Close Combat/Living Weapon Damage on it, they also reduce set bonus requirements by 1 which means equipping just a single piece from any set will grant you the first bonus regardless, usually a small amount of damage reduction.

Guardian Spirits:

Main: Kato - The reason I chose Kato is because of the 14% close combat and 21% skill damage at level 40 which synergise with my weapon skills very well and grants me a big increase in overall damage from close up. The extra 28 Ki and 29% Ki recovery speed makes overall Ki management easier, giving you more chances to attack and evade. It is also one of the best guardians for living weapon, granting one of the highest attack enhancements and the chance to set enemies on fire. If you rely heavy on Living Weapon Paired Raiken is arguably the best guardian to use.

Secondary: Paired Raiken - I used Paired Raiken here for the +2.2% quick attack bonus, it's not huge but it was the best one for me to pair with Kato.

Strategies

I maxed out on Suppa and Catwalking Scrolls which make you invisible and silent. I used these to sneak up on enemies and kill them with Lumber Chop. This makes some of the harder missions trivial up until the boss fight, so it's a strategy you may want to employ.

Against human enemies I mainly used the spearfall skill as this often knocks them down ready for a final blow; the axe is also good for ki breaks which allows for easy grapples. For horned yokai I used the axe more often for easy breaks. Feel free to use Power Pills often as they give a nice attack boost and you can hold 6 at a time.

For bosses, make use of all of your skills, magic and ninjistu such as Sloth, Weakness, Carnage Talismans to debuff bosses and buff yourself, use spirit/soulstones to power up your living weapon before a fight. Make sure you always have a Quick Change Scroll active so you can survive any hit without dying.

One of the most overpowered builds in the game is a Ninja build. This focuses on building up damage on thrown weapons such as shurikens and kunais to nuke everything in seconds. This build is very squishy and equipment reliant however, so it is not without its flaws. There is a link to example of this build courtesy of aquCHAOS

. It was nerfed slightly in a recent update, but it is still very powerful.

It will feel like a big step up in difficulty at first, but once you start upgrading your equipment and leveling up more it becomes much more manageable and will not seem that much harder than Way of the Strong in the end. The most challenging part of the run will be the dual boss fights, Hanzo and Okatsu, as well as the solo fight against Maria which I found to be the most difficult.

You can track your progress by pressing :touchpad: and scrolling to Titles, Gameplay Record, Dragon of the North, your 'Way of the Demon mission achievement rate' must be 100 to unlock the trophy.

Edited by themindisacity
Editorial sweep

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4211/830.jpg Oshu Guide (B)

Collected all Kodama in the Tohoku region.

In the Tokoku region there are 25 new Kodama for you to collect scattered across a few of the missions.

Below is a video from Powerpyx showing the locations of each Kodama.

[ame]

[/ame]

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4211/b7c.jpg Odachi Master (B)

Acquired mystic art for the odachi.

The mystic art for the Odachi is obtained in the same way as every other weapon: by getting 500,000 proficiency with it and completing the Dojo mission.

I recommend farming Greater Demon Hunting as you should get around 70,000 Proficiency each time and it is very quick. Once you have done this you will have to complete the corresponding Dojo mission then unlock the mystic art in the skills menu to unlock the trophy.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4211/c3b.jpg The Chosen One (B)

Equipped +15 divine equipment in all slots. (Excludes accessories.)

This should unlock naturally as you play providing you upgrade all of your equipment regularly, selling whatever you don't need.

If you struggle for gold I strongly recommended completing the mission 'The Return of the Gourd' as you will be rewarded with a Rantajai Fragment, selling this nets you a whopping 10 million gold with sell price markup maxed out at the blacksmith, you can do this on both previous difficulties and sell both of them. Sell everything else you don't need especially divine items which are generally worth 13k or more each. The 'Restless Spirits' mission in the Omi Region is also a great gold farming mission that is quick if you can manage the fight effectively.

To get +15 weapons you need to keep soul matching your own weapons with other divine weapons with equal to or greater ranking, for example to get a +2 weapon you need to soul match your own +1 weapon with another +1 weapon, to get a +3 you must soul match your +2 weapon with another and so on until you reach +15 in every slot.

Thankfully on Way of the Demon very high level equipment drops frequently, on the first mission you will get drops of +7 and above right off the bat, so don't worry too much about this one, I had it before finishing every mission in the game.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4211/d87.jpg Hot Spring Enthusiast (B)

Bathed in every hot spring in the Tohoku region.

Hot springs also make a return in the Tohoku region, there are 4 in total.

Below is a video from Powerpyx showing the locations of each Hot Spring.

[ame]

[/ame]

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4211/43b.jpg Female Impersonator (B)

Completed any mission while transformed into a woman.

There are new female skins that were added as part of the DLC; they are purchased from the Hidden Teahouse using Glory. You must then complete any mission as one of these skins.

Unfortunately the costs of the new skins are very expensive, with the cheapest ones available costing 70,000 Glory and unless you have played a lot of co-op, you will not be anywhere near this amount. The fastest farming method would be to go online and become a visitor to help other players in various missions, successful runs can net you several thousand Glory with failures still getting you a few thousand in some cases, so it won't take too long to grind for this.

You can also grind out high level revenants which can yields upwards of 200 Glory per kill.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4211/58d.jpg Eluding the Dragon (B)

Completed "Hands of the Dragon."

Hands of the Dragon is a side mission that is unlocked after completing 'Spirit Stone Huntress'.

This mission is a dual boss fight against two human opponents. It's not too difficult but you need to be careful on Way of the Demon. Try to focus on one of them at a time and avoid the paralysis bombs, and don't be afraid to use Living Weapon if you are getting overwhelmed.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4211/693.jpg Conqueror of Aoba Castle (B)

Seized all of Aoba Castle's three-storied keeps in "The One-Eyed Dragon's Castle."

In 'The One-Eyed Dragon's Castle' there are four separate three-stories keeps around the level, they are not hard to find but make sure you clear them all without finishing the mission or you will have to start over.

You must enter all of these and go all the way up to the top where a blue yokai ninja will spawn. Once you kill it the keep will be 'seized', and once you have seized them all the trophy will unlock.

Below is a video from grooselog that shows the locations of each keep.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5zMB2yxvKM[/ame]

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4211/c5b.jpg Good Listener (B)

Listened to Katakura Shigenaga's entire introduction in "The One-Eyed Dragon's Castle."

This trophy is easily unlocked on 'The One-Eyed Dragon's Castle'.

Eventually you will come across an NPC called Katakura Shigenaga. This is actually a boss. Before you initiate the fight by approaching him he will be speaking; let him finish his dialogue and the trophy will unlock.

Edited by Sellers
Replaced a dead video.

Phew, that was exhausting, a few more sweeps and it's basically done.

Any recommendations, corrections or whatever are welcome, I'm sure opinions will be very much divided over ways to the DLC but this is the way I personally found easiest :)

Edited by Terminator
Removed signature.

Guide looks great! I plan to use this after I finish getting the platinum.

Just a thing I wanted to mention;

There's another build I plan on using for "Way of the Demon". It's not as powerful as the ninja build but I believe it to be a more entertaining way to go through the difficulty. I haven't tried the build myself yet but it seems promising. Here's the link to the creator of the builds page explaining the whole build in text and in a video. The video begins with demonstrating the build and then explaining it more in-depth.

Here's the video;

Credit to Fuzzy Bearbarian

The build is referred to as the SENNIN build. It is a dual sword survivabilty build for Way of the Demon. The only big thing about the build is that it requires pretty much all the exact same skills on every piece of gear in order to work its magic. Otherwise the build won't nearly work as much as it could.

Just thought I would add this in. It's another build idea for anybody who wants to try it out instead of the ninja build.

Edited by Shiinobi73

• 4 months later...
Do I have to complete all sub missions on Way of the Strong to unlock Way of the Demon or is it only the main missions?

The requirements were relaxed a bit after the final DLC, you only need to complete 'The Queen Has Eyes' mission on Way of the Strong now.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this guide.

I just wanna add 2 precisions for people who may wonder about that :

1) For the trophy "The Chosen One" (Equip +15 items in all slots except accessories) : You don't actually need to have items with EXACTLY +15, you can use items stronger than +15, it will work. I got the trophy with one of my items at +19.

2) For "Destroyer of Demons", even though the description says "Completed all Way of the Demon missions", you don't need to complete the missions of the other 2 DLC's to unlock the trophy, even if you already bought and activated the DLC's.

• 4 months later...

If 3106 is a very high defense, what I can say after with my 12902...Defense works only on main missions and dlc's, but in abyss means nothing, only with a strong offensive build have chances to reach till the end. If u reach till the last floor(999), everything on way of the demon is really easy. All the bosses are dead with 1 hit for example. Completed yedterday all missions in way of the demon(3 dlcs) with speedrun in 5 hours. My main weapon is A Mononobe Axe(+135).

If 3106 is a very high defense, what I can say after with my 12902...Defense works only on main missions and dlc's, but in abyss means nothing, only with a strong offensive build have chances to reach till the end. If u reach till the last floor(999), everything on way of the demon is really easy. All the bosses are dead with 1 hit for example. Completed yedterday all missions in way of the demon(3 dlcs) with speedrun in 5 hours. My main weapon is A Mononobe Axe(+135).

I know the drops on the deepest Abyss floors drop insane gear, but the vast majority of players won't bother with the effort of that as it isn't needed for trophies, even though it would be great being that overpowered.

• 4 months later...

Wow, 50+ hours just for this DLC alone? Or does that include the main game getting up to the DLC?

Oh wait I think I see, you have to do all the main game missions again on a harder difficulty, I can see why that would take a while. Not that I'm 100% yet on what a "mission" is exactly, as I've not started the game yet.

Edited by Earthbound_X

Wow, 50+ hours just for this DLC alone? Or does that include the main game getting up to the DLC?

Oh wait I think I see, you have to do all the main game missions again on a harder difficulty, I can see why that would take a while. Not that I'm 100% yet on what a "mission" is exactly, as I've not started the game yet.

Yeah, I guess it's a little quicker now since you don't have to complete all mission on Strong to unlock Demon, only around half.

Missions are displayed on each region map, it also includes dojo missions and twilight missions.

Edited by Sellers

Hey Sellers. Thanks a lot for this guide. I actually used your build advice for the main game and found it to be extremely useful. The trophy guide for the main game itself does not include any advice regarding builds. I found the first 10 hours on Way Of The Samurai to be very difficult. I wanted to give up and abandon the game at one point because I was struggling so much with the early bosses. When I started using Ninjutsu and Onkyo Magic abilities against bosses, and using Lumber Chop from behind against regular enemies, the game became significantly easier for me.

Edited by EbonHawk

Hey Sellers. Thanks a lot for this guide. I actually used your build advice for the main game and found it to be extremely useful. The trophy guide for the main game itself does not include any advice regarding builds. I found the first 10 hours on Way Of The Samurai to be very difficult. I wanted to give up and abandon the game at one point because I was struggling so much with the early bosses. When I started using Ninjutsu and Onkyo Magic abilities against bosses, and using Lumber Chop from behind against regular enemies, the game became significantly easier for me.

Glad you found it helpful, the stealthy lumber chop build is a great strat ;)

So is it just like the Souls games? Magic is OP?

Nope. Some omnyo at first like Sloth and Carnage were very OP and got nerfed heavily, but are still viable, magic is more of a utility used to buff your character and debuff enemies, it's still pretty central to most builds.

• 1 month later...

The trophy description say complete all missions way of the demon for Dragon of the north. For defiance honor and Bloodshed end you dont need to complete all missions in main game (i got the 2 trophies without complete the omi region, tohoku region twilight missions and dojo) but i make tonfa and odachi dojo missions and probably twilight missions too. As for dragon of the north, i complete all missions but the trophy dosent pop but im pretty i need to do the associate twilight missions. Just to verify, i will not complete at least 1 mission in omi region before i will complete this twilight mission (the murky demon realm) just to be sure.

If i dont edit this message its because you need to do all missions, including main missions.

Edited by DeGrape83

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
The trophy guide lists there as being 1 online trophy in this DLC and therefore the entire game. I skimmed through the guide and couldn't find it, anyone know which bronze trophy the OP is referring to as online only?

The teahouse is only accessible online iirc, you spend Glory there to buy the female skin.

The teahouse is only accessible online iirc, you spend Glory there to buy the female skin.

Thank-you I missed that part. I also found out that you need to complete mission 7 'Spider Nest Castle' to unlock the hidden teahouse. More research has also led to some debate about whether or not this trophy is actually online only. It would be really helpful if someone could perhaps load up the game, sign out of PSN and see if they still able to purchase anything in the teahouse.

Edited by sambowhite2