Losing interest in gaming?

Warbear

Have you guys ever felt like you're starting to lose interest in gaming? I haven't really been gaming at all recently, if at all. I have been pretty busy but I always made time for my own gaming time. However, lately I feel like I have better things to do than to waste my time playing a game.

I tried playing earlier but got bored super quick of the game that I was playing so I'm not sure if it's just a phase or if I'm growing out of it.

Have any of you ever felt the same way?

Edited by Warbear
  • Like 1

Yep, I lost interesting in DCUO. Haven't played it in months but still log in for free stuff from my league mates every now and then. Will be back to it once the 'Stats Matter' revamp hits the live servers. I need the break from it though, got more Platinum Trophies from taking the long break.

Real life is also taking a tow sometimes. Still need to find a job since I quit 2 months ago and I'm currently living on settlement money. :p

Yup. Happens from time to time for me. And when it does I just don't play anything for a while. If the urge comes back, cool. If not, then there's other things to do. Not something I would even try to force myself back into.

I just end up reading, watching anime/tv shows, going to conventions (something that actually only happend thanks to one of these "Don't even wanna waste time gaming" and completely out of my comfort-zone) or other stuff. Keeping myself occupied with some of my other hobbies. That's why having more than 1 hobby is a good thing, if you have one. Just gotta try to focus on that instead and see what happens later down the road honestly.

I mean right now I do still game, but my time is very limited cause it takes so little to make me feel burnt out. Also, as you said yourself: There's better things to do out there :p

Edited by Rawanz

Happens all the time.

Unless my friends are on, I can't play long without getting bored. I've partially grown out of it too, RPG's can barely even keep my attention nowadays either. It just doesn't get me off like it used to.

I guess maybe I am looking forward to the new CoD, as much as I don't want to admit it. Maybe just because it's a part of my childhood.

Edited by Jake_357
  • Like 1

Happens all the time.

Unless my friends are on, I can't play long without getting bored. I've partially grown out of it too, RPG's can barely even keep my attention nowadays either. It just doesn't get me off like it used to.

I guess maybe I am looking forward to the new CoD, as much as I don't want to admit it. Maybe just because it's a part of my childhood.

I agree with this post almost verbatim.

The majority of my backlog consists of role playing games and I just don't have the attention span to begin any of them. It's difficult for me to justify the playtime involved when they're all bogged down by game design that feels like doing chores. The amount of time in modern gaming that gets spent in menus, running fetch quests and looting corpses and containers vs. compelling content is terribly disproportioned.

I keep thinking it's a passing phase, but this has been going on for a couple of years now, if I'm honest. At the moment, I'm excited about WWII as well. I'm hoping a return to more classic gameplay will make me want to get into the multiplayer again, which I haven't played much of since Black Ops II. "Junk food" gaming is the sweet spot for me at the moment, something I can jump in and out of with friends for a couple of hours and then move on. Battlefront II is also at the top of my list.

Edited by WalterWhite

Yeah happens all the time. My gaming is never consistent and goes through phases. Most of the time I sit down to play something but then have no interest so I end uo doing othet stuff. Most of my time of late has been dedicated to renovating a house I just bought, fixing up the gardens or plating with out new puppy. I get far mkre enjoyment out of other things in my life.

I will always game, but it is getting less and less. I only need a couple hours a week these days.

This happens to me as well Bear. You might try just to play in spurts. I won't game when I'm burned out for several days or a couple weeks. A vacation from gaming is not bad. Too much of anything will wear you down. My number of plats is down from the last couple of years but that's ok. Just trying to have fun. When I'm sick of it, then it's movie time at the theater. It's good to get outside when the weather is nice. Go to a park and just ppl watch for cheap entertainment. Get out of town and do something new. What is interesting to me is there are ppl in the world that wish they had our problems. You can always post and give me a hard time. :) Chin up Bear.

When it comes to longer games these days, I lack the motivation to start them and I think that's because of my attention span and probably a bit to do with my trophy habits.

Some days I do feel a little less motivated than others, but I've not taken too many long breaks for a while, I think working full time, not spending too long gaming at the weekends hanging out with family and friends helps prevent me from burning out.

Edited by Sellers

Like most people, I tend to go through phases of not being interested in games. Generally speaking however, my interest in gaming has been steadily decreasing over the past few years. Just the other day I was looking though my Profile and some of the stats and wondering how I managed to play through the amounts of games I used to. I just don't think they hold my attention the way they used to. Whether that's down to the games themselves or me changing as a person, who knows?

It feels like half the time I just can't be bothered investing the time into starting up a new game. These days it's just easier to hop onto netflix and watch a movie or tv show than play through most of the mediocre crap in my backlog.

Like most people, I tend to go through phases of not being interested in games. Generally speaking however, my interest in gaming has been steadily decreasing over the past few years. Just the other day I was looking though my Profile and some of the stats and wondering how I managed to play through the amounts of games I used to. I just don't think they hold my attention the way they used to. Whether that's down to the games themselves or me changing as a person, who knows?

It feels like half the time I just can't be bothered investing the time into starting up a new game. These days it's just easier to hop onto netflix and watch a movie or tv show than play through most of the mediocre crap in my backlog.

That's exactly how I'm feeling right now.

When I log on PSN I look at the games that I have then just decide to watch something on Netflix instead. I've been trying to complete Virginia (a 2-4 hour platinum) for like two weeks now; I'll open the application then five minutes into it I'll get bored or busy that I do something else. 5 hours later I'll go back to my PS4 and forget that I had it on.

I don't think that I'd ever stop being a gamer entirely though; otherwise I would have sold my PS4 by now. I just think that I'm starting to grow out of it. But when there's a game that I really want to play I'll most likely invest some time into it as well as earn some trophies.

It's good knowing that it's pretty common to feel this way. :)

Edited by Warbear

I've been through this a couple times. The last time that I honestly didn't feel like gaming was just before Skyrim released. I didn't like Morrowind, so buying Skyrim wasn't a planned purchase. I was bored with games, and considering selling my console to get guitar lessons or something. There wasn't anything out at the time that really held my attention so I was watching a lot of movies.

When I got Skyrim and started playing it, it was a mood shift. I couldn't wait to get home and play. There was a million things I wanted to do and not enough hours in the day.

Since then I've realized that I'll always be into gaming, even if I'm not into gaming at specific moments. I really think 2016 would've been another year like that for me if I didn't have UN4 MP to play. Later this year will be like a gold mine of grade A releases. Days Gone, Red Dead Redemption 2, COD WW2, and more games we'll be surprised to hear about thanks to E3.

Edited by Aeirou

I've been through this a couple times. The last time that I honest didn't feel like gaming was just before Skyrim released. I didn't like Morrowind, so buying Skyrim wasn't a planned purchase. I was bored with games, and considering selling my console to get guitar lessons or something. There wasn't anything out at the time that really held my attention so I was watching a lot of movies.

When I got Skyrim and started playing it, it was a mood shift. I couldn't wait to get home and play. There was a million things I wanted to do and not enough hours in the day.

Since then I've realized that I'll always be into gaming, even if I'm not into gaming at specific moments. I really think 2016 would've been another year like that for me if I didn't have UN4 MP to play. Later this year will be like a gold mine of grade A releases. Days Gone, Red Dead Redemption 2, COD WW2, and more games we'll be surprised to hear about thanks to E3.

x2 for this, Skyrim has really lifted my gaming spirits up. I always find a decent Open World RPG is always a good game to get back into gaming, you always want more. Pouring 100 hours + into games like this is easy once you find yourself again. It will come back to you.

I find myself in a bit of gaming stagnation as well, friends are all on different games and I'm having difficultly finding a game that I can really dive into without getting bored within 30 minutes. Will probably hibernate for the summer so when the Autumn flood hits, I have no reservations about riding that wave.

Have you guys ever felt like you're starting to lose interest in gaming?
Rarely felt this way. The couple of times I did, I burned myself out on a game and that burned me out on gaming. Final Fantasy X for PS2 did that.

Maybe you need to be really selective about your games? I did. I focus on a good story. I've barely played anything this year. Barely any free time. Just been playing LittleBigPlanet Vita, Final Fantasy IV for DS, and now Horizon.

Maybe play some Nintendo games if you have access to a 3DS or something? Sometimes switching things up can reinvigorate your gaming. I think trophies can bring gaming down. At times, it has for me. Switching up what you play may help.

Does anyone with a big backlog experience that when you finish a game you can sit idle for ages because you don't know what you want to play?

This is even so when there are a ton of games on your shelf you really want to play.

It's really odd...

Yes...each game I finish. I never know what I should play next...sometimes I give up for a while and sometimes I feel like, I dunno, as if I can't play at all. I'm frozen until I have some desire to play some random game. :/

Maybe play some Nintendo games if you have access to a 3DS or something? Sometimes switching things up can reinvigorate your gaming. I think trophies can bring gaming down. At times, it has for me. Switching up what you play may help.

Subliminal messages :francis:

Seriously though, Nintendo can be a gaming lifesaver. Trophies are a common culprit for these burned out phases, so it helps to have new experiences on hand that don't have them (or achievements in general). I've been playing Mario Kart 7 this past week. I also played through the Phoenix Wright trilogy over the past two months (so good!). Earlier this year, I was on a major Zelda kick and finished Wind Waker and Majora's Mask 3D, which I had previously started, before playing through Ocarina of Time 3D. Sometimes you really do need to switch things up.

In general, I wouldn't stress too much about it. Whatever happens, happens. Nothing wrong with focusing on other things. And maybe interest will come back. Just go with the flow :)