Windows: End Process Tree

shrapx

I often have programs that fail to close properly or act funky. So I have to end the process tree to close these bastards.

Is there a way to add that to the right click menu on programs?

So that I don't have to open Task Manager every time?

I did two seconds of research and I see there are some nice substitutes for task manager. Those might be worth looking into. But I don't think that will do what I want to do.

Edited by shrapx

Doesn't look like it. But here's something that may help if you have a certain program that is constantly giving you grief:

https://superuser.com/questions/752846/does-windows-7-have-a-force-quit-shortcut-key-combination

EDIT: Maybe this is still a thing?

http://lifehacker.com/5094914/process-manager-prioritizes-kills-running-apps-via-right-click

Edited by Slamma

I often have programs that fail to close properly or act funky. So I have to end the process tree to close these bastards.

Is there a way to add that to the right click menu on programs?

So that I don't have to open Task Manager every time?

I did two seconds of research and I see there are some nice substitutes for task manager. Those might be worth looking into. But I don't think that will do what I want to do.

Not sure if you know this, but with one simple hold of 'Ctrl' 'Alt' & 'Delete', you can have the task manager up in seconds and leave it on your desktop or minimize it.

I can't see how this is much of an inconvenience. In fact, clicking the Start button, mousing to programs, and finding Task Manager would likely take even longer than a quick sequence of keystrokes...

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding?

Regardless, I'd recommend that you figure out the cause of this issue. Force-killing applications constantly is not normal...

Edited by Tussell

Not sure if you know this, but with one simple hold of 'Ctrl' 'Alt' & 'Delete', you can have the task manager up in seconds and leave it on your desktop or minimize it.

I can't see how this is much of an inconvenience. In fact, clicking the Start button, mousing to programs, and finding Task Manager would likely take even longer than a quick sequence of keystrokes...

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding?

Regardless, I'd recommend that you figure out the cause of this issue. Force-killing applications constantly is not normal...

I do not think it's anything I can solve. It happens about 50 percent of the time on a specific program I use at work. I have limited options on this one. And in the odd instances it happens otherwise, I wanted something easy and fast.

A right click is much faster than a navigation through control alt delete, then finding your task, etc...

I do not think it's anything I can solve. It happens about 50 percent of the time on a specific program I use at work. I have limited options on this one. And in the odd instances it happens otherwise, I wanted something easy and fast.

A right click is much faster than a navigation through control alt delete, then finding your task, etc...

I don't know... If minimizing time by the mere seconds it takes to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and find a program are that important, finding a final solution to this might be in your best interest.

What program is it?

If it's purely that singular programme giving you trouble then contact the support team. It's not healthy to be force closing process' anyway, in fact you've probably made the issue worse.

On the other hand if you have to close multiple process' often then you might want to think about a complete OS reinstall.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I'm not gonna justify this with an answer.

I've been using computers for longer than some people on these forums have been alive.

These engineering specialty programs are resource hogs. They are doing a lot. I mean A LOT. From referencing various drivers, libraries, hardware both internal AND external while running test programs... It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they don't behave right all the time.

I have other programs that behave oddly too, such as crashing if I right click something at just the right time.

But it's a work PC. What can I do about it. I can't just up and replace shit on it. I want to re-image and update it, but believe me when I say starting from scratch is going to really suck.

There are a lot of specialty tips and tricks that I am unaware of. Hence my question.

Edited by shrapx