Oddest/rarest game console you own

OSSHWA

I'm a sucker for oddities, and game consoles are no exception. I'm somewhat of a retro console collector, and last summer I stumped my friends when I made a facebook status stating that I had just bought a rare console, and asked my friends to guess what it was. After a few hours of incorrect guesses, I finally told them what it was - an R-Zone XPG (Xtreme Pocket Gear).

Having owned an R-Zone Head Gear and an R-Zone Super Screen at different points throughout my life (sadly both are in the wind somewhere now) I felt it was necessary to buy the XPG to round out my R-Zone fandom. Yes, R-Zones are awful, but they are a relic of times past. I only have two games for my R-Zone at the moment (Star Wars Rebel Heroes & Star Wars Millennium Falcon Challenge), but I browse eBay every once in a while to look for games to add to my collection. *Edit - Immediately after posting this I went and found a mint/unopened copy of Daytona USA for R-Zone for $9.99. Purchased!

And just in case you don't know what an R-Zone is: https://www.giantbomb.com/r-zone/3045-103/

Does anyone else have any odd/rare game consoles in their collection?

Edited by OSSHWA

Unfortunately, the rarest thing I own console-wise is probably a Game Gear, and that's about as far from rare as you can get. I do, however, have the TV Tuner, the screen magnifier, and the external battery for it, so that's neat I guess. The capacitors are 100% fine and everything works, which I guess is rare to come by when spotting Game Gears in the wild.

However, my claim to fame when it comes to rarities in gaming is my Flintstones: Surprise at Dino Peak NES cartridge. For anyone who is unfamiliar, it was an NES game that was exclusive to Blockbuster. I'm not entirely sure how I got my hands on it as a kid... I either rented it from Blockbuster and never returned it, got it on a sale when they were transitioning to SNES, etc. The game is currently seeing a plateau of around $900.

Unfortunately, the rarest thing I own console-wise is probably a Game Gear, and that's about as far from rare as you can get. I do, however, have the TV Tuner, the screen magnifier, and the external battery for it, so that's neat I guess. The capacitors are 100% fine and everything works, which I guess is rare to come by when spotting Game Gears in the wild.

However, my claim to fame when it comes to rarities in gaming is my Flintstones: Surprise at Dino Peak NES cartridge. For anyone who is unfamiliar, it was an NES game that was exclusive to Blockbuster. I'm not entirely sure how I got my hands on it as a kid... I either rented it from Blockbuster and never returned it, got it on a sale when they were transitioning to SNES, etc. The game is currently seeing a plateau of around $900.

That's pretty awesome. I've actually been looking to add a Game Gear to my collection. I used to LOVE playing the game Ristar on Game Gear.

• 5 months later...

Not the rarest but definitely the oddest console I own is my ColecoVision. I don't think I've ever heard it mentioned aside from when I fail at impressing gaming friends when I bring up owning one.

I have my dads old ColecoVision sitting in a box in my closet but I also have a sega Saturn and a sega gamegear

Read this right after posting. It's certainly an oddity and every ColecoVision suffers the same fate as your dads console does :p

Edited by joeyc138

A Pac-man game that is shaped like the actual Pac-man. The screen and buttons are in it's open mouth. It's so rare I can't find a picture of it. It was my moms growing up. I don't know if that counts as a console, but it is definitely my rarest gaming item.

Edited by BrokenLegacy--

I don't really own any rare consoles outside of some rare variants, such as my Pikachu collection of handheld Nintendo consoles.

I do however have an upgraded (modded) version of the main 3 cart consoles - NES, SNES, and N64. I have an AVS to play my NES games in HD, and I have RGB modded SNES and N64. Also, while a simple enough mod, my N64 and SNES are both region-free (same with my OG NES).