Is it really that bad?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...not even close. I've been having an absolute blast with this game.

Now, if I had to compare it to the original trilogy...it'd be in 4th place, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game, it's just that the lore doesn't feel as deep, and the story feels very origin focused (like they've planned more games in the future and this is just telling you a part of it). Plus I kinda miss the Paragon and Renegade, it gave you a good reason to play through twice. Plus the serious lack of mentioning much of anything from the original trilogy, gives the game a bit of a disconnect from the overall franchise, and I don't like that (by that I mean, there's been no mention of Shepard or The Reapers or there being a war and why the Andromeda Initiative exists in the first place). But those are my little nitpicks.

The biggest issue around this forum that you'll find are people experiencing game breaking bugs and glitches. I've been lucky enough that I've only had a few weird in game things happen, but nothing crippling my experience.

As for actual reviewers...pay them no mind. Their entire focus has been on facial animations and dialog...neither of which are really that bad (we've seen far worse).

Overall Andromeda is a beast of a game, and I've been loving it. I don't pre-order games very often, but I'm glad I did with this one.

Edited by TheViper4Life

No.

Andromeda is not a bad game. It is not a GOTY candidate. If you enjoyed the first three games, you'll like Andromeda. It plays and feels like a Mass Effect game.

The story isn't that exciting - at least not yet. I wish they tied Andromeda to the previous games. That would have been really cool to see and probably would have feel more at home with Mass Effect fans.

If I were you, and I was a fan of Mass Effect, I would play this game. Don't let the poor reviews influence you not to play. If you are a Mass Effect fan, chances are you will enjoy this game. Will it blow you away - no, but you will enjoy it.

To be honest no, it really isn't.

The core gameplay and feel of a Mass Effect are right there and are as solid as they have ever been, that hasn't changed.

The story isn't quite as engaging but ME3's ending still has left a sour taste in my mouth so I can forgive this game for that somewhat, if you liked the previous games you will enjoy this one, the facial animations are poor but I think it's been blown out of proportion.

I was chatting with a friend recently who really seemed to hate it and showed me some reasons why, including some really bad facial graphics and an alien that looked like a poor man's Shrek. :D

The Nomad handles better than the Batmobile though ;)

Nah. Technical issues can improve over time, and I never felt it got in the way of my enjoyment. Facial stuff wasn't that big of a deal for me. I don't really have the highest expectations for the series from a graphical standpoint. I always thought the other species looked great, and Bioware really made them come to life. In this game, I thought Asari in particular looked great. Humans never really looked that good alongside other species (since we're humans, its easier to see flaws haha). If it wasn't for the mass complaints, I wouldn't have paid much attention to facial stuff. It wasn't that far off from what I was expecting Mass Effect to look this gen. As a whole, the game looks and feels like Mass Effect (at least 2 and 3, never got far in 1, which I should go back to).

Story-wise, it's fine. I enjoyed it in the end. One plot device tread on familiar ground, and it caused an eye roll out of me haha. It's more of a game about gaining its footing, and getting comfortable, in the new setting. Because of that, it lacks a little depth, but I can forgive it since its more of an introduction.

It's not as bad as the internet has said. If you were to take the internets word for it, this would be the worst game you've ever played. I enjoyed the characters and the story. It felt like a Mass Effect game. That being said, the game has a lot of bugs, glitches, and performance issues. They're the worst things about the game and pissed me off a lot. This game also has zero respect for your time.

Edited by NathanW18

i read like 7 reviews, all of which are rather mediocre about the game, however none of the reviews mention the benefactor lore, links to reapers (yes, reapers and collectors are in the game lore and mentioned not once, but multiple times in a very interesting context), architects boss fights, almost a civil war one one of the planets, krogan crysis, etc. etc. etc. etc.

6 out of 7 reviews looked like they didn't even finish the game

very sad state of the game journalism and game reviews in general, it might even look like they did it on purpose because EA didn't pay them this time and they deliberately bashed on the face animation over and over again instead of focusing on the real essence of the game.

Anything out there handles better than the Batmobile, where have you been? :rofl:

Yeah I kept going into battle mode with that.

Simple answer. NO it is not. I've racked up 38hrs since release day & i am honestly having a blast with it. & £21??? That is outrageously cheap, great deal!!

Yeah got a second hand copy

It isn't anywhere near as bad as a lot of people let on but for some reason I'm having a hard time getting into it. Maybe where I was used to Shepard I guess but it just seems like nothing is happening really and I would have at least liked for them to acknowledge Shepard and the past games. Hopefully things pick up soon and get a little more interesting so I don't want to skip conversations so badly, I never did that before.

It is NOT a bad game, but....

I have been defending this game from day one as I don't really care those things most complained over the internet. On the contrary I want to give the devs credit for putting much more facial expression to Ryder than they did in OT.

What I want to complain is that the main plot is way too thin for the titles' potential. I am two ops away from finishing the main plot and unless there are some major twists I would hold this view. I would go even further saying that the DA:I's main plot looks better.

And the teammates are kinda plain as well compared to previous titles (Jack, Tali, Thane, Ash, etc.) but their personal missions are still good.

I also don't really like the new combat system, what's the point of a fully invested biotic build is you can only use three powers....

Overall, this is a mediocre ME game, as a fan of the ME series I am enjoying it, but that's about it.

MASS EFFECT ANDROMEDA My short review based on the PS4 version v1.04 ( latest missions i was played on v1.05 ) :

femRyder insanity difficulty, 100+ hours, 100% Evaluation on all planets, 4 completed romances ( from reserved save file )

Attraction: mediocre

Playability: good

Content: excellent

Music / Sound: mediocre

Tone : good

On the positive side :

- awesome gameplay and skill/power system

- balanced weapons and powers

- Nomad

- various and good looking planets

- jetpack

- The Remnant units and Vaults, puzzles

- Boss fights

- Loyalty missions, romance scenes and conversations

Negative:

- graphical glitches and bugs, quest breaking bugs, sound bugs and glitches, weird sounds or no sound, frame rate dips etc.

- too many boring side quests

- shallow main story compared to ME1, ME2

76/100

Edited by Count of Hell

I bought this on launch have been waiting for subsequent fixes before starting. Might wait at least another week before starting

I've just been playing multiplayer since launch myself, for the same reason, but I'm ready to get into the campaign. Why do you say another week? Is there another patch announced to be coming quickly?

---

I've said it before and I haven't stuck to it, but Andromeda is going to be the last RPG that I buy at launch. As a massive fan of the series, I just couldn't resist getting a new Mass Effect game, despite knowing what I was walking in to. It just isn't worth it anymore to go along for the ride while these developers sort their shit out. If it's a single player experience, I'm better off waiting until the game is patched up and all of the add-ons are out.