Cold Blooded Subject made easy?

Xemik

Well maybe not, but I thought I'd share my strategy that helped me get this in a few seconds (literally!) under 20 minutes.

I'm assuming you know how to play Minesweeper & understand the standard techniques for recognising single corners, etc. If you don't, I recommend you play a few games of standard PC Minesweeper first. There's probably a free browser version out there you can try.

When the puzzle starts, the blank cubes will wrap around the large cube with a slight gap between the ends. Find this gap & start in one of the corners. It won't matter which, but I chose to go left to right.

The idea is to work progressively right from here, tagging the cubes as appropriate. Make sure you also fill from top to bottom as you progress rightwards and try not to rush. Making sure you tag the cubes correctly is more important than speed; the last thing you need is to to be searching for wrongly tagged cubes.

If (when?) you hit a red, grab the eye & replace it quickly, but don't rotate the cube in case you lose your place near the red you just triggered. From this newly triggered red cube, go back a couple of columns & re-tag them, but DON'T tag any further back. You already know that these are clear, so ignore them for now.

Sometimes, you'll reach a point where it's not clear which is the mine. In this case, don't waste time figuring it out, just click one & hope for the best. In fact, hitting a red now & then can speed up identifying clear ones. I reckon I had about 10 red cubes in my successful run.

Continue in this way until you reach the gap from the other side. If you've been careful, you should have previously tagged everything correctly up to this point, but, of course, if you've hit a red, they'll all be blank now. So all you need to do is go back around clicking on the blank cubes to re-tag them.

I hope this makes sense & helps you get this frustrating trophy.

PS My son tried this strategy last night & got the trophy on his first try!

Edited by Xemik
Added PS

• 2 months later...

Or do what i did. Take 1 row at a time clicking each square randomly. Youre gonna hit alot of bombs this way but they will be highlighted after you reset the puzzle. Its tedious sure, to keep resetting the puzzle everytime you hit a bomb but i did it this way and got the trophy first try.

No need to have an understanding of minesweeper or translate the mayan symbols.

• 1 year later...
Or do what i did. Take 1 row at a time clicking each square randomly. Youre gonna hit alot of bombs this way but they will be highlighted after you reset the puzzle. Its tedious sure, to keep resetting the puzzle everytime you hit a bomb but i did it this way and got the trophy first try.

No need to have an understanding of minesweeper or translate the mayan symbols.

How does the puzzle finish as I have done that and it wont end?

How does the puzzle finish as I have done that and it wont end?

To finish the puzzle all squares must be identified and tagged correctly. Which is why in my method I suggest you push forward until you're sure you've found all the bombs, then go back to re-tag the blanks. This saves a lot of time not constantly re-tagging after a bomb hit.