Thinking about getting a Vita

Reymi004

Have had this idea for a long time, but I am taking it more seriously now.

Have seen some great games in the system. I think it is worth a buy. Just a question: are many japanese visual novels available in the US Store? I know that the Vita has many J-RPGS but what about the visual novels?

Also, what general recommendations do you give me? Accesories, etc.

Thank you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of VNs to the best of my knowledge. Code Realize and Amnesia: Memories were both recently a Plus games (though I don't care to play either myself). Though two of the most popular ones (Danganronpa and Zero Escape) are coming to PS4 this month. Also, you can only have one account on the system, so you can't have a Japanese account to download region exclusive games and play them on your NA account. Just in case there are JPN only games you're looking into.

Edited by mcolwander90

Actually had the same idea. Owned a vita a while back and lived dangan ronpa but sold my vita. Bought one off ebay last week, just waiting for it to arrive. I'd recommend not going smaller than 16GB, but that's me.

When I DID have mine, 16gb was plenty for me. It really just depends on what type of games you have downloaded and how many. If I recall I had both dangan ronpas, NFS, Uncharted, all Stars, and quite a few more on my 16gb card.

16 GB or 32 GB? How many games can you fit into each?

I just noticed these memory cards are very expensive. I will probably have to buy all the hardware in my country since the taxes for videogame consoles are too high. Hopefully the memory cards are relatively cheap in my country.

I've been doing fine with an 8 GB, but that's because I'm perfectly ok with deleting stuff when my memory gets full. I have Playstation All Stars, Street Fighter X Tekken, Tales of Hearts R, Severed, Machinarium, Plants v Zombies and FF Tactics WotL installed and maybe have about 200 MB remaining. Also have Welcome Park, which comes preinstalled. I don't think you can delete it, but it has trophies haha. You can maybe estimate from there.

EDIT: This is unrelated to your question, but you got me looking back at all the Vita games I've played haha. Found myself looking at Soul Sacrifice, and I never see anyone bring it up anymore! That game was pretty underrated. Might reinstall it one of the days, hop online and work toward finishing that platinum.

Edited by mcolwander90

In terms of VNs available in the US, the ones that spring to mind are Virtue's Last Reward (plus its prequel and sequel), Danganronpa, Steins Gate, Root Letter, Amnesia Memories, Code Realize, Xblaze, Psycho Pass and Actual Sunlight (which was Canadian, not Japanese, but my personal favourite).

If you burn through all of these you can also look into importing physical copies from Japan as Vita is region free for these.

It's time to think again as this system is dead

"Dead" if you're looking for continual online support, lot of others playing, new AAA titles, etc.

I think of it as a little like going out and buying an old Gameboy. There are tons of games (especially JRPG's) to discover on it, it's portable and perfect for public transit, and getting away from constant online connectivity and updates to play games that may be a few years old (or more) is refreshing.

I love my Vita.

Also, what general recommendations do you give me? Accesories, etc.

I have the official hardshell vault case and really like it. There's room for three game cards and an extra memory card, I think.

When it comes to memory cards, I'm still making do with an 8GB and really want to upgrade to 16 or 32 but they're pricey... that's the only major downside to this system, IMO. 8GB works fine but if you're playing a lot of digital large-file-size games (for me, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, Tales of Hearts R, DragonQuest Builders, etc) it can get like a sliding puzzle when it comes to rearranging for space. Might be fine for retro-style indies.

I love my vita so much that it's made my 3DS obsolete. I'm actually planning on selling the 3DS because I just don't need it as a handheld in my life anymore!

Although I CAN'T play anything, really, without some sort of handle/grip. I use the Nexilux handgrip, it's cheap and works really well for me. Only downside is it snaps into the charging port (I have a 1000) so I can't have it charging while playing with the grip attached. Haven't run into any major issues with that so far though so long as I keep up with charging it when not playing. And some reviews say it breaks easily, I haven't had mine break but I'm not abusive to it and I'm TOTALLY willing to buy another since it was so cheap and has worked well enough that I'm down for it again should something happen haha

Sounds like a good fit for you, Reymi. I'm guessing you had :ps+: for some time so if you added all those games just in case for a time like this, it's great.

I would recommend a screen protector for the front and back of course. I used Ghost Armor and I got a case.

Edited by GHO5T

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...