Tips and General Questions Thread

Inmatoor

* YAWP! often

* Upgrade the Stagecoach enough to start rotating in/out favoured classes and get some roster management happening. You'll want to seek out variety and depth in your roster with the ability to fill out all four slots at a time with good offensive/defensive options.

* Don't waste early cash on disposable heroes.

* Bookmark the Curio wikia SOMEWHERE.

* Kill Spiders ASAP

-This plat takes well over a hundred hours, probably at least 150+ to obtain.

-The support classes like Jester and Plague Doctor get much better as the game goes on. - - Don't go into Cove levels without a ranged character who can use Stun/Blight effects.

-If you are getting destroyed in a dungeon, just quit out of the game and you will start at the beginning of the dungeon with all of your party alive.

-Curing Quirks is way too costly over the long run - only cure very detrimental Quirks (like -15% health and such)

-Having a high torch light level (75-100%) increases your chances of going first against an enemy party.

-Blight and Bleed can stack over and over, making them over incredibly useful tools, especially against pesky armored enemies and bosses. For example, if the Plague Doctor Blights a character once, they take 5 damage a turn. If he Blights them again, they'll take 10 per turn and so on. Bleed and Blight can also stack on top of each other, so both can be used on the same character at once!

-Watch your characters' stress meters. If a character has a stress level of over 100, and they fail their 'resolution' check, they'll go crazy and be 50% less effective in battle since they'll either pass their turn or attack randomly from time to time.

-If your torch goes out you have a chance to face The Shambler in a battle (or you can activate his shrine with a torch). Either way, if you beat him he'll drop 1 of 5 Ancestral Relics which give your character huge buffs.

-Disarming traps reduces character stress, so always disarm them whenever you see them!

-If you 'rest' before a boss battle, you'll almost always get ambushed in the middle of the night. Using the Houndmaster or Crusader's "protect at nighttime" abilities will negate this.

-Watch your characters' stress meters. If a character has a stress level of over 100, and they fail their 'resolution' check, they'll go crazy and be 50% less effective in battle since they'll either pass their turn or attack randomly from time to time.

Except when they get a "Virtue" outcome instead and start getting way more crits, auto-healing or doing more damage. :)

-If you are getting destroyed in a dungeon, just quit out of the game and you will start at the beginning of the dungeon with all of your party alive.

You can also save and quit the game after successful battles / events while in the dungeon. Then, whenever you close the game without saving, you will go back to the last 'save' point. This is very useful in boss dungeons where you can save just before the boss battle if your party is in a good shape.

The same trick can be used in battle if it's going well. However, the RNG seems not to be reseeded when you reload the game so the hit chance won't change between reloads. The same goes for enemy attacks. The same series of actions will result in the same series of responses. (this is how it works on Vita)

• 1 month later...

Make sure you know the strength of your character. Know their position base on the skills that is available for them. Always bring one healer such as Vestal or Occultist. These are the best healer in my opinion. The Antiquirian heal 1hp for starters and Arbalest heal 3hp but can't heal herself. Other characters can only heal thrmselves. Before going on a mission always check the characters stress meter. If its high then send them to the tavern or abbey. If you want to save on gold while getting stress down. You can bring a Jester to dungeon and everytime its the Jester turn to attack then make him heal the party stress instead. Bringing a Houndmaster helps tremendously since he can heal party stress. So Jester should be in the back position while houndmaster will be in the second back. Really helps saving gold. Also do take note the Abomination class has problems, other class such as Vestal, Leper, Crusader refuse to be in the same party with Abomination. Remember this since you do not want your party available with a combination that doesnt work

Edited by DEATH775

There is a trophy for collecting all Ancestral Trinkets, most can be obtained from quests but 5 are obtained from killing mini boss Shambler. Leaving this for end game can be pain, he is the hardest enemy in the game if you are fighting him on Champion difficulty so it is recommended to do this ASAP on Apprentice difficulty dungeons. On apprentice he is pretty easy and can be killed very quickly. Easiest way of spawning him is using torch on Shambler's Altar Curio.

Patch 1.06 made it harder to 'save scum', game will save before every fight and when you enter a room in a dungeon, backup your save before starting next quest if you are not feeling confident enough.

At some point in the game you'll get special quest Wolves at the Door, don't ignore this event as it is needed for Caretaker goals trophy. In my opinion it is hardest quest in the game so backup your save and prepare well before attempting it.

Edited by xDriverZero

There is a trophy for collecting all Ancestral Trinkets, most can be obtained from quests but 5 are obtained from killing mini boss Shambler. Leaving this for end game can be pain, he is the hardest enemy in the game if you are fighting him on Champion difficulty so it is recommended to do this ASAP on Apprentice difficulty dungeons. On apprentice he is pretty easy and can be killed very quickly. Easiest way of spawning him is using torch on Shambler's Altar Curio.

Patch 1.06 made it harder to 'save scum', game will save before every fight and when you enter a room in a dungeon, backup your save before starting next quest if you are not feeling confident enough.

At some point in the game you'll get special quest Wolves at the Door, don't ignore this event as it is needed for Caretaker goals trophy. In my opinion it is hardest quest in the game so backup your save and prepare well before attempting it.

Thank you for reminding me on the game patch 1.06. I new i shouldn't update it. Just pause the update when only 10mb left to finish update.

All these tips are partially correct. For example having a healer in every fight isnt always good. Youll learn as you progress that having a good burst party is much more efficient, kill your enemies before they get their turn. Learn to position your heroes so they can use their back\forward skills, those skills are the strongest in most cases.

In any case, your first playthrough has unlimited amount of weeks, so just enjoy this great game, learn to play it, get all your trophies, this playthrough will consume 70% of the time to platinum. Once you have em all, the hard part will begin - Complete NG+ and finish the game in under 99 weeks. Thats where you will need all your skills and knowlege.

P.S.: Learn to play Antiquarian and correctly use Curios, this will significantly boost your progression.

Edit: Complete the game withing 99 weeks can be boosted by abusing the save file. Upload it, finish the game, get the trophy then download the save file and continue. The only trophy you will be getting on a second playthrough is Complete NG+.

Edited by Last2Night

• 2 weeks later...

I have a tip regarding the trophy "Caretaker".

The description says "Complete all Caretaker Goals", but this is not true. You only need to get all the different heroes to resolve level 6 to get the trophy. It's not necessary to kill all the bosses (these are caretaker goals too, but are not required for the trophy to pop).

The description says "Complete all Caretaker Goals", but this is not true. You only need to get all the different heroes to resolve level 6 to get the trophy. It's not necessary to kill all the bosses (these are caretaker goals too, but are not required for the trophy to pop).

Lets keep it safe in this topic so the devs wont find out about it :whistle: Otherwise a fix will hit us soon enough.

Lets keep it safe in this topic so the devs wont find out about it :whistle: Otherwise a fix will hit us soon enough.

I'm only ten or so hours in this game but I thought you need to finish off all three versions of all bosses in order to complete the game?

(Best dungeon crawler in over a decade btw :dance: )

I'm only ten or so hours in this game but I thought you need to finish off all three versions of all bosses in order to complete the game?

(Best dungeon crawler in over a decade btw :dance: )

You only need to complete the four Darkest Dungeon quests to finish the game. Yordavin is correct, only the roster goals are required for the Caretaker trophy.

You are absolutely right! Let's keep it down :D

I thought the same, friend, and it's only logical to assume that based on the trophy description, but it isn't so. The trophy popped for me after getting all heroes to resolve 6. In fact, I already got the platinum and never killed all the bosses (except for the ones found in the 4 darkest dungeons, of course).

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully someone can answer me the following things. I am really looking forward to this game however, I don't like the over-extreme difficult games, so I am still hesitating wether I should buy it. It's always helpfull if there are tricks or even "exploits" available, especially for the really hard games. If you use them or not is up to yourself however.

So I started looking if there where any and if they are not patched yet. I found these three, but do they work on PS4 and are they patched already?

- Get 3 or 4 of the same class who get free provisions and then enter a mission, go to provisions and move back out. Sell extra stuff and repeat.

- Get the free upgrade missions/quest for example for weapons. Then use it and go back to main menu and reload, repeat for how many times you want.

- Do runs with an expandable team and pick up all loot but don't finish the dungeon/mission but back out, repeat again.

Now I am not saying I don't want to play it the "fair" way but I don't like games like Dark Souls or Demon Souls who punish you beyond extreme. I like a challenge but not to much, so why not use a trick when it's there? Also it's a singleplayer game not MP, when doing MP games you do it fair, you don't hurt anyone by using tricks when you play on yourself.

Lastly does anybody know any other tricks or some good strategies or hints?

Edited by MrSoKoLoV

I see you got the game,

good choice! for your questions;

- Get 3 or 4 of the same class who get free provisions and then enter a mission, go to provisions and move back out. Sell extra stuff and repeat.

There is no classe that gets free provisions. how ever there is a town event that does that.

Also if you have 4 Bloodthirst Rings. You don't need food anymore. Camping is a free heal+stress removal, you have 1k gold or more on food costs when provisioning, and it frees up inventory space for other items.

http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Trinkets

Bloodthirst Ring;

-100% Food consumed

+10% MAX HP

-4 DODGE

That would work instead... :think:

- Get the free upgrade missions/quest for example for weapons. Then use it and go back to main menu and reload, repeat for how many times you want.

There are town event that do that, but I don't think it works what you say, as it either didn't upgrade your wapon OR it updated the event status... it's a basic development logic. but I haven't tested it so feel free to do so and let me know, if the event happens t ome I'll test it and updates this threat.

http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Town_Events

- Do runs with an expandable team and pick up all loot but don't finish the dungeon/mission but back out, repeat again.

This works, it's not a bug.. you get a penalty for surrendering;

If a mission proves too risky or difficult the party can escape with their lives, bringing with them any loot gathered so far but forfeiting any mission reward. Additionally, heroes that flee from a dungeon without completing their mission suffer stress damage that has then to be cured in the Hamlet; stress damage suffered this way will not cause the heroes to become afflicted if their stress meter happens to go above 100. Aborting a mission also increases the likelihood of acquiring negative quirks, as well as making acquiring positive quirks less likely. Diseases are assigned as normal. There is an additional penalty for aborting a mission in the Darkest Dungeon.
http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Expedition#Aborting_a_mission Edited by NemoG

Hopefully someone can answer me the following things. I am really looking forward to this game however, I don't like the over-extreme difficult games, so I am still hesitating wether I should buy it. It's always helpfull if there are tricks or even "exploits" available, especially for the really hard games. If you use them or not is up to yourself however.

So I started looking if there where any and if they are not patched yet. I found these three, but do they work on PS4 and are they patched already?

Now I am not saying I don't want to play it the "fair" way but I don't like games like Dark Souls or Demon Souls who punish you beyond extreme. I like a challenge but not to much, so why not use a trick when it's there? Also it's a singleplayer game not MP, when doing MP games you do it fair, you don't hurt anyone by using tricks when you play on yourself.

Lastly does anybody know any other tricks or some good strategies or hints?

Save scumming your way through the game with this method would surely take months. And insane amounts of patience. You already need to clear 150+ dungeons without these strats regardless.

A 16 person roster can be leveled from noob to Champion in approximately 20 weeks. That's oodles of time to get done what you need to in NG+.

The gold and heirloom grind takes far longer than that so you need to plan accordingly, I'd say around 40 - 50 weeks for them alone.

50+ HP crits happen so get used to it.

I see you got the game,

There are town event that do that, but I don't think it works what you say, as it either didn't upgrade your wapon OR it updated the event status... it's a basic development logic. but I haven't tested it so feel free to do so and let me know, if the event happens t ome I'll test it and updates this threat.

Town Events - Official Darkest Dungeon Wiki

Tested it,

it does NOT work indeed, when you quit the game and come back you do get a new free armour/weapon but your previous bought armour or weapon is not yeat updated. so you'll have to buy the same one again for free so you didn't gain anything from it.

• 6 months later...
One quick question, i'm really not that far in the game, but i'm not sure how Curios works. Should i open all of the curios i cross, is there a stats for who open curios that are more likely to have good behavior with the curios or is it totally random?

Thanks!

I'd refer to this: https://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Curio

In my opinion, though, you should ignore most curios unless you have the proper cleansing item. Even then, you might be better off holding onto that item (especially if it's a shovel or key). I played through about 70-80% of the game in the Ruins and I'd mostly only interact with Altars of Light, Holy Fountains, and Suits of Armor (plus the common ones, like sacks and torches), because the negative effects just aren't worth the risk. But if you're near the end of the dungeon and you still have some Holy Waters or Medicinal Herbs on you, by all means, loot away.

• 3 months later...

- Utilise save scumming to get some of the more annoying trophies (killed by a maggot, kill a boss with one dude etc etc).

- If you're only farming heirlooms, I'd consider doing short dungeons. The long dungeons have better trinkets, but they take a while. You can wrap up a short dungeon in about 15-20 mins and due to the limited space in your inventory, you end up having to ditch most of the treasure you come across because your inventory is already full (especially at the beginning of the dungeon).

- On Stygian, stick to the Cove and Ruins. Cove was my favourite due to the stress-heal exploit on the Pelagic Guardian. On the Cove, a party of Plague Doctor, Jester, Occultist and Hellion is nigh on invincible.

- Buy the DLC version alongside the regular game if you can. I bought the DLC after I'd already completed the main game and there's some annoying mechanics that make it very dull to play post-game.

- You can sell most of your common and rare trinkets once you begin picking up very rare, ancestral and trophy trinkets. There's always a temptation to hang on to them, but you'll end up using the same dozen or so trinkets after you've picked them up, so opt for the cash.

- Avoid the Weald on Stygian - especially Champion dungeons. There are party set-ups you can use, but overall the enemies here are far stronger and more annoying than in other dungeons imo.

- Save scumming makes this game about a 5/10 difficulty platinum. If you don't save scum, it's easily a 9/10. I save scummed, but usually only at end-game on Stygian mode because a party wipe would have meant starting Stygian again from the very beginning due to the limitation on hero deaths. Obviously, that taints my platinum a little, but I didn't have the heart or patience to start over - I was literally in darkest dungeons when I hit the limit.

• 4 weeks later...

The Flagellant and the Shieldbreaker (both DLC characters) will trivialize many of the bosses in the main game due to their solid damage dealing and healing/evasion abilities. I recommend picking up the DLCs if you’re struggling during the Darkest Dungeon quests at the end. Both characters can stack lots of damaging status effects as well (bleed / blight).