Working on This

funkmachine08

Since this game is brand new, I wanted to make a quick thread for anyone else playing it and wanting to converse about certain sections or trophies. I'm currently on (what I believe to be) the second level. It's a beautiful experience so far. Not on the same grabbing level as Journey/Abzu/Flower, but still obviously meaningful to the team. I like it!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's definitely a beautiful experience. I really like the way it's told. I'm having trouble, though, finding all of the memory shards in the levels. I'm sure I just missed some, which I can find, but in the Tree area, there is a large shard on a pillar looking object, to the right of the area you can walk on one of two beams to get across the area, or jump across the pillars to get the other big shards. You'll know if when you see it. The pillar on the far right is just out of reach of a jump on both sides of the walk. Let me know if you get it and how, please!

Yeah it's definitely a beautiful experience. I really like the way it's told. I'm having trouble, though, finding all of the memory shards in the levels. I'm sure I just missed some, which I can find, but in the Tree area, there is a large shard on a pillar looking object, to the right of the area you can walk on one of two beams to get across the area, or jump across the pillars to get the other big shards. You'll know if when you see it. The pillar on the far right is just out of reach of a jump on both sides of the walk. Let me know if you get it and how, please!

So there's a part, pretty early on in the game, where you're likely to just slide along a ledge. On the ledge, if you're paying attention, you see a shadow version of your character doing a large leap across the gap instead. You can do that jump by rolling (O) and jumping (X).

On the level with rain there is a door you can push and get inside a room, almost at the start. You have to push the wall at the center. It looks like it is part of the wall, but it is not. Discovered that. Also, near the end of that level where you have to jump on some red squares, once you climb the ladder, you can jump to one of the ledges and backtrack. There will be some shards.

Edited by Reymi004

These speed run trophies are going to be insane. With 1 fall and otherwise hitting every short cut I know of in chess, I only managed 7:06. I can't even fathom how I'm supposed to shave another 1:07 off. The cutscenes being counted against your time is downright poor design for speedruns.

The level speedruns are probably the most strict speedruns. You get about 15 minutes of extra leeway for the non-100% speedrun and another 15 minutes extra leeway for 100% run. And the 100% run pretty much won't really use shortcuts, so it will at least be simpler in that regard.

By the way, I'm working on 100% Shard videos right now. I have Steam done so far.

Edited by Seibei4211

Well that's a plus. I'm currently number 11 in the world on chess and still need that 1:07 to cut hahaha that suuuucks. Someone has under 4 minutes, though, so there's got to be some crazy short cut.

Have you tried following the ghost time? It sucks that it only follows the fastest time, because that's pretty much going to be impossible or it's glitched or something. I liked how you could pick which ghost to follow in Mirror's Edge.

I have not. I actually didn't think about it. Well it seems that it's something to do with falling somewhere, as the next few people all have 6-9 falls and in the high 5 minutes, where as the one just under 4 has 0 falls.

To get the fastest times for the trophy it more than likely requires you to do the sequence breaks in order to get it as the people who have under the required time got the trophy for a sequence break at the same time. I'm still trying to figure out how to do sequence breaks myself though...

So I did the sequence break for Chess. It's fucking hard, I'll tell you that. I spent 8 minutes just to succeed, so I haven't beaten the time yet. It's right at the beginning. You jump out of the window right behind the throne at the beginning and land on a tiny sliver of a ledge, then you have to roll jump to the ledge sticking out on the left. That's a hard jump. That's why people have so many falls, but a really good time. When you make it, then you just jump down and head to the cutscene with the "savior" and it only takes a couple minutes to beat the level from there. I hope you don't have to do too many sequence breaks during the 50 minute run, because if they're all that hard, that's no good. You can at least start the 50 minute run with this break though.

Edit: Did it within 10 falls. 6:03. Uuuugh. Basically, if you die more than, say, 6 times, just restart.

Edited by Seibei4211

So I did the sequence break for Chess. It's fucking hard, I'll tell you that. I spent 8 minutes just to succeed, so I haven't beaten the time yet. It's right at the beginning. You jump out of the window right behind the throne at the beginning and land on a tiny sliver of a ledge, then you have to roll jump to the ledge sticking out on the left. That's a hard jump. That's why people have so many falls, but a really good time. When you make it, then you just jump down and head to the cutscene with the "savior" and it only takes a couple minutes to beat the level from there. I hope you don't have to do too many sequence breaks during the 50 minute run, because if they're all that hard, that's no good. You can at least start the 50 minute run with this break though.

Edit: Did it within 10 falls. 6:03. Uuuugh. Basically, if you die more than, say, 6 times, just restart.

Thank u for posting about that sequence break for this level.

Wow, I wanna fucking shoot myself. I made the jump after only like 3 tries, but then on the next easy jump, I rolled (like I usually do) and just rolled off the edge and ended back up at the tower. I was at 1:18.

Edit: Ok, finally. Did it with just one fall. 4:41-ish. It occurred to me though, that while you shouldn't need to sequence break most of the 100% run, you can still sequence break the Chess level. So I can look forward to doing this at least two more times for those two runs, and it'll be even worse then since you have to suffer through the opening beach crap every time you have to restart. Waiting those 40 seconds is bad enough.

Edited by Seibei4211

Wow, I wanna fucking shoot myself. I made the jump after only like 3 tries, but then on the next easy jump, I rolled (like I usually do) and just rolled off the edge and ended back up at the tower. I was at 1:18.

Edit: Ok, finally. Did it with just one fall. 4:41-ish. It occurred to me though, that while you shouldn't need to sequence break most of the 100% run, you can still sequence break the Chess level. So I can look forward to doing this at least two more times for those two runs, and it'll be even worse then since you have to suffer through the opening beach crap every time you have to restart. Waiting those 40 seconds is bad enough.

About the full game speedrun, I was wondering whether it actually has to be done in speedrun mode? Because I know when I looked at the times after my first normal playthrough, my chapter times were recorded. It would come in handy if we don't need to do it in speedrun mode, with the save option and all.

But before worrying about that, I need to find and be able to do the sequence breaks for the other chapters.. Let me know if you find another one.

Wow, that's a great point. I guess I just assumed it had to be in speedrun mode. It's not like it says it has to be done in one sitting or anything. It might be worth asking them on Twitter for clarification, although I wouldn't expect a straight answer out of them.

I think someone must've found the one for Shout, but I can't follow their ghost. Like it just disappears a few seconds after the level starts. I'm trying Steam, but it's so linear and flat that it seems hard to sequence break.

Edited by Seibei4211

It ain't a sequence break (I think), but it is a good shortcut. On Pearls, on the spiral path near the beginning, before you reach the doorway at the top, jump onto the pearl on the side. From there, you can jump onto a much bigger nearby pearl (you might need to roll jump), and from there you can jump onto the thin corner of a building wall, and from there you can jump onto a blue balance beam that goes quite a ways up. I don't think anyone on the leaderboards has used that one since I have the best time by a long shot. Now I just need another good shortcut after that one to actually beat the time.

Edit: Found another shortcut, but it still only brought me to 5:08. Right after you jump off the blue balance beam, there's a slanted building or something right behind some grass. You walk up the right-hand side of the wall and there's a platform with a red ledge. Then you jump down to a memory shard sphere and past that is the top of a tower. To the right is a pearl you can jump to. From there, if you angle it right, you can roll jump onto the ledge where you push the wall down. I also found the isle spot. I didn't actually enter the door, but I obviously saw the doorway. After you push down that wall and get to the part with the pearls and blue balance beams, if you walk along the beams, you can see it down and to the left.

Edited by Seibei4211

Wow, that's a great point. I guess I just assumed it had to be in speedrun mode. It's not like it says it has to be done in one sitting or anything. It might be worth asking them on Twitter for clarification, although I wouldn't expect a straight answer out of them.

Hello, Nox from Plastic here. :) I can clarify that your times from "story mode" playthroughs (not in the Speedrun Menu) are being placed in the leaderboards as long as they are not interrupted by loading the game. So if you choose Continue from the Main Menu and that will place you in the middle of the second level, your time for that level and the overall time won't be send, but you can still send times for further levels in the same playthrough. Save/load option (unlocked after finishing the game... but there is also a quicker way) is there mostly for you to train.

I'll try to follow this thread, but you can also contact me through my Twitter account if you have any questions:

Of course I don't want to spoil you some discoveries, so I may not answer some of them. :)

So we can do the trophies in story mode, but it still has to be in one sitting? The only benefit in doing that then is to pick the order in which you do the levels.

Edit: This just occurred to me. When it says "notebook pages will not be randomized," I assumed that meant the levels weren't randomized. Does that just mean the actual order of the levels within the book is fixed and you can still pick whichever level you want? If that's the case, then there isn't a point in doing it in normal mode at all.

Edited by Seibei4211

4:31 on Shout. This is starting to really, really, really upset me when I get less than 5 seconds from the trophy. I got fucked on it, because it was the first-person part that didn't cooperate. I had like 99% of the parents filled in, but it wasn't enough for the game to be satisfied enough to actually open the door for me, so I had to double back and that's what screwed me.

4:31 on Shout. This is starting to really, really, really upset me when I get less than 5 seconds from the trophy. I got fucked on it, because it was the first-person part that didn't cooperate. I had like 99% of the parents filled in, but it wasn't enough for the game to be satisfied enough to actually open the door for me, so I had to double back and that's what screwed me.

I got screwed with that also.. But i did it again and just ran alongside the car. Once i got to the front of the car i turned around and went back and the door opened which allowed me to beat the time. By the time i was on the red ribbon sliding i was at 3:11 in time

I got screwed with that also.. But i did it again and just ran alongside the car. Once i got to the front of the car i turned around and went back and the door opened which allowed me to beat the time. By the time i was on the red ribbon sliding i was at 3:11 in time

Yeah, I did it again and this time I walked clockwise around the garage. I thought maybe I needed to physically get closer to the dad and that seemed to work. In any case, I got 4:28 which is good enough for me. I had a couple of minor fuck-ups, but still got it. I feel slightly bad because I beat someone's time by 0.008 seconds.

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by Seibei4211