mort_hbeb9786

I have come a cross few different peoples discoveries

And I have only been naming planets and systems :p heres few of mine:

Not jurassic park

Ummm nothing to see here

Been here and done that

Noneone was here

Aciddd trip

Potato (with two moons: Yum yum, Blah blah)

Edited by Figma

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I named a planet, 'don't come here' - it sucked.... no resources, extreme weather, it was just painful..... hope someone finds it and doesn't go to it based on my advice.

Funnily enough in that same system there is a planet discovered by someone. They must have been bored with that system to not bother hanging around to check out the other ones.

yes but i would think since they were on the same named and discovered by streamer 2 planet that they would be on the same server.

plus there are no character models for what players look like so you wouldn't see another player anyway.

This is an interesting point, but to solve that all they would need to do is have player A shoot a rock and player B would see the destruction in real time...

but being it is not MP at all this would also not really happen...but good point what do i look like?

Just read this thread and I was thinking to myself how adult some of the players are. Penis references? Excrements? Really? Considering that the average gamer is 30+...

I tend not to bother, but when I do I usually spell 'normal' words & brands backwards.

When I found a cold, toxic planet I did name it Parc'si Imanok. <- Read this way.

:tumbleweed:

I tend not to bother, but when I do I usually spell 'normal' words & brands backwards.

When I found a cold, toxic planet I did name it Parc'si Imanok. <- Read this way.

:tumbleweed:

I gave up trying to bypass the profanity filter, so I may try your method next.

I actually haven't named a galaxy/planet/outpost/etc. in a while. I've just been uploading the default name they already have.

Earlier on though, I was naming galaxies after continents and the planets were named after countries within those continents, and the outposts I found on those planets were named after cities within those countries, and so on.

There was one galaxy though, with 6 planets that I named 007. All the planets were named after the actors who played James Bond, and the outposts I found on said planets were named after the movies they were in.

I gave up trying to bypass the profanity filter, so I may try your method next.

I actually haven't named a galaxy/planet/outpost/etc. in a while. I've just been uploading the default name they already have.

I think I've only named 8 or nine planets & one animal and that animal was because it was an unnamed one on a planet someone else had discovered.

This was actually quite odd. The planet had been named & uploaded but the system it was in had not. So I discovered the system, but not the planet?.

As for backwards naming, it's actually surprising what interesting names turn up. Ynos, Nonac, Xoferif Allizom, Yks S'nam-on, etc. :D

Earlier on though, I was naming galaxies after continents and the planets were named after countries within those continents, and the outposts I found on those planets were named after cities within those countries, and so on.

There was one galaxy though, with 6 planets that I named 007. All the planets were named after the actors who played James Bond, and the outposts I found on said planets were named after the movies they were in.

You guys have awesome ideas! I think part of this game really is to be creative. Guess I'm too much of a Nerd at times and lack a certain imagination...

You guys have awesome ideas! I think part of this game really is to be creative. Guess I'm too much of a Nerd at times and lack a certain imagination...

:thumbsup:

Although, I probably ought not to admit that Parc'si has been one of my favourites. :whistle:

Mind you, you might be surprised at what interesting names you can come up with by looking around your living room & spelling whatever you see backwards.

This is the naming thread? :D I don't bother but once in a while I do like when I find a system with great trade opportunities I name it like Grantine Paradise. But too bad I have no real idea how to get back there!

I did name a planet Earth 1 cuz it felt and looked alot like an Earth that we'd be familiar to.

But too bad since everything is procedurally generated no one will see exactly what I saw.

I did name a planet Earth 1 cuz it felt and looked alot like an Earth that we'd be familiar to.

But too bad since everything is procedurally generated no one will see exactly what I saw.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'm getting a bit brassed off following the anomalies. I came across a system that someone else had discovered. Had a poke around & discovered a few things they hadn't, then carried on with the story. But it seems I'm following exactly the same path they have, because the last 3 systems have all been discovered by them. Great.

I'm thinking of making a wild jump away from the story path, & returning to it, but is the story arc fixed now & ultimately I'll still end up following in his shadow till the end of this story?

Another thing that annoys me is the ship trading. How dumb is it that you get nothing back on your old ship? I was going to repair a crashed ship but they are always linked to your current ship size. I couldn't see the point of wasting hours repairing it to gain 2 slots.

SO I spent 2m on a much bigger ship & was astonished to see I have to pay 2.5m+ to buy one only 2 slots bigger. Suddenly, repairing a crashed ship doesn't seem such a bind.

They really have made some very strange design choices.

Edited by Xemik

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'm getting a bit brassed off following the anomalies. I came across a system that someone else had discovered. Had a poke around & discovered a few things they hadn't, then carried on with the story. But it seems I'm following exactly the same path they have, because the last 3 systems have all been discovered by them. Great.

Finding a discovered planet ain't the same as seeing the same planetscape cuz the game would procedurally generate a new landscape for them. Might be the same set of parameters but the landscape would be completely different.

Finding a discovered planet ain't the same as seeing the same planetscape cuz the game would procedurally generate a new landscape for them. Might be the same set of parameters but the landscape would be completely different.

The planets are all the same for everyone it is just the formula that created them used procedural generation to make them in the first place.

I am now in the same boat as Xemik, always running into planets found and discovered by another person and it ticks me off, 18 bazillion planets and we all found the same ones.

Edited by mort_hbeb9786

nope it was more obscure but referenced a penis lol
Was it Chungus? In a system also called Chungus? If so, you found where Jim Sterling's been :p

Exactly my point. It's not fully multiplayer. You are uploading to a database.

It's not multiplayer at all. Sean Murray lied on several occasions. He's the new Peter Molyneux, and not in a good way.

I am now in the same boat as Xemik, always running into planets found and discovered by another person and it ticks me off, 18 bazillion planets and we all found the same ones.

I'm starting to wonder how these planets are saved on the a servers. almost all systems I go to now have planets & flora/fauna discovered by someone else, but in some cases the System itself hasn't been discovered yet.

I realise that it's possible that you might upload a planet & not upload the system, but why would you do that? The two uploads are right next to each other. And it's not like it's a one off, but I've seen this 3 or 4 times now.

Is it possible that generated planets are 'shared' between distant systems? No, surely not. That would be silly, wouldn't it?