How does this compare to other Lego games?

This one is personally my favorite out of all the ones that I've played (which include all but Harry Potter Years 5-7, Marvel Avengers, and The Hobbit, and Dimensions if you want to even include that for comparison sake). I adored the previous Star Wars ones, alongside Indiana Jones 1 & 2 and then Marvel Super Heroes, while the Batman games, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter Years 1-4 are on the lower end because they quickly became stale. TFA reinvigorates the same old Lego game formula from past games with updated gameplay, new mechanics, and it feels like there was more love and fun out into this iteration. If you've played and enjoyed previous Lego games, and you enjoy Star Wars to any degree, you'll regret not buying this at some point.

This is my 15th Lego game and I'm not enjoying it as much as the others. There are some HUD change to update the look. Everyone has their opinion and this is mine

The red brick purchase/equip screen is badly designed. Yes, its good you don't have to travel to a designated shop to buy them but the icons are too small and can be tricky to find which one you last unlocked.

I now have plenty of studs and purchased a lot of characters. Yet when you Free Play levels I am finding I have to go to the overall character select screen as the characters automatically chosen don't have the skill sets to allow you go access the collectibles.

Speaking of characters, I personally feel this game pads the roster with unknown characters more than any other games in the franchise.

There are only 10 levels based on the film with filler levels to pad out the game. I've yet to play through the hub levels properly.

Edited by The Rook

My biggest gripe with the game is actually because of a couple collectibles.

There's a few that you have to use BB-8 to play a side-scrolling video game and avoid obstacles to "win" said item. Those are a bit of a pain in the ass and rather annoying.

Other than that, it's one of my favorite LEGO games of all time.

As above this one is awesome, I'm not finished yet but think it is brilliant so far.

Wow. That says a lot.

My biggest gripe with the game is actually because of a couple collectibles.

There's a few that you have to use BB-8 to play a side-scrolling video game and avoid obstacles to "win" said item. Those are a bit of a pain in the ass and rather annoying.

Other than that, it's one of my favorite LEGO games of all time.

Impressive to see best of all time.

There are mixed opinions in other posts but sounds good.

Any others?

Wow. That says a lot.

Impressive, most impressive.... to see best of all time.

There are mixed opinions in other posts but sounds good.

Any others?

Fixed that one for you Free. ;)

Now that I have finished the main story I can say I think it's the best I have played yet. I'm just cleaning up the hubs at the moment and have to say, they are big!

• 2 weeks later...

im still on the fense with how i feel about this. There are some great laugh out loud moments - all-be-it geeky lol's - but the gameplay isn't grabbing me.

There have been a few parts where i don't have a clue what to do next to progress, some of the actions aren't clear and the flight controls / axis i just find awkward alongside aiming.... It may just be me being retarded, but i cant seem to get the hang of the games inverted on / off axis changes, maybe it is me and i'm doing it wrong but i have to change the axis each time i get to a flyng sequence...

i'm not overly keen on the inbetween level segements, either. Why can't the game progress from one mission to the next without a pre-level hub type domain, with their own puzzles - again maybe i'm missing something?

I'm in level V1 at the mo, and i wondered when SW had become Uncharted, i must have missed the memo :D

Maybe it will improve in free play, but i have felt the 'don't want to continue this' vibe a few times.

Now, the actuall missioning in the missions, smashing everything in sight is cool, but sometimes the game progression turns into a bit of a sideline that detracts from the game's story...

i really want to like this game, because i loved SW 111 The Clone Wars, and so far that game seems a lot better than this one. Though it is making me want to watch the film again :D

EDIT: just finished the game and i wasn't as impressed as i'd hoped i would be with the game - sure it is full of stuff to do, but most of that stuff seemed pointless and a bit of a waste of time - i would have rather seen some heavier / tougher battle sequences or harder in mission challenges* than the games dicking around hubs completing random five minute and less challenges.

* For instance, the game could be aporached from both the imperial and resistance aspects in battles, with minikits / gold bricks etc being earned for completing further opposing side dynamics - that would have been a lot more fun than hubs :D

Edited by yoda_squad

• 1 year later...

Ok, so I know this thread is a year and a half old but I just started playing this game last week and I'm annoyed enough to comment. I have 35 LEGO Platinums and this is absolutely the worst LEGO game when it comes to controls and glitches.

The game freezes my system on 10 to 15% of the missions requiring me to get up and press the button on the PS3 manually since the system stops responding to the controller.

On several occasions in free play I've had the character I was controlling just start walking in a random direction. When it hits something and can't go farther it does not stop the walking animation, it just keeps walking in place. It won't let me change to another character but the system still responds to the :start: and :ps: buttons then the system starts to respond to the rest of the buttons while in the menus.

The vehicles are almost impossible for me to control. The flight controls seem to change from inverted to not inverted randomly and some moron on the development team decided to make the left stick the control stick and not give players the option to change it to the right stick. For those of you that know nothing of flying and have not played flight sims, this probably won't effect you. I myself started my modern gaming playing flight sims with a left hand throttle and a right hand stick like in a modern fighter jet, I am used to it and can not function with a left hand stick.

As far as subject matter, Star Wars, it is real fun but this game is the worst unplayable mess of all 36 LEGO games I've played. I thought Dimensions was bad but this game is downright broken.

I own but have not yet played the following LEGO games, I have Platinumed and 100%ed all other LEGO games. If any of the following 8 are worse, which I doubt, I don't yet know it.

LEGO: City Undercover (PS4)

LEGO: Harry Potter Years 1-4 (PS4)

LEGO: Harry Potter Years 5-7 (PS4)

LEGO: Ninjago Movie: The Video Game (PS4)

LEGO: Marvel Avengers (PS4)

LEGO: Marvel Super Heroes 2 (PS4)

LEGO: Star Wars The Force Awakens (PS4)

LEGO: Worlds (PS4)

GuapoPogi