Story Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

I definitely doubt it. I think they set it up nicely for a Sam and Sully DLC. This is the last Uncharted thing ND will ever do. To have Cassie as the lead would, I think, take away from the ending. What I'd like it to be is Sam and Sully in a bind. Duh. They're trying to make their way to Drake's in time for the birth of Cassie. Things don't go well. The end would be really heartwarming. Nothing says full circle more than the birth of a child.

My money is on The Adventures of Sam and Sully.

There's something in the epilogue you can interact with, that says about her going to India or something. So you never know. Maybe it'll focus on the Malaysia wreck, who knows :p

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's something in the epilogue you can interact with, that says about her going to India or something. So you never know. Maybe it'll focus on the Malaysia wreck, who knows :p

The diving could have been a cool mechanic if there was more of it, that underwater area looked very good. I don't know if I could handle the disappointment of copper wire again though. :p

I'd be alright if it focused on Sam and Sully, possibly with whatever they were talking about at the end of the game when they said goodbye to Nathan and Elena.

I love the Uncharted games, and Uncharted 4 game play is nearly flawless...but I found the story pretty underwhelming. The backstory with Sam was so by the book and predictable. And I really enjoyed the characters and the conversations/back and forths in previous games but they lacked wit (was there different writers for this game?) and the "drama" felt like some boring day time soap opera. Everyone just felt so one dimensional and stale.

Again, the game play was top notch. The story? I'll forget it shortly.

And really...they're going to make me play Crash Bandicoot again at the end of the game and walk around as Cassie in an interaction snooze fest? Fucking awful.

Edited by BeardedBushMan

I didn't cry. My eyes were just taking a tactical wee :p

LOL, I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever gotten teared up from a video game. Movies, sure; but never a video game. This was so well done.

Who else was a little peeved off that the trailers killed the suspense of Sam getting 'killed' in the prison escape at the beginning of the game? Of course he's still alive if the trailers show Nate and Sam together as older men. That "death" scene did nothing for me when I was playing it. :(

My heart sank when Elena pretended to be dead. I couldn't take a real death of one of them. :p

Maybe a little, but I think playing the escape and then finding out it was a lie was genius. Yeah, it's been done in movies, but we actually played the break out.

When Elena pretended to be dead made me drop my controller in shock. That was brilliantly done.

All up I enjoyed the story of the game, I don't think it will be the last game with the daughter coming into it unless one of the DLC packs is a story involving the daughter to see how it sells before they decide to make a new game or not.

I thought there was a little to much climbing in this one and the whole stealth mode started to get to me it made it easier to advance in some areas.

I will add that doing the second playthrough on crushing is a hard task for me as I am bored with it, for me as much as how good the game was it is a one play only.

Edited by fisty123

I am very shocked at this being the last Uncharted, i just didnt Sony would want the console selling game series to stop and the game that rules the adventure genre. Heck Tomb raider will have no competition now.

Naughty Dog themselves don't want to beat it into the ground, they'd rather move onto something new. I believe Sony owns the IP so they could do more games if they really wanted to, and I'm sure they'll try.

Maybe a little, but I think playing the escape and then finding out it was a lie was genius. Yeah, it's been done in movies, but we actually played the break out.

That's what got me suspicious, though. There was put so much effort into showing us the escape from Sam's point of view, then not ever any depiction of an actual threat to him in the real story, so it felt "too" convincing. Later, stuff didn't add up and he acted way too enthusiasticly, so it was obvious he was lying. (Also, the story still needed a plot twist and it's too thin to alter anything else of importance.)

Perfect game in every way apart from all those crates we had to find push and climb up this game will make history and probably bring even more to Ps4 this is goty for me for sure and my favourite of the series loved the story and I also thought someone would die I don't know who would be worse to die sully or drake as I love sully too naughty dog top form thank you for having Scotland in the game and for delivering masterpiece upon masterpiece unlike most other rip off game companies

Great way to end the series, I almost choked up a bit when the ND logo came out with Nathan talking to Cassie.

I think the game really stepped it up in terms of story and I am glad it did so, as for the single player DLC I am putting my money on the job Sam and Sully went on at the end.

Best uncharted yet on everything. I was always into pirates and UC4 made a dream coming true. Not only I really enjoyed all these pirate hunting, ND made the gameplay even more better. Yes, shooting was good. It was really good this time. Climbing too. They wanted to make everything better in this game. Every chapter was there for some reason and not to just give you action and amazing set pieces. Sam was a very good addition in the game truth to be told. I wanted to see Chloe one last time thought. And the epilogue? Oh, you ND team.. That was touching for someone who played all the past games... Thank you!!!!

Completed it today and I gotta say it was excellent. It might be my favorite in the series, perhaps toppling Uncharted 2. I want to appreciate the game from a story and character perspective and this game really shined, more than Uncharted 3 and 2 in that regard I felt. Rafe was a compelling character and I actually thought he could have been in it a little more to be fleshed out, but at the same time, you understand his character pretty easily as being jealous of Nathan and not wanting everything handed to him as he said. I suppose if they had a chance, they could have explored the early encounters between Rafe and the Drakes before the prison infiltration but I understand that it was not really necessary. The point is, you understand his motivations and character tendencies, the way he thinks, etc., while not beating you over the head with it.

Nadine did not stand out too much other than being just an ok female character. Her relationship with Rafe, particularly their disagreements toward the end were pretty standard fare. They already did the "very skilled and annoying side-antagonist" in Uncharted 3 with Talbot, though to her credit, Nadine has a more intimidating presence.

Everything else worked well for the most part.

Finished the story today. I loved the game a lot ! :applause:

The only thing that I liked the less was the final boss battle, the less interesting in the whole franchise to be honest. It wasn't epic but more slightly annoying to me to be honest. :o

Wow, I felt the exact opposite. I thought it was the best. From a purely spectacle/dramatic standpoint it was excellent. Maybe not as spectacular as hand-to-knife fight on top of a stone platform in a gigantic sinkhole, but still really visceral and grandiose, the kind of over-the-top final fight area you would expect. Then from a presentation and gameplay perspective I thought the swordfight was awesome. Again, probably such a damned cliche but it was fun and it felt very rewarding to learn the mechanics and win. But, where they are fighting and how is not nearly as important as the emotion and the impact of the fight. And I thought it was interesting that Rafe cared more about wanting to fight for the treasure and get out of Nate's shadow and "earn" something than escape. For him it was less about the monetary value, and more about making a name for himself, and that's what the fight was all about. So there's a deeper meaning to thing and not just guys swinging swords at each other.

Just went back and listened to that teaser. That was definitely Sam, with a different voice actor. Listening closely, he was left rotting in prison for 15 years and Nate has been hiding details about him for that long. He was talking about his lies catching up to him and that Nate would owe him. Definitely sounds like Sam was originally going to be the bad guy.

I think I don't like the idea of Sam being the bad guy, so I am glad they wrote it as the current way it is.

I was thinking about that initial teaser (before the staffing changes) a lot while playing. Based on that, and that line from the original voice actor, as well as Sam's appearance, I first thought he was going to be a villain before the game released. I would say I thought this up to the first gameplay trailer (which introduced the rope and showed Nate swinging around the cliff area and eventually finding Sam). After that, when the game got closer to release and showed more footage, I changed my mind and was not so sure they were gonna do him as a villain anymore. He certainly didn't have the "look" of a hero, but this actually works to his backstory and is a good foil to Nathan, who does have the more heroic side to go along with his better looks.

I think it was the best uncharted game ever & i was surprised it had a happy ending. with the team of the last of us being involved i was certain that were going with a dark story that wouldn't fit the uncharted universe, fortunately i was wrong.

The Guybrush threepwood Easter egg was the best part of the game in my opinion.

Great game but Uncharted 2 was a better overall experience for me. As people have said, Uncharted 4 was a more mature work. The story was great, the graphics are amazing. The game is stunning to play.

But...the gameplay itself begins to get tedious after the Clock Tower scene. Climb here, swing there...oh, that's too high, go get a box...there we go, now repeat. I found myself wanting to watch cutscenes more than actually playing the game. The environments are sooo big in many of UC4's levels and yet, the enemies are so sparse. That could work well for a few levels here and there where exposition takes center stage, but how about booby traps like Uncharted 1? Or how about tossing in a few animals in there (a pack of hungry jungle cats). It was just always the same recycled scenarios. Get lost, look around for a grapple point, move a box, slide down mudslides, now jump! It got old very quickly.

Obviously, lots of people have opinions to share about this new game. Here is a quote from a Kotaku article that kind of nails it for me: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/05/the-time-uncharted-4-trolled-me-and-the-time-it-didnt/

"Uncharted 4 is at its absolute best when it’s unpredictable. The only problem: it’s actually extremely difficult for a game like Uncharted 4 — a linear rollercoaster built upon incredible set-pieces — to surprise players. Most of us have played the past three games. Most of us are painfully aware of the tropes. We know when we’re going to climb, when we’re going to solve puzzles and we know when we’re about to start shooting some people in the face."

I think Uncharted 4 desperately tried to find a new way to surprise us after giving us a trilogy of amazing games. The team probably felt that the only way to do that was to try and focus as much attention to the storyline as possible, make the fiction more relatable as it were. Make it more real.

And while they did give us some cool (although recycled) set-pieces, I found myself missing the fantastical aspect or it, maybe even a little bit of the supernatural. But that's just my opinion.

Special shout out to that Nadine fight scene in the clock tower. That was probably the best scene in the game. Or at very least, the one I remember the most. The scene where you rejoin Sam by grappling and smashing through the auction lobby's window was a very close second. Great boss battle at the end, but I could see why some people would dislike it, especially if you're not very quick at dodging left and right.

Still the best game this year though. And it was a fitting end to the series. Just wish there were more action set pieces...I mean, I still feel like I used 25% of the guns available to me. Maybe I'll get my fix in multiplayer sessions...

Edited by The Mouse

Love the game. Not sure whether it beats 2 yet...have to let it sink in.

Now for the actual story discussion part. I've been reading through the notes scattered around and such (admittedly speedread through them) and the historical events that took place still aren't entirely clear to me. So from what I gathered it was the founders who left clues here and there so that other pirates could find Libertalia and the founders took their treasure from them. At some point those colonists started an uprise and attacked the founders. So far I get it.

The part I don't really get is what happened between the founders themselves? It's clear that Avery wanted to steal from the other founders by just going away with all treasure, but wouldn't all of the founders be after him in unity then instead of focussing on and trying to kill one another? And did these events happen at the same time the colonists were attacking the homes of the founders or were the founders able to withstand that attack? I fail to see the connection between these events.

It seemed to me that Avery wanted to create this utopia and "settle down" with other pirates. Everyone would pool their fortunes together, set up rules and live happily ever after. But the colony rebelled against it once they realized they weren't free at all, and that their fortunes or whatever they had were being taken by the two founders, Tew and Avery.

The other pirates grew more and more uneasy with this "utopia" and planned a coup to topple the founders, probably realizing that they were also being cut out of the grand plan. In desperate retaliation, Tew sends them all a letter stating that they should work together towards a peaceful resolution and that they should meet for dinner and discuss a way to get Libertalia back on track.

Then like idiots, the pirates drink the poisoned wine. Who knows, maybe Tew was acting alone here, inviting them all with the promise that they would all take out Avery, but in reality had made a promise to Avery that he would lure their enemies to his manor and poison them.

On another note, how ridiculous is it that a bunch of pirates could live and share everything together. Isn't sharing against the pirate's code or something?

Edited by The Mouse

It seemed to me that Avery wanted to create this utopia and "settle down" with other pirates. Everyone would pool their fortunes together, set up rules and live happily ever after. But the colony rebelled against it once they realized they weren't free at all, and that their fortunes or whatever they had were being taken by the two founders, Tew and Avery.

The other pirates grew more and more uneasy with this "utopia" and planned a coup to topple the founders, probably realizing that they were also being cut out of the grand plan. In desperate retaliation, Tew sends them all a letter stating that they should work together towards a peaceful resolution and that they should meet for dinner and discuss a way to get Libertalia back on track.

Then like idiots, the pirates drink the poisoned wine. Who knows what kind of peaceful resolution Tew and Avery devised...maybe I missed a journal entry or something, but we all know the rest of the story...Tew and Avery turned on each other and no one got anything.

On another note, how ridiculous is it that a bunch of pirates could live and share everything together. Isn't sharing against the pirate's code or something?

Well the notes heavily suggest that the founders turned on each other making attempts on their lives. Thomas Tew tried to get the founders together to settle the arguement between them and to unite against Avery, who is the piratiest pirate of them all. ;)

I would just like to know how the founders turned against each other in the first place and how this relates to the rebellion of the colonists.

So how Tew and Avery turned on each other in Avery's pirate ship?

Greed.

If you think of the last "boss" fight, Avery is Rafe and Tew is Nathan. That whole scene (and the rest of the pirate story) is an allegory to the present time. That's kind of how I saw it.

Edited by The Mouse

The part I don't really get is what happened between the founders themselves? It's clear that Avery wanted to steal from the other founders by just going away with all treasure, but wouldn't all of the founders be after him in unity then instead of focussing on and trying to kill one another? And did these events happen at the same time the colonists were attacking the homes of the founders or were the founders able to withstand that attack? I fail to see the connection between these events.

The pirate captains (Founders) dealt with the rebelling colonists, then turned on each other, then Avery and Tew invited them to dinner where they poisoned them all before finally turning on each other.

It's all one big tale of people turning on each other due to their greed for more.

Which is why Elena said something along the lines of 'maybe this was the plan all along.' As in maybe it was Avery's/the Founders' plan all along to lure others to Libertalia in order to steal their treasure.

Edited by AshtimusPrime

The pirate captains (Founders) dealt with the rebelling colonists, then turned on each other, then Avery and Tew invited them to dinner where they poisoned them all before finally turning on each other.

It's all one big tale of people turning on each other due to their greed for more.

Yea I guess that makes sense. Was hoping for something a little deeper than just greed, but we're dealing with pirates after all. Funny how in real life a lot of historians don't even categorize Avery as a pirate at all and in this game he is like the most evil and craziest of the bunch.

Uncharted 4 was definitely a great game, but it wasn't exactly the ending I was hoping for. For story purposes it was good, not great, but I understand why the story played out the way that it did. The biggest disappointment for me was the gameplay in general. There wasn't near enough gunplay for me.

Cons

Lack of gunplay: The gunplay in this game is phenomenal, but there just wasn't enough of it. Majority of the time in the game is spent walking and talking or climbing around. Remember in U2 when Lazaravic says to Nathan "How many of my men have you killed today?". I always loved that part because I thought to myself "I love shooting dudes in the face, and I'd gladly kill more of them". There needed to be more gunplay. Period.

Lack of set-pieces: Uncharted 2 had the train, the siege chapter jumping from car to car, fighting a heli and having the building collapse while you were in it, and the bridge crumpling at the end of Shamballa. Then Uncharted 3 had the whole plane sequence, and the sinking boat, as well as the burning chateau. What did Uncharted 4 have? All it had was Nate getting dragged along by the car in Madagascar (which was fun, but had been spoiled in the E3 demo). I don't know why they scaled this game back so much. :(

The dark tone: I understand why they placed an emphasis on the story so much but the whole game was just depressing to me. I'm used to Nate constantly coming up with funny quips and one-liners and in UC4 here barely tells a single joke. It was to serious for me.

Sam: So Sam Drake is a dick. Plain and Simple. He can see how much pain his brother is in when Elena catches them in Madagascar and Sam can tell that Nathan is blowing up his life to save him (Sam). But Sam doesn't need saving at all! What kind of a brother does that? Then he decides to go after Avery's treasure in the pirate ship at the end. At the point I was like "fuck you dude! go die I don't care" lol. I wish there would have been an option to just leave with Sully and Elena and say screw Sam. I don't dislike or hate Sam, he's just simply a dick and my least favorite of all the "hero" characters.

Hector Alcazar: Man, I thought this was such a fresh an awesome idea. This would of been the first game to have two different antagonistic forces in the story. (Not multiple characters because, yeah we've had that. I mean opposing sides if you will, but sides that are all "bad guys"). How cool would it have been if Nadine was shot and killed on Avery's ship and you turn around to see it was Alcazar who had come to retrieve his share of the fortune. Plus that would have made Sam less of a dick character. ND took the easy way out here with the whole "Sam double cross" stuff. Wasted potential if you ask me. Alcazar was so cold and I was honestly scared of him.

Multiplayer: It's just to bare boned at launch. I know more is coming, but compared to U2 and U3's multiplayer at launch there's not a whole lot to do in U4 mp.

Pro's

emphasis on character(s): I don't know if we "needed" an Uncharted 4, and while I do have my gripes, in the end I'm glad the game exists. I'm thrilled that we got to see our favorite characters one last time no matter how sad it is to say goodbye. At least we get to. How many franchise out there are way past their prime and have started to suck? or have totally lost what made them great to begin with? At least with Uncharted 4 we got a happy ending that left our beloved characters in a great place.

Gunplay: It was awesome, when it was there. I played on hard my first time through and the enemy AI was so aggressive. I loved it. I constantly had to stay on the move and pay attention to my surroundings. Gone are the days of Uncharted where you could just camp in one spot and pick off enemies one by one. I was thrilled with how the gunplay turned out and hope other games can look at Naughty Dog as an example here.

Graphics, Animation, Art Design: Everything in this game is beautiful. I could gush on for days about how great it looks, but we all know how gorgeous it is. Best looking game for this generation. Period. Maybe even of all time!!

Overall, it doesn't top Uncharted 2 for me, but it was still a fun game to play and I'm glad it exists. It's still very sad though, especially the epilogue. It's all bittersweet. Saying goodbye to this franchise and these characters is a very tough pill to swallow. But as I said before, at least Uncharted is going out on top!

Goodbye, Nathan Drake. :( Thanks for all the great memories you've given me over the years! And thanks to Naughty Dog for all their amazing work. :applause:

Which is why Elena said something along the lines of 'maybe this was the plan all along.' As in maybe it was Avery's/the Founders' plan all along to lure others to Libertalia in order to steal their treasure.

My theory as well. Since greed is a major theme in the game, it would make sense that Avery himself (being the king of all pirates I guess) would try to steal the fortunes of his 'competitors'. Hence why he lured them into Utopia.

Edited by DerbyStar