Would you reconsider your investment?

Dreakon13

Would your investments sway elsewhere?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would your investments sway elsewhere?

• Yes, probably.
    • No, probably not.
    • I'd "invest" the same amount regardless.

Take your four favorite games/franchises/developers, whether it's Playstation exclusive or multiplatform. Now pretend that those games/franchises/developers became exclusive to another platform (Nintendo, Xbox, PC, etc). Would it make you reconsider the time and money you've invested/will invest on the Playstation? Not necessarily that you would get rid of everything Playstation and go completely "rah rah" over a different platform... but would you probably find yourself "investing" more in another platform, and less in the Playstation, in this scenario?

I guess another way to look at it would be, which is more important to you? The games, or the hardware/community/service? Would you place less emphasis on the Playstation, if your favorite games jumped ship were only playable somewhere else?

-------------

The reason I ask is because I've been primarily a PC gamer over the last 3-4 years. However, I've been seeing an awful lot of Uncharted 4 commercials lately... and it's giving me an itch to start back up on the Playstation again. There are virtually no games on the PC that I'm legitimately looking forward to (that aren't available elsewhere or come with massive strings attached)... truthfully there never really were, I went that route because I found the hardware interesting and the generally much improved graphics and performance for multiplatform titles appealing... but between Naughty Dog and Quantic Dream's impending PS4 offerings alone (considering Uncharted, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls are some of my favorite games/franchises of all time despite having 20+ years of gaming under my belt), and my general inclination to wanting all of the trophies in them (as poorly as I accomplish that most of the time)... I feel like I'm spinning my wheels gaming anywhere else. What's the point of investing any more money in my PC backlog and routinely buying upgraded PC hardware... if my top games are exclusive to (and most multiplatform games are readily available on) somewhere else? You know?

Anyways, a little background on why I'm asking, the topic isn't really about me... but do you think your four favorite games/developers going exclusive on a competing platform would sway your gaming investments going forward?

Edited by Dreakon13

Yes, I think it would. If AC and CoD were Xbox exclusive, I'd pick up an Xbox just to play them. Thankfully, they are not. I also like how the PS4 controller feels in comparison to the Xbox, so hardware would have an influence as well.

I wish PC got everything cause I am trying to transfer to the PC Master Race. :cool:

I'm very comfortable with Playstation right now. I don't envision that changing anytime soon. If Naughty Dog up and leaves for Microsoft and Nintendo, then I'd most likely grab that console when their new game comes out. I don't even know what my top four developers are, but if they all became exclusive, that may very well be enough for me to jump ship full time.

• 1 month later...
I guess another way to look at it would be, which is more important to you? The games, or the hardware/community/service? Would you place less emphasis on the Playstation, if your favorite games jumped ship were only playable somewhere else?

Absolutely. I don't even like the PS4. I hate the controller, I hate the UI, I hate Sony's continued download speed throttling, I hate how often PSN is down for maintenance, I hate how they can't even do something as simple as HDCP correctly, I hate the discover messages every time I turn the system on, I hate the abundance of advertisements on the home screen; this thing really sucks. If I could put Ratchet and Clank, Killzone, Uncharted, and other PlayStation exclusives in my PC and they'd work, I wouldn't have a PS4.

I'd do the same with Xbox and Nintendo as well. Especially Nintendo. Nothing I said above about the PS4 even comes close to how much I hate the Gamepad.

I also like how the PS4 controller feels in comparison to the Xbox, so hardware would have an influence as well.

I wish PC got everything cause I am trying to transfer to the PC Master Race. :cool:

I like the feel of the PS4 controller better too. With my small hands it just feels more comfortable to me. One of these days I'll get around to building a new PC.

Absolutely. I don't even like the PS4. I hate the controller, I hate the UI, I hate Sony's continued download speed throttling, I hate how often PSN is down for maintenance, I hate how they can't even do something as simple as HDCP correctly, I hate the discover messages every time I turn the system on, I hate the abundance of advertisements on the home screen; this thing really sucks.

Nothing I said above about the PS4 even comes close to how much I hate the Gamepad.

Man, you would make a great Sith Lord.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Nah. I don't like Microsoft's conduct as a company so I wouldn't switch. I don't really have any exclusives that I consider must haves. Besides, I still have 160+ games in backlog so there is plenty to keep me occupied...

Edited by Furious Gargoyle

I will buy the better console in terms of hardware. Just so happens the games I enjoy are usually not exclusives to one console. (excluding TLOU and Bloodborne). Just so happens all my consoles have been Playstations.

I will likely get a xbox scorpio when the time comes for a new console if the PS does not add a 4k drive to it however.

Yes, I would. It's all about games.

I got the original Xbox just because two Oddworld games were exclusive to it at the time.

I almost bought an X360 for Episodes From Liberty City, but glad I didn't as it turned out to be a timed exclusive.

I would instantly buy an Xbone if Half-Life 3 was exclusive to it.

I can sit here and bang on about trophies, community and the like, but it's all about the games and always has been.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Short answer would be no. I have 5 Playstations (a PS4 Pro, 2 PS3s and 2 Vitas), 10500+ trophies and about 500 games. So you could say I'm somewhat invested. I might consider upgrading my PC or getting a new one, because I can also use it for work. But I don't see myself buying an Xbox or Switch, unless I can get one really cheap and the games in question are really good. But even then Playstations would remain my main systems.

Since my gamerscore and friendlist is linked to Xbox, i will always consider xbox as my main platform...

That being said, as soon as i see a definitive release date for Shenmue 3, that playstation 4 is mine !!! lol Unless i get it before. Cause yes i do want one.

But just as my PS3, it will be mostly for exclusives. Cause games look the same on either system... so since im already an xbox gamer...

Only exeptions i could make are maybe fighting games... as the communities are bigger on PS...

Ill admit i got more games for PS3 that i originally intended, i supose there just easier to find... as more peoples play on Sony's consols...

For exemple Rage, AVP, Alice Madness Return, found those in physical version for fairly cheap so i bough them. Those are multi platform and i would rather have them on my xbox tag but for the price... and i always wanted to play them. Having both consols have its advantage.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Doesn't matter who has what. I've supported Nintendo forever because I started with them and love their franchises and characters. I also love Playstation and what they offer. I may support one more than the other, depending which gen, but I buy consoles/games for whichever offers what I want to play. If XB1 gets games I want, I'll buy one. I'm just waiting for Mario Odyssey and I'll get a Switch.

I have no exclusive loyalty. I just want great games and have bought consoles for many years just to get those games. I wish I had more games for each of my consoles. No matter what, I keep each console and just enjoy it being in my collection.

I feel like this is more a question of how loyal are you to your favourite franchises more than to Sony. I would have to say I probably wouldn't switch but I'm not too loyal to any particular franchise, that's not to say I don't have any favourites I love dragon age but if the next was wasn't Xbox exclusive I'd let it go. Mainly for the devs being dicks and going exclusive part way through a story. Franchises fizzle out and new ones born each year you'll always find something you like.

All current gaming has its merits and negatives but it keeps things fresh if there was only one things would get bad quick and that's not good for gamers.