Galactic War Strategy Discussion Thread

arcana75

Hi all, I started this thread cuz I too think that the Emergency Broadcast thread should be reserved for announcing ongoing events. Let's not clutter that thread with our discussions on the Galactic War. :D

If the mods can help by moving discussion posts from that thread to here, that'll be best, otherwise let's just continue here?

That`s not what i said, it`s a quote.

From what i understand, the defent events won`t trigger if we have an assault at all 3 homeworlds at the same time. But they might patched it by now. :(

That beeing said, i hope that the assaults get easier each time we fail. The next assault will be on the cyborgs. Hope we will have a "favourable scaling" this time.

Maybe people will start to complain more and more and the developers might do something against it.

People also need to get good at this game and play high level missions and succeed.

To be fair, you were quoting cusman from the official Helldivers forums. He's now saying at least we gained ground against the cyborgs. Duh, the bulk moved away from the homeworld invasions to go take cyborgs based on The Strategy, of course you're gonna gain ground :rolleyes:

Anyway I'm now worried that this "favourable scaling" doesn't even exist, since if the "assault means no defend" thing could be wrong/patched, maybe cusman is wrong about the scaling. Afterall he said it was a stealth patch... what proof?

This thing about high level missions. There is no diff doing 4 level 3 missions in 5mins each, and doing 1 level 12 mission in 20 mins, with the latter having a chance to fail horribly. From an influence farming perspective I rather do many level 3 missions in quick succession, and most Plus players are more inclined to join easy games than helldives, so with the (another) assumption that the influence is multiplied across the # of players, more 4 player games pumping out quick level 3 missions the better for the war effort. IMHO.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I started this thread cuz I too think that the Emergency Broadcast thread should be reserved for announcing ongoing events. Let's not clutter that thread with our discussions on the Galactic War. :D

If the mods can help by moving discussion posts from that thread to here, that'll be best, otherwise let's just continue here?

To be fair, you were quoting cusman from the official Helldivers forums. He's now saying at least we gained ground against the cyborgs. Duh, the bulk moved away from the homeworld invasions to go take cyborgs based on The Strategy, of course you're gonna gain ground :rolleyes:

Anyway I'm now worried that this "favourable scaling" doesn't even exist, since if the "assault means no defend" thing could be wrong/patched, maybe cusman is wrong about the scaling. Afterall he said it was a stealth patch... what proof?

This thing about high level missions. There is no diff doing 4 level 3 missions in 5mins each, and doing 1 level 12 mission in 20 mins, with the latter having a chance to fail horribly. From an influence farming perspective I rather do many level 3 missions in quick succession, and most Plus players are more inclined to join easy games than helldives, so with the (another) assumption that the influence is multiplied across the # of players, more 4 player games pumping out quick level 3 missions the better for the war effort. IMHO.

Yeah i know what you mean.

I wish the developers would say or do something about this.

Right now, we are focusing on the Cyborg Planet. Hope we can be on the lead this time...

I think the veteran players want to fininish the cyborg planet first, because it`s the hardest of all of them.

The problem is (in the eyes of every group except trophy hunters) that, once you successfully conquer an homeworld, let`s say the Bugs, than this particular homeworld won`t be available till the other two homeworlds are conquered as well.

This means, that 1/3 of the content is locked up for an unknown period of time. In the eyes of the developers or people who just play for fun and ONLY for fun (basically every group except the dedicated trophy hunters) would be kinda "annoyed" by this situation.

So trying to beat the hardest race (cyborgs) first would be smart, because the other ones would fall shortly after. It`s no guarantee but the chances are much higher compared to "conquering the easy races first".

Me personally, i don`t care about locked content, i just want to get this done as fast as possible and unlock the Platinum Trophy.

This is the situation right now:

Cyborgs => 1 more Region/sector to conquer before the assault/war against them. Player Numbers: 3100 players

Bug Homeworld => 2 more Regions/Sectors to conquer before the assault/war against them. Player Numbers: 5100 players (everybody loves the bugs > maybe the game should change his name to Bugdivers instead).

Illuminates => ...nobody cares... around 1500 players....

I hope that we don`t have an assault on two fronts. It`s hard to decide which assault/war will happen first.

But you can expect the assault on Sunday.

And one more thing people: Let Arrowhead hear your voice, if more people complain, than the chances are better that Arrowhead scales down the "needed influence" points to win the assault. (or in other words: they could make it easier for us to win). The number of players have an influence on the difficulty/scale. But the problem is that we have a lot of noobs, who are failing missions (which probably add to the points of the aliens) and who are playing difficulty levels which are not on their skill level.

That`s why arrowhead needs to do something.

Look here, there is a discussion going on. Apparantly Arrowhead heard the frustration of the people.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/47hjsm/arrowhead_needs_to_rebalance_the_war_again/

The more people voice their opinion the faster we get to see some action from the developers (that`s what i hope at least).

Edited by Emperor Golbez

The fact that wars keep repeating, more people need to recognise this and worry less about locked content. Ending wars unlock costumes and winning them unlocks trophies so is more of a win than keeping content alive to what keep the casuals and trophy hunters around?

Can't have it both ways. Either play the game with trophy hunters and casuals aka bugs bugs bugs and stop complaining about casuals messing up the influence, or get rid of them by getting bugs done.

I personally find cyborgs easier than bugs but I only did 9 and lower planets. I find the illuminate to be easier than bugs too. But the lure of playing out Starship Trooper fantasies is a strong one.

The game is unplayable today. People can`t even connect with each other.

I hope that once the casual players move the next line up of ps plus games, things will get easier for us.

Looks like the assault will be on Monday (or Sunday night)..... there will be a PSN maintenance at the beginning of march.

Hmm.......

Edited by Emperor Golbez

Popped in for a quickie a few minutes ago, the influence bar is now just that little bit longer than the timer bar, around 40% filled, ~29hrs left. Right now the population is 5k with 3k on Kepler.

And TBH I don't think influence is multiplied across # of players in a dive. I really do think it's just per dive.

Edited by arcana75

Popped in for a quickie a few minutes ago, the influence bar is now just that little bit longer than the timer bar, around 40% filled, ~29hrs left. Right now the population is 5k with 3k on Kepler.

And TBH I don't think influence is multiplied across # of players in a dive. I really do think it's just per dive.

I believe the influence is per person as you can see in the galactic map your rep for each of three factions - I checked mine and it went up 6 after successfully 3 staring a level 6 planet with 4 people playing so its going to have gone up 6 for each of the other three as well so a total of 24 influence for the 4 players. Therefore playing level 3 and 6 planets with 4 people is the best use of time and effort in a time vs reward way.

Either that or jumping in at the very end of a dive and pick up the points for basically doing nothing, some people find that annoying but to me its sensible, it doesn't effect your game and it adds to the Rep gained.

I believe the influence is per person as you can see in the galactic map your rep for each of three factions - I checked mine and it went up 6 after successfully 3 staring a level 6 planet with 4 people playing so its going to have gone up 6 for each of the other three as well so a total of 24 influence for the 4 players. Therefore playing level 3 and 6 planets with 4 people is the best use of time and effort in a time vs reward way.

Either that or jumping in at the very end of a dive and pick up the points for basically doing nothing, some people find that annoying but to me its sensible, it doesn't effect your game and it adds to the Rep gained.

To me, having your display show influence gain still does not prove that 24 going onto server.

Instead ask yourself these 2 questions: 1) what number floats to the bar after the stars tally and just before the game says transmitting to server, is it +6 or +24? And 2) on PS3 it is possible for 4 player local coop but the 3 other players are named id x2, id x3 and id x4. When the score tabulates how much influence would be sent to server when in reality the 3 are dead the entire time until shuttle boarding, +6 or +24?

Has Arrowhead ever come out to state the answer? I find it odd that after 1 year there is still no definitive answer and that usually means one thing, Arrowhead knows the community won't like the answer cuz it will not incentivise co-op, and possibly even discourage co-op during events.

So how you guys doing? Are you getting this? I have faith in you, get me that Trophy! :)

Let me quote from Reddit:

The amount of influence required scales with the player count, per race, per sector. That's why the illuminates are always the least popular but we still have a chance to beat them; sometimes they're the first to get wiped out. What determines whether we lost is the average rate of influence versus the amount of time given to win—2 hours/2 days. So if the average player base is sticking to low-level dives or are are doing poorly in high-level dives, both of which result in little influence, then we won't out-pace the timer.

In that regard, the war is going as it should because it's the natural outcome when we have a surge of new players. There were times when we almost lost super earth.

So I don't think the war needs intervention just because it's dragging. Let this social experiment run its course. Win or lose, it all resets in the end. Every time we win the results show the average difficulty is less than 5. We've won a lot of wars, so it's clearly already skewed in our favor. I'd imagine if the algorithm required an average 6 difficulty, our win/lose record would be more evenly split.

Edited by Last2Night

So how you guys doing? Are you getting this? I have faith in you, get me that Trophy! :)

Well we crushed the Bugs, so u have that trophy :)

Now, there is an ongoing (ending soon) defense of a capital planet in the Cyborg sector. Likely to lose it... but...

From a Galactic Campaign Strategic perspective, we should now focus all our energies towards the defense, and regardless of its success, continue the push to crush the Cyborgs.

Well the defense failed, and there's a new capital defense of Bahia Democracia (2hrs 13min). Considering that we're now 3 sectors away from the Cyborg homeworld, but literally at the Illuminate homeworld's doorstep, what we ought to do now is to defend Bahia Democracia successfully to stem the bleed, then take the fight to the Illuminates to remove them from the war.

At the moment the majority is fighting the cyborgs. No idea why but maybe the defense had some inertia. As long as the illuminate holds, we should just go with the flow, than to make the same mistake and split the forces.

Have we halted the Cyborg advance yet?

Yep!

Very nice day: got trophies for assault and defence. If we win the war, I should get "Peace and prosperity reigns again". Am I correct?

Yeah!

Edited by arcana75