Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders ~ Trophy Guide and Roadmap

Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders Trophy Guide & Roadmap

Overview:

• Estimated trophy difficulty: 2/10 with guide, 3/10 without (personal estimate) (Estimated Difficulty)
  • Offline trophies: 15 (13(B), 1(S), 1(G))
  • Online trophies: 0
  • Approximate amount of time to 100%: 6-8 hours (personal estimate) (Estimated Time)
  • Minimum number of playthroughs: 1, with creative saving. Otherwise, 2.
  • Number of missable trophies: 6 (Eagle's Eye(B), Cesium-133(B), Large Donkey(B), Newspaper(B), Gandhi Moustache(G), Sheriff Moustache(S)).
  • Glitched trophies: 0, but Eagle's Eye(B) is described incorrectly.
  • Does difficulty affect trophies?: N/A
  • Do trophies stack?: N/A
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies?: N/A

Introduction

4/26/16: Candelabra Moustache(B) glitched by patch 1.02. Patch 1.03 has resolved this issue. Make sure you are playing the game either entirely unpatched (only possible with disc copies) or on patch 1.03. Do not leave it on patch 1.02!

Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders is a point-and-click adventure game based off of one of Agatha Christie's most famous books. The game follows Hercule Poirot, a Belgian detective, and his partner Arthur Hastings as they investigate a string of seemingly random murders across England, all tied together by the presence of the ABC train timetable left at the scene of the crime.

When porting the game to PS4 from Steam, the developers (or likely just Sony) for some reason removed 40 (!!) of the game's achievements, knocking this down from an assumed (P) to a 100% list. Since this is a retail game, if you're only in it for the trophies, wait for a massive price drop. If you're in it for the story, it's good, but still a little on the pricey side.

The ABC Murders does not have a chapter select, and also has several game-spanning trophies. I have written a trophy walkthrough to ensure you get 100% on your first playthrough; find it HERE.

Walkthrough

Step 1: Complete Story Mode while solving all Observation puzzles and making mistakes whenever possible.

There are two major game-spanning trophies you'll want to read up on before you start the game: Eagle's Eye(B) and Large Donkey(B). Eagle's Eye (B) involves solving all the Observation-style puzzles in the game – found on all the characters in the game as well as in scenery/objects, while Large Donkey (B) requires you to make 8 notable mistakes before the end of the game. Please see the (mostly spoiler-free) individual trophy descriptions for more information.

Unfortunately, while The ABC Murders has three profile save slots, it is entirely reliant on autosaving only. If you want to unlock all of the trophies in a single playthrough, you will need to make two temporary backups via a USB drive or the PS Cloud (:ps+: subscription required) and unlock the single-action trophy (either Gandhi Moustache(G) or Sheriff Moustache(S)) before reloading the save and continuing, as the opposite actions will count towards the game-spanning Large Donkey(B).

To make sure you get everything in a single playthrough, I have written a trophy walkthrough HERE.

Step 2: Replay the game, using a different save file (optional)

The ABC Murders does not have chapter select. Instead, loading a cleared save file starts the game over. Any collectibles (such as they are) you have unlocked should remain logged in your profile save, but multiple reports are indicating this is no longer the case. If you're going for a game-spanning trophy, it's best to start on a clean save and try again.

Edited by themindisacity
Editorial Sweep

Trophy Guide:

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/627.jpg Cupid bow moustache (B)

Finish Andover

Story related and cannot be missed. Will unlock after you reconstruct the Andover crime scene.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/b37.jpg Imperial moustache (B)

Unmask the murderer

Story related and cannot be missed. Will unlock when Poirot proves the murderer's identity.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/462.jpg Eagle's eye (B)

Poirot excels in observing human nature! You are receiving this trophy for having penetrated half the people's thoughts with a simple look.

[MISSABLE]

This trophy description is incorrect...twice. The description actually comes from the removed achievement “Falcon Eye.” In actuality, you must look at ALL of the people in the game when given the option. Furthermore, you also have to complete all the “Observation” puzzles in the game – these are triggered by looking at scenery, items in the room, etc.

These puzzles are prefaced by “Observation” written on the screen, and involve hovering the cursor over 3-5 hotspots until text appears describing what Poirot has noticed. The controller will vibrate when you are close to a hotspot; keep the cursor on the spot until it registers.

There are two easy-to-miss points where you can lock yourself out of this trophy:

1) If you skip packing Poirot's suitcase, you will miss an observation puzzle.

2) If you observe Thora before Franklin the first time you are given the opportunity, you will not be able to observe Franklin.

I have listed all the Observation locations in my walkthrough.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/e47.jpg Cortex (B)

As Poirot says, everybody has brains, but they differ in quality! Yours are exceptional. You've solved half of the questions.

During the course of the investigations, you will be taken to a sort of deduction board called Little Grey Cells, where you must link together evidence and witness statements to form conclusions about the murderer. You must do all of these to finish the story. This will unlock around 3/4 of the way through the game.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/f8d.jpg Gothic confessional (B)

It's nice to confide in Uncle Poirot … And that is why you conducted all of the interrogations to perfection!

Despite what the trophy description says, you can't actually mess up the interrogations. You will naturally unlock this after your final interrogation near the end of the game.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/100.jpg Cesium-133 crystal (B)

You believe that symmetry is the source of all beauty and that order generates virtue. What a pleasure it is to sort through things and tidy up! You are loyal to Poirot's spirit.

[MISSABLE]

Throughout the game, there will be three instances where Poirot will comment that something is out of order, and you must right these mini-puzzles to unlock this trophy. You can track this using the in-game achievement alerts; the first instance will unlock Four-Leaf Clover, the second will unlock Snowflake, and the final will unlock Cesium-133.

The locations are as follows:

1) Betty's Room: You will solve a puzzle involving her clock. Move the hands to read 12:00. This may take a few tries to register.

2) Whitehaven: Before going to the third crime scene, you'll see Hastings packing a suitcase. Insist that order is necessary, and you'll enter an Observation puzzle (also needed for Eagle's Eye(B)). Solve it to pack the suitcase.

3) While investigating outside during your second visit to the third crime scene, you'll come across a misaligned planter. Push it back into place and the trophy will pop.

Edited by themindisacity
Editorial Sweep

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/013.jpg Large donkey (B)

Even Poirot sometimes makes mistakes … but he doesn't make as many as you! Get a grip on yourself before your reputation is tarnished.

[MISSABLE]

Mistakes can only be made during conversation. Generally, your conversation choices don't matter, but there are several instances when they do, leading to Poirot making a mistake in his deductions. This one is a bit harder to track, because there are only a few in-game achievements – Small Donkey (1) and Medium Donkey (4) – that will show up when you've made a mistake. You need to make 8 mistakes to unlock the trophy.

Here are the 8 I was able to confirm; there are likely more. See my walkthrough for specific instructions on how to do these things if you don't mind spoilers.

1) Make Mary cry during her interrogation.

2) Tell Japp that the murderer is unpredictable.

3) Tell Japp that the murderer is an opportunist and theft is motive.

4) Ask Thora's aversion to Franklin Clarke - this unlocks Medium Donkey, which won't actually show up until the beginning of the first group meeting.

5) During the first group meeting, call Megan impatient.

6) During the first group meeting, tell Donald you don't have to talk about uncomfortable things.

7) Give the Black Swan owner a heart attack over the phone.

8) Give Hastings the gun with live ammo in it.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/94f.jpg Quadruple gear (B)

"Glory to the hand of man, the equal of his mind!" One is nothing without the other and it is by using both that you were able to solve all of the riddles!

This will be awarded for solving all of the “Thinking” puzzles. The trophy will pop after solving the typewriter puzzle near the end of the game.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/b41.jpg Newspaper (B)

The newspapers are talking about the case, therefore, they are also talking about you. Fame is not all that unpleasant.

[MISSABLE]

During the course of the game, you will return to Whitehaven, Poirot's home, several times. Each time, there will be a newspaper on a small table next to one of the couches. Look at it and read it at some point during the game for the trophy to unlock.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/b1a.jpg Pyramidal moustache (B)(H)

Finish Bexhill

Story related and cannot be missed. Will unlock after finishing up at the second crime scene and returning to Whitehaven.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/c37.jpg Pencil moustache (B)(H)

Finish Churston (first visit)

Story related and cannot be missed. Will unlock after finishing up at the third crime scene and returning to Whitehaven.

Edited by Darth_Krid
Editorial Sweep

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/8bc.jpg Hungarian moustache (B)(H)

Finish Churston (second visit)

Story related and cannot be missed. Will unlock after finishing your second sweep of the third crime scene and returning to Whitehaven.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/1cd.jpg Candelabra moustache (B)(H)

Finish Marbury Guesthouse

4/26/16: Trophy glitched by patch 1.02. Patch 1.03 has resolved this issue. Make sure you are playing the game either entirely unpatched (only possible with disc copies) or on patch 1.03. Do not leave it on patch 1.02!

Story related and cannot be missed. Will unlock after finishing your search of the suspect's lodgings and returning to Whitehaven.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/299.jpg Gandhi moustache (G)(H)

As you were loading the revolver you entrusted to Hastings with blanks, you clearly chose a non-violent approach to the problem. You'll thank yourself for it!

[MISSABLE]

After your interrogation of the murder suspect, you will find yourself back at Whitehaven, ready to enact a cunning plan involving Poirot's seldom-used revolver. In the bureau behind one of the couches is a gun with both live and blank rounds. Loading the gun with live rounds contributes to Large Donkey(B) while loading it with blanks gives you this trophy.

If you want to unlock everything in a single playthrough, you will need to back up your save prior to loading the gun, otherwise you will have to play through the entire game again.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4294/bb9.jpg Sheriff moustache (S)(H)

You intervened just in time! Your fortuitous telephone call probably saved the Donbar's life.

[MISSABLE]

After you identify a suspect for the ABC Murders, you will be tasked with calling the Black Swan hotel. Depending on how you handle the conversation, either everything will be fine, or you will induce a heart attack in the owner of the hotel. Giving the owner a heart attack contributes to Large Donkey(B), and avoiding it by putting everything into perspective and keeping the owner out of danger unlocks this trophy.

If you want to unlock everything in a single playthrough, you will need to back up your save prior to making the phone call, otherwise you will have to play through the entire game again.

Edited by themindisacity
Editorial Sweep

*Guide stuck*

Thank you for contributing this guide to the site! :)

The only thing you need to do is add the time and difficult poll links when they're added. Let us know in the Update thread when they're done :)

Shame this doesn't have a (P), I love the investigation like the Sherlock Holmes ones and even The Raven was decent. Used to watch the Poirot series at home too, very familiar with this story.

*Guide stuck*

Thank you for contributing this guide to the site! :)

The only thing you need to do is add the time and difficult poll links when they're added. Let us know in the Update thread when they're done :)

Shame this doesn't have a (P), I love the investigation like the Sherlock Holmes ones and even The Raven was decent. Used to watch the Poirot series at home too, very familiar with this story.

Will do; thanks!

It's been discussed a bit on this forum, but the game has 50 in-game achievements. Ostensibly, if all of them had stayed in, there would have been a (P). Instead the bulk were removed, for reasons I still don't understand.

It's a shame, too, because it's actually a pretty good game.

• 4 weeks later...

Small potential glitch warning: the trophy for completing the Marbury chapter glitched for me and never unlocked. Will replay later to hopefully get it this time.

Anyways, thanks for another wonderful guide, themindisacity ^^

EDIT: Yup, it's glitched (might be the game version I have, a randomly occuring glitch, or a new one caused by the patch that just came out). Completed the game parts on a new profile and still no trophy (the in-game award never unlocks either).

Edited by Bucket

• 2 weeks later...
Small potential glitch warning: the trophy for completing the Marbury chapter glitched for me and never unlocked. Will replay later to hopefully get it this time.

Anyways, thanks for another wonderful guide, themindisacity ^^

EDIT: Yup, it's glitched (might be the game version I have, a randomly occuring glitch, or a new one caused by the patch that just came out). Completed the game parts on a new profile and still no trophy (the in-game award never unlocks either).

Same problem for me right now. Candelabra mustache didn't pop for me. Don't want to really do another run if it won't pop as the story is bland after the first run.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am so sad I paid 39.99 for this. It's on sale now for 19.99 and would have been much better. Very annoyed that there is no platinum for this. Guess that's what I get for buying in on this early instead of listening to my instincts that I should have waited for a sale.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife is playing this and I noticed when she was looking at the awards she unlocked listed in the menu, that they seem to share names with the trophies, but the trophies aren't unlocked whereas the awards are. Are the awards and trophies not connected or related? Like I said I'm not playing so maybe I'm missing something lol.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...