Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - S-Rank Walkthrough (Video and Text)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm that's interesting :think:

Did the S-rank save for you in mission select?

Cause I know you can still get S-rank at the mission end-screen if you've destroyed the radio (no matter if you did so in free roam or during the mission). The real problem seems to be that the rank is displayed as "-" in the mission select overview. Seems like the game isn't properly registering it there.

I somehow can't get this to work. I tried it for a quiete a while before doing the sniping method and she always dodged away last second (even when I popped out of cover). Maybe it has something to do with the game's variable difficulty system, cause enemies change depending on how you play. Her reflexes are way better in mission 40 than they were in mission 11.

Anyway, both methods are worth a try. Maybe supply drop still works for some people there. Maybe not for others. Alternatively, you could even use a tank to shoot her. Or use the rocket arm or plant sleeping gas mines at one of her sniping spots. Many methods for this fight :)

Pretty sure it showed I had S rank, I'll double check when I get home from work tonight.

And fwiw I couldn't get the supply drop thing to work even in mission 11. :p The one I tried she jumped out of the way of. Had to just sit and snipe her that mission.

And fwiw I couldn't get the supply drop thing to work even in mission 11. :p The one I tried she jumped out of the way of. Had to just sit and snipe her that mission.

same happened to me, to get it to work, for me anyways, was to keep popping my head out for a sec to get her distracted for the supply to drop in time.

Yeah I couldn't get that to work either until my Support Team had levelled up a bit and got the supply drops sent quicker, and then it worked.

Pretty sure it showed I had S rank, I'll double check when I get home from work tonight.

I doublechecked this and I do still have an S rank on this mission, so it must only bug if you destroy the stuff in free roam.

4Hh6enO.jpg

I also tried that tank method for mission 40 and it works quite well, the biggest issue is getting into the tank in the first place, but after that you can just sit and shoot her wherever she goes from the ridge near where you start.

@PowerPyx

Is there a way to S mission 42 without Quite?

Yea you don't need her for nay of the S-ranks. She just provides some extra fire power in this particular mission, which may save a little bit of time. But if you have one of the strong sniper rifles it won't matter much.

Powerpyx, any idea if there are any missable trophies? Starting the game today and would hate to miss any in such a huge game.

No missable trophies as far as I know.

Has any new information come out about having the "-" rank on Mission 4 (C2W) causing any issues with unlocking the Elite trophy or any of the in-game items related to S ranks?

I have just received confirmation that the glitched S-rank in mission 4 does void the Elite (G) trophy.

If you have this glitch, it's best to start a new game from scratch. Otherwise, you can only wait and hope for a patch to fix it.

I have just received confirmation that the glitched S-rank in mission 4 does void the Elite (G) trophy.

If you have this glitch, it's best to start a new game from scratch. Otherwise, you can only wait and hope for a patch to fix it.

Well there goes 30 hours I guess. Thanks for the confirmation.

Hey Powerpyx

Is this the only mission with a glitch? I have a S on this mission so I hope there aren't anymore glitched s-missions :p.

Thanks for all your effort!

There are multiple solutions for the "glitch" in this thread.

The solutions there don't work for any of the people I know. They tried replaying it after S-ranking all the other missions and it still shows " - " in mission select. They get S-rank at the end, but in mission select it stays that way.

Also, the suggested solution did not work for the thread creator it seems :think:

This only makes the antennas respawn, but as far as I can tell the S-rank will stay glitched in mission select. Correct me if I'm wrong :D

Hey Powerpyx

Is this the only mission with a glitch? I have a S on this mission so I hope there aren't anymore glitched s-missions :p.

Thanks for all your effort!

It's the only glitched mission. Hopefully it gets fixed soon, this is game breaking. I cannot believe this was overlooked by the devs.

The solutions there don't work for any of the people I know. They tried replaying it after S-ranking all the other missions and it still shows " - " in mission select. They get S-rank at the end, but in mission select it stays that way.

Also, the suggested solution did not work for the thread creator it seems :think:

This only makes the antennas respawn, but as far as I can tell the S-rank will stay glitched in mission select. Correct me if I'm wrong :D.

Alright, I stand corrected then. I thought it worked for them. It's one of those glitches that is quite likely to get patched though. Hopefully it will be.

On topic though I'm through around 30 S-ranks right now thanks to these walkthroughs, and I must compliment the fact that you're always far over the required 130k, which gives quite some room for error or alternative gameplay.

Are "all objectives" videos for the (S)Executed trophy in your plans for the future?

On Mission 48 and the other missions there with the mansion, you can ride your horse towards the waterfall and turn around, follow the cliff back up and the skulls won't be there. They disappear once you go down there to the waterfall. Only adds 5 seconds to the mission and you can then ride freely to the rocks near the mansion.

Thank you so much for the videos, they were excellent! So sorry to hear you got glitched, hoping they work a fix in there soon.

Edit: I am now glitched. Same mission but going through doing all the mission requirements had already gotten the S-ranking done.

Edited by recklesscognition

These videos are very helpful! ^^ I only just got started with S-ranking missions, but so far it's going quite well.

Too bad that when restarting a mission you always have to sit through that blasted chopper intro again, I hate that.

Sniping the target in Mission 3 was a great way to finish the mission quickly. Unfortunately it seems I'm not very good at using the sniper rifle; the bullet never seems to hit where the crosshair is pointing... I had to retry that mission several times before I was able to snipe the target without wasting too many shots and getting spotted. >_<;