Story Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Rat

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game was pretty good. I never thought of the full picture, but I always thought at the end of the game we were going to have the choice to let Chloe die by rewinding the time to the beginning. However, I didn't think the solution to all problems (like the killer being the teacher when the cops simply interrogated Nathan on that ending) was just that. I guess they want to tell us, just like other time travel movies, that you must accept what happens and not alter history (although impossible at the moment) even if you mean good.

Anyway, I think it was mentioned in the game and some comments also mentioned this. It's about choosing either Chloe or the town. I found funny that some mention that people in the town are bad and stuff and that's their reason to choose Chloe over the town. While I guess that understandable, I found it funny because Chloe is not exactly a saint herself. That includes that in one of these timelines, she killed that junkie just for information to find her missing friend. Also, just like other people in town, she was thinking about her herself. She didn't seem to care about Max and whenever she messed up because she was expecting Max to solve all of her problems by using her powers while Max always was having second thoughts about her own powers. That is my reason I chose to let Chloe die. Still, I clarify it's all about opinions.

I absolutely adore this game, especially the way they used the music so effectively.

I chose the "bad" ending I guess, in saving Chloe and sacrificing Arcadia Bay, but I just couldn't give up on her after all of the things she and Max went through (didn't kill her wheelchair-bound version either). I didn't think too long about it at the end, just based my decision on the emotion I felt at the time and that emotion was Max's devotion to Chloe. Thinking back, I suppose it makes more sense that Chloe had to die sometime and that saving the town may have been a more complicated but "moral" choice.

The twist with Mr. Jefferson was quite effective, I thought. I got suddenly suspicious about him just beforehand, when he was announcing the winner at the party. The way they framed Max running into him at the party instead of Nathan, and if I remember correctly, the way he looked at Chloe, I realized at the very last minute "Sh**! We screwed up!" That was a very engaging moment for me.

The game made me get quite choked up and maybe a little weepy a few times: when wheelchair-Chloe was revealed, at the end when they were at the lighthouse, and especially when they found Rachel's body (that last one had me feeling physically sick to my stomach for a little while). Maybe my emotions are too easily influenced by storytelling, but once again, I think the delivery of the music in each of these moments was a big factor, too.

I just finished the game. I heard it had a great story but wow, did it ever. I usually get kinda bored with episodic games and finding them hard to come back to once I finish an episode but man. The story was so good. My mom came in and watched me play for a bit and doesn't quite understand that games can be a way to convey a story rather than just beating up bad guys all the time so I had a laugh at her reaction to some of the scenes. Overall, fantastic game; cannot wait for what they do with the next one.

• 3 weeks later...

I really liked the game, I even think it sometimes beat Telltale games in terms of emotion, because they don't wallow in their gloomy stories even if Life Is Strange deals with serious topics like suicide, rape and school bullying.

Why ? Because the game offers sometimes moments of solace between the characters, so when a choice appears, the emotion works better (for example, when Chloe asks you to end her life at the end of the prologue of the fourth episode...or the last choice).

Nonetheless, the game has some flaws like the constant use of references (most of the time irrelevant) to movies and tv shows at the beginning, as if the developers could only create a bond between the characters and the player with huge winks until Max gets her power.

Also the way they talk (Max always saying "not so/ so" or Chloe and her "hella") feel a bit forced to show they are teenagers.

I watched the trailer for the upcoming prequel, and I'm a bit afraid it will only be a Telltale rip-off, since the manipulation of time was what made Life Is Strange different :think:

I watched the trailer for the upcoming prequel, and I'm a bit afraid it will only be a Telltale rip-off, since the manipulation of time was what made Life Is Strange different :think:

Yeah, I mean it seems to be more grounded in reality than the original but I'm still hyped for it. Based on the 20 min gameplay footage, Rachel does seem to be somewhat obnoxious, kinda the way Chloe was in the original. But I'm sure we'll see a lot of character development so it's too early to judge.

I'm personally a huge fan of these story-based episodic games, so even if it is a telltale ripoff I'm propably gonna love it. :D

Edited by Turmoil

• 1 month later...

I honestly had no idea about the combination to leave the bathroom in the nightmare and actually managed to guess it correctly by entering random combinations I saw on the wall. I assumed that it let you leave after 3 attempts!

I kind of romanced both Chloe and Warren and at the end of the nightmare, they both mocked Max for leading them both on and began to kiss. Is this an event that happens to everyone, or did this occur due to being nice to both of them?

Loved the game! I ended up sacrificing Arcadia Bay to save Chloe, but after watching both endings, I'm a bit disappointed at how short that ending is! It seems like the devs wanted us to sacrifice Chloe, and gave a more impactful ending because of it.

• 4 weeks later...

There never was a choice. The entire game, Max's entire journey is to save Chloe. I knew from the moment the storm showed up that it would be Chloe or untold death and destruction. So when she handed me that picture I was ready to rip it up and let Arcadia crumble.

But I couldn't... Kate, Warren, Joyce and David, Frank and Pompidou, even Victoria and all the other Blackwell students deserved to live just as much as Chloe. What was the point of it all if I let them all die? With a sadness I haven't felt since Aeris died in Final Fantasy VII (a game I played twenty years exactly), I let Chloe go.

Now I'm sitting here completely emotionally drained in a way that very few things (books, comics, movies, games) have ever left me. Thank you Square Enix, thank you Dontnod. Not the hardest platinum I've ever earned, but one of the most absolutely satisfying ones.

• 3 months later...

LMFAO at what happens to alyssa in the last chapter (at least in my game). my god that girl was born under a bad sign... despite the serious aspect of this game, which was heavy as FUCK at times, there were some really hilarious moments sprinkled in in just the right amount to avoid cheese.

i saved chloe, without even giving it any thought really. everyone in that town was miserable anyway, especially that damned trucker (i would have beaten him to death with his own moustache if that were presented as an option.), and the ever-pissed-off fisherman was annoying too. plus, maybe chloe and max will get to a proper kiss at some point, with tongues, and grinding, and none of that "waking up fully clothed" nonsense either.

just everything about this game was great (even though a lot of the plot surprises were obvious [movies with a "twist" suck for me because i usually untwist them about 10 minutes into the movie (the sixth sense could have been 5 minutes long for me...)]). the comedy, the serious bits, the flow, the dialog, the trippyness, the progression to trippyness, the brutality... it was all just perfect to me. they could basically just make this into a "black mirror" type miniseries on netflix by just casting the right people and using the music, dialog, etc., right from the game, and they'd have a hit. just waiting for the director's commentary to DL now. great job devs.

Edited by shathe

• 1 month later...

Just something I was thinking about recently...

What is up with the school allowing the activities of the Vortex Club? I mean, the kids are drinking and drugging each other on campus and in the pool. Not to mention the clearly implied sex happening in the classrooms. All of this with no teacher chaperones and the one school security guard fired. The only adult presence at the entire party is when Jefferson announces the award winner, and he immediately leaves.

What kind of an irresponsible drunk is that principal, anyway? :think: That party had accidental drowning deaths, dozens of school-sponsored pregnancies, and class-action lawsuit written all over it. And what kind of ass-hole children go ahead with such a party just a couple of days after a student commits public suicide? Also on the same campus?!

Edited by MrMinderbinder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...