One Shot & Dying: The Definitive Infographic!

swotam

For those going for the One Shot trophy who have questions about what happens when you inevitably die while going for a "no deaths" trophy, I present the definitive infographic that answers all your questions!

(OK so it's more like a crappy flowchart, work with me people ;))...

Enjoy!

ikadyKJ.png

PS: I'd get in the habit of saving twice at checkpoints in difficult areas, just in case.

Edited by Terminator
Replaced a missing image.

This is good but doesn't cover whether using a mission save will work if you believe that both current and previous saves have registered a death. Example:

Currently up to mission 14 with no deaths.

Died on current save with death registered.

Loaded previous save, died with death registered. Both saves have deaths registered.

Load mission 14 save and start again?

Has this been confirmed to work? I believe someone on another thread said this worked for them.

This is good but doesn't cover whether using a mission save will work if you believe that both current and previous saves have registered a death.

Not sure if Mission saves will work, never tried it myself and never had a need to. If someone can confirm I can add it to the image.

When you choose to load your Previous save, it becomes your Last save while your original Last save becomes your Previous save, so technically you could end up in a situation where both your save files have a death recorded. If this happens, you wouldn't be able to get the trophy unless loading a Mission save works, which isn't clear.

That said, if you are going for One Shot you'd have to go out of your way to get yourself into the situation where you have both save files with a death recorded, which presumably you wouldn't do if you were intentionally going for the no deaths trophy.

In order to do this, you would have to die, have the death recorded, and then either a) not reload your Previous save and continue to a checkpoint then manually save again, or b) load your Previous Save and then die again. At this point you wouldn't be able to go back to a save that didn't have the death recorded, but I'm not sure why someone would actually do that if they were going for One Shot unless they were extremely confused about what "no deaths" means or didn't understand how the saves work.

The easiest way to avoid this is to manually save your game immediately after loading your Previous Save. You might need to wait a couple of minutes to do this, but it will ensure that both your Last and Previous save don't have a death recorded.

Edited by swotam
Updated for accuracy

When doing a one shot no kills no deaths run, this is what I do:

Every 30 minutes I upload my saves to the online storage. Every 2 hours I copy that to a usb stick. Anytime I face near death, I reload current save. If I doubt the load was quick enough, I dashboard it and copy the online storage saves back to local storage.

I call this: "Alien Insurance".

• Like 2

Ok, so I can confirm that loading a mission save works. If you are in any doubt that both current and previous saves have deaths recorded, you can load the mission save and start again (obviously as long as you have no deaths recorded up to that current mission)

I have just completed a no death hard run and a few times have died on both current and previous saves with the death recorded (yes, was a bit slow with the pause button!) so I reloaded the mission save and started again. Got the trophy no problem.

Good to know there is another insurance policy to go back on ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I'm doing my hard run and no deaths for my 1st play through and haven't had any issues yet.

I'm on chapter 7 now and realized I missed a ton of blueprints along the way! Am I fucked or can I still beat the game like this? I only can craft medkits and flash bangs lol any advice would be nice since I've been playing without any guide

I'm on chapter 7 now and realized I missed a ton of blueprints along the way! Am I fucked or can I still beat the game like this? I only can craft medkits and flash bangs lol any advice would be nice since I've been playing without any guide

It would be useful to have the EMP mine and pipebomb but if not you can occasionally find some of these along the way. If you're planning a second playthrough for collectibles and the like you can always grab them then to get the crafting trophy.

I'd suggest you be more thorough in your explorations from this point forward. There are some plans you can find later that will be useful.

Ok thanks, I'm on chapter 10 now and I did find a few more blueprints along the way. Still short on the pipebomb and mine. I guess I'll just do a 2nd play through. Game isn't even hard it just takes time to creep around to each objective. So no biggie runnin through on easy

Thanks for the info, was going to ask 'what do I do when I die' but don't need to now :)

I'm on my no deaths play through, 1st play through I did was on hard and I died loads of times, was really hard to escape the Alien.

Started playing my no deaths run through on easy and the Alien is not so clever on this difficulty setting, his eyes are not so good. Take a look at this that happened to me today-

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by Ace of Toads

I haven't started my no deaths run (just completed my first run-through on hard), but just so I have this right...

Let's say I die and the death registers, so I load my previous save. If I then die again, I have to load the mission save.

However, if I die and the death registers and I load my previous save, I can then save again, and if I *then* die I'm ok to load my previous save?

I haven't started my no deaths run (just completed my first run-through on hard), but just so I have this right...

Let's say I die and the death registers, so I load my previous save. If I then die again, I have to load the mission save.

However, if I die and the death registers and I load my previous save, I can then save again, and if I *then* die I'm ok to load my previous save?

When i died and reloaded a previous save I saved 2 more times at the save station (save wait 2 mins then save again) and that wiped all deathes from saves. To be honest though i managed to hit the pause button most of the time to reload current save.

When exactly does a death got registered?

I have noticed that when I die, the save icon shows up on the load save screen.. is that when it counts?

Yes, try and hit pause/options button as soon as possible and just reload current save. If you see save icon load previous save then save again at a save station.

My no deaths run was pretty reckless... I just ran through every area as quick as I could and did the whole thing in about 5hrs. I died a handful of times, as the running attracted the alien a lot :p

But as soon as he grabs you just reload last save. That's all I did. I also accidently shot a civilian and got the death screen, and reloaded previous save. The facehuggers surprisingly didnt kill me... but you can just spam :r2: when you hear them and you kill them with the wrench automatically.

Yesterday I got shot to death by 3 revolver shooters firing simultaneously, helalth droped to zero, character fell down on the floor but managed to pause before the screen went black & reloaded current save.

Now I'm wondering if this locked me out from One Shot for that playthrough... :think:

Edited by Kunegunda_GoRyl

I've just got this trophy on novice and got it in around 5 hours. I did what Harry did and just ran everywhere and shot anything that moved lol. The only times you gotta be careful is sections with the alien roaming around and the Facehuggers. Humans and androids arn't a problem at all since you can just kill them so easily.

If the alien spots you, just reload current save. On some occasions i would get the death screen, but if that happens just choose previous save. Then that will load up a save before you died and it doesn't count.

Novice was really easy to do it on.

The only dangerous areas are mission 6 (remember the ceiling vents!!) and the reactor maintenance area. The flamethrower does break the game in novice IMO.

As all facehuggers are scripted you need to remember where they are. However, random alien spawns during facehugger encounters screwed me over twice. Luckily I never died on both saves.

• 4 weeks later...