Is this game as bad as ppl say it is?

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. To start with I was a bit bemused by it, the movement felt really strange since you can basically move in all directions at the same speed regardless of which way you're facing, but I got used to it. Same thing went for the weapons, navigating a 9 weapon system with two buttons isn't very instinctive. I cringed a lot at some of the content too, some of the stuff Duke says is just tragic. As I went on though, I enjoyed it. Even the obnoxious 90s level design, which I don't normally like because I'll be in one area looking for something then forget where I am or how to get anywhere else, grew on me. It wasn't too complex, and there were only one or two levels where I got really stuck.

I didn't have any freezing problems either, like lots of people are mentioning. It froze twice I think at the same part on one of the levels in the second episode, but I got past it and didn't have any problems beyond that.

I was actually surprised at both how much content there was and how much enjoyment I got out of it. Part of me is disappointed there's no Platinum for the game because I think the length warrants it, but if there was a Plat we'd probably have to complete it on the hardest difficulty level and I don't think that's something I'd like to do. All things considered though, it was a fun game.

Glad to see that more people can get over the fact that this is an old game and enjoy it for what it is. Makes me feel proud to be a gamer after all (In my country we're kinda spoiled but that's another story).

As for the Platinum thing, I think it's unnecesary: It's a simple, downloadable $10 game in the same league as the Sega Classics or the Doom Classic Complete (Which I hope enters PS+ anytime soon). Also, some of the par times are really really hard, no matter in which difficulty are you playing. And the game itself makes a good challenge just beating it normally, except Nuclear Winter, that episode is bullshit.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see that more people can get over the fact that this is an old game and enjoy it for what it is. Makes me feel proud to be a gamer after all (In my country we're kinda spoiled but that's another story).

As for the Platinum thing, I think it's unnecesary: It's a simple, downloadable $10 game in the same league as the Sega Classics or the Doom Classic Complete (Which I hope enters PS+ anytime soon). Also, some of the par times are really really hard, no matter in which difficulty are you playing. And the game itself makes a good challenge just beating it normally, except Nuclear Winter, that episode is bullshit.

Yeah I see your points, I agree some of the 3D Realm times are mind boggling.

It might have been good back in the mid 90's but ..come on ..who would play a game like a paper cut character moving with a picture of a background, too primitive !! the game is unplayable for me ..i can't play it at all ...boring ..without my coop partner i would not had a single trophy in it

Nostalgia plays a strong part, it did for me :)

I personally wouldn't say this is a "bad game" but i'm now on the DLC campaigns and getting very bored. so much in fact i've started to use the wiki guide to get me through it as quickly as possible.

I have fond memories of the original portion of the game, me and my best friend played the game for ages racking our brains out trying to find the one last secret that eluded us. As well as seeing how tough it was on the hardest setting. If i remember correctly we did a level each and mocked each other on "i could of done that better bud" with plenty of "yeah right punk" after ;)

But as i found out when i played DOOM 3, old sometimes ain't so good. i was so frustrated by the original campaigns on D3 that i was actually complaining out loud "when will it end!!!???" I've seen the Doom Complete on sale many times and refuse to buy it due to this fact.

I think that it's fantastic that we can step back in time even with our next gen consoles. I wouldn't compare Duke or the original Doom games to anything about today. Duke or Doom never had the way point system that we take for granted now and playing Duke 3D i'm so glad that we do have those options today.

Respect goes out to Duke, Doom and Wolfenstein. After all it's where it all began.

It might have been good back in the mid 90's but ..come on ..who would play a game like a paper cut character moving with a picture of a background, too primitive !! the game is unplayable for me ..i can't play it at all ...boring ..without my coop partner i would not had a single trophy in it

I barely managed two trophies solo on this myself.

Even with the glitches and bugs , I think I found one of my favorite parts of the entire series. Towards the end of the level Mr. Splashy's in Duke Caribbean in the wave pool and you turn to the beach and what seems to be 30+ enemies pop up and body parts are flying all over! Granted that's one of the few, it was still worth it. First time I wasn't expecting that and died instantly.

I've been playing the Vita version for about 10 hours and it's frozen once. It was during a long level and I was at about 30 minutes so I'm guessing the rewinding crashed the game. Apart from that it freezes for a second or so every few minutes and the rewinding feature when you die can take a long time to load especially when it's filled up with a lot of gameplay. Everything else has been fine.

I've been playing the Vita version for about 10 hours and it's frozen once. It was during a long level and I was at about 30 minutes so I'm guessing the rewinding crashed the game. Apart from that it freezes for a second or so every few minutes and the rewinding feature when you die can take a long time to load especially when it's filled up with a lot of gameplay. Everything else has been fine.

The vita version is a lot stabler.

No its not that bad. This was pure gold at the time of release, which was 20 years ago. And the level design isn't all that complicated. My problems with it were the weapon select system, the humour falling flat, and the really laggy multiplayer.But I loved the trip down memory lane to be honest, and I had quite a blast.

• 4 months later...

Wow, you're telling me I get Duke Nukem 3D, the Atomic Edition, with 3 expansion packs, for less than $3? Actually I don't remember the price exactly because I bought that shit right away. What a steal! I'd have thought it'd be no less than $9.99 (apparently it was before.) The expansions could have been an easy DLC cash grab but there is still good left in the market.

This is by no means a bad game, only a subpar port. I haven't seen anybody mention it here but my display is JACKED UP- the numbers for my health, armor, and ammo don't appear in the boxes where they're supposed to; not horrible but it's a little hard to read. Despite that, the game is much better than I remember. I was a wuss back then and savescummed my way to victory. Now, with the rewind feature I only save at the start of a stage and I generally don't die.

But if you weren't in the game back in the mid-90's, you won't get why this game was THE SHIT like Wolfenstein, Doom, and Marathon (if you had a Mac.) It was just such a breath of fresh air in a stale genre. Previous FPS characters had no face, no voice, no personality, and no name (EDIT: I forgot Wolfenstein's hero having at least some of those but that's all I can think of.) Levels were almost no better: haphazardly-placed rooms and corridors that were supposed to be space ships or moon bases. Duke Nukem had an actual CHARACTER, interesting level design (this place is a bar, this is a bathroom, and this is a sex toy shop), and a sense of humor. It was raunchy too.

Things have come a long way in 20 years so yeah it's dated. Everything's dated a decade down the line. But this was top of the game back when it was made. It doesn't convince me otherwise that FPS's in general are rather cheap in design- nearly all the enemies in this game can fuck you up at a moment's notice, even the pig cops.

Edited by stickghost

• 2 months later...

Note to those complaining about the graphics... it is older than probably some of you.

This game is awesome if you were a Duke fan and played it back in the day or are into old school games. What a steal, I got it and the vita version for $5. Wish it had some more trophies/a platinum but well worth the buy!

• 2 weeks later...

shitty.

i know it's old; i used to play the original wolfenstein waaaaaaay back.

that does not excuse the crap job they did bringing it to ps3. the term 'glitch' does not do justice to the problems that plague this game. i prefer the term 'shit-sandwich'. it's as if you are playing the game, and every ten minutes the developers say, "here, have a shit sandwich. enjoy."

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the expansions is glitched out and won't save the first level. More than a few issues with it hanging. Graphics were fine, it's an old game.

Multiplayer is dead, but mandatory to plat the game. Not sure why it was included at all. Did they really expect a lot of demand even if it had worked?

I liked the mid 90s fps games, and would have enjoyed a working port. Thankfully I was playing on a Vita, I've heard the PS3 port is an absolute nightmare.

Note to those complaining about the graphics... it is older than probably some of you.

This game is awesome if you were a Duke fan and played it back in the day or are into old school games. What a steal, I got it and the vita version for $5. Wish it had some more trophies/a platinum but well worth the buy!

Hahaha! That's true except me. My son is 20 so you are right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I liked the mid 90s fps games, and would have enjoyed a working port. Thankfully I was playing on a Vita, I've heard the PS3 port is an absolute nightmare.

I got to play some of this just now on the vita after trying it on ps3 many months ago and I find the vita better. It just seems to fit the style this game. Plus, less of a risk of getting motion sickness. Found it better to play it on vita.

• 6 months later...

It's so weird since the game plays horrible on the PS3 while the PC version is a lot smoother.

The loading and saving takes ages, while we are talking about a game that came out in 1996.

It really felt like they put more effort into the PC version then the console version (except I haven't played the 360 version so I can't comment about that).

• 4 weeks later...

I really wanted to play this on vita but I caved and played on PS3.

Playing this coop is a challenge in later levels cause some of these maps are mazes

This was a game I was looking forward to but it sounds like a disaster. Besides the freezing and other problems is it good at all? Even if it is good it looks like a game to stay away from.

Just bit the bullet and play the damn thing already you know you wanna be Duke Nukem in real life

Edited by djhmetfan2

• 1 year later...

I was angry when i realize this version had levels that are not available in other versions and i can't buy it anymore due to being pulled out of the PS3 store. BUT from what i understand here, the expensions where pretty terrible?

Or is it the opinion of peoples who just don't like the game in the first place? Obviously if you never played it back in the days and/or don't like old school shooters, you won't like it much its understandable. For me its nostalgia kicking it when playing it and doing new levels that i didn't played back then still play a nostalgia meet new factor wich is cool...

Its like if Mortal Kombat 3 would release a version with new characters, either the ones from later games or original new characters. Even if i never played them i would love to try them cause i love MK3 and its big nostalgia for me.

I freely admit that I'm not a fan of DN 3D but regardless of how I feel about the main game, the first 2 expansions are bloody awful (though the 3rd was ok). IMO they just felt like a couple of fan mods that someone had made by taking all the deleted materials from the main game, then haphazardly gluing everything together in a vain attempt to make something resembling a cohearant experience but failing miserably in every respect.

• 2 months later...