PlayStation TV - FAQ

Psikorps

With the NA/EU release coming up quick I figured this might help a few people make a more informed decision if considering purchasing the PlayStation TV, so here we go.

*If you can think of other questions that have not been addressed in this list, please comment and I will update the OP asap.*

Q: When is the PlayStation TV release date?

A: In NA it will be released on October 14th, in EU on November 14th.

Q: How much does it cost?

A: In NA the standalone unit is $99.99.

Or you have the option of getting a bundle that includes the PlayStation TV console, a Dualshock 3 (PS3 controller), an 8GB Vita memory card and The LEGO Movie Videogame, for $139.99.

Also if you have a Walmart in your area (what area doesn't these days) You can find a exclusive bundle that comes with everything in the first PlayStation TV bundle plus you get Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, again for $139.99.

*Note* The Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time game included in the Walmart bundle is a digital download as well.

(Prices are the same for both the US and Canada)

In EU regions PlayStation TV will be £84.99/€99.99, and while there is currently no bundle, the EU region version will contain redemption codes for digital versions of three games, Worms Revolution Extreme, Velocity Ultra and OlliOlli.

*Updated*

The Lego Movie Game included with the NA bundle is a digital voucher, no physical card is included.

Q: What is the PlayStation TV?

A: The PlayStation TV is a Micro Console, that is basically a PlayStation Vita without the portable aspect, that also acts as a HUB or Extender for the PS4 allowing your PS4 to be accessed by whatever TV the PlayStation TV is plugged into via remote play.

Q: Just how big is this "Micro Console"?

A: It weighs Approximately - 3.9 ounces (about 110 grams or 1/4 of 1lb)

It's dimensions are Approximately - 2.6” x 4.1” x .5” (6.6cm x 10.4cm x 1.2cm)

Its small.

Q: What does the PlayStation TV do exactly?

A: The PlayStation TV allows gamers to play their physical & digital Vita games, digital PSP games, digital PS1 Classic games and PlayStation Minis games on their TV's.

The full list of NA titles supported at launch can be found here:

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5376

The full list of EU titles supported at launch can be found here:

PlayStation TV: Release date, price and full list of compatible games - PlayStation.Blog.Europe

In addition to that list it also allows users to stream their PS4 games to the PlayStation TV and play PS4 content on TV's in their home without having have to move their main PS4 unit or buy more than one, using Remote Play.

Furthermore it also gives users access to some PS3 & PSN titles via the PlayStation Now streaming service.

You can also access apps like Netflix and YouTube for a multimedia experience.

Q: Does the PlayStation TV require a wired connection to the PS4 to stream its games, or does it use Wi-Fi.

A: Both are options. The recommended connection to stream PS4 games, is wired.

Q: What ports are on the PlayStation TV?

A:

http://oi58.tinypic.com/k3kvwj.jpg

*Updated*

Q: What input/output ports and connectivity features does PS TV support?

A: HDMI OUT, Ethernet, and one USB 2.0 port. PS TV also features integrated 802.11 b/g/n (n=1×1) Wi-Fi for wireless internet connectivity and for DUALSHOCK 3 and DUALSHOCK 4 controller support as well as Bluetooth headset/headphone (A2DP, AVRCP, HSP) and keyboard (HID).

Q: Can I use my Dualshock 4 (PS4) controller on the PlayStation TV instead of the Dualshock 3 (PS3) controller?

A: Yes, right out of the box.

Q: Trophies? Can I earn them?

A: Yes, exactly like on Vita, PS3 or PS4. PlayStation TV counts as a Vita when it comes to trophies for Vita games, a PS3 when you play PS3 or PSN games via PlayStation Now and a PS4 if your using remote play to play PS4 games, but no matter what your playing (excluding games that don't have trophies like PSP games or PS Minis) you can earn trophies just like normal.

Q: Does the PlayStation TV support more than one account? Does it work like a PS3/4 where multiple accounts can coexist or is it like the current Vita where it's a single account only?

A: The PlayStation TV functions exactly like the Vita in this regard, one user at a time, also tied to the memory card, so multiple users would require their own memory cards and can not share purchased content.

However, while each user will still require their own memory card, games on PS4, both physical and digital that are accessed via remote play can be used by secondary users as long as they also have a profile associated with their PSN ID on that PS4.

For example...

Player A: Is a :psn+: subscriber, buys Destiny on PS4, is able to play it, has the console set as their primary.

Player B: Has their profile on the same PS4, also set as primary, has no :psn+: membership, but Destiny can be played via remote play on PlayStation TV with remote play as long as they are signed in using the same PSN ID as they have on the PS4.

*Note* PlayStation Plus ":psn+:" subscriptions still required for the majority of online multiplayer play in PS4 online games, there are some exceptions like Warframe, and other free-to-play titles, amongst select others. :psn+: is NOT required to use remote play in any game, unless it has online functionality you wish to access, but remote play is not tied to :psn+:.

Q: Will my current Vita memory card work in the PlayStation TV?

A: Yep, just swap them out as needed.

Q: Can the PlayStation TV be used for co-op in conjunction with the PS4?

A: This is currently unknown in full detail, very little information has been released. (As the info is released and confirmed, this will be updated to reflect that)

*Updated*

Q: What about ad hoc trophies and multiplayer?

A: The PlayStation TV is capable of ad hoc communication with the PS Vita and PSP for multiplayer or trophies, ad hoc does work between multiple PlayStation TV units. It will also be possible for players to get ad hoc trophies themselves now much easier if they own both the PlayStation TV and a Vita.

Q: Is there any kind of monthly fee to use PlayStation TV?

A: No, it's a regular gaming console. However if you want to stream PS4 games with multiplayer then a :psn+: subscription would be required for most titles.

Q: What apps are available for PlayStation TV?

A: *Updated* Crackle, Crunchyroll and Qello are available day one, with more info on future updates coming soon. (No Netflix or YouTube at launch)

Q: Can EU/NA regions use the other regions console or games, with their home regions PSN account. (IE. Is the PlayStation TV Region Locked?)

A: Unknown, the Vita TV was region locked (to an extent) in Japan, you could only access the JPN region PSN store and only if you had a JPN region PSN ID, some physical media from other regions worked however. (This answer will be updated as details are confirmed)

Q: Can the PlayStation Vita be used as a controller with the PlayStation TV?

A: Yes, the Vita can be used as a controller. However it is unknown if it can be paired wirelessly like the Dualshock 3 or Dualshock 4 can. It will work if plugged in via the PlayStation TV's USB port.

Q:Will recording devices like the Hapuaggue or Elgato work with the PS TV?

A: It is currently unknown if the PlayStation TV will allow capture cards like the Hapuaggue or Elgato to work, the Vita TV when released in Japan did not allow HDMI capture cards to work without a workaround, so the same could be true for PlayStation TV.

*Note*This will be updated when information is released.

*Updated*

Q: Does PS TV support external HDMI-based game capture devices?

A: PS TV supports HDCP (copy protection). HDCP cannot be turned off. *This means a HDMI converter will be required for those wishing to do vid caps.*

Q: Will I be able to play MP3s on PS TV?

A: Yes. PS TV can play MP3 music that is stored on the memory card.

Q: Is a memory card required for gameplay?

A: PS TV has 1GB internal memory, which can be used for game saves or small-sized downloadable content. However, you will need a separate memory card for those games that require game saves or have downloadable content with larger data. A memory card isn’t required for streaming services like PS Now or Remote Play.

Q: Can I use my PS3 remote control on PS TV?

A: Yes, PS TV supports BD remote control (CECH-ZRC1).

Edited by Psikorps

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q: Can the PlayStation TV play video files from a USB drive like the PS3?

A: At launch the PlayStation TV will not play video file from the USB, only from the memory cards. (Video content can be transferred via the content manager on PC)

*Note* If this changes this will be updated.

**For additional Information not covered in this FAQ, please visit Sony's official FAQs at...

NA: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/07/playstation-tv-the-ultimate-faq-2/

EU: The ultimate PlayStation TV FAQ - PlayStation.Blog.Europe

*Update*

Connecting up to 4 controllers.

With the recent 3.35 PlayStation Firmware Update, up to four PS3 or PS4 controllers can be connected at the same time to allow up to 4 local players simultaneously.

(To do this, plug one controller into the PSTV via the USB cable at a time, then press the :ps: button to activate the controller, press and hold the :ps: button to assign the controller number to each as you choose)

Remote Play Quality Update

Select the PS4 link

Choose Start

Click the (...) (Found in the lower right corner of the screen)

Choose Settings

Then you'll see the Remote Play quality setting letting you choose "normal" for slower net connections or standard Wi-Fi or "high" for wired or fast net connections.

*Update*

Q: How do you use touch screen elements with the PlayStation TV?

A: When your at the main screen, press the guide button :ps:, this will bring up the same screen you can use to turn off the system or put it in standby, if you scroll down, you will see a option with a box to check that says "Use Touch Pointer in Games".

Check the box. But before closing the screen, move the cursor over to the "?" beside the option, it will display how to use the Left and Right analog sticks to simulate touch operations.

Q: How many Bluetooth devices can be paired with the PSTV at a time?

A: 4. Up to 4 Bluetooth devices can be paired with the PSTV at the same time, once the limit has been reached, you will have to delete devices from the paired list before new ones will be accepted.

Bluetooth devices that support the following profile can be paired with your system.

A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile)

AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile)

HSP (Headset Profile)

HID (Human Interface Device Profile)

Generally the Bluetooth devices used will fall into one of the following categories:

Wireless controller

BD Remote Control

Computer

Cell phone, smartphone

Headset

Speakers

Mouse

Keyboard

Printer

To see what devices you have paired or to change or adjust setting for paired devices, go to.

Settings > Devices

Edited by Psikorps

I don´t quite get this. Here is someone playing Ngs+ on PS TV. Though its not on eligable game list. Does it really work only for Japan??? This seems really odd.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus, are in the compatible games list for NA, but sadly not for EU.

Some games are regionally available others are not.

They could however be added at a later date.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus, are in the compatible games list for NA, but sadly not for EU.

Some games are regionally available others are not.

They could however be added at a later date.

ffs. Only game i want and they do this. I sure hope they will patch it.

I like it but to play PS vita games. It seems like all games are supported that I'm interested in. Good job sony. What about co-op play using the PSvita TV? Can you play kanck co-op in two separate rooms?

Updated the OP with the co-op question.

Sony has not revealed details on it yet sadly, nor has real info on how the Vita TV released in Japan worked with the Japanese PS4 in co-op terms.:(

We should find out soon though, and if Sony does not provide the info before hand, then in 3 weeks when it launches in NA details and facts will come pouring in, which will be added to the FAQ.

Is there some kind of monthly fee? Its $100 & it comes with all those games already on it you cant play all them for free can you?

There is no monthly fee outside of a PlayStation Plus subscription for PS4's multiplayer access if needed, but I think you have misunderstood about the games list, it does not come with all of those titles, only that if you own/buy them they are the ones that will work with the PlayStation TV.

OP updated with monthly fee info.

Btw: What about the trophies? For instence the AD hoc ones

Good question and OP updated with the ad hoc trophy info available.

Has a list of media apps available at launch in NA been released yet? It would be nice if the Vita TV could accommodate as many as a smart TV/blu-ray player/media streaming device and thereby serve as a replacement. I'm afraid we'll be limited to what we get on the Vita, which ain't much.

It would also be great if it allowed DLNA streaming, but given that the $400 PS4 can't even do that (while a $50 Roku can), I suspect Vita TV will be limited as well.

Not surprised to see that Gravity Rush, Tearaway, and Uncharted: Golden Abyss aren't on the list. I was curious how they were going to make those titles work without being on the Vita... looks like they just aren't :p

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, LEGO Marvel Superheroes, ModNation Racers: Road Trip, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus/Full Frontal Assault, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Resistance: Burning Skies, and Wipeout 2048 are also a no shows.

Which of the compatible Vita games are you guys most excited to be able to play on your TV? Persona 4: Golden?

Hello Psikorps,

First of all, you've made a nice Q&A!

Now I was wondering if you could also answer my questions:

Is Netflix confirmed for Europe too? (I guess not, since it also isn't available on Vita).

Secondly, would an imported Vita TV (from US) work in Europe, with an EU account?

Hello Psikorps,

First of all, you've made a nice Q&A!

Now I was wondering if you could also answer my questions:

Is Netflix confirmed for Europe too? (I guess not, since it also isn't available on Vita).

Secondly, would an imported Vita TV (from US) work in Europe, with an EU account?

Thanks. :) Updated the app info question with the EU info and added the region lock Q/A.

Only one user for now? That's something they need to fix.

Probably won't ever be, since there's still only one user allowed on the Vita.

I wish they allowed more than one user as well, but the PlayStation TV is more or less a redesigned Vita and virtually identical to the JPN release of Vita TV, even many of the technical and hardware specs are identical.

Since the Vita (and Vita TV in JPN) are designed to be used by a single account, it only stands to reason that the same would be true for PlayStation TV in NA/EU regions.

As ggamer15 states, that is most likely not going to change.

I was wondering about Vita games (physical) on cards. I see a memory card slot on the back of the unit but I didn't see a slot for the game card. Is this on the front of the PSTV? Or am I wrong that it only supports downloaded games from the PSN store?

Thanks

The picture in the OP points it out on the side (left side of picture)

The picture in the OP points it out on the side (left side of picture)

Thanks... Yea, I'm a dope.

I kept looking at the picture and looking for the port. Once you said it was on the left side I went back and noticed that it was actually "A" but you can't see the port in the picture, but they say it's on the side away from everything.

Works for me... Thank you for clearing that up.

Q:*Can the PlayStation TV be used for co-op in conjunction with the PS4?

A:*This is currently unknown in full detail, very little information has been released. (As the info is released and confirmed, this will be updated to reflect that)

Im so looking into this. Specially if games support dual screen function.

When you say NA i know that mostly is Usa, Canada and Mexico, but this time will also apply? Will ps tv be available here too?

I have a question about the Playstaion Tv Or vita TV what every name you want to use at this point.The question i have is can we use the vita as a controller for the Playstaion Tv kinda like remote play you remote from your vita to your tv then it's a controller if so then we can play all vita game Dose anyone know this yet or do we got to wait next month.

Edited by Mrgreen55

Im so looking into this. Specially if games support dual screen function.

When you say NA i know that mostly is Usa, Canada and Mexico, but this time will also apply? Will ps tv be available here too?

If other consoles have launched in your area at the same time then I would expect this one too as well, however Sony has nothing specifically stating yes or no either way in regards to Mexico with release information.

I have a question about the Playstaion Tv Or vita TV what every name you want to use at this point.The question i have is can we use the vita as a controller for the Playstaion Tv kinda like remote play you remote from your vita to your tv then it's a controller if so then we can play all vita game Dose anyone know this yet or do we got to wait next month.

Good question, yes it can be used, the OP has been updated with the info. :)

I feel that I am being left out by not getting a Vita...missing out on (P)s on the Vita that I am popping on the PS3...as well as the free Vita games that I am not using on my PS+ account. Now I don't plan to get a Vita...I feel that it is just too small for me to mess with...but...would the PS TV be a good substitution for not getting a Vita?

Thanks.