What is your favorite book?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My most favorite books are generally in my own language, so you wouldn't know. But to name a book most would enjoy, I can say Captain Blood. It is about a pirate and his crew. It was really really enjoyable. I enjoy pirate stories a lot and it is difficult to find a good one. I also welcome suggestions about pirate stories. I've collected some books about pirates to read but they are mostly about history of the pirates, not novels.

I don't read alot of literature, but one book I did enjoy reading was called Extraordinary Evil: A Brief History of Genocide... And Why It Matters, by Barbara Coloroso. If you ever get the chance to read this book I highly advise it.

There's a lot. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, Kafka on the Shore and Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami would be some of my favourites. I honestly read short story compilation as I prefer older literature, and Edgar Allen Poe's The Black Cat and The Tell-Tale Heart would be one of my favourite pieces of literature. Also, I could list dozens of poems I love but we're talking about books here. :p

There's probably plenty more I'm forgetting at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame ("Notre-Dame de Paris" in french).

It's basically the game of thrones of the 19 century (and i mean exactly that). It's quite different from the cartoon. Phebus is actually the biggest douchebag alive, Esmeralda has pea for brains (and his insanely irritating), and Frolo is actually the most relatable character of the book.

Ravage (René Barjavel) - and pretty much all of his novels. This is French SF, and he has a rather unique style.

Edited by The Governor

• 1 month later...

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams. The whole series is hilarious.

I'm also a big fan of "The Silver Linings Playbook" by Matthew Quick. I read it before seeing the movie based on it, and the book is infinitely better than the film. It's easily one of the loosest adaptations I've ever seen.

• 5 weeks later...