Lack of information about this game?

zeze

So having heard nothing about this game until seeing the trophy list I tried researching more about this title. There is almost no information about this game. The Facebook page for this game has not been updated since March.

Anyways I found a forum discussing this game and apparently there is a little controversy regarding this game (I won't link the forum but google "universal skeleton rider" and you should find it).

So to sum up what I found: This was originally a mobile game. It is a physics based racing game. The game was developed by iSquared Games. It was originally released on the Google Play store with a different name. The controversy began because there were claims that it apparently looked very similar to another game called Free Rider HD. The developer of Free Rider got the game removed from the Google Play store due to Skeleton Rider having copyrighted material from Free Rider in it.

Now this last March, Skeleton Rider was released on the App store for $0.99, and the developers of Free Rider still claimed that it had copyrighted elements directly from Free Rider.

Now in May, two free games were uploaded to the Google Play store by ISquared Games (the developer of Skeleton Rider). They are called "Daredevil Stunt Rider - MTB BMX" and "Daredevil Stunt Rider MTB BMX". I have not played these games but judging by the screenshots and the descriptions I believe these two games are exactly the same and are the same game as Skeleton Rider (and presumably the same game that got deleted from the Google Play store originally).

Also when you go onto ISquared website there is no mention of Skeleton Rider or any of the two games that are on the Google Play store which is a little strange. But maybe they just haven't updated their website in a while. The only mention of the game is a message on the developer's facebook page back in March announcing the release of the game on Ipod/Ipad. which was also their last post.

Now I am just posting all the information that I have found. I am not taking any sides on this matter but merely telling you guys what I have found as I take it to be rather interesting considering that we had no news that this was coming out on the Vita before the trophy list popped up.

Edited by zeze

Nice finds there. I did a short search before but only found mention of it on the app store. Just from the screenshot on PSNP it looks like Free Rider though (which I've played an extreme amount of over the years). I was thinking of picking this up just because the list looks easy, but maybe not now. :p I'll wait and see what happens with it.

Nice finds there. I did a short search before but only found mention of it on the app store. Just from the screenshot on PSNP it looks like Free Rider though (which I've played an extreme amount of over the years). I was thinking of picking this up just because the list looks easy, but maybe not now. :p I'll wait and see what happens with it.

It will also be interesting to see how much they charge for the Vita version considering how cheap it is on the App store.

It will also be interesting to see how much they charge for the Vita version considering how cheap it is on the App store.

Yeah exactly. I don't really feel like spending $12 again for an hour long game like a did with Titan Attacks. I'll just go download the free version (or better yet, play Free Rider for free on my computer because of the endless user created levels.)

Yeah exactly. I don't really feel like spending $12 again for an hour long game like a did with Titan Attacks. I'll just go download the free version (or better yet, play Free Rider for free on my computer because of the endless user created levels.)

There is a level editor in this game (I'm not sure if it will be included in the Vita version but I assume so), but I'm not sure if you can share your levels online.

Hey all, glad to see the internet at work. I am one of the developers behind Free Rider HD which is the official continuation to the Free Rider series, I guess our new tagline could be something like "often imitated but never duplicated!".

To give a bit more back story the developer went as far as re-using our track editor icons from Free Rider 3 in an earlier build which was later removed after the app was removed from Google Play. It has since been re-added and re-named a couple of times. The developer continues to use copyrighted Free Rider material in the game as well as just cloning every aspect of Free Rider. It is discouraging and serves as a distraction when developers take actions like this but we hope players will be able to see this and decide what developers they choose to support.

We have launch plans for later this year to hit iOS and then Android app stores, not sure if we will launch to Vita though.

Our online version does currently support playing through a web browser on any device which means you can play on tablets, mobile phones, XBoxOne and of course desktop, etc...

If you are a fan of the Free Rider series you check out the latest iteration of the game here and give us feedback www.FreeRiderHD.com/

If there is enough interest we may be persuaded to bring it to Vita.

And if you have any questions, fire away will do my best to try to answer.

Wow interesting. That the second time in a month we've gotten devs posting on the forum about games. Thanks for the info, think I'll be staying away the game then if there's these scummy practices going on from the other dev.

It would be awesome if you guys were able to release a full fledged vita game, and I would super the hell out of that, but it's understandable if there isn't enough interest or time.

Hey all, glad to see the internet at work. I am one of the developers behind Free Rider HD which is the official continuation to the Free Rider series, I guess our new tagline could be something like "often imitated but never duplicated!".

To give a bit more back story the developer went as far as re-using our track editor icons from Free Rider 3 in an earlier build which was later removed after the app was removed from Google Play. It has since been re-added and re-named a couple of times. The developer continues to use copyrighted Free Rider material in the game as well as just cloning every aspect of Free Rider. It is discouraging and serves as a distraction when developers take actions like this but we hope players will be able to see this and decide what developers they choose to support.

We have launch plans for later this year to hit iOS and then Android app stores, not sure if we will launch to Vita though.

Our online version does currently support playing through a web browser on any device which means you can play on tablets, mobile phones, XBoxOne and of course desktop, etc...

If you are a fan of the Free Rider series you check out the latest iteration of the game here and give us feedback www.FreeRiderHD.com/

If there is enough interest we may be persuaded to bring it to Vita.

And if you have any questions, fire away will do my best to try to answer.

Thanks for coming here and giving us some more information and giving us a clearer understanding of what I posted in the OP. Sucks to hear that your game is being copied and we get that version on the Vita instead of Free Rider.

Edit: Also I changed the OP a tad because of the new information you provided. I hope you don't mind.

Edited by zeze

We are developers that listen to and interact with their players (if you don't believe me, checkout our Free Rider HD Forum)

Wrapping up the online version and then tackling mobile platforms (iOS, Android, Amazon, Windows, etc) are currently top priority. After we get those out we will evaluate other platforms such as Vita.

Not sure why a developer would take the steps he is taking with respect to blatantly copying and using Free Rider assets claiming as his own.

I would buy free riders for the vita but u also got to expect if u make a good game that people like for someone to copy it yes it's not right

There is a huge difference between being inspired and blatantly cloning a game while using assets that are protected by copyrights from that said game claiming them as your own and just playing "dumb".

Some reviews for Skeleton Rider in google play:

"Steve Soper - Desktop version is better but this is very good"

"krystler cataniag - good but you copied the canvas rider... but still good!"

"Brandon Barker - Just like Free Rider 2 Amazing"

The developer behind the game has reviewed the game as well making no attempts to "hide" where his ideas are coming from:

"Igor M - Best Free Rider or Canvas Rider type game on Android! Thanks for the new fantasy world. Some amazing tracks there. Now I'm looking forward to level editor - really want to draw my own tracks like in iRider. Also, please add more levels with girls (half-naked girls to be precise!). Was trying to finish Monster 3 level today for like 2 hours - brings back memories from my Elastomania days. Also, I like that levels are much bigger than in Draw Rider. If you played Free Rider or Canvas Rider on the web then download this game now!"

Those reviews hurt the Free Rider brand as players are confusing that game with Free Rider (aka the only desktop version is Free Rider). iSquared Games is not the same as the current developer behind Free Rider and obviously does not work with the same ethical barometer as they are willing to take assets from the internet and apply them to their game as if they own them. Based on comments with respect to trophy images and past releases on Vita it would also appear they do not match the quality of the developers behind Free Rider either.

There is a level editor in this game (I'm not sure if it will be included in the Vita version but I assume so), but I'm not sure if you can share your levels online.

Hi, I am one of the developers. We are working right now on this feature. It should be added via one of the planned updates.

Now I am just posting all the information that I have found. I am not taking any sides on this matter but merely telling you guys what I have found as I take it to be rather interesting considering that we had no news that this was coming out on the Vita before the trophy list popped up.

Hi, one of developers here.

The android version has been restored on Play Store after we provided evidence to Google that all our content is legally sourced. FreeRiderHD developers are just trolls.

As you can see by reviews on iOS Appstore and Google Play Store people like the game very much and Vita version is even better. And if you take into account planned updates Vita version will be an ultimate version of the game!

Hi, one of developers here.

The android version has been restored on Play Store after we provided evidence to Google that all our content is legally sourced. FreeRiderHD developers are just trolls.

As you can see by reviews on iOS Appstore and Google Play Store people like the game very much and Vita version is even better. And if you take into account planned updates Vita version will be an ultimate version of the game!

The Android version was restored because you replied that you were owners of the content which you are not, quickly switched out Free Rider 3 icons that were in use and continue to use Free Rider community tracks as your own as well as other Free Rider assets. Most developers are educated enough on the seriousness of copyrights to not go down the path that you guys are going down, making that statement that was made.

As players if you ask yourself, how did iSquared Games create over 100 levels of community tracks without any community behind the game so quickly and easily, well here is a hint they stole the majority of them from Free Rider community.

Example:

Screen Cap of level from Skeleton Rider:

http://i.imgur.com/uUMjmqL.png

Direct link to Free Rider community track on Free Rider HD:

Pure Nature by gongo999 | Free Rider HD Track

This is also a track that they continue to use in promotional material. This is just one of many examples as all "good" levels are from Free Rider.

We are anything but trolls, we are extremely frustrated that developers like iSquared Games exist where they for some reason do not feel that the laws of copyrights or intellectual property apply to them.

We have a ton of examples like this and will continue to pursue our legal options as the developer seems to continue to play dumb and not recognize the seriousness of the situation.

Edited by freeriderhd

Skeleton Rider has been created from the ground up by our talented engineers including proprietary physics and graphics engines. Skeleton Rider supports more than million objects in a single level: no other game on mobile can even come close in terms of technical achievement. Skeleton Rider is truly an innovative creation!

All levels in Skeleton Rider are either:

- created exclusively by us

- have been licenced by their respective creators

Skeleton Rider was inspired by two old cool games:

Elastomania

http://www.kwalee.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Elasto_mania.png

and Gravity Defied

http://www.codebrew.se/gdtr/images/modesty1.gif

Both of the games have really nice physics engines, but they don't support high speeds well. For that reason the physics engine in Skeleton Rider is a modified ultra-optimized version of Chipmunk. That allows us to support:

a) fast movement (in most other games bike just starts wobbling)

b) huge levels (we had to tightly couple physics and graphics so that we could store all level's geometry in VBOs Otherwise it would be impossible to draw such large levels.

Graphics in Skeleton Rider has been exclusively created for the game by gifted designers. That's how our editor looks:

http://a5.mzstatic.com/eu/r30/Purple/v4/dc/a0/8a/dca08ad2-156b-c02d-739c-efb76c6b6108/screen568x568.jpeg

It might look similar to some other games but no more than Adobe Illustrator looks similar to Corel Draw. You don't see Adobe guys running like headless chicken and complaining about Corel products. This is just pathetic.

Yes you have posted the same thing in other posts, saying you have permission does not make it so, we know for a fact that you do not have any permission what so ever to use those Free Rider tracks or the custom icons taken from Free Rider 3, but at least now it looks like you are admitting they are Free Rider tracks which is a first since previously it was stated they were built by a 3rd party in some foreign country.

You may also want to sync up with Igor M which is a founder of iSquared Games and based on his Google Play review is well aware of where the inspiration for the game has come from, there are no attempts to hide it like you are doing here.

http://i.imgur.com/OxtJqwh.png

Not sure what you guys are looking to achieve by using Free Rider assets and tracks now that you guys have been made fully aware, but we are dedicated to protecting our IP and are not going to just "let it go".

Edited by freeriderhd

To be fair, the name "Skeleton Rider" itself sounds more like a quick and easy rebranding of someone else's work rather than a legitimate title, especially for a game which, as far as I can tell, has nothing to do with skeletons whatsoever. It doesn't quite inspire confidence

Just to clarify the point visually around the use of Free Rider 3 icons in previous version of Skeleton Rider in case any players are actually believing what the developers behind iSquared Games are saying.

Skeleton Rider using Free Rider 3 icons:

http://i.imgur.com/TP036LX.png

Free Rider 3 icons for comparison:

http://i.imgur.com/tiGvsMX.png

In fact iSquared Games was so sloppy the icons showed up all blurred and not scaled properly as the SVGs used in our game, they must have just screen capped them right off of Free Rider 3.

This should be enough for players to see that we are not trolling and the reasons on why we are here.

Edited by freeriderhd

Just to clarify the point visually ...

This thread is about Skeleton Rider for Vita. Posting pictures unrelated to this game doesn't make any sense.

On a side note: since you enjoy user reviews on the internet, here is what CR community has to say about you (Kano Games):

"Kanogames must die" by 12345ccr

"i hate kano games" by cornelias

Thanks for posting that, I think you are doing a great job showing players the type of developer we are working with at iSquared Games.

Yes Free Rider players were upset with the action of February last year but it was necessary to rejuvenate the Free Rider brand, they have been very happy and feedback has been great on Free Rider HD, in fact a few authors whose tracks are in your game have been very active and helpful with this process.

My references were to show players here that there is and have been intentional confusion caused by copyright infringement by iSquared Games. Anyways, we will let the legal path run its course I think this thread has done enough to educate players on the game and the developer behind it.