Kickbeat - Trophy Guide & Roadmap

ArcyGabriel

http://i.imgur.com/SNxJzSc.png

Credit to Zetberg for the banner

ROADMAP

Overview:

• Estimated trophy difficulty: 8/10 (Personal opinion) 10/10 (Trophy Difficulty Rating)
  • Offline trophies: 15 (9(B), 6(S))
  • Online trophies: 0
  • Approximate amount of time to 100%: 15+ hours (very skill dependent)
  • Minimum number of playthroughs: 3+
  • Number of missable trophies: None
  • Glitched trophies: None
  • Does difficulty affect trophies?: Yes
  • Do trophies stack?: No
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies?: No cheats

INTRODUCTION

Kickbeat is a rhythm based fighting game for the Vita and PS3. It consists of 18 music tracks so it's relatively short in terms of content. But the steep difficulty curve makes for loads of gameplay. This game is very fun and you're able to import your own music and play those tracks for infinite replayability. Be warned though because this game is rather hard, more so if your experience with rhythm games is low. This guide can be used for both the PS3 and the Vita versions. Only difference is that Chi and power-ups controls is :vital:/:vitar: on the vita and :l1:/:r1: on the PS3.

Basically all you need to do to get all the trophies is get really, really good at the game and as such this guide may seem obsolete. However I think that all games should have guides as all trophy hunters on this site will look here first for a quick game overview, at least I can give some tips on how I got some of the harder trophies and put out some general gameplay tips.

WALKTHROUGH

Step 1: Play through Story mode on Hard as Lei.

Hard isn't really that hard and you shouldn't have much trouble as all you need to do is complete every song. Your score and amount of stars gained can be ignored here totally, you are only playing this to unlock Expert difficulty and learning the game.

(B) Lee's Story

Step 2: Play through Story mode on Expert as Mei.

Expert is a whole lot harder than Hard. All healing power-ups are gone so you won’t be able to heal up any damage gotten throughout a song. Again this playthrough you don’t have to worry about anything else than completing all songs. Completing Expert unlocks Master difficulty.

(B) Mei's Story

Step 3: Play through Story mode on Master as any of the two characters getting 5 stars in all tracks.

Now this is where it gets hard. For this difficulty they remove the shiny white circle around your next foe and first part of this playthrough is all about getting used to hitting the right enemy as this makes it much harder to see which one to attack next. Furthermore in the 2 previous difficulties the pattern for incoming enemies was static, now it's random so you won't be able to memorize where all enemies will come from! Thankfully it’s still the same type of enemies for each step. This takes a lot getting used to and first couple of levels will take some time. And now is the time we need to care about our scores. That means all levels in this playthrough needs to be done as minimum 5 Stars. You will know many of these songs by heart when were done here. Refer to True master for gameplay tips on how to score big.

(B) Half a Master

(S) True Master

Step 4: Survive 10 tracks in survival mode.

This is the hardest trophy in the game. In survival mode the amount of damage you take per track is carried over to the next one. The more tracks you complete, the harder the enemy hits as well making your fight for survival harder which each track. This one is going take multiple tries.

(S) Survivor

Step 5: Clean up rest of the trophies.

Maybe you will have a couple of these already. Pure perfection will be the big one here, some of the others are a bit troublesome but nothing compared to pure perfection or survivor. Refer to the Guide for specific tips for each of these trophies:

(B) Ready for More

(B) Quick as Lightning

(B) Master of Missiles

(B) The One

(S) The Legend

(B) One with the Sphere

(S) Pure Perfection

(S) Fists of the White Lotus

(B) I Know Kung Fu

(S) It’s All in the Mind

Congrats! Less than 1% of game owners that have 100% in this. Now enjoy your very hard earned game completion.

Edited by Terminator
Replaced missing banner.

TROPHY GUIDE:

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2127/191.jpg Ready for More(B)

Complete a story track with full health left on any difficulty.

It took a while before I noticed how to check my health, it's the lower/purple side of the Ying/Yang circle you stand in (the upper/grey side is your chi power). The more dmg you take the more the colour in the circle will shrink. Complete an entire track without getting hit or at least not getting hit after healed up to full.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2127/192.jpg Quick As Lightning (B)

Complete the Mercenary Chief without getting hit on Normal or higher difficulty.

You will fight Mercenary chief in the 3rd track of story mode. Marilyn Manson's "The Beautiful People" is one of the easier tracks so don't be too afraid of this one. This has to be done in story mode and this is the only fight where you are up against someone with a health bar. Use Chi to damage Mercenary chief by pressing the :vital: button (:l1: for the PS3).

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2127/193.jpg Master of Missiles (B)

Complete the Helicopter Fight without getting hit on Hard or higher difficulty.

You will do the Helicopter Fight as the 11th track of the Story mode. Thankfully "Rob Zombies – Scum of the Earth" is pretty easy and short and I found the missiles patterns was way more obvious than sidestepping enemies. This time you need to avoid getting hit on Hard or higher difficulty which makes this a bit harder than the Mercenary Chief fight but no attack with chi shenanigans here so you can Focus full on countering all attacks.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2127/194.jpg The One (B)

Complete the final battle without getting hit on Expert or Master difficulty.

For the final battle all orbs are replaced by spikes. Every time you miss a spike you will get damage so you need to double tap on all spike-tentacles. This as well as the increased difficulty (now on Expert or higher) makes this so much harder than the 2 previous no-hit trophies. Yet again this is thankfully done on a pretty forgiving track so all it takes is a good amount of practice.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2127/195.jpg Lee's Story (B)

Complete Lee's Story on any difficulty.

Self Explanatory, just complete all 18 tracks in story mode on any difficulty as Lee. Getting this will unlock Mei as a playable character

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2127/196.jpg Mei's Story (B)

Complete Mei's Story on any difficulty.

After completing Lee's story, Mei will be unlocked as a playable Character. Just beat all 18 songs in story mode on any difficulty as Mei to get this trophy.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2127/197.jpg Half a Master (B)

Complete 9 tracks with 5 stars on Master difficulty.

Refer to True Master for more details.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2127/198.jpg True Master (S)

Complete all tracks with 5 stars on Master difficulty.

This will most likely be the time you start to get good at the game and replaying songs again and again to boost your score high enough for getting 5 stars and gradually improving your skill and reaction. The amount of stars you get is based only on the amount of points you will rack up in a track. I made a list of tips to get high scores:

Keep your combo going:

• Don't button mash. Attacking into thin air resets your combo meter
  • Double tap all the orbs. On master difficulty, missing an orb resets your combo meter
  • Don't get hit. Obviously getting hit reset you’re combo meter as well.
  • It’s not like you need to full combo a track to get 5 stars. Not by a long shot but you want try to keep your combo going as long as you can as 30+ enemies gives the highest multiplier bonus of "4x". Resetting the meter too often means less points per enemy for a given amount of time.

Smart usage of Chi power:

• Your Chi meter increased periodically, and the more points you get the faster it fill. Meaning getting "perfect" hits rather than "great" or "good" gives more Chi for the same amount of enemies. You can get a good chunk of Chi for double tapping the Chi orb (the Ying/Yang power-up). The way it works is that your Chi power is only usable from around 40% meter power and upwards. The fuller the meter is the longer it last. You can’t get chi when your meter is full.
  • Chi effectively doubles you’re multiplier while active. This is obviously best for when you already have a high multiplier. It's even possible to get to a 10x multiplier if you have the 30+ enemies multiplier + the X orb which raised multiplier by 1 and then use your Chi power.
  • Try to only use Chi when either your meter is full or you already got a high multiplier. Spamming it as soon as you see it is better than not using it at all but the net gain is pretty low compared to a more controlled usage. Of course this takes a lot getting used to as you are already busy fighting of enemies non-stop, A good tip is figuring out when to best use it in a song and then "implement" it in the rhythm so it feels like a natural beat-button-push so you don’t risk your combo using your Chi.

Perfect section:

This is combined with the 2 previous tips is the nuts in scoring big in this game. All tracks is divided into sections. Around 5 or so per track. If you manage to not get hit in the given section you will get a perfect section bonus. I'm not entirely sure how it is calculated but I think it's a percentage of your total score in the given section as getting more perfect hits gives higher bonuses and the crazy thing is, that the section bonus is affected by your multiplier. This means finishing a section with your full 30+ enemies 4x multiplier + Chi power activated gives massive score bonuses.

Ignore shockwave and shield power-ups.

Shockwave kills enemies but you miss all orbs and get no points for enemies killed this way, we can't afford to skip any possible points. It's the same with shield power-up. You will be immune to damage for a short while but if you stop countering attacks while shielded you will lose your combo.

Edited by Terminator
Editorial Sweep.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2127/199.jpg The Legend (S)

Counter the incoming attack of 50000 enemies.

This will come naturally. 50000 enemies is quite a lot though and will probably require at least 10-12 hours of playing, I got this when trying for Survivor.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2127/910.jpg One With The Sphere (B)

Complete 15 different tracks of your own in Custom mode.

You can import your own songs using the "Play your own music" mode. Songs need to be at least a minute long and if it’s longer than 6 minutes it will get cut at 6 minutes. There have been reports of people having huge load times on certain file types. I used mp3 and my custom load times were shorter than the real game tracks actually! Complete 15 different tracks on any difficulty to unlock the trophy.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2127/911.jpg Survivor (S)

Survive 10 tracks in a row in Survival.

In Survival mode you will play through as many tracks as you can before your health is totally depleted. All damage received in each track will carry over to the next one leaving you with less and less health. Furthermore the more tracks you have completed, the harder enemies will hit (not that much harder though) I found that on first waves 1 enemy took away 4% health and around track 7-8 1 enemy would take away 6% health. This is multiplied by number of enemies that hit. Meaning a red-type enemy consisting of 3 on track 7 would take away 18% health. Ouch. Remember only getting hit takes away life here. I recommend ignoring double tapping orbs and using Chi here totally, we don’t care about score here. Just focus on countering every enemy. On the other hand don’t be too shabby with the 2 defensive power-ups. They can be life savers if you somehow get confused in 2 incoming consecutive 3-redman attacks which can be some of the hardest to anticipate in my opinion.

When starting survival mode you will only see the current+next track. I tended to restart until I either had a hard first track+easy second track (I wouldn't waste much time if it didn't went well on my first track and having 1 hard track out of the way minimized the chances of running into it as a later track which hurt more) or 2 easy tracks. Other than that there's not much to say here except practice and practice, especially the tracks you have trouble with.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2259/0eb.jpg Pure Perfection (S)

Complete a story track with only perfect hits on Master difficulty.

The best track for doing this is Takedown by Blue Stahli in my opinion. It's relatively short and pretty much all enemies attack in a linear rhythm. Again for this I recommend totally ignoring chi or orbs. Just focus on getting those perfect hits, everything else doesn’t matter. This will take countless tries and more than likely many hours but if you just keep playing eventually you will get them all! Don't be afraid to take breaks now and then or even just try another day if you get into a period where you get too frustrated missing the same guy again and again or something like that. This is the kind of trophy that can cause lots of rage.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2259/97e.jpg Fists of the White Lotus (S)

Complete a playlist of at least 10 tracks in Freeplay on Master difficulty without being defeated.

This is Survivor Ultra-Light. Go into Free-play mode and create a playlist of 10 tracks. Set the difficulty to Master and complete them all without getting defeated at all. Unlike in Survival you will get healed up after each track. Like in Survivor I recommend ignoring Chi usage and ignoring double tapping for orbs unless they are defensive power-ups (shield/shockwave). Scoring doesn't matter what so ever, you just need to complete all tracks without being defeated

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2127/914.jpg I Know Kung Fu (B)

Reach a combo chain of 100 on Expert or Master difficulty.

The description says it all i.e get to a combo of 100. Beware though that not double-tapping orbs or push/release yellow enemies breaks the combo. I suggest doing this on Expert for the helpful glow for next incoming enemy and your favourite track as well.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/2127/915.jpg It's All In The Mind (S)

Reach a combo chain of 500 on Expert or Master difficulty.

The only track in the game with more than 500 enemies is Propane Nightmares by Pendulum. Load it up on Expert for the helpful white glow and score a full combo or close to full as there's not that many more than 500 enemies in this track.

Edited by Terminator
Editorial Sweep.

*Guide Stuck*

Congratulations :).

Don't forget to post in the guide updates thread here: Updates Needed on a Main Site Trophy Guide or Roadmap? Let us know here. if you ever make any updates to your guide :). Also, the Guide Template Generator will aid you with your future Guides: The Ultimate BBCode Trophy Guide Template

• 1 year later...

Nice guide. You're right, this game definitely requires patience. And learning the patterns of each type of enemy. I'm having a hard time getting the rhythm of the track to match the combat. The combat doesn't seem to remain very strict in regards to the beat, which is kind of annoying. It also doesn't help when the colors on the screen switch up a lot and make it hard to figure out what color enemy is attacking next. And when the enemies get all bunched together when there preparing to attack it gets confusing who will be next.

It's a tough game, but I enjoyed the few levels I played. Though I cannot imagine playing through Master difficulties without getting hit, considering the best I've done on Hard so far is 3-stars...

I have an issue, hopefully someone can help. When I go into settings, my 'Clean HUD' setting is always set to ON. That means I have to play without button indicators. I tried setting it to OFF, but it always gets reset back to ON when I start playing the song. Changing it to OFF during the song also has no effect.

Tried deleting save data, and the game itself (redownloaded fresh copy, after restarting PS4). Same problem. I just can't get 'Clean HUD' OFF setting to stick.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Here's a video capture demonstrating the issue:

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by Eternal21

I have an issue, hopefully someone can help. When I go into settings, my 'Clean HUD' setting is always set to ON. That means I have to play without button indicators. I tried setting it to OFF, but it always gets reset back to ON when I start playing the song. Changing it to OFF during the song also has no effect.

In the video, the clean hud is off. Clean hud is showing grades "perfect", "great", "good" and "miss". It also shows if you have power ups. "Off" means to show and "on" means to hide. The button indicators are only visible on normal and can't be turned on in hard or higher.

In the video, the clean hud is off. Clean hud is showing grades "perfect", "great", "good" and "miss". It also shows if you have power ups. "Off" means to show and "on" means to hide. The button indicators are only visible on normal and can't be turned on in hard or higher.

That's what I figured at first, but then I saw this video. The guy has Button Indicators on Master level. Is it only on PS4 that you can't get buttons on higher difficulties?:

[ame]

[/ame]

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, I don't see any other reason, which means that get the 100% on ps3/ps4 is much harder.

I've since gotten 100%, but in the end this bug doesn't really matter, as ultimately it's the 18 song Survivor run that is the most difficult trophy, and I'm pretty sure you can't enable button helpers in that one in other versions as well. I still don't understand why they decided to change the number of required songs from 10 to 18 - it made the trophy virtually impossible to obtain.

• 1 year later...