I quite enjoyed the FF XIII trilogy

I agree. People complained that the FF13 games were too "linear", that there's not enough towns, that the game plays itself, well LR is the complete opposite to all that and yet people still complain. Go figure.

FFXIII = "UGH SQUARE ENIX THE GAME IS TOO LINEAR"

FFXIII-2 = "It fixed all of FFXIII's problems? UGH WHY ARE THEY MAKING A SEQUEL THEY'RE JUST MILKING IT"

LR: FFXIII = "Open-ended gameplay and a great battle system? NOPE NOT GONNA HEAR IT FF IS DEAD R.I.P."

All the while, the open-minded fans gave each one a fair try and then made judgement.

And that's the story of the FFXIII trilogy. :p

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahah pretty much. Well for me, I've just finished all 5 main quests and I'm now working on the side quests.

IT'S AWESOME! It's amazing. I've never played anything like it. I'm in love *-* For the few flaws it has it has a ton of things to make up for it! Some people might not like the time limit system but I personally don't mind. After all, Majora's Mask was my favorite Zelda game :)

I agree. People complained that the FF13 games were too "linear", that there's not enough towns, that the game plays itself, well LR is the complete opposite to all that and yet people still complain. Go figure.

Probably because that's just basic JRPG 101 and the game still sucks compared to Square-Enix greats like Chrono Trigger? Just a guess.

Hmm my opinions on the three.

Each one has its own story and gameplay mechanics so i try not to compare the three

Final fantasy XIII: Great Story. They couldve ended it here and everything wouldve been fine story wise. The whole linear complaint i kinda get but tbh i think its dumb. Once you get to gran pulse you have the freedom to do whaaaatever you want. Yes, they couldve made it more open. but is the whole first half of pure linearity so devastating that the game is unbearable? Gameplay was the most basic but my complain would be that you cant grind early on. your capped at different points which feels stupid imo.

XIII-2: Had my favorite story of the three all the way up to the end when they slap you in the face and say theres pretty much going to be a third. Gameplay was fun but i felt like monsters were pretty useless unless you grind a stronger one(grinding is what kept me from platinuming the first)

Lightning Returns: The story of this game is just. Ugh. If the gameplay wasnt so addicting, its prob the best of the three, i prob wouldve returned this and pretended it didnt exist. But the game is very addicting.

The Trilogy as a whole was great, but had its ups and downs story wise.

Why the @#$% is the third not a holographic case like the first two? whats wrong with you square enix?

• 2 months later...
FFXIII = "UGH SQUARE ENIX THE GAME IS TOO LINEAR"

FFXIII-2 = "It fixed all of FFXIII's problems? UGH WHY ARE THEY MAKING A SEQUEL THEY'RE JUST MILKING IT"

LR: FFXIII = "Open-ended gameplay and a great battle system? NOPE NOT GONNA HEAR IT FF IS DEAD R.I.P."

All the while, the open-minded fans gave each one a fair try and then made judgement.

And that's the story of the FFXIII trilogy. :p

I thought XIII had one of the most complete endings of the numbered games. It was pretty low on the list of numbered games needing a sequel much less two. I liked the steps forward XIII-2 took and I wish LR was more like that. Still doesn't change my belief that they were unnecessary. Odds are, a lot of criticism of XIII-2 and LR stems from that.

I'm happy I played through the trilogy (platting two of them), but I'm glad it's done. I do think XIII will become more appreciated as time goes on. I hope SE learned a lot throughout the Lightning Saga. My expectation are higher than they probably should be for FFXV :p

• 1 month later...

Hm ... my thoughts so far ...

XIII: Honestly, I thought everything was garbage about it other than the - in theory - great combat system, which ended up being underused due to how easy the game was for the most part. The basic story idea was good, too, being the chosen ones, so to speak, for divine powers, but being screwed either way, if you succeed and if you fail, but thought it implementation was weak. Still love the final boss' design, both pretty and creepy.

XIII-2: I don't even remember much about it. It was fun, mostly, though. Could've lived wirhout the return of random encounters, though. And I actually disliked the recruiting of monsters instead of a third party member. As more indirect additional support, it would've been better.

LRXIII: I like the combat and the schemata concept with all its details a lot, also the open world approach with lots of sidequests, but the rest is rather annoying. Lightning is so boring and Hope so annoying. Does he ever shut up? People say the time limit's no issue, but it irritates me so much. Not well implemented, imho. Overall story, well, I'm not finished yet and can't really judge much, but it's something different for a change, so it has a plus from me for then idea. Even though saving someone's soul by finding their lost dog ect. is kind of silly.

So, yeah, overall opinion about the trilogy: mechanically mostly good ideas and fun with a few things that didn't turn out too well; contentwise mostly forgettable and uninteresting with few exceptions.

• 1 year later...

I really liked XIII. I felt that the pacing and story were great, even though the lack of a real villain hurt the game a bit. (Angry Pope hardly registered as an antagonist, and the whole God Complex of the game wasn't a bit hard to follow.)

XIII-2 wasn't as good, story-wise, but I am no fan of time travel plots, so that is to be expected. It was fun, though, and I liked the combat.

I am not far enough into LR to make a fair judgement, but based on first impressions, I really dislike this one. As I've complained elsewhere in this board, the pressure to complete everything on time is too much. This game messes with my anxiety issues, haha. But I'm ready to give this one more chance. I mean, I have platinums in the other two. I can't just leave this hanging, can I?!

Overall, the first one stands strongest as a standalone title, with each subsequent game bringing the whole down a little more, in my opinion.

The first XIII had a very weak story.

The second one had a little better story, but still relies to much on a legendarium to fill in the gaps. The same with the third.

You can play the first game, with no inclination of thinking there is any need to expand the story. Especially since in order to make the squeals, they had to scrub the ending of the first game.

So, yeah, there is that.

XIII's combat is not my favorite, by far. Fortunately, I found LR to have a more fun combat since you only have to worry about Lightning. Even that one, series wise, is low on the list of favorite combat.

I did really like the music. Village and Void, Dust to Dust, Archelyte Step, Caius Theme, Snows Theme, The Warpath Home, Saber's Edge, etc. etc,

I do not like fighting Adamantoise over and over again. That was bullshit.

I did feel pretty good when I beat Vercingetorix, though.

I got all 3 (P) and moved on. I do not plan to play any of them again.

Edited by shrapx