Seriously an awful game!

scuppanet

This was posted by someone on YouTube a few weeks back but they're right on the money...

Let's go through why Jak 2 is the worst game... Shitty controls, bad AI, legendary difficulty, no checkpoints, very strained time limits, pointless missions, very limited health and ammo recoveries, horrible map layout, no mini map on certain missions, everything hurting you 2 or more out of a possible 8 pieces of health, no demonstration of most missions, too many enemies, and doing so much to get so little back. This game belongs in some fat guy's sweaty ass crack!

I couldn't have put it better myself. Please God let Jak 3 be a millions times better.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here, clunky controls and a lame storyline kept me from enjoying it. Like the guy stated above I was expecting something more along the lines of R&C. Some people swear by this series though, they love it.

I don't even understand how they could like this shit. I refused to even finish the first.

I understand the hate for the 2nd one, but haven't played it myself. But Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is one of the best games that I played on the PlayStation 2. I haven't had a chance to play the third one yet though. What don't you guys like about the series?

Lmao. I'm on the wrong forums to be praising these games since I'm the only one who likes them here. I personally think these games aren't hard enough. I've finished all three multiple times over from the PS2->PS3->PS Vita. Naughty Dog likes to challenge it's players. It's the nature of a platformer. Think back to Crash Bandicoot and how the level design is quite similar (Checkpoints included). In developing Jak, they stayed true to their roots and you can't ask for more from a developer so strongly rooted in PlayStation's history. I've noticed a lot of modern gamers find these games impossible to play. Truly tragic.

Started playing this yesterday after finishing Jak 1 last month (which i really enjoyed), though this game is seriously some damn piece of monkey ****. I couldn't describe the game better than the Topic-creator did, it fits the game to 100%.

To be honest, now I am kind of afraid starting Jak 3 after I finished with this awful game, which is kind of sad. They must have played to much GTA:Vice City while developing this game... the issue with those checkpoints is most annoying though.

Edited by I Cloud Strife

• 2 weeks later...

After reading these threads and finding first one mediocre, i started this one with very low expectations. However, when this worked it was much better than the first one, however when it didn't, it was one of the most rage inducing games i've platted.

Vita port is tons more frustrating than PS3 one. If you are going to plat both, start with the PS3 one so you know what you should be doing when going through the same things with Vita. That way you will know if you are doing something wrong or if the game is just broken again.

Vita version has it all, sloppy framerate most of the time, glitches that will make you die and fall back to that previous checkpoint, more camera issues than the PS3 version, list goes on.

For example, on the second boss fight where you have to kick some bombs back to the enemy, around third of the bombs that had right trajectory just went through the boss without causing any damage. Especially hover board sections have loads of issues, automatic change of direction in corners might work or not, completely random and will make you fall to death fair few times.

Backpanel controls do not work well enough to switch hover height on vehicles consistently, which isn't a big deal but annoying. However, same button is used for getting on/off hoverboard. Had few deaths on parts where you have to land the hoverboard on some small platform and then get off. Mashing the upper edge was the only way i could get it register even somewhat consistently. Still, even if i touched the exact same spot later when i needed to get off the board or change hover height again, the chance of it working was 50/50.

I found the game better than the first one most of the time but this is seriously one of those games where you might just break your controller if you have tendency to punish it when frustrated. Checkpoints aren't that far apart, but usually the hard stuff is farthest from last checkpoint, meaning that when you die you will have to do all the easy, boring stuff up to that point again.

This wouldn't be such a big problem, but i'd say on PS3 version around third of deaths were caused by a glitch, controls not registering properly or camera issues. On Vita it was closer to half, there were few parts where i died 5+ times on the same spot doing exactly the same thing that worked on PS3. Especially moving stuff where you have to hang on or jump off from tends to be glitchy as hell.

Jak II is incredibly frustrating, and I've platted this game on PS3 and Vita. Hardly any checkpoints, difficult, and losing ammo when you respawn make for a tough experience.

However, I'm well aware that this game was released in 2003. I didn't think the first game was much of an easy ride either. Has anyone played GTA III or Vice City lately? Those can be frustrating at times as well thanks to there being no checkpoints during missions.

I've spoken to only one person who played these games when they originally came out and he always regarded Jak II as the best one. It certainly has a better story and dialogue, but I'd like to hear from anyone hear what they thought of Jak II at the time it was released.

• 3 weeks later...
This was posted by someone on YouTube a few weeks back but they're right on the money...

Let's go through why Jak 2 is the worst game... Shitty controls, bad AI, legendary difficulty, no checkpoints, very strained time limits, pointless missions, very limited health and ammo recoveries, horrible map layout, no mini map on certain missions, everything hurting you 2 or more out of a possible 8 pieces of health, no demonstration of most missions, too many enemies, and doing so much to get so little back. This game belongs in some fat guy's sweaty ass crack!

I couldn't have put it better myself. Please God let Jak 3 be a millions times better.

sounds like someone who is butthurt because they only play games that literally sit there and hand everything to you in the easiest possible ways

Jak II is incredibly frustrating, and I've platted this game on PS3 and Vita. Hardly any checkpoints, difficult, and losing ammo when you respawn make for a tough experience.

However, I'm well aware that this game was released in 2003. I didn't think the first game was much of an easy ride either. Has anyone played GTA III or Vice City lately? Those can be frustrating at times as well thanks to there being no checkpoints during missions.

I've spoken to only one person who played these games when they originally came out and he always regarded Jak II as the best one. It certainly has a better story and dialogue, but I'd like to hear from anyone hear what they thought of Jak II at the time it was released.

you must really suck at games then

jak 1 was one of the easiest games ive ever played through

and yeah 2 is challenging at points, but thats what makes it so much more rewarding for completing it, the limited checkpoints adds to the challenge

so go back to games im sure you love and worship like black ops or barbies horse adventure and leave amazing games like this to people who have an appreciation for them

sounds like someone who is butthurt because they only play games that literally sit there and hand everything to you in the easiest possible ways

Sounds like someone who is butthurt because they don't understand that other people may have different opinions about games they like

you must really suck at games then

jak 1 was one of the easiest games ive ever played through

and yeah 2 is challenging at points, but thats what makes it so much more rewarding for completing it, the limited checkpoints adds to the challenge

so go back to games im sure you love and worship like black ops or barbies horse adventure and leave amazing games like this to people who have an appreciation for them

Amazing games? Quite far fetched. Far from amazing by todays standard, still ok though.

It's not so much the difficulty, but the frustration factor. If i had to rate difficulty and frustration factor, this would receive 3 or 4/10 for difficulty and at least the Vita version would receive 8/10 in terms of frustration. Trial and error gameplay, poor controls and sloppy framerate in Vita version and spaced checkpoints don't match that well.

There are far more difficult games to complete that are much less frustrating, like Wipeout HD or Gran Turismo 5. The frustration factor comes from the randomness of deaths - if i messed up in zone 70 while going for Zone zeus in Wipeout HD, it was my fault. If i get hit here from an angle that the game thought wasn't important enough to show, that is not my fault. If the double jump doesn't register properly and i fall to death, it wasn't my fault either.

• 2 weeks later...

I cant be the only that thinks even jak 1 had better controls than jak 2, can I?

Jak 2 has horrible checkpoints and losing all your ammo when dying is really stupid. The only thing getting me through this game is the great story line.. Other than that.... I would've dropped this game long ago!!!!

Not to mention horrible camera angles...

This game is awful. No checkpoints and some ridiculously random missions aside, 80% of this game is simply driving around the map from one point to another mission. I'd understand that if it were enjoyable, but it isn't. It's either drive high and hit every car on your way or drive low and hit those red faggots that will start shooting you soon. Horrible attempt at making an open world. I've rage quit about a hundred of times already on some missions already, but still my major problem with the game lies in wasting time driving from one point to another. Made me even skip the cutscenes so I don't follow the story at all anymore, just going from one point to another, doing whatever it's required of me and moving on.

• 2 months later...

No it really isn't. I love difficult games and I've platted many of them. (check my trophies) And I would agree with everything he said. This turd of a game is difficult in all of the worst ways and for the worst reasons. Mostly terrible controls and cheap enemy damages/deaths.

I have only played the Vita version but based on the very wide variance in difficulty ratings in the rating thread my theory is that the Vita version is much much worse than the PS3 version. Would you agree with this having played both or are people just having very different experiences with this game?

I despised the first one. Wary about trying the next 2 now.

If you despised the first one do yourself a huge favor and DO NOT play Jak II. (Haven't played 3 yet and am not going to because of this trainwreck.)

Edited by Xander45
please use the multi-quote function instead of double posting

I have only played the Vita version but based on the very wide variance in difficulty ratings in the rating thread my theory is that the Vita version is much much worse than the PS3 version. Would you agree with this having played both or are people just having very different experiences with this game?

From what I've heard is that the vita port is very poorly done. Many bugs with it that weren't in the original game. I still have my original PS2 disk for the original game, and have played through it probably 4 to 5 times and I never encountered any of the issues that seem to pop up in the PS3 and vita ports. Only ever remember having issues with the difficulty with one mission about halfway through and the stupid hoverboard arena challenges which are garbage. I have the PS3 collection which I still need to finish 2 and 3 on, but am not going to bother with the vita version due to the issues with the game.

Also, use multiquote and you realize you're replying to 4 month old posts right? ;)

From what I've heard is that the vita port is very poorly done. Many bugs with it that weren't in the original game. I still have my original PS2 disk for the original game, and have played through it probably 4 to 5 times and I never encountered any of the issues that seem to pop up in the PS3 and vita ports. Only ever remember having issues with the difficulty with one mission about halfway through and the stupid hoverboard arena challenges which are garbage. I have the PS3 collection which I still need to finish 2 and 3 on, but am not going to bother with the vita version due to the issues with the game.

Also, use multiquote and you realize you're replying to 4 month old posts right? ;)

Ah yes sorry I forgot about multiquote. And yes I do but I haven't read them til' now so they're new to me. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Jak I was the best and Jak III was playable, but this one is just utter garbage. I have never been more frustrated when playing a game, I just shouted when I constantly kept dying doing one of the many, many impossible missions. Very long missions with no checkpoints, how many of their game testers really played this through? At least it feels good when you finally complete a mission after trying it over 100 times.

After getting platinum I instantly deleted this masterpiece, so I can never ever play it again.

I thought the game was pretty easy, that and Jak 3. I for one played it on the ps2 countless times so i knew what i was supposed to do and how i was supposed to do it.

But don't worry, i can see why you guys hate it so much, it is a hard game and you get nothing from it, the checkpoints are unfair, 100% agree with that, but i barely died when i played it again after years.

I guess i got used to the controls and stuff, it's one of those games you need practice & it's my favorite in the Jak franchise. I'll never forget the struggle i went to get my ps2 copy, i got Jak 3 1st but i never found Jak 2 on any store, grr... bad times.