HDD Replacement Thread

Metdevil

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a heads up to those in Canada (not sure of any US deal on ATM like this - sorry), Amazon is having a huge sale right now on internal HDDs!

You can view the full list here:

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/gp/search/ref=pe_315100_39430550_pe_row1_b4/?rh=i%3Aelectronics%2Cn%3A667823011%2Cn%3A%21677211011%2Cn%3A2404990011%2Cn%3A7204527011%2Cp_8%3A2614521011%2Cn%3A2409509011&bbn=7204527011&ie=UTF8]Amazon.ca: 50% Off or More - Internal Hard Drives / Data Storage: Electronics[/ame]

The two that I'm looking at now are:

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digital-2-5-Inch-Mobile-WD10JPVT/dp/B005DVJJWQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1383328897&sr=1-8]Western Digital 1 TB 2.5-Inch 5400 RPM SATA II 8 MB Cache Mobile Hard Drive WD10JPVT (Blue) - Amazon.ca[/ame]

AND

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Amazon-Only-Blue-Sata-2-5in/dp/B00DCM91WQ/ref=sr_1_18?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1383328897&sr=1-18]Amazon Only Oem 1tb Blue Sata 5400 Rpm 16mb 2.5in 6gb/S - Amazon.ca[/ame]

I'm thinking I'll get the first one I linked for my PS4. It's a REALLY great deal!

EDIT: Just ordered this one: [ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digital-2-5-Inch-Mobile-WD10JPVT/dp/B005DVJJWQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1383328897&sr=1-8]Western Digital 1 TB 2.5-Inch 5400 RPM SATA II 8 MB Cache Mobile Hard Drive WD10JPVT (Blue) - Amazon.ca[/ame]

Edited by Noid

^ The PS4 supports up to 1.5TB HDD's - just so you know.

In the FAQ they posted I only saw a minimum size (I think it was 160gb?). Is 1.5tb a hard cap, or is that just the max size that we've seen in the physical size allowed in the bay?

The reason I ask is that I was also considering getting a sata cable and having a harddrive hooked up via the cable and kept outside of the drive bay. This would allow for any size of HDD if it's possible (I'll need to get my hands on the PS4 to be sure).

In the FAQ they posted I only saw a minimum size (I think it was 160gb?). Is 1.5tb a hard cap, or is that just the max size that we've seen in the physical size allowed in the bay?

The reason I ask is that I was also considering getting a sata cable and having a harddrive hooked up via the cable and kept outside of the drive bay. This would allow for any size of HDD if it's possible (I'll need to get my hands on the PS4 to be sure).

No, it's just a limit due to the drive being 2.5 inch, the only 2Tb 2.5 drive around it 15mm thick so way to thick to fit. Which is a reason why I wish they had gone for a bigger form factor and went with 3.5 drives as there cheaper and technology is moving fast with them you can now get 4Tb drive and I'm sure I read somewhere that either Segate or WD are working on a 6Tb drive.

This is honestly the most stressful part of the PS4 launch... Figuring out what HD I want to plunk inside of it from day one!

I'm going to go with the Seagate 1TB SSHD, apparently it's a favourite at the moment online for the PS4. The added speed will be helpful with the games stored on the HDD being so large.

I'm going to wait until after the USA release before I get it though to make sure that there are no hiccups.

I already know that the hard drive is upgradable, but I was wondering, Does anyone know if you will have to load up the PS4 firmware on a flash drive and install the Operating system onto the new hard drive (similar to what you had to do on the PS3) I Plan on buying a 2 TB drive (on black Friday) and putting that bad boy in. With the release of free to play games and all of the PlayStation plus free games, I am sure that this 2 TB drive will fill up fast.

I've been thinking about that too, i got in mind a 1TB 7200rpm 16mb cache, but i'm going to wait a bit, i'm planning on going full digital but i'm planning not to play over 3 games at a time and all of the games the i purchase through the store will always be available for download, so yeah, i'm going to see how much space you really get with the 500gb on the PS4

I'm planing to buy this for my PS4.

Seagate Solid State Hybrid ST1000LM014 1TB Laptop Hard Drive - Newegg.com

Is it worth it?

Also, can I take my 500Gb (from the PS4) to use in my PS3 (I only have a 160gb and it's full.

that's an awesome HDD, i got the 500gb on my PS3, i'm sure you are aware the is a hybrid and not a SSD, and yes it'll be just fine to transfer you PS4's hdd to your PS3

that's an awesome HDD, i got the 500gb on my PS3, i'm sure you are aware the is a hybrid and not a SSD, and yes it'll be just fine to transfer you PS4's hdd to your PS3

Yeah, I know it's not a real SSD. But, it's a lot cheaper.

Is it faster than the standard PS3/4 drive?

Edited by pecorre

I personally am very pleased with my upgrade. I installed a 1TB into my PS3 and couldn't be happier! I have over 70 games installed on the hdd and another 70 game data slots. The process to transfer and redownload was a bit tedious but the end result is endless storage.

bluntboyED PSN

i never switched hdd on my ps3 so i really dont know much about this :) But the OS is on the system (ps4) from the get go right? I can just put in my new disc and the system will install everything automatically? or do i have to do a backup prior to that?

Edited by Sarnath

Apparently the hard drive I posted above currently cannot be purchased. Looks like 1.5 TB is going to be the maximum capacity for almost all ps4's. With that said the number of disc based games will max out at 30. So much for not having to go through your games and deciding what to keep and what not to keep. =/

Yeah, I know it's not a real SSD. But, it's a lot cheaper.

Is it faster than the standard PS3/4 drive?

it is, but not by much, don't expect immediate load times but is a good, fast, reliable drive.

Is there a way to do a full system back on the Ps3 with an external hard drive and restore the date on a new HDD?

that's a negative, there's a backup utility but is stored in the PS3's HDD, there's also a transfer data utility but as soon as all your data has been transferred to your new PS3 it will be deleted from the original

i never switched hdd on my ps3 so i really dont know much about this :) But the OS is on the system (ps4) from the get go right? I can just put in my new disc and the system will install everything automatically? or do i have to do a backup prior to that?

This is something I'm curious about. I was hoping to put in the new drive before even booting up my PS4 for the first time, but things are never that simple, are they? Are they?

This is something I'm curious about. I was hoping to put in the new drive before even booting up my PS4 for the first time, but things are never that simple, are they? Are they?

there should be an OS backup outside the HDD, when you install a new one it will format it and do what it needs to do on its own, although i highly recommend connecting you PS4 and let it update to v1.50

This is honestly the most stressful part of the PS4 launch... Figuring out what HD I want to plunk inside of it from day one!

I bought this for my PS4

Newegg.com - Hitachi GST Travelstar 0S03563 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive

$69.99 from $89.99

This is still onsale I got 20 bucks off. ends 11/10

Edited by NoctisFFVs13