Anime/Manga Recommendations & Suggestions

Bounty V

I too have been watching H.O.T.D lately, and I'm also looking for something similar to watch next. In my findings three animes keep popping up...

.Elfen Lied

.Deadman Wonderland

.Shikabane Hime

Well, personally, I didn't really enjoy Elfen Lied. The story is really weak... Then again, I haven't seen HOTD so I can't compare them and say whether someone who liked HOTD willlike it. But it's just 13 episodes long so it's not that much of a pain to sit through it and tell for yourself.:)

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without meaning any offense, I'm curious how many anime you've seen. NGE was probably one of my first 30 anime, and maybe it's just me but I wasn't too much of a fan. Before I'd seen that anime, most of my anime was from 2004 and later, so seeing a show from the 90s was very different - maybe that generation of anime just isn't for me.

Actually, I probably havent watched as much anime as others in this thread. Ive just seen a few shows. Ive heard different people say how that they either loved or hated NGE, but I loved it. Maybe I just like older animes. Another one I like is Paranoia Agent, thats an anime from like the mid 2000s.

Actually, I probably havent watched as much anime as others in this thread. Ive just seen a few shows. Ive heard different people say how that they either loved or hated NGE, but I loved it. Maybe I just like older animes. Another one I like is Paranoia Agent, thats an anime from like the mid 2000s.

Ah okay cool. I know that when I saw them at the time the first few anime I saw were amazing, but if I were to rewatch them I'd probably find some of them mediocre :whistle:

Hey,

Since i finished Angel Beat i m looking for another anime.

I wish to watch something similar to AOT or Claymore or SAO or even Angel Beat.I want to watch anime that can make me laugh but also cry

I would give Gantz a chance, the manga is vastly superior to the anime though. Like AOT it is humanity fighting monsters, striving for their survival. And like AOT the protagonist is pure badass.

And don't really get the Fortune recommendation, not cause I think it's very average, well even poor. But just cause it doesn't fall in the categories that you asked. I don't remember anything sad about Fortune, nor is it an action monster packed series.

If you want sad, Leokiko pretty much suggested the best one. Latter half of After Story are the saddest episodes you can find.

A good second (my favorite actually) is Kanon 2006, 24 episodes series of the same studio as Angel Beats and Clannad. It has 5 girls, and every girl's arc is just heartbreaking.

Another great one but short one is EF: A Tale of Memories. It's a very touching romance series.

I would give Gantz a chance, the manga is vastly superior to the anime though. Like AOT it is humanity fighting monsters, striving for their survival. And like AOT the protagonist is pure badass.

And don't really get the Fortune recommendation, not cause I think it's very average, well even poor. But just cause it doesn't fall in the categories that you asked. I don't remember anything sad about Fortune, nor is it an action monster packed series.

If you want sad, Leokiko pretty much suggested the best one. Latter half of After Story are the saddest episodes you can find.

A good second (my favorite actually) is Kanon 2006, 24 episodes series of the same studio as Angel Beats and Clannad. It has 5 girls, and every girl's arc is just heartbreaking.

Another great one but short one is EF: A Tale of Memories. It's a very touching romance series.

I will,i started watching Clannad,i m at episode 4 and its alerady amazing.

Just to ask you,that anime Gantz,is also heartbreaking and funny in some points?

Just to ask you,that anime Gantz,is also heartbreaking and funny in some points?

Heartbreaking and funny? Yeah, but I don't think think the way you're picturing it. The anime is heartbreaking and funny with how awkward the MC is at start. And while there's deaths, they aren't that heartbreaking, cause like in AoT you just know you don't have to grow attached to characters.

It's a series like AoT and Claymore. Well Claymore did had heartbreaking moments (Teresa), so does Gantz, but sadly the anime doesn't reach that point. It's a kickass action series where humans are fighting for their survival and that has you sitting on the edge of your seat when the MC is on his "missions".

Well, personally, I didn't really enjoy Elfen Lied. The story is really weak... Then again, I haven't seen HOTD so I can't compare them and say whether someone who liked HOTD willlike it. But it's just 13 episodes long so it's not that much of a pain to sit through it and tell for yourself.:)

Just got round to watching Elfen Lied, and I can see what you mean...story wise. It kinda reminded me of the film Species...:think:

I didn't dislike it, it has some good bits but like you said the story is weak and it doesn't really develop much at all. Its a shame because watching the opening scenes it looks like it will be really good, but kinda fizzles out mid way. That being said it was sad at the end with some gory scenes which keeps you watching. I don't know how people think H.O.T.D is like Elfen Lied!? apart from gory scenes and such its nothing like it! :confused:

Edited by aka dave

Heartbreaking and funny? Yeah, but I don't think think the way you're picturing it. The anime is heartbreaking and funny with how awkward the MC is at start. And while there's deaths, they aren't that heartbreaking, cause like in AoT you just know you don't have to grow attached to characters.

It's a series like AoT and Claymore. Well Claymore did had heartbreaking moments (Teresa), so does Gantz, but sadly the anime doesn't reach that point. It's a kickass action series where humans are fighting for their survival and that has you sitting on the edge of your seat when the MC is on his "missions".

Oh,still worth watching

Anyone recommend any good romance/harem animes with good endings? By good endings I mean something with closure. Let's just say open endings really bum me out. I'm reading DxD and Rosario Vampire so something like those would be great.

DxD is probably my favorite harem series and I got into Roasrio + Vampire earlier this year, and it's a pretty good read. I don't know what to say for "good endings," but I know a couple of series that are still going on. To Love-Ru is very funny in the ways of DxD and the first series is done, but it has a sequel called To Love-Ru Darkness that's still going on; and the anime follows fairly closely to the manga. I also like Sekirei, of which the manga is better, and it's almost at its conclusion. Other than that, Nisekoi is really good for a comedy/romance/school life manga and it's one of the funniest series I've read. Hope that helps.

Anyone recommend any good romance/harem animes with good endings? By good endings I mean something with closure. Let's just say open endings really bum me out. I'm reading DxD and Rosario Vampire so something like those would be great.

You could always try my fav anime which is Clannad...it's one of the best serries...has comedy and romance in it so yeah...also harem (well not every girl is head over heels after the MC but it's still good nonetheless. Oh but it has drama as well in it. If you don't wanna bawl your eyes I guess you should stay out of it (although I still think you should watch Clannad & Clannad After Story)

So let's see...another good harem romance would be Hagnai or Haiyore Nyaruko-san. Both of them has 2 seasons...and it doesn't really have a good ending since we're all expecting a 3rd season out of them. Another good romance/harem are Da Capo series. There's like 3 shows, each consisting of 2 seasons. Also try Date Alive. A very good anime as well. Another goody anime is Campione!. Has a good plot, awesome fights and also a good harem you could droll over it lol :3

To sum it up:

-Clannad & Clannad After Story

-Haiyore Nyaruko-san (both seasons)

-Haganai a/k/a Boku wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai (both seasons)

-Date Alive

-Da Capo (6 seasons in total..more or less <:3 )

-Campione!

Finish these of and I'll recommend more if you need other good romance/harem anime.

Edited by Shirou

To each their own right? I liked it very much that anime and I know others that enjoyed it too.

There will always be those on the pro and con sides for stuff like anime as well :3

To each their own, yes, but I could always recommend somebody that Gundam AGE anime and say the same thing. I am a Type B and even I hate Nyaruko which is saying a lot.

So basically harem romance action series with closure? Those are very very rare. Most action harems have romance as it subplot or hardly any closure. And I'm a bit confused, you're asking for animes but you're reading DxD and RV? So are mangas allowed or not? If you watched RV, I take my hat of that you actually were able to watch RV to the end.

But my recommendations:

Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari: This is a great one, and it has as much closure as you can ask.

Chrome Shelled Regios: I enjoyed this one too. Especially a fan of the light novels. But don't expect any closure in the romance department.

Campione: Big fan of this one too, again, especially of the light novels. This is as harem as it gets.

Edited by mugiwara84

So basically harem romance action series with closure? Those are very very rare. Most action harems have romance as it subplot or hardly any closure. And I'm a bit confused, you're asking for animes but you're reading DxD and RV? So are mangas allowed or not? If you watched RV, I take my hat of that you actually were able to watch RV to the end.

But my recommendations:

Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari: This is a great one, and it has as much closure as you can ask.

Chrome Shelled Regios: I enjoyed this one too. Especially a fan of the light novels. But don't expect any closure in the romance department.

Campione: Big fan of this one too, again, especially of the light novels. This is as harem as it gets.

Yeah I'm reading the DxD Light novel because I'm pretty sure it'll get a harem ending and not some pick none crap. As for Rosario Vampire, the manga is a 100X better than the anime. Season II of the manga is coming to an end and the whole Tsukune and Moka gives me all the feels as they say. I've watched Amagami SS and that's pretty much as romance it gets for me so far. Thanks for giving me some more things to watch ^_^.

Edit: It doesn't have to be action, just you know romance type of things. I'm taking a break from all the mecha and action stuff I've seen so far :p.

Edited by Killualll8tr

Really? Nobody recommended Ghost in the Shell or Akira?

Give them a shot. Also the Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Version is not so bad.

And of course Jin-Roh!

The only gripe I had with 2.0 was the CGI stuff added in....there was no need for it really.:think: Now when ever I watch it I always go with the original version. But yes tis an awesome film, you can totally see how it influenced the Matrix films.:D

Alright time for a new anime show. Just finished Spice and Wolf. I've watched DBZ, Full Metal Alchemist, Hellsing, and Outlaw Star.

Anyone else got any suggestions for me? I liked Spice and Wolf, it was a nice change of pace, but I'd like a bit more action in the next series.

Alright time for a new anime show. Just finished Spice and Wolf. I've watched DBZ, Full Metal Alchemist, Hellsing, and Outlaw Star.

Anyone else got any suggestions for me? I liked Spice and Wolf, it was a nice change of pace, but I'd like a bit more action in the next series.

Fairy Tail

Action orientated like DBZ without the long drawn out battles. Has a nice comedic balance. You get a power of friendship speech almost every fight, but its still highly enjoyable.

Hunter x Hunter

Its a fighting anime and like Fairy Tail it doesn't have the long drawn out battles. Its also not who has the better abilities or the more op style of fighting like other action animes, characters fighting experience and strategies definitely come into play just as much as their abilities do.

I highly recommend both but go with Hunter x Hunter first. If you do watch it watch the 2011 version.