Anime/Manga Recommendations & Suggestions

Bounty V

With multiple threads asking for suggestions or recommendations popping up, I figured we could do with one place where people can recommend anime and manga they recently watched and read, and perhaps give their 2 cents (without spoiling anything). On top of this, any newcomers to anime or manga can mention a few things they're looking for so us vets can suggest some good material!

Posting rules:

• Only post if you are recommending/suggesting something, or giving your 2 cents on an already posted title.
  • If you wish to discuss various anime, please use the Anime/Manga Thread.

That being said I'll get started :D

My absolute favorite anime of all time (as of right now) is Problem Children are Coming from Another World, aren't they? aka Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sō Desu yo?. It's a 10 episode anime based on an ongoing Light Novel/Manga series, but that doesn't take away from it! It's an action-based comedy, and the main character Izayoi Sakamaki is easily my favorite character of all time, both in appearance and personality. On top of the 10 episodes, the anime got an OVA in June which was enjoyable, albeit fanservice galore. Just as a side note, I don't read manga so I have no clue if this particular anime follows the source material closely, or how much more source material is for there to be a possibility of a second season.

Edited by Bounty V

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like a new anime to get into. What I'm looking for is something really action/fighting heavy with an interesting story to it. Just as a reference, I'm into Naruto right now (yes I agree there's too many episodes and too much filler but whatever), so perhaps something where there's all sorts of neat and cool-looking fight scenes and whatnot.

I've also watched through all of RvB and what there is right now of RWBY (those might not be considered anime but whatever, they're reference points too), and those are also examples of the heavy fighting stuff I'm into watching.

I'd prefer a video clip of an awesome fight scene from any series you guys and gals might suggest, but if not I can look for myself. Thank you! (and thanks for making this kind of a thread Bounty!)

I'd like a new anime to get into. What I'm looking for is something really action/fighting heavy with an interesting story to it. Just as a reference, I'm into Naruto right now (yes I agree there's too many episodes and too much filler but whatever), so perhaps something where there's all sorts of neat and cool-looking fight scenes and whatnot.

Try Fate/Zero

I'd prefer a video clip of an awesome fight scene from any series you guys and gals might suggest, but if not I can look for myself. Thank you! (and thanks for making this kind of a thread Bounty!)

you might like Hunter x Hunter 2011. has some pretty good fights. but if i remember right there is a lot of explaining that gets done in it too( i think thats a good thing, but not all may share my point of view)

and the story in it is great!

here is one of the fights in it, its only 3 mins of it so it shouldnt spoil anything

EDIT:i agree with Bounty. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood would also be a great watch

Edited by Tensei

I'd recommend Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood if you're looking for something that has story on top of cool fighting scenes. Definitely check out those other recommendations though - HxH and Bleach both have some great fighting scenes, and Fate/Zero is top class. Another anime with decent fighting scenes is Fairy Tail.

I've also watched through all of RvB and what there is right now of RWBY (those might not be considered anime but whatever, they're reference points too), and those are also examples of the heavy fighting stuff I'm into watching.

If you want something with amazing battles, definitely check out Fate/Zero. Hunter x Hunter (2011) also has a lot of pretty amazing fight scenes.

Another anime with decent fighting scenes is Fairy Tail.

I wouldn't recommend this. Actually, stay away from this.

Yeah, stay away from Fairy Tail. It's animated too childishly.

Edited by Ryukori

In the thread with animes to get started on anime with, a guy mentioned there are animes with heavy philosofical themes and I tried to ask him which animes he meant but got no answer. Anyone cares to answer for him?

And since I'm here, I just finished Steins;Gate and also really liked Robotics;Notes, so any recommendations on that line would also be welcome:D

Thanks in advance!!!

Heavy philosophical themes in anime? Hmm, first things that come to mind are Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ergo Proxy and RahXephon.

As for series recommendations:

Adventure

Cowboy Bebop

Kaiba

Samurai Champloo

Action

Baccano!

Black Lagoon

Darker Than Black

Heartcatch PreCure!

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Tiger & Bunny

Sci-fi

Dennou Coil

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Macross Frontier

Steins;Gate

Time of Eve

Slice of Life

Aria the Animation

Haibane Renmei

Mushishi

Sketchbook ~Full Colors~

Usagi Drop

Yokohama Shopping Trip

Romance

Nana

The Tatami Galaxy

There She Is!!

Drama

Gunslinger Girl

Kuragehime

Mawaru Penguindrum

Texhnolyze

Comedy

Azumanga Daioh

The iDOLM@STER

Invasion! Squid Girl

Nichijou

Thriller

Kaiji

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Economics

Spice & Wolf

Not necessarily things worth starting out with as a new anime watcher, nor necessarily things easy to get into, but things that I've enjoyed a hell of a lot.

Also watch the following films/shorts, period:

Dead Leaves

Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Little Witch Academia

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha: The Movie 1st

Metropolis

Nausicaa

Princess Mononoke

Redline

Summer Wars

Tekkonkinkreet

Wolf Children Ame & Yuki

On that note, don't watch anything from this list:

07-Ghost

Angel Beats**

Colorful (The series, not the film. Different things)

Deadman Wonderland**

Garzey's Wing*

Highschool of the Dead**

Ichi the Killer: Episode 0

Kai Doh Maru

Queen's Blade

Loups=Garous

Lucky Star

Mars of Destruction*

MD Geist*

Seikon no Qwaser

Speed Grapher*

Tokko

* - Arguably worth it for sheer stupidity

** - Arguable, a lot of people like these but I found them to be terrible

@Everyone giving me suggestions, thanks. I'll have to check into a couple of these over the weekend (back to school can be a big time consumer during the week lol). I shall be back and report on how I felt about each one (yes I'll even give Bounty's suggestion of Fairy Tail a try even with all the others against it, although it will be last on the list :p).

I believe I saw that FMA Brotherhood is available for Instant Stream on Netflix. I'm not sure if it's in English or Japanese, but when Netflix had Naruto on there it was in Japanese with English subs, so you never know. Fate/Zero also seems to be recommended as the one with the best fight scenes so I'll give those two a try first.

Just came in to say ewwww Fairy Tail.

There's nothing ewww about the power of friendship.

It is so inspiring in many ways. With friendship, we are unstoppable!

So many deus ex machinas in Fairy Tail, it's disturbing ; most of the time, it uses friendship as an excuse to explain it all

Edited by alec613

@Seasonreaper

Thank you! Always wanted to see Ergo Proxy, I'll definitely check it out after I'm done with Darker than Black(on episode 5 and loving it:D) and Psycho-Pass. Ghost in the Shell seems to be recommended a lot (and has an awesome name:p) so that's another one in my list!

Also, why don't you like 07 ghost? A while back I searched some images of it and liked the art style. Is the story that bad?

To all you Fairy Tail haters, I have only one thing to say:

[spoiler=Tits]

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/849/bwz7.jpg

Edit: Didn't want to risk an infraction so censored it like some animes had after that one law that didn't last it seem.

[spoiler=softenni]

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/577/ksce.jpg

Edited by mugiwara84

@Seasonreaper

Thank you! Always wanted to see Ergo Proxy, I'll definitely check it out after I'm done with Darker than Black(on episode 5 and loving it:D) and Psycho-Pass. Ghost in the Shell seems to be recommended a lot (and has an awesome name:p) so that's another one in my list!

Also, why don't you like 07 ghost? A while back I searched some images of it and liked the art style. Is the story that bad?

It went up at the anime society at my University because the first episode looked pretty cool, had some nice art and an interesting first episode.

...then nothing happened. For a 26 episode series, there's only around 3 episodes worth of plot, and none of those episodes seem linked together in any way. It seems to come up with a whole load of intriguing elements and then forget about them for the rest of the show. The most irritating thing is that it does seem to get interesting again... in the last episode. And then it ends. There's no second season either.

So basically yeah, aside from around an episode or two of interesting points spread across a 26 episode series, the only other notable sequences happen in the first and last episodes. The rest of it seems to be full of badly handled melodrama and pretty boys becoming pink fluffy dragons after dying.

Oh, and if you're watching/enjoying Psycho-Pass, I'd recommend Puella Magi Madoka Magica from that list, along with Fate/Zero. They're all written by the same author. He also worked on Phantom ~Requiem for a Phantom~, but I haven't seen that and the reception for it was notably lower than PMMM, F/Z and PP. From what I've seen of Psycho-Pass it's very similar in tone and style to Ghost in the Shell so that's another reason to recommend that :).

Edited by Seasonreaper

Oh, and if you're watching/enjoying Psycho-Pass, I'd recommend Puella Magi Madoka Magica from that list, along with Fate/Zero. They're all written by the same author. He also worked on Phantom ~Requiem for a Phantom~, but I haven't seen that and the reception for it was notably lower than PMMM, F/Z and PP. From what I've seen of Psycho-Pass it's very similar in tone and style to Ghost in the Shell so that's another reason to recommend that :).

It's because not many people watch BeeTrain animes because of their style . Let's just say They don't do mainstream ones.