PS4 FAQ - What We Know

Vyrastas

snip

Thanks for the info! I knew I was right to ask on here.

So in reality it seems like it is a massive improvement on paper. I know this was to be expected but its still reassuring to see that limits are being pushed.

That's all I want from a games console really, improvements to my gaming experience, eg graphics, speed, power, accessability, and it looks like the ps4 will have the hardware to achieve on all of them.

I suppose now its down to the devs etc to provide the AAA titles to go with it!

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I haven't updated the FAQ since I created it, I was out of town.

Great FAQ. I do feel it should mention peripheral compatibility though. We know the Move will work with the PS4. The Dualshock 3 will not. Then we're in the dark on Headsets like the Official Sony 7.1 set or other brands.

I've been reading about the X1 that it will not support 360 headsets, so its bound to come up as a question for the PS4 as well if it holds true.

I didn't think the PS3 version of Move/PS Eye would work with the PS4... does anyone know? They have a new version of the PS Eye with 2 lenses and the DS4 takes the place of the Move wand, so I assumed like the DS3, the PS3 version of Move wouldn't carry over.

I think it should also be added that you can turn off all that social media crap at will. :think:

Added.

Nice work on the thread! :)

I suggest that you add that the price of PS4 games will be between 99 cents and $60, as confirmed by Sony themselves (link). This should stop the confusion about the $99.99 pricing on Amazon because some people think that $99.99 is going to be the actual price of the game, but it's actually just a placeholder price.

Added.

They confirmed back during the press conference that PS3 PSN purchases will not carry to PS4. Even for their streaming service. PS3 purchases stay PS3 sadly.

Clarified this.

Sorry I haven't updated the FAQ since I created it, I was out of town.

I didn't think the PS3 version of Move/PS Eye would work with the PS4... does anyone know? They have a new version of the PS Eye with 2 lenses and the DS4 takes the place of the Move wand, so I assumed like the DS3, the PS3 version of Move wouldn't carry over.

The PS3 Move is compatible, that was shown in the conference and its reported confirmed across various outlets on the internet, but it will be using the new PS4 camera (which will be packaged with the PS4) for improved accuracy and performance.

Edit: The Media Molecule demonstration during the PS4 Conference where they were showing off that they could sculpt things and control the puppets.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYY-J3ckeSI]Media Molecule's PS4 Tech Demo - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by AlphaCookie

Because they're digital releases and they're not out on disc.

Plus a ps3 game is a full retail game, like Uncharted.

Where as those above were smaller games (and no plat! :mad: )

If I bought a dozen songs off itunes I wouldn't have to rebuy them when I upgraded my i-whatever. I shouldn't have to rebuy Sonic again beacuse I want it on ps4 :rant:

Oh dear mate. A PS3 game is a game made for PS3. Doesn't matter if it takes 10 minutes to play or hours. The only difference between a small game and a big game is that the small games are easier and faster to port. What you bought was a PS3 game for the PS3. There were no promises that it will work on any other system. Sure, it would be nice, but it's technically not possible unless they make a PS4 version, and that costs money to make and it's not something they have to do, as they sold you a PS3 game. PS Store even says what systems it works for when you buy it so there is no requirement for it to work on anything else than that.

The only reason to make the game into a PS4 game is if they can make money on it.

You have to see the difference between what's technically possible, what's a good business model and what you want yourself.

Oh dear mate. A PS3 game is a game made for PS3. Doesn't matter if it takes 10 minutes to play or hours. The only difference between a small game and a big game is that the small games are easier and faster to port. What you bought was a PS3 game for the PS3. There were no promises that it will work on any other system. Sure, it would be nice, but it's technically not possible unless they make a PS4 version, and that costs money to make and it's not something they have to do, as they sold you a PS3 game. PS Store even says what systems it works for when you buy it so there is no requirement for it to work on anything else than that.

The only reason to make the game into a PS4 game is if they can make money on it.

You have to see the difference between what's technically possible, what's a good business model and what you want yourself.

Yeah I have to agree here, I don't think emulation would be possible on a PS4 and as for re-making, that would just cost too much and I am sure they have outweighed that against the risk of losing customers, and the cost was higher I'm guessing.

Yeah, Sony kind of shot themselves in the foot regarding backwards compatible games by using the non-standard Cell processor and architecture for PS3. Just makes it that much harder to emulate or port.

The PS3 Move is compatible, that was shown in the conference and its reported confirmed across various outlets on the internet, but it will be using the new PS4 camera (which will be packaged with the PS4) for improved accuracy and performance.

Edit: The Media Molecule demonstration during the PS4 Conference where they were showing off that they could sculpt things and control the puppets.

Thanks, I've updated it.

Also added a section for the Package (what is bundled with the PS4) and updated the Vita Compatibility... Sony is asking developers to include Vita streaming. I'm not sure means streaming is required for all games, like trophies are.

Looks like Vita remote play will be required. It basically means they have to map the controllers in the game to Vita for all games. The rest is done by PSN I'd imagine.

I honestly wonder how that should work since vita has to buttons less and I doubt they'll remap Share / Options to Start / Select as the former seems to be hardcoded. And I hope they don't expect precise movement on the trackpad on Vita's inherently imprecise rear trackpad. :think:

I honestly wonder how that should work since vita has to buttons less and I doubt they'll remap Share / Options to Start / Select as the former seems to be hardcoded. And I hope they don't expect precise movement on the trackpad on Vita's inherently imprecise rear trackpad. :think:

I believe they will use rear touch to replace some of the DS4 buttons.

Hmm :think:

buy digital games on PS4 and when PS5 comes out lose games

or

buy digital games on PC and when upgrading gaming rig keep games.

I'm happy I haven't got 100 downloaded games on my PS3 or I'd lose them all!

or

Then get a PC. The thing is, upgrading the PC probably costs more than the cost of those game. Or even the cost of keeping your PS3;)

or

Sadly it isn't this easy with PC either. Lot's of older games don't work properly on W7 or even Vista. Either they flatout refuse to work with the newer OS or they don't scale very well with the improved hardware. And some have those ridiculous activation-limit DRM even though they're account bound, making major upgrades count against your limit.

:(

Sadly it isn't this easy with PC either. Lot's of older games don't work properly on W7 or even Vista. Either they flatout refuse to work with the newer OS or they don't scale very well with the improved hardware. And some have those ridiculous activation-limit DRM even though they're account bound, making major upgrades count against your limit.

We should not be surprised if there is some kind of DRM on the PS4 aswell.

I have allready prepared for it psychologically, so you won't see me moaning about it all over the forums when it (possibly) happens.

We should not be surprised if there is some kind of DRM on the PS4 aswell.

I have allready prepared for it psychologically, so you won't see me moaning about it all over the forums when it (possibly) happens.

I almost expect it. I just don't see how Sony can be that different than the Xbox One that I suspect it's more publisher driven. We could see them moving for an option where 1st party titles does not do that, while certain 3rd party games does it.

I don't see why people are getting so worked up about DRM, sorry to say this people but if SONY add it to the PS4, all the kicking and screaming you do won't be worth it, it's there deal with it.

I mean Steam uses it, iTunes uses it and so does the apple store do I moan about it no I get on it with and if it's to stop piracy then I'm sorry but I would rather pay for an unlock for the game I got pre-owned better than be barned as a pirate

Edited by madridboy86

I don't see why people are getting so worked up about DRM, sorry to say this people but if SONY add it to the PS4, all the kicking and screaming you do won't be worth it, it's there deal with it.

I mean Steam uses it, iTunes uses it and so does the apple store do I moan about it no I get on it with and if it's to stop piracy then I'm sorry but I would rather pay for an unlock for the game I got pre-owned better than be barned as a pirate

Yeah cause DRM really helped the PC with piracy.....

Yeah cause DRM really helped the PC with piracy.....

It takes more effort to pirate on consoles. So I imagine it actually helps console makers adding it. Economically.

I don't support DRM, however I DO support my favourite developers.

I'll use the preview/demo thingie for new games that I'm unsure if I'll buy. (This feature was mentioned wasn't it? Or did I dream this?)

Then get a PC. The thing is, upgrading the PC probably costs more than the cost of those game. Or even the cost of keeping your PS3;)

Well at least I get to keep all my games that way. Maybe I should :think:

goddammit :(

I remember what happened to the last person who said 'Deal With It'

:devil:

It looks like the camera/eyetoy won't come with every PS4. Which in my opinion is GREAT news as I don't want to pay extra for something I don't want. Hopefully anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/iJgqRWP.png

Any sauce on that?

If the camera is a separate and not required, and games can be played with a normal controller... :applause:

If they can add that to not screwing up with DRM and used games then I'll get my pre order in :)

Any sauce on that?

If the camera is a separate and not required, and games can be played with a normal controller... :applause:

If they can add that to not screwing up with DRM and used games then I'll get my pre order in :)

I've seen a couple articles pop up about the camera being sold separately now too. It kind of contradicts the talk back in February but considering the backlash Microsoft has been getting about Big Brother Kinect, its possible Sony will offer a Camera-Free SKU or have just dropped the camera to a non-included accessory altogether to assure the public that Sony isn't making the same hilarious choices as Microsoft. The general market is dumb, and knowing Kinect is mandatory, they'll see the PS4 with a camera and think its mandatory there too after all.

But thats nothing short of wild speculation. Unless Sony steps out now and confirms it or says something at E3 in 8 days, its pointless to talk about until they do. Right now, the general assumption is still probably that the PS4 will be bundled with a Camera.

The camera was never mandatory btw, and sony never even made hints along those lines. So having one or not doesn't really concern me. Would I use it? Probably a few times for novelty. Otherwise, if it'll save me $20-$30 on a PS4 package, screw that thing. If I want split-screen to be ordered in the order of players, I'll just move on the damn couch.

The camera was never mandatory btw, and sony never even made hints along those lines. So having one or not doesn't really concern me. Would I use it? Probably a few times for novelty. Otherwise, if it'll save me $20-$30 on a PS4 package, screw that thing. If I want split-screen to be ordered in the order of players, I'll just move on the damn couch.

From what they were saying around the time of their launch it sounded like it was going to be mandatory. Another case of the company not being clear enough I guess.

If it optional, then I'll be avoiding it altogether and using those savings to get more games :dance: