Arcade Legend Trophy

spoonman

Not yet, but 6 people have according to PSNp.

Out of the games available so far, I'd say 1943 would be the easiest, but it still isn't THAT easy, that's for sure. Maybe one of the later released games will prove easier.

Perhaps, but if its one thing early Capcom arcade games are known for its certainly not being easy.

I know it won't be Ghosts 'N Goblins! ;)

Yeah, there's not really much in the lineup for this that looks particularly promising for an "easy" no-continue victory. Maybe Trojan - but I doubt being able to get through the NES game with my eyes closed back-in-the-day will help at all when playing the actual arcade version. :)

Avengers would be the SHORTEST of the three games to try it on right now, but unless there's a reliable gimmick on the bridge and water bosses that actually works, that sounds like an effort in futility.

Yeah, if I WANTED to take the time to get competent at Avengers, it looks possible - Easy mode gives you eight lives (since you'll get two extra lives at 20,000 and 80,000 but the game would end before you could realistically hit 140K), so you could die at least once every level and still emerge victorious.

[EDIT] Actually pulled it off on my very next attempt at the game. Got to the final boss with six energy units and one extra life in reserve, which gave me JUST enough hits to finish him off before dropping. Which also confirms you don't have to worry about leaving the game on "default factory settings" for difficulty or lives - as long as you're playing in Arcade and not Casual, you can still get the Arcade Legend trophy on "Easy" difficulty.

http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Peridot_Weapon.png

Still don't really get the best way to fight the Stage 5 (Water) boss, though ...

Edited by Laire

I'm close to getting this trophy on Black Tiger, I can already make it to stage 7 comfortably. But I'm used to playing arcade games on a single credit :D

There's no other way around it - practice, practice, practice. Learn from your mistakes - if you messed up at one point, try to see what you did wrong. And more importantly, avoid using continues. Because you're constantly repeating the levels, you can memorize the tricky parts and soon enough you'll beat level after level without dying. That's how people cleared arcade games on a single credit back in the day.

Black Tiger is actually quite easy for an arcade game. Just keep at it and you'll make progress.

I'm close to getting this trophy on Black Tiger, I can already make it to stage 7 comfortably. But I'm used to playing arcade games on a single credit :D

I imagine of all the games out there right now, Black Tiger would be the most satisfying to 1-credit clear.

I was never very good at long-term play on the 80s Capcom Arcade titles in my youth (the few I ever got to play) - I can't remember any other than Strider that I could easily clear. I was better at early 90s beat-em-ups like The King of Dragons, and Konami's TMNT/X-Men games, because you could easily confuse and defeat the bosses by moving vertically.

2-player Avengers might be the easiest approach, especially if you can die on-line and still get the trophy by "watching" to the end. But you'd need to make sure that the person who survives to the end understands the gimmicks around fighting the last bosses, or all the lives in the world won't make a difference.

(Or is DarkMaizena saying you can get it 2-player as long as ONE player doesn't continue during the course of the game, even if the other player continues twenty times? If so, that'd definitely take all meaning out of the trophy. Heh.)

Edited by Laire

Since they've allotted eight "trophy points" per game (Bronze count as 1, Silver as 2, Gold as 6 in the scoring system), I kinda wish they'd split each game up into four Silver trophies instead of a Silver and a Gold - even if the Golds look more relevant on the scorecard.

That way, they could have had a "1 Credit Clear" trophy for EACH game (or at least the ones where it's applicable). Without artificial incentive to do so, I probably won't motivate to do it in the other games. :)

And with FOUR trophies in each game, they could have added more elaborate challenges, like "Defeat the game without ever upgrading your weapon" in Black Tiger, or "Score 500,000 Points without using autofire" in 1943.

Or is DarkMaizena saying you can get it 2-player as long as ONE player doesn't continue during the course of the game, even if the other player continues twenty times? If so, that'd definitely take all meaning out of the trophy. Heh.

Exactly what I was trying to say, sorry if it wasn't clear. I got the trophy using this method and can confirm that it works

Exactly what I was trying to say, sorry if it wasn't clear. I got the trophy using this method and can confirm that it works

Good enough. So much for this trophy being rare! :) You just need to be good at playing "keep away from the bosses" and have a second player do the actual fighting.

Black Tiger cleared! Trophy is now in my collection :D

Like I said before - learn the game, keep at it and the clear will come. It's not really that difficult.

Yeah, I was thinking about going for it on Black Tiger. As far as bosses go, only the level 7 one is really a bastard, and if you upgrade weapons and then always buy the top-flight armor, you have a good shot at it.

You do need to memorize those stupid poison plants, though.

OK, since you beat Black Tiger... How the hell do you beat Stage 7? It's the one stage I'm stuck on.

What part? With the exception of the boss, it's pretty much the same as anything else. The boss is a (much harder) version of the stage 5 boss. Just remember to have the best weapon, and to jump in the air and hit him with the chain part (it's much better than the knives part).

Also, don't get hit by the blue fire. You might as well quit if you do.

I went it with 2 health bars and level two armor, plus a level 4 weapon, and beat him in around 5 tries, so it can definitely be done.

What part? With the exception of the boss, it's pretty much the same as anything else. The boss is a (much harder) version of the stage 5 boss. Just remember to have the best weapon, and to jump in the air and hit him with the chain part (it's much better than the knives part).

Also, don't get hit by the blue fire. You might as well quit if you do.

I went it with 2 health bars and level two armor, plus a level 4 weapon, and beat him in around 5 tries, so it can definitely be done.

Well, I get stuck with the higher platforms to reach the boss. After I get to a certain point, I'm stuck.

Well, I get stuck with the higher platforms to reach the boss. After I get to a certain point, I'm stuck.

Is that the level with the platform that seems too high to reach with a jump? I remember one level where there seemed to be an impossible jump, but sure enough, after a bunch of times, I did make it. So, if that's the level (and I think it is), don't give up - you can make that high jump.

Is that the level with the platform that seems too high to reach with a jump? I remember one level where there seemed to be an impossible jump, but sure enough, after a bunch of times, I did make it. So, if that's the level (and I think it is), don't give up - you can make that high jump.

Got stuck there myself for quite a while.

The way I made it through was to hit the attack button just when you are about to reach the platform.

Could never make the jump without doing that for some reason.

Here's a youtube video of it, check at 12:30 - 12:35, in the video the player don't attack in the jump though, simply jumps over like nothing :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuBBt3gapFw

Note that this is not my video!

I still worry about Ghosts 'n' Goblins more than the rest (although to be fair, I only played through about half of Gunsmoke and have cloudy memories of Section Z from the far easier NES version).

Since the only requirement is "Defeat Astaroth," I'm hoping that means the illusionary FIRST playthrough counts. Otherwise, I'll pass.

And any veteran of 1942 (not 1943) knows that the REAL Gold Trophy for that game should be "listen to the music at maximum volume for 30 minutes without going mad." I actually remember not being upset to get shot down in that because you'd get a few precious seconds of actual music from it. :D

I second Gun Smoke. That game is Satan.

GRRRR I can't do that stupid jump on level 7 either. What the hell man? What more does this game want from me lol?

The trick is to hold up and right while you jump ( 9 )

I also struggled but read it somewhere and did it first time like that.