Ship's powder stores - help needed

effdeegee

Hey, guys.

I'm in a bit of a jam and need some help.

I only need 25 sync points (and beat Fanorona) left for platinum but, the game won't let me get those 25 points.

They are located in the Naval Privateer Contract called The Giant and The Storm where you have to sink 5 small ships to lure out the 3 large ships is seriously story seas (word up to alliteration).

The mission is worth 50 points, 25 for completing the mission and 25 for the single optional objective "Sink ships by firing on their powder stores - 0/3".

I've done the mission 6 or 7 times now and the best I can get is 1/3. My main issue is; the ships aren't presenting the opportunity to fire at their powder stores.

I have no definitive way of getting them to show. It seems to be just a matter of amount of damage. Grape Shot seemed to work once. Fire Shot dead on to the front (ram) of the ship works sometimes but, often sinks the ship at the same time (the white circle appears as it's sinking). I've also tried to take out their masts and pick away at them with the swivel cannon but, it takes forever.

Does anyone have any other methods for getting the ships to reveal their powder stores?

Edited by effdeegee

Hey, guys.

I'm in a bit of a jam and need some help.

I only need 25 sync points (and beat Fanorona) left for platinum but, the game won't let me get those 25 points.

They are located in the Naval Privateer Contract called The Giant and The Storm where you have to sink 5 small ships to lure out the 3 large ships is seriously story seas (word up to alliteration).

The mission is worth 50 points, 25 for completing the mission and 25 for the single optional objective "Sink ships by firing on their powder stores - 0/3".

I've done the mission 6 or 7 times now and the best I can get is 1/3. My main issue is; the ships aren't presenting the opportunity to fire at their powder stores.

I have no definitive way of getting them to show. It seems to be just a matter of amount of damage. Grape Shot seemed to work once. Fire Shot dead on to the front (ram) of the ship works sometimes but, often sinks the ship at the same time (the white circle appears as it's sinking). I've also tried to take out their masts and pick away at them with the swivel cannon but, it takes forever.

Does anyone have any other methods for getting the ships to reveal their powder stores?

This mission gave me a hard time too. I watched many guides and couldnt expose it by firing on them. So i went about it a different way. At the start of that part, I would ram the middle one head and expose it. The other two I would cripple it by destorying the masts and them ramming them head on without them moving.

Hope this helps you!

I'm guessing you've Upgraded your naval ram... which is not good... my Best suggestion would be to position yourself in front of a ship so it looks like the ships going to Ram into you then shoot it with your normal Cannons or Grape shot which you said did good damage don't use the fire shot that might sink it. so if you shoot it from the front there's a good chance it'll reveal it's powdered stores or sometimes i've rammed side by side and shot all my cannons and it's revealed it too... but i'm not sure if once you've upgraded your naval ram if it increases Ramming damage from the sides.

Help: I've upgraded my naval ram which reading now I'm starting to regret. I've tried ramming them which has proven to be the most effects but has a huge risk as if I charge into the side you get pounded by the enemy guns plus if you hit too hard you can destroy a ship in one attack. Head on attacks work fine and I can manage taking down 2 ships with this method, so its quite doable but the extra 1 make this a complete pain in the ass. Spent now half a day of gameplay on this single mission thats basically 12 hours in which I could have completed a whole game and had time to watch a movie. Is there anyway I can degrade the naval ram, I guess not but I will try doing a chain shot to see if I have better luck with immobilized targets, and make sure I don't ram them the wrong way

PSN: versiononev1

TimeZone: GMT (London)

Trophies: Online

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/versiononev1.png

versiononev1's Blog

versiononev1's Facebook

versiononev1's Keek

versiononev1's MySpace

versiononev1's Raptr

versiononev1's Roosterteeth

versiononev1's Tumblr

versiononev1's Trophies

versiononev1's Twitch

versiononev1's Twitter

versiononev1's Yeousch

versiononev1's YouTube Channel

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/versiononev1.png

PS3 Trophy Boosters Facebook Group

Xbox 360 Achievement Boosters Facebook Group

After about a billion tries and my frustration mounting, I rammed the first ship and it cooperated. Then I put some distance between the 2 ships and they rammed each other, exposing BOTH weakpoints!!!! I was so happy! I hope this happens to other players as Giant and the Storm's constraint is total crap!

luckily i was reading a guide on another mission which i couldn't get the optional one and it said dont buy the ram for the ship so i havent, didnt know you could expose the gunpowder with a headon ram and i always forget about the chain shot to take down the sails... ill give that a go later

Tried many variations with little success...

Most were too dependant on luck...

Ended up using chain shot to cripple them, then slowly approach them from the front toggeling between half-sail and full stop. When I made contact an inch to the side of the front, I toggled half-speed on and off quickly, just nudging the front until the weak point was revealed. A stupid and totally unrealistic way to do it, but it was reliable and worked.

This mission SUCKS big time. If you have upgraded all, then I would say CHAINSHOT is your friend. Ramming is a good and quick choice but I do not recommend 'cause most of the time they get killed by just 1 ram hit.........

What chainshot does is it will disable ships' movement which is extremely helpful in such bad environment. After that, you go to the side of the ship, slightly more forward so that you can aim the front part, then stop and use the weakest round shot(?, forgot sorry). The powder stores will expose in about 5 times ;)

And try ramming the first ship 'cause the first one is real easy to get a head-on collision and save you some time.