The Giant and the Storm 100% Sync

ZionAxis

This is one of the last 2 missions I need for 100% sync and it sounds like a pain :( luckily I haven't upgraded my ship at all, I just went strait to the story missions and ignored everything else on the map, I suppose it helped me with this haha. The other mission is the one where you have to infiltrate the boast and kill the grenadier dudes, it seems impossible.

You don't need to kill all the soldiers, just one or two so you can blow up the power stores. I remember taking them out with arrows from high up.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I JUST got this FINALLY! I can't remember being this mad at a game in a looong time! After 25-30 tries and reading every strategy imaginable, I found one that worked so well for me I actually replayed it immediately and did it again. I wanted to see if it was just luck.

With fully upgraded Aquila:

Try to take out the Orpheus (center ship) right away with the full speed ram and quick blast. You need the rogue wave to cooperate. If you don't take it down, no biggie it just takes a little longer. Use your chain ammo on the masts of all 3 ships (or 2 if your lucky) to cripple them. I wound up disabling them sort of close together, but I guess distance would be better. Then just take your sweet ass time lining up in a "T" position in front of them (maybe 400m?). When your lined up just do a quick tap with R1 and your regular round ammo. After 3-4 good blasts the weak spot opens up and VICTORY AT LAST!

I JUST got this FINALLY! I can't remember being this mad at a game in a looong time! After 25-30 tries and reading every strategy imaginable, I found one that worked so well for me I actually replayed it immediately and did it again. I wanted to see if it was just luck.

Try to take out the Orpheus (center ship) right away with the full speed ram and quick blast. You need the rogue wave to cooperate. If you don't take it down, no biggie it just takes a little longer. Use your chain ammo on the masts of all 3 ships (or 2 if your lucky) to cripple them. I wound up disabling them sort of close together, but I guess distance would be better. Then just take your sweet ass time lining up in a "T" position in front of them (maybe 400m?). When your lined up just do a quick tap with R1 and your regular round ammo. After 3-4 good blasts the weak spot opens up and VICTORY AT LAST!

After numerous attempts using different methods (I've got a fully upgraded Aquila), this method worked a treat after just 3 attempts :)

This mission took me so many times to beat, I already had maxed out every upgrade on my ship before I was even halfway through those missions. I must have tried this mission a hundred times. Finally beat it though, lots of grinding for hours.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this. I tried it a few times and failed, but I used it as a basis for the way I eventually did it.

I have all upgrades other than ram and heat shot. I used chain shot until they were disabled, took a few shots at the front of the ship like you say. Then I lined it up and rammed the ship from 45 degrees, not head on but not into the side. I'd end up scraping along the ship where I could shoot the powder stores from extremely close range. If they weren't exposed I'd have another shot or two then try again. The hardest part for me was dodging their constant attacks because even though they couldn't move, I would always be in the line of fire from at least one ship. Not to mention the damn waves.

• 4 months later...

I read most of the tips on this thread and this one proved the most useful (and easiest way) for me: Don't ram the ships, let the enemy ship ram into you.

First, I sailed full sail, head on into the big ship which revealed it's powder store. If I missed I just restarted cause if you don't get rid of the big ship first, you're likely to be killed a lot faster.

Now for the smaller ships, sail towards them head on. Doesn't matter if you're on full sail or half sail. When you're close to colliding head on with the enemy ship, turn your ship a bit to the left or right so that when the enemy ship rams into you, it doesn't ram you at the front of the your ship...and before the enemy ship collides with you...stop your ship.

This way worked the first time I tried it...2/2 times lol. No chain shot, nothing.

Edited by FlyingDoughnut

The trick is to use normal shots and hit ONLY the bow of the ship.

After a few hits the weak spot comes easily, I did it like this with a fully upgraded Aquila.

This got it done for me

2 salvos each and the weak spot showed up no problem. You can keep your distance and not get screwed when they ram you and die

• 2 months later...

What a POS. Finally got this after like 3 hours cuz I had the fully upgraded ship. The method that worked in the end was disabling the ships with the chain shot then shooting with the cannon from their like 1 or 11 oclock. Still took me many tries. Seems like it's a bunch of luck especially with the ramming the smaller ships method. I let them t-bone me while I was at full stop and 99% of the time they'd still get destroyed.

The chain shot + head on ramming is, in my opinion, the best way to reveal the weak spot. I did it in about 30 minutes after reading up on the strategy. It is however still rather luck based so be patient with it and understand is going to take some time to finish.

Don't think that just shooting them with regular cannon balls is going to reliably work, it just won't do it.

• 3 months later...

Took me 4 hours cos of upgraded ship not helping. Read the strategy on the 1st page of this forum and it didn't work for me.

I rammed the Man-o-War head-on to begin with, that often gives you the chance to blow the exposed gunpowder stash and of course takes out the most powerful ship right from the start.

I then used chain-shot to disable the other 2 ships, then i manouvered my ship nose-to-nose, when just a few feet away for a split-second press for HALF SAIL then STOP, that gentle nudge should do it, 2nd ship took 2 nudges and it worked for me first try with this strategy.

Edited by killercake

Took me 4 hours cos of upgraded ship not helping. Read the strategy on the 1st page of this forum and it didn't work for me.

I rammed the Man-o-War head-on to begin with, that often gives you the chance to blow the exposed gunpowder stash and of course takes out the most powerful ship right from the start.

I then used chain-shot to disable the other 2 ships, then i manouvered my ship nose-to-nose, when just a few feet away for a split-second press for HALF SAIL then STOP, that gentle nudge should do it, 2nd ship took 2 nudges and it worked for me first try with this strategy.

This is exactly how I did it, any other way didn't seem to work because my ship was fully upgraded. It's much safer to nudge it until the weak spot is exposed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm not sure if it was mentioned in this thread since I didn't look through all the pages but the Heat shots made this really easy for me. 1 Full charged heat shot aimed at the head/front of the man o war and it exposed the weakness for me, and 1-2 non-charged heat shots exposed on the smaller boats. Maybe I just got lucky but I did this first try after getting Heat shots for my boat. Tried before with ramming but didn't work for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it with this strategy as well.

This was all that stood between me and the platinum.

I had a fully upgraded ship, so ramming was out of the question. I used chain shot to disable each ship, then switched to normal and sailed past the front of each 2/3 times. The weak point was exposed and I finished them off.

Sounds easy, but in reality is wasn't. Game removed from my PS3 never to be played again. Awful, truly awful.

• 1 month later...

I used chain shot to immobilize the ships, then shot heat shot at the bows until I could see the weak spots and blew them to hell. To make things easier, I stopped in front of the bows. This did cause some trouble with the Man of War, but I just kept taking cover. The other two ships couldn't fire from the front, so didn't have to worry. Not too difficult.

Edited by ShadowStar83x

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if this method is a 100% one, but after several tries of immobilizing and just ramming head on on Half-speed. I thought about the wind. Since it gives you a speed boost when you're riding with the wind, what about going against it?

First I immobilized the ships, then I just steered until I got to the front of the ships and made sure I was against the wind and hit them at Half-speed. Worked 2/3 times. The third time a wave raised the Man O' War, so that may be the reason why, but luckily I just grazed it with a couple of round shots and got the powder kegs.

Just my little tip if anyone is still trying to platinum this game or stuck on this very difficult mission.

• 4 months later...
Hmm not sure if it was mentioned in this thread since I didn't look through all the pages but the Heat shots made this really easy for me. 1 Full charged heat shot aimed at the head/front of the man o war and it exposed the weakness for me, and 1-2 non-charged heat shots exposed on the smaller boats. Maybe I just got lucky but I did this first try after getting Heat shots for my boat. Tried before with ramming but didn't work for me.

I got it second time with this tip. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The chain shot + head on ramming is, in my opinion, the best way to reveal the weak spot. I did it in about 30 minutes after reading up on the strategy. It is however still rather luck based so be patient with it and understand is going to take some time to finish.

Yes this^

This guy shows it here -

• 4 months later...

Just got it done, and I think I might have given one of the loudest game-related cheers so far. Such a frustrating mission. Did pretty much exactly what the guy above me did. But my key factor was really just to be patient. Keep using square to dodge fire and waves, and don't get stressed and mash away cannons at them. Be patient and ram at them when a window is open.