Fanorona (EXPERT) Easy Win Method

dawngalneryus

Easy win? Really?

Have the options and difficulty set up as in the OP, took me ages to figure out how the game/program works..but have finally figured it out.

Then this..

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ahegat.png

Damn PS3 beat this java app...

Edit: Haha. Finally got it..Had him down to like 10 V 3 and he still managed to take afew of my pieces.

Edited by SimonD

Thanks for the link, after a bit of trial and error by only betting 10L, I finally got to fully understand the program and then I went for Max bets to get the 500L needed for the Thief challenge out of the way and winning that mini game for the Trophy.

The program sometimes committed mistakes by not eating 3 pieces that where clearly isolated on a corner and where perfectly eatable, and ended up sacrificing a piece and forcing a draw, but 2 out of 3 it always leads to a win the rest being draws.

Edited by erdvilla

Ok this is BS now..back doing this to get the 500 bet winnings for thief challenge and win 3 games in a row to get up to 470/500.

Now I've done 4 games where the PS3 keeps playing safety moves when down to the last few pieces and keeps offering a draw. I keep following the program but the ps3 and java app both keep making pointless moves which won't win either of us the game.

Then I have to play by myself and try and draw him out then obviously end up losing every time.

Try the link in my post on page 4. It was the only java programme that beat the computer for me and was a damned sight easier to understand and follow than the others too.

I've tried with that one, and it's failed, too. I just don't get it. The computer for Nine Men's Morris in my game just beats everything, no matter what. It's really starting to piss me the fuck off.

Easy win? Really?

Have the options and difficulty set up as in the OP, took me ages to figure out how the game/program works..but have finally figured it out.

Then this..

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ahegat.png

Damn PS3 beat this java app...

Edit: Haha. Finally got it..Had him down to like 10 V 3 and he still managed to take afew of my pieces.

I never got beat, actually I never even won using this problem. Drew like 3 times straight and gave up on the program.

Although it makes it easier to win, it isn't a 100% chance of winning.

i got this after a few tries

watch [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO0t3o8LDCs]PowerPYX video [/ame] but i want you to change it up a bit (AI moves are different you can copy powerpyx and maybe get lucky))

so out of the three highlighted chips, take the first chip on the line and go up one, go left but kill the chip to the right (not the left like powerpyx), go up NW killing a chip then go SE killing another chip. From there on the AI goes the way it wants to. From now on, the thing not to think mutli chip kills but positioning, this is very important and when chips get down to 5 or less, positioning and strategy matters, I killed the AI to 3 chips only to lose. if you don't want to play the game over again, take Iut a pen and paper and map it out.

Using this program in AC3 homestead actually turned out as a draw 2 times. I gave up after that with the app and tried furthermore to beat Archillis on my own. I was successful. It took me over 6 hours to beat that stubborn old guy, but I succeeded. (5 hrs before using this app and 1 hr after)

Even though this Java Fanorona game didn't give me a win, I think it did help me understand the game more, especially how this old guy plays.

I think if you play this game enough you can eventually win. The only thing is that you have to learn from each game.

How I won:

First know that taking the most pieces during a single move isn't always the best idea. What is best, is to think of what Archillis will do after your move. Think of the most damaging move he can make, and try to stop it with your move while, at the same time, taking chips.

Archillis' goal, when few pieces are left, is to lure you into a move that you have to take to give him the advantage. A move, for example, where he forces you to take one of his chips, giving him a move where he take two of yours. This I found most common during the end of the game. You need to avoid this at all costs and focus on blocking him into a corner. This, unfourtanelty isn't always possible.

You have to realize you're playing against a software program. This program is mean, relentless, and deceptive. You don't need to outsmart this program, just predict, with experience, what it will do, and provide efficient defense against it. This will give you an edge at the end--enough to beat this fucking old ass bitch. Lock Archillis into a corner and slaughter his black ass AC3 style.

I'm not getting it to work. The game online is taking multiple pieces away from the board on the first move and the ac3 game doesn't do that. I have all the options set the way you described them. I do not have multiple moves on first move selected. I can't figure out what the problem is. I have reloaded several times.

EDIT: the other problem is no matter what I click I can't get my piece to move multiple times after the first move.

Edited by skinman

I'm not getting it to work. The game online is taking multiple pieces away from the board on the first move and the ac3 game doesn't do that. I have all the options set the way you described them. I do not have multiple moves on first move selected. I can't figure out what the problem is. I have reloaded several times.

EDIT: the other problem is no matter what I click I can't get my piece to move multiple times after the first move.

The game flashes the pieces you can move

You cannot move to the same spot you just moved from

One you picked a piece to move, places you can move flashes a small dot.

Once you moved your piece and If you have the choice of killing two different opposite pieces, it give you a glowing circle the size of the pieces.

Ex.

White1 - you - blank spot - white2

If you move into the blank spot, you have the choice of killing white1 or white 2

If you have a kill move on your next turn, it's your only option and cannot move any other piece.

Tip: Multi kills seems like a great idea but that leaves more spots he can move.

The games are not impossible to beat legit. Yea they are tough as hell and I wanted to break everything around me. But when I finally won it was so satisfying. Y'all should really give it a good attempt before trying this program. What's irritating is , everyone's gonna get these hard ass games done this way and vote it a 3/10 difficulty, just that trophy alone is a 9/10 legit if not higher

9/10? Not really. People rank ICO with its speedrun trophy as 6/10, if anything is close to that in AC3, it's the optional objectives in Privateer Contracts. The board games are fun to play and not that hard to master.

I spent the most time on bowls as the game session is just so long and it's luck-based. Took me 4 or 5 attempts to win in Fanorona and the hardest part IMO is the final part of the game when the board is almost empty. It's pretty easy to dominate in the beginning, but you have to be very attentive and think hard to turn your advantage into a win, it's very easy to lose everything due to one miscalculated move in this game.

Nine Men's Morris seemed impossible at first. I downloaded an app for Android, but my phone actually lost to PS3 :D But then I went and read a tip to start with taking two opposite corners of the board. Won on 2nd try.

Sorry guys, i've retry clic on the link but say me "Page not found" :think:

I've Chrome and go in the cache copy of the page ( Fanorona )

and i've downloaded and installed java correctly but the game don't show and give me an error :confused:

Try to recharge but not work :(

Maybe i must use another broswer like firefox, explorer, ecc?

Please help me! :)

Sorry guys, i've retry clic on the link but say me "Page not found" :think:

I've Chrome and go in the cache copy of the page ( Fanorona )

and i've downloaded and installed java correctly but the game don't show and give me an error :confused:

Try to recharge but not work :(

Maybe i must use another broswer like firefox, explorer, ecc?

Please help me! :)

I'm using Chrome and I double-checked the links(the one in my first post and the one in your last post), they both work.

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/180a/projects/fanorona/

Try copy this to the browser instead of clicking the link. If it's still not okay, I guess you can give firefox a try.

Just want to share this Fanorona (EXPERT) Easy-Win Method to anyone who is frustrated playing with the old man(Achilles).

This method is kinda simple: you use computer(this program) to play with computer(ACIII)

Fanorona

If you don't know how to play Fanorona, make sure to enable the Long move log format under options, although it is recommended to learn it 'cause it's fun :)

(java's needed, and also thanks to this program creator)

I won on my first try ;)

HOW IT WORKS

Before playing, you might want do a setup first.

After that, let Achilles(ACIII) play first, input his moves in this program and you will rip him off in no time ;)

P.S. This method should also be able to be applied on other games as well

THE SETUP

Under Level: I set to Three-ply fixed depth search(Necessary, thanks to Obie83)

Under Options:

1. Computer plays black pieces
  2. Human plays white pieces
  3. White pieces start at top
  4. White makes first move
  5. Long move log format
  6. Mulitple captures on first move ok(might not be necessary)

INSTRUCTION: HOW TO MOVE AND TAKE

*Remember you(Achilles) are the White pieces

1. To move your desired white piece, instead of clicking on it, you choose the black piece to take.
    [important!]If you choose a black piece but the program doesn't move, it means more than 1 white piece can be use to take that particular piece. You will need to click on the white piece and DRAG it to the position you want to move.
  2. Repeat the above if there are multiple takes.
  3. When your move ends, black piece will automatically move and THIS is your respond move to put back in the game.
  4. *Sometimes Achilles stop his move even if he can take more, in that case, you should use PASS.
  5. In late games where you have to move without taking pieces, this time you click on the White piece and click on the position you want to move.

(If you made a mistake moving, you can always use the UNDO button)

INSTRUCTION: HOW TO READ THE MOVE LOG

(Reminder: This requires you to enable Long move log format under options first)

If you couldn't figure out your respond move, you can use the move log as a reference. Here, it uses Column a to i and Row 5 to 1 to label the pieces and every step is outlined in the format of "Movement x taken pieces".

Thanks! Much appreciated!

What a handy tool to use. I agree with what someone else said, don't let this figure into your final score for Platinum, this trophy easily makes it a 9/10 game. And just to prove that point, it took this java program a couple tries to beat Achilles for me, the first time it went into a draw (which is the best I could do on my own). The second game was an absolute shellacking in only 5 moves.

Whoa... something amazing just happened. I couldn't figure out how to use the program exploit so I thought "ah fuck it I'll do it live" and started the game with Timothy for the first time, COMPLETELY ANNIHILATED HIM. It wasn't even a close match, I mopped the floor with him. Now let me just say I'm not good at chess games AT ALL. I don't know if Timothy is set to a lower difficulty or not, it still said "Expert" on the top left hand corner, but he's so much easier to defeat than Achilles for me. Perhaps losing hundreds of games to Achilles has made me a Fanorona grand master, or I was just incredibly lucky and the AI messed up.

If you're still having difficulties with or without using the program, try wait till after the endgame and play against Timothy instead.