View from Victoria Peak

Arcade23

Should look like this...

http://images.chinahighlights.com/attraction/hong-kong/victoria-peak/victoria-peak1.jpg

or like this, as advertised by the developers. (yes I know it's just art, not an actual in game image)

http://images.smh.com.au/2012/08/08/3537821/art-sleeping-dogs-sunset-620x349.jpg

Am I missing something? is there a secret path that takes you higher up, gives you a better view without the gate obstructing your view? no building resembling the bank of China?

Sorry I can't provide a picture but if you've played it, hopefully you know what I'm talking about and can maybe point me in the right direction...

It may be a stupid complaint to some, but this is a pretty big disappointment for me.

Edit: just to clarify, I know it's just a game and making the map resemble HK exactly would be very difficult from a technical stand point. I never expected it to look like the images above, but from where I'm standing at Victoria Peak in game, it's absolutely nothing like the real view from VP, if someone showed me an image from in game and asked me to name the location, I wouldn't know.

Edited by Arcade23

It certainly does seem like a stupid complaint. You know that it's not 100% to scale and the developers tried their best to be faithful, but if it's such a big deal to you then go see the view in real life. It's a sandbox game, not a scenic tour of Hong Kong.

Really?

Yes I know it's not to scale, as mentioned in my OP which you clearly didn't read. But something as important to Hong Kong as Victoria Peak to be represented so poorly is disappointing.

Really?

Yes I know it's not to scale, as mentioned in my OP which you clearly didn't read. But something as important to Hong Kong as Victoria Peak to be represented so poorly is disappointing.

I did read the OP, which is why this post seems so pointless to me. If you know that the game isn't 100% to scale, and therefore the view cannot be portrayed as accurately as a real life photograph, what exactly did you expect? What is the reason for this thread? I certainly don't think any less of the game because it isn't a complete replica of Hong Kong. You set your own expectations higher then United Front ever did. That's not their fault, and you set yourself up for disappointment.

Now that I've seen the in-game Victoria Peak (it was my first stop as soon as I could free-roam), I guess I understand your disappointment.

Having said that, the only problem I think, is the gate blocking the bloody view! From what I can see, it looks like a good enough representation of the actual view (with United Fronts compacted version of Hong kong), it's just a shame there's a stupid gate blocking the vista! Also gutted you can't use the viewfinders! United Front, please patch! :D

I did read the OP, which is why this post seems so pointless to me. If you know that the game isn't 100% to scale, and therefore the view cannot be portrayed as accurately as a real life photograph, what exactly did you expect? What is the reason for this thread? I certainly don't think any less of the game because it isn't a complete replica of Hong Kong. You set your own expectations higher then United Front ever did. That's not their fault, and you set yourself up for disappointment.

If the thread is pointless why bother coming back to comment? Might not be a let down for you, but it is for me. Should I have kept that to myself? just for your sake? I didn't think I'd be personally offending you by making this thread. You do seem quite butthurt about it.

Also, there's a big difference between not being 100% to scale and not being able to see shit because of a stupid gate obstructing the view, so it really has nothing to do with high expectations, Since I did mention something in my OP about not expecting it to be exactly like HK. Regardless, if you plan to continue being an asshole then just stay out of the thread please because my OP did have a question regarding my issue which was yet something else you chose to ignore.

Now that I've seen the in-game Victoria Peak (it was my first stop as soon as I could free-roam), I guess I understand your disappointment.

Having said that, the only problem I think, is the gate blocking the bloody view! From what I can see, it looks like a good enough representation of the actual view (with United Fronts compacted version of Hong kong), it's just a shame there's a stupid gate blocking the vista! Also gutted you can't use the viewfinders! United Front, please patch! :D

Thanks for agreeing with my perfectly legitimate disappointment! :)

Edited by Arcade23

I can totally understand your disappointment. It doesn't look like it does in the game art above, the entire area is closed off and you can barely see anything.

I hoped for a dirt path or track that would lead up to the mountains but I couldn't find any. I'm hoping that a mission later on in the game may be located up there and might open it up.

I did a video of it if anyone wants to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtSQIWyW-Vk

edit: how do you embed youtube videos ?

Edited by deanscottastley

Man, I've only just seen this old video of when Sleeping Dogs was True Crime: Hong Kong.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgtky5oxvSM]True Crime: Hong Kong Demo - IGN Live E3 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

Skip to around 2:00 and you'll see the original Victoria Peak, MUCH BETTER (the barrier I mean)! Why change it in the final game?

Man, I've only just seen this old video of when Sleeping Dogs was True Crime: Hong Kong.

Skip to around 2:00 and you'll see the original Victoria Peak, MUCH BETTER (the barrier I mean)! Why change it in the final game?

Probably because True Crime belonged to Activision and they canceled it, Square Enix/United Front brought it back to life and started from scratch so of course it wouldn't have been the same EXACT thing... At least they tried though right? This game was amazing nonetheless.

Probably because True Crime belonged to Activision and they canceled it, Square Enix/United Front brought it back to life and started from scratch so of course it wouldn't have been the same EXACT thing... At least they tried though right? This game was amazing nonetheless.

No way was Sleeping Dogs created from scratch after Square-Enix picked it up, it is essentially what TC:HK was going to be, but polished to hell. There are some huge changes, like the actual view of HK from Victoria Peak, but the peak itself looks very similar.

It's just odd to see they had a decent view and then stuck a great big gate there in the final game. Like I said before, it's not a big deal, frigging amazing game, got plenty of other things to ogle at!

Damn man, that's a good find...why in the hell did they change it? makes me sad.

and no yoda, they didn't start from scratch, the game was nearly done when they sold it to square and they just continued on from there.

Actaully it is a little disappointing. SD's Hong Kong is not a very good HK representation.

The Saboteur made an impressive representation of Paris, and being in some places in game certainly reminded me of actual Paris... it is not the case with Sleeping Dogs.

And I'm not saying anything bad, I loved every second of the game...even karaoke