Universal build tips for niob survival

Zakhaev

Here are some tips on how to create a build for any class to survive in niob difficulty.

- Mod defensive buff for chance to reflect close combat.

Chance to Reflect: Close Combat is available to every class in the form of a buff. Research your Combat Arts and their modifications very carefully. Make sure you choose the reflect close combat mod when modifying the buff. The Temple Guardian must choose certain mods to make the Combat Art reflect close combat as well as to make it a permanent buff. (e.g. Combat Alert turns into Battle Aura)

- Train cooresponding Focus skill for increasing buff levels.

To improve the reflect percentage on the buff, you need to train the appropriate focus skill. This will allow you to raise the level of the buff much higher, thus improving the chance to reflect. An example would be a Dryad training Nature Weaver Focus to raise Ancient Bark's level. Since the chance to reflect goes up with the buff's level, later in the game this can make any class nearly untouchable by most mobs.

- Get lots of health with consitution, vitality and/or items.

You will need lots and lots of health to survive Niob alone. Constitution is highly recommended, but you might be able to get enough health with lots of vitality and items if for some reason you cannot get constitution. 30,000 health or higher if you are around level 150+ should be enough. Even though you won't get hit very often by regular mobs with the reflect mod on your buff, you still want enough health to prevent being killed by one or two powerful hits from a boss. Bosses seem to have the natural ability to reduce/remove your chance to reflect.

- Decide on strategy for damage output.

Now that defense should be covered, you will need a good plan for offense. This can be as simple as training a weapon skill, tactics lore, and having a decent weapon. Casting builds require other methods to raise damage output, like raising the appropriate Lore skills or Combat Art levels. Good damage output can be achieved through many different ways, so this should be an easy one. Items are a great way to improve overall damage output for any build.

- Keep your gear up to par.

This one is basically common sense. Having gear appropriate to your level is a large factor for any character's survival. Bargaining and/or Enhanced Perception are helpful for getting better items as you progress, but they are not required. You don't want to be stuck on Niob with old set pieces you found 50 levels or more back. Armor Lore is a basic skill that almost every build should train at some point. You will need it to equip most of the armor you find. Since everything you kill will be higher level than you, most the armor you find will also be higher level.

With all that said, the recommended skills would look something like:

- Aspect Focus (for defensive buff)

- Constitution

- Armor Lore

- Tactics Lore

- Weapon Skill

- Concentration (optional, but 2 or even 3 buffs at once is nice)

- Enhanced Perception (optional)

- Bargaining (optional)

- Skill of choice

- Skill of choice

Not necessarily in that order. Of course some classes will have to get certain prerequisite skills. (e.g. Dryad would need Combat Reflexes to get Armor Lore or Constitution)

Now I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to create a perfectly viable Niob survivor, this is just based on what I have found from my own experiences. If anyone has any other tips or would like to expand on anything I have said, please feel free to share.

I don't claim to be an expert by any means, as I am constantly learning more about this game even after countless hours of playing. I just wanted to share my ideas and maybe see what others have found works for them. Thanks. :)

Chance to Reflect: Close Combat is available to every class in the form of a buff.

This is not true, some builds offer HP regens, some offer CA regens, not all classes offer Chance to Reflect: Close Combat (unless there is a hidden stat for any of the buffs available)

Also, you should only think about offensive and defensive in a way that will compliment your build. Some builds need more defense then offense and vise versa. The trick is to balance them in a way that your dealing more damage for builds that you shouldn't be in direct combat to begin with and taking less damage for tank characters that jump right into combat. It would be kind of silly to pump Chance to Reflect: Close Combat if you don't fight close to the enemies.

With all that said, the recommended skills would look something like:

- Aspect Focus (for defensive buff)

- Constitution

- Armor Lore

- Tactics Lore

- Weapon Skill

- Concentration (optional, but 2 or even 3 buffs at once is nice)

- Enhanced Perception (optional)

- Bargaining (optional)

- Skill of choice

- Skill of choice

This may work for your build, but it won't work for all builds. (not to mention the fact that you already referenced the difference between range and melee builds). Skills you choose are very important. If you choose the wrong ones, it can be very difficult to move on with your character. Not impossible, just difficult.

This game is very complex and it would be hard to judge the skills you take going in blind. To get the full potential out of your build, you should read how others focused on high level builds and read how difficult it was for them during their adventure.

I do want to say that some of this information can be useful if you take on a build like Zakhaev did. However, in my opinion, it's impossible to make a guide that supports all builds in higher levels because they all play very differently.

Great feedback Mason, I appreciate it. I didn't mean for it to be like a must do this to survive nioob thing, like I said, I'm sure there are plenty of other ways. This is just what I found works for me so far. The whole offensive defensive thing I couldn't agree more, entire guides could be written on that for every class. I tried to simplify it too much though.

I'm mostly curious what others have found works for them as a general rule. I do think it is possible to have a few guidelines that apply to every class though, the game is super complex, but each class has many similarities in what skills are effective.

Every class does have the ability to mod one of their buffs to reflect close combat. Thats why I said research all of your CAs and their mods carefully.

Here I will list them:

Seraphim- Battle Stance with Retaliation mod.

Dryad- Ancient Bark with Divert mod.

High Elf- Incandescent Skin with Revenge mod.

Shadow Warrior- Reflective Emination, mods not required.

Inquisitor- Reverse Polarity with Counterblow mod.

Temple Guardian- Combat Alert with Reposte & Permanent mods.

The % chance on the reflect goes up on each of those as the CA is leveled. At higher levels this will make it very hard for any melee mob to land a hit, and most will kill themselves just trying to attack you.

Seraphim- Battle Stance with Retaliation mod.

Dryad- Ancient Bark with Divert mod.

High Elf- Incandescent Skin with Revenge mod.

Shadow Warrior- Reflective Emination, mods not required.

Inquisitor- Reverse Polarity with Counterblow mod.

Temple Guardian- Combat Alert with Reposte & Permanent mods.

Good to know ;)

The more I think about it, this should have just been about the reflect mods. The rest is either common sense or completely optional depending on your build. Sorry I'm not good and writing guides, lol. This was mostly to get discussion going about niob builds.

The list of skills I put should be used as an example only. If you were to make a skill list that is truly universal, all 10 would be skill of choice. ;)

If I remade that list I would say only 2 skills are remotely required. That's whatever aspect focus for the CA buff that has reflect, and Armor Lore. Not sure how many builds succeed without armor lore, but I imagine it would make life extremely difficult. The other 8 skills could be anything.

Even then, I'm sure you could still not take either one of those and make some other build that had no problems surviving niob. There is no 100% perfect build, each one will have its upsides and downsides. (some more than others)

Reflect CC isn't required to survive niob, but having it makes the entire game seem like its on easy mode. Without it, around end of plat and into niob, stuff starts to hit really hard and really fast unless you have extreme evade chance or some kind of special defense.

I've had a few ranged characters that tried to avoid close combat whenever possible, but it seems like there are way too many melee mob types to avoid it. Every character I have played gets surrounded by melee mobs on a regular basis. They might not live long enough to hurt me, but they definitely get close enough to attack.

Run & gun style to keep distance would only work for me in certain areas with fewer mobs. If I slowly creep ahead and kill things as they approach the edge of the screen, that works fairly well, but is a bit slow and boring. :)

Thanks.

Edited by Zakhaev