Trophy hunting Impact on u ?

Mjuventino

trophies have ruined gaming for serious trophy hunters

before u bought games that u liked or got good reviews and u played them a lot... if a game was rubbish u simply didn't buy it.. or if u got it and then played it and realised it was a crap fest, u threw it in the trash within 10 mins of starting

now, we buy games based on their trophy lists.. we buy bad games with easy platinums... avoid good games with hard platinums... buy games but don't play it until a guide is written because we want to achieve platinum as efficiently and shortly as possible

we suffer ourselves through excessive grinding, farming pointless collectibles, boosting to maximum rank in boring online games and all sorts of stupid activities that we NEVER did pre-trophies

trophies have turned a relaxing hobby into work... ppl have spreadsheets, deadlines, all these tools that are used just to get plat as soon as possible so we can move on to the next game

i'm a level 21 with 70 plats.. and i admire guys like smithy reborn who can just say fuck it and chuck there old high ranking trophy account and just start over

as much as i hate trophies sometimes it tickles the ocd part of my brain and i just cant stop... i HAVE to platinum every game i play.. and i simply don't have the balls to start over fresh and lose my account that i've poured countless hours into...

maybe i'll have better luck for ps4... :(

i think this is true for some but personaly i still buy games that have a hard platinum, i'd rather experience a good game then not because of the trophy list, makes no sense

also, if i find a game that i think looks alright (an average game) and it has a a really hard trophy list, then i simply wont buy it, ill save my money and buy something better.

something like max payne 3, MK9 or 3d dot game heros, are a really hard platinum yet ill still buy them because i know there brilliant games.

Edited by BlakeyBlake999

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trophies definatly affect my mind because i'm constantly thinking what i have left in a game to do and i find i'm more anxious to get home from work to work on games and it makes me less patient at work. *terrible sentence*

similarily i hate having to stop my gaming session when i'm only a trophy or two away from the platinum and it makes whatever is interupting me so annoying becaue in my mind i know what i would rather be doing.

before u bought games that u liked or got good reviews and u played them a lot... if a game was rubbish u simply didn't buy it.. or if u got it and then played it and realised it was a crap fest, u threw it in the trash within 10 mins of starting

now, we buy games based on their trophy lists.. we buy bad games with easy platinums... avoid good games with hard platinums... buy games but don't play it until a guide is written because we want to achieve platinum as efficiently and shortly as possible

we suffer ourselves through excessive grinding, farming pointless collectibles, boosting to maximum rank in boring online games and all sorts of stupid activities that we NEVER did pre-trophies

trophies have turned a relaxing hobby into work... ppl have spreadsheets, deadlines, all these tools that are used just to get plat as soon as possible so we can move on to the next game

i'm a level 21 with 70 plats.. and i admire guys like smithy reborn who can just say fuck it and chuck there old high ranking trophy account and just start over

as much as i hate trophies sometimes it tickles the ocd part of my brain and i just cant stop... i HAVE to platinum every game i play.. and i simply don't have the balls to start over fresh and lose my account that i've poured countless hours into...

I couldn't have better worded this myself. This is how I feel basically 100% only good thing for me is that I am severely LAZY when it comes to getting a platinum. Only reason I do trophy hunting it because it's slightly fun for some trophies and well OCD compels me that I need it. Once I find a way to turn something so overwhelming into a fun hobby instead of a mission it won't be so bad. Also I don't buy games depending on their platinum difficulty. I personally love LOST PLANET 2, and I know from how the task to platinum goes for the game, I will never get it, but I still enjoy the game. :) I spend my money on what I like.

P.S. if I find myself being corrupted by the trophies to where they are invading my personal time and not spare time, I'll stop gaming on PS3 for a week or so as to not be tempted to go for a platinum. I'll switch over to wii and play Twilight Princess or grind on Monster Hunter Tri some more.

Edited by Vulfdrek

This is really well put and I do agree for most of it because I think about this all the time as well, will think back to the PS2 games and remember just loving so many games and playing them with no thought otherwise. Trophies, in a way, have ruined gaming. BUT, in a way (as well), trophies have made gaming better. In the end it is personal preference and its also based on the person getting the trophies and how that person specifically acts towards them.

I have 110 Platinums and 6200+ trophies and I go out of my way to find time in my schedules of work, family, girlfriend and friends (besides the fact that my girlfriend loves games as much as me and trophy hunts as well). I also do look at Trophy Lists as much as I do for Reviews/Previews on GT.com. I do have a small Spreadsheet I enjoy to watch say "Completed" beside games while also seeing that little Blue Icon beside my Game Names in my Trophy Collection on the PS3. However, the only time I wait for Guides is for RPG's because in most RPG's there are some things that can come up and ruin the ability to get a said trophy and RPG' are obviously very long experiences, can reeeeally suck to lose 50 hours over 1 Bronze cause i didn't know about it before hand, however I wont spoil the story for myself, I just make myself aware of the specific "Missable" trophy.

I do buy a lot of games and I do give games that look Average or "might" have some potential in being fun or unique a good chance. But if a game is crap or kiddy I won't get it. I had a time 2 years ago when I thought of getting a Blockbuster Game Pass and just doing a month of super easy platinums in the Summer... I did UP and Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs and couldn't do it anymore, after those to platinums I got sick of it already. Now its just games I enjoy (however I do "enjoy" many games, Im not nitpicky for games what-so-ever). I wont not buy a game or judge it completely by the games trophy list being super hard, I have done platinums like Armored Core 5 and loved doing it. I also boost games but not very often, I'm not one of those people that boosts game after game cause I know it isn't fun, I also don't boost games if they are active online games like Medal of Honor, Battlefield 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations (I boosted Brotherhood cause I got to the game really late and the servers are mostly dead). I'll only boost if I absolutely don't like the online or the servers are dead and renders it impossible legit.

I don't think Trophies have Ruined or Improved gaming, but I do think that it has kept its happy medium considering most trophy lists get you to get the most out of your 60 bucks.

People like that Duck360 (and NOOO Im not pointing any fingers at him, before the overly sensitive people feel like attacking me for it...) or the other people who go ape shit over every game there is to platinum, well... A lot can be said about them cause who knows... They use multiple people on 1 account, buy 3+ PS3's just to boost faster, possible hackers (we couldn't really know behind closed doors I guess), etc.

Lol sorry for the long post, but felt like adding to the convo I guess :whistle:

you need to go outside... :/

well I'm the whole day outside and work from 9 am to 8 pm so thats not a reason just another provocation perhaps

trophy hunters are not all the 24/7 playing type , I was talking about how this hobby affect my plans nowadays , fellow gamers here made a good point , we're not obsessed to the extend of that everything comes after gaming but while working on a plat I intend to take that into consideration and plan according to that , its not just gaming anymore but an essential part of the day

I'm still having a lot of fun playing games and u wont find ever in my list a cheap or crappy game just for platinum , but sometimes I have less fun when I'm forced just like others said to endure a torture like 10k in resistance or SF4 trials , if it wasnt for trophies I would have stopped playing a long time ago , instead I find myself adding another month not for fun but for the Plat ...

well I'm the whole day outside and work from 9 am to 8 pm so thats not a reason just another provocation perhaps

trophy hunters are not all the 24/7 playing type , I was talking about how this hobby affect my plans nowadays , fellow gamers here made a good point , we're not obsessed to the extend of that everything comes after gaming but while working on a plat I intend to take that into consideration and plan according to that , its not just gaming anymore but an essential part of the day

I'm still having a lot of fun playing games and u wont find ever in my list a cheap or crappy game just for platinum , but sometimes I have less fun when I'm forced just like others said to endure a torture like 10k in resistance or SF4 trials , if it wasnt for trophies I would have stopped playing a long time ago , instead I find myself adding another month not for fun but for the Plat ...

Yeah, but you know, at the end of the day... Trophies is a hobby of ours that we like to do and damn well enjoy. Sometimes it will be a chore cause nothing in the world is pure fun lol, but mostly we do enjoy it.

A hobby is a hobby. Whether you get trophies, play CoD religiously, build cars in your garage, paint figurines or paintings, collect things, make music, animate things for YouTube, do reviews or guides on the side, write poetry/novels/quotations, or just stare at the god damn stars LOL. No matter what it is, in some way shape or form it is the thing that person loves to do and if its a hobby then damn straight your going to make time for it and its going to become part of your schedule.

If people feel like being a douche bag and saying that you shouldn't do it... It simply means that person doesn't have the passion and enjoyment in what you enjoy to do as a hobby and also... doesn't have a clue what respect is lol. Those people, including ourselves, don't have the right to judge others for it. Plain and Simple. :D

Well on the one hand I now put more hours into the games I get because of the trophies meaning I'm at least getting my moneys worth.

At the same time, it's sort of taking the fun out of it. Now I can't just go in a shop see a game for cheap and buy it, I have to see how hard the trophies are gonna be first. Hours upon hours of my life have been wasted over pointless trophies.

I've played games that I can't stand or never wanted to play because of trophies.

Its a little obsession of my mine thats had its pros and cons, I've become worse for it overtime.

• 4 months later...

I have a few things to say on this matter

Ive lost 3 years of my life and you need to ask yourself how many years of your precious lives have you actually wasted? When you are old and laying in your death bed............wishing you had one more day. Think about it. Life is too short to brush family, work, gym and other things aside for trophies.

Another note on trophies. Once you start researching games on these trophy sites BEFORE you purchase something. Then there is a problem. If you dont see it you are as addicted as I was. Endless grinding. For what? A friend on PSN to send a "Congrats on your klatest Plat" and the only reason anyone gave a shit to send you a message is because you had to put it into your comment?

Another note. How many times have you used youtube or the guides here to get a trophy? Dont say never. That ultimately means you are taking credit for another gamers example in the form of a trophy and passing it off as your own. All we did was "copy" what another has done. No pride in that.

I recently did a mass delete keeping only a handful of my oldest, faceless PSN friends to occasionally coop with. if that even happens.

I was so addicted and so CONSUMED with my next plat that rarely did I enjoy the game I was currently playing and to be honest with you endless grinding and boosting (im guilty of both) is pathetic. Forcing yourself to waste countless hours for a trophy. Dont forget life is short and play games that you love regardless of trophies.

Quit the whoring. Seriously. Its ruined gaming. If I hear another person say "Im getting my moneys worth" because of trophies Ill just sit here and laugh. If a dev puts in an achievement for hitting "X" 350 times.......are you getting your moneys worth? No.

Ive played Deus EX 5 times since plat. As recently as yesterday. It was nice to speed run on easy and really take in the world without having to dig thru every corner or turn over every box looking for the hundreds of collectibles that have been injected into games. Or having to make a thread on here to get 9 other people to boost pistol kills for 3 nights in a row only to then move onto every other gun in the inventory. Moneys worth........please.

Its lame and I had a horrible addiction, one that I have broken and moved on. Im not preaching as each person will have to hit bottom before you realise it.

I just didnt want to get old and regret wasting my life collecting trophies as Im taking my last breath. Im sure in no way is "trophy hunting" in anyones bucket list.

I quit and will only play for fun and if I get trophies along the way itll only be a reminder of how pathetic I was

For me, there are many other important priorities in life for me.

So for trophy hunting, I only play games that I like, I don't go for games that have easy plats for the sake of it.

On a side note, do you guys sell off the games you have platted? Or do you still keep them?

I sell them off as I can't think of any reason to keep them as i know i wont be playing them again down the road. Games this days not worth keeping unlike PS1&PS2 era.

I have a few things to say on this matter

I've lost 3 years of my life and you need to ask yourself how many years of your precious lives have you actually wasted? When you are old and laying in your death bed............wishing you had one more day. Think about it. Life is too short to brush family, work, gym and other things aside for trophies.

Another note on trophies. Once you start researching games on these trophy sites BEFORE you purchase something. Then there is a problem. If you dont see it you are as addicted as I was. Endless grinding. For what? A friend on PSN to send a "Congrats on your klatest Plat" and the only reason anyone gave a shit to send you a message is because you had to put it into your comment?

Another note. How many times have you used youtube or the guides here to get a trophy? Dont say never. That ultimately means you are taking credit for another gamers example in the form of a trophy and passing it off as your own. All we did was "copy" what another has done. No pride in that.

I'm not sure I agree with your points- I can see where you're coming from, but the arguments you use for them could be applied to any number of things.

If you're not having fun collecting trophies the obviously don't bother- it's as simple as that- I agree with you on that.

But I wouldn't call my time used collecting trophies as a waste- I mean, by the same logic, how much of peoples lives have been spent spending time reading a book or watching a film? I wouldn't call that time wasted if you enjoy it and trophy hunting is just that- a hobby.

In regards to your youtube comment, that's just silly. You still have to physically perform the actions- so you're saying if you cook a meal based on a youtube video you can't really take pride in it? Following instructions or tips is different from straight up plagarism.

Overall, if you like collecting trophies, do it. But I wouldn't consider my time wasted collecting them- not one bit.

Being a 360 guy, I've always loved achievements - it adds so much more to the game. I'll play through games numerous times (the ones I like anyway) on harder difficulty levels to get them.

However, I do NOT boost - I've earned all my stuff legit. I'm not a fan of standing in a spot to rack up headshot kills etc. and neither are my friends. I malways enjoying getting them honestly and sometimes randomly.....it's a great addition to gaming.

I'm not judging those that do boost....just not my cup of tea, that's all.

So far, I've only got 1 trophy......GT 5. :)

I see my trophy addiction in a trophy whoring chart , in which it started slow, then just got bigger and bigger , till i got to the point in which i have bought suposedly easy games just to get that plat as soon as possible. Not enjoying the game at all, just getting that chore done. Lately, few months back , coincidentaly since PS Plus started to give away games, i have been playing for curiosity many of the games given, and i challenge myself to finish the game and possibily get the platinum

Not running in any competition, just trying to get these challenges done. But i know what people mean when they talk about searching / thinking of strategies in their work breaks or in public transportations, that though of gaining the trophy always in mind...

For instance i went to bed last night after playing dead island, and went dreaming about it , till i woke up tired as fuck from running from zombies... Thats just how it is...

Old thread :o

____

The only impact trophies has on me is the fact every game I play now I have to bore my self for many many hours. I've just lost my interest in actually getting them, I've done way too many games across Xbox and here. Feels more like a damn chore, especially when you play something boring that just pisses you off (BLACK OPS 2 CHALLENGES)

everything in moderation, anything can become an addiction. i have a wife and 2 sons so my gaming time has been drastically reduced. when i do have the time, i play games i like, then i play for trophies. i use the list a lot and buy games accordingly but now have a huge back log. depends what mood i'm in, i'll play for trophies for a month or so, then i'll play for fun, then i'll watch movies. but family and job always come first, and get in some sports and going out with friends. life is too short to just game, but it is my main hobby.

By quickly glancing over the trophy cards posting in this thread......am I the only one who is level 30+?

Reason I ask is because from level 1-25 I was loving the idea of trophies.

120 plats reallly burned me out and I saw the real picture. If I were to get a plat every two months over a 3 year period Id certainly see it not impacting me as bad. Throw in 100+ psn games on top of that........moderation is good BUT were only hearing from people who are relatively lower in regards to trophy levels.

Lets hear from some high level trophy collectors and see if they are as happy in their lives as they were at level 10 or 15 or 20

I became a bit of a trophy addict, my 25ish plats are all in the last year and a bit, which is pretty good for me, especially considering I am playing other games and going to school at the time.

I have full acknowledged my love of trophies, and decided that I would put it to some use. I always wanted to learn japanese, so I started teaching myself, and have bought a couple of games for the ps3/vita which I am going to use to test my knowledge and make sure I keep teaching myself until I know it properly. So here is hoping something good comes from it!

Wow is this so true!

For me I consider hunting trophies like a second job (one that doesn't pay very well). I have lets say a "checkered past" and I started playing to keep my ass out of trouble. Now its pretty much all I do when I'm home. I've always been a gamer since I was a kid, but trophies just make me go out of my way to do something in a game I would normally not do. Anyways thats just me.:D

I like to read threads like this to see I am not the only crazy person. Do you every think about how crazy your friends and family would think you were if they knew all the stuff you do for trophies. Like putting a rubber band or tape on your controller to grind out a trophy. Or printing out a collectable map and crossing off each item you collect. Or playing AC Brotherhood online slapping each other on the back to get to level 50. I could go on and on.

Then if you think about it your trophy card means nothing to anybody you know outside of other gamers, even they don't really care that much about your trophy card. It is still fun though. :p