The NYM HC FAIL Thread

hawknz

Yeh still own the game. Will have obviously forgotton most of the run now, but im sure ill remember some bits if i did return to it - it just took so long to get through.

Might do it for old time sake and see how far I get. I remember having to be careful in the graveyard area and always got caught out in other random areas. But unlike the chapter 13 level if you get killed in certain area you can usually adjust your gameplay and avoid risks the next time through.

Chapter 13 I kept tryin different approaches but it still froze most of the time. Couldnt work out what the issue was.

Would have been my rarest trophies, but ive got a trophy on 'Don't Starve' that just tops that for rarity anyway.

Was this where you are running into the building before you had to move to the right as people were across on top of another building?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh still own the game. Will have obviously forgotton most of the run now, but im sure ill remember some bits if i did return to it - it just took so long to get through.

Might do it for old time sake and see how far I get. I remember having to be careful in the graveyard area and always got caught out in other random areas. But unlike the chapter 13 level if you get killed in certain area you can usually adjust your gameplay and avoid risks the next time through.

Chapter 13 I kept tryin different approaches but it still froze most of the time. Couldnt work out what the issue was.

Would have been my rarest trophies, but ive got a trophy on 'Don't Starve' that just tops that for rarity anyway.

If you decide to try again I think you should back up your save then delete the game data then reinstall the game. That may end the freezing on chapter 13. Or try playing unpatched. Obviously it could still freeze somewhere else but that may end your repetitive freeze.

Attempt 8 - This had me speechless, emotionless looking at the screen. A problem I thought I had figured out but no. Chapter 8 where you run down the hill and take out the 6 or so enemies by the vehicles, after Passos takes a shot then runs. If you stay still and don't move down Passos gets cut scene killed so I always move forward. I was moving forward killed them in one blast with the grenade launcher but Passos still got killed in the cutscene. I know this is a site where we mind our manners so I'll hold back the language I wana use! (unlike when I got my first NYMHC freeze)

I dunno how to prevent this fail from happening in future. I thought moving forward was all you had to do to avoid Passos's death.

Kfree with your experience in this game do you know how to avoid that? Or is it a glitch? Because I remember in practice in score attack I was getting constant unavoidable Passos deaths there one day.

Attempt 8 - This had me speechless, emotionless looking at the screen. A problem I thought I had figured out but no. Chapter 8 where you run down the hill and take out the 6 or so enemies by the vehicles, after Passos takes a shot then runs. If you stay still and don't move down Passos gets cut scene killed so I always move forward. I was moving forward killed them in one blast with the grenade launcher but Passos still got killed in the cutscene. I know this is a site where we mind our manners so I'll hold back the language I wana use! (unlike when I got my first NYMHC freeze)

I dunno how to prevent this fail from happening in future. I thought moving forward was all you had to do to avoid Passos's death.

Kfree with your experience in this game do you know how to avoid that? Or is it a glitch? Because I remember in practice in score attack I was getting constant unavoidable Passos deaths there one day.

This originally when first starting this trophy, was one of my toughest places for me. So don't beat yourself up too bad Chris. You have to be quick. The key here is simple. Fast and accurate. There is no other secret on this part. It's a timed event actually that you have to do complete the section before the cutscene death. You can feel like you are doing well and there is some internal timer that causes death anyway. Just be fast and accurate. The reason you were having constant fails is the fact that you were not clearing out the area fast enough.

Damn that sounds like a new one. If you go back 5 or 10 pages you will see all my stupid fails but I never had that one. I used the Grenade Launcher too, however from memory there's still a couple of guys that hide up on the left, kinda behind trees or something. I guess the best option is to keep trying it in NYM mode or maybe just normal to find out what you're doing wrong.

Also, this level helped me realise that dual wielding is much better, when I first started doing it I was 50-50 whether I would pass, it was the hardest level for me, but after I started dual wielding I passed it most times.

I put in some practice to see how that chapter 8 passos death happens. Then went for my next NYMHC attempt. I forgot to mention, killed Fabiana by mistake yesterday too so this is attempt 10 officially. It was a personal best, chapter 13, died in the boss fight. I was playing too slow. Had 12 minutes on the clock at chapter 7 but I must have thought I could play slow from then on. Big mistake, I gotta play fast or it's gonna go wrong. At the boss fight fail I was shooting at the light above his head with less than 1 minute on the clock so I knew I'd have no chance at Chapter 14, baring in mind how fast you need to play that chapter in regular NYM.

But I take the positive from it. If I can make it to that point in future with some reasonable time on the clock I could finally get this done.

Attempt 11 - Graphics were bugging out on chapter 2 and one door wouldn't open for a few seconds. Then on chapter 3 the graphics totally went wrong so couldn't continue.

Attempt 12 - Killed Giovanna in the usual place in chapter 2 (corner of the catwalk). Just found out it's her your covering from the heli not Fabiana.

On attempt 13 now at chapter 7. This chapter is the worst for glitches in my experience. Graphics bugging out, T-posing enemies, voice audio not playing and game ending glitches. Looked like my run was over just now because the enemies wouldn't spawn on the balcony when I was in the room with the scoped AK, the scoped AK, painkillers and ammo didn't spawn either. But I paused the game for 2 minutes then it fixed itself. So I'm not confident the game will stay playable for the rest of the run. This game takes the piss.

Edit: Finished chapter 7, then chapter 8 took 5 minutes to load. Then in the part where you have to shoot the van driver the van was invisible. 5 seconds later Passos gets cutscene killed by the van. If you've experienced NYMHC glitches you know what I'm thinking, this trophy is bullshit. So much time you gotta waste because R* couldn't/wouldn't fix there broken game.

Edited by ChrisDMFv2

1 - Chapter 3 failed covering Passos

2 - Chapter 7 freeze

3 - Chapter 3 last stand ran out of bullets fast

4 - Chapter 7 blown up by gas bottle

5 - Chapter 2 failed covering Giovanna

6 - Chapter 8 killed by sniper

7 - Chapter 9 killed by flying over helicopter

8 - Chapter 8 Passos cutscene death on hill

9 - Chapter 2 failed covering Giovanna

10 - Chapter 13 boss death

11- Chapter 3 graphics bugged out couldn't continue

12 - Chapter 2 failed covering Giovanna

13 - Chapter 8 Van was invisible, cutscene killed Passos

14 - Accomplished!

The shadows rushed me is definitely the hardest trophy I ever earned so I'm relieved it's over. The more I played the better I got. I got to the point where I'd never die in a gun fight. When you know where the painkillers are and how to manage your ammo your only at risk in insta fail sections or from glitches/freezes. But the glitches were killing the fun of the challenge. I was thinking I'd have to reinstall the game because in chapter 7 on my successful run and the run before that I was having to pause the game in every new area to let the graphics load in.

All the way to the final boss fight I didn't feel pressure because honestly I thought it would freeze or I'd insta fail somewhere. Got to the final boss and hoped I'd see every one of his grenades come at me (one did hit my cover) then I was bricking it thinking what if I missed the plane. My first two shots missed! But the third and fourth took it out. My blood went cold and I shrieked lol.

I've always been in awe of anyone who earned this trophy, now I'm proud to be one of them.

Edited by ChrisDMFv2

2 - Chapter 7 freeze

14 - Accomplished!

The shadows rushed me is definitely the hardest trophy I ever earned so I'm relieved it's over. The more I played the better I got. I got to the point where I'd never die in a gun fight. When you know where the painkillers are and how to manage your ammo your only at risk in insta fail sections or from glitches/freezes. But the glitches were killing the fun of the challenge. I was thinking I'd have to reinstall the game because in chapter 7 on my successful run and the run before that I was having to pause the game in every new area to let the graphics load in.

All the way to the final boss fight I didn't feel pressure because honestly I thought it would freeze or I'd insta fail somewhere. Got to the final boss and hoped I'd see every one of his grenades come at me (one did hit my cover) then I was bricking it thinking what if I missed the plane. My first two shots missed! But the third and fourth took it out. My blood went cold and I shrieked lol.

I've always been in awe of anyone who earned this trophy, now I'm proud to be one of them.

Congrats, you've earned that!! :applause:

2 - Chapter 7 freeze

14 - Accomplished!

Nicely done man!

• 6 months later...

I can't believe the reasons that I've failed so far. And those are mostly not in-game reasons.

Attempt 1: Mostly a test run, failed in Chapter 5 Part 1. I got downed with 0 ammo loaded in shotgun and while in Last Standing, Max couldn't fire any shots or reload. Served as a great reminer to reload before the magazine goes entirely empty in every gun.

Attempt 2: Failed again in Chapter 5 Part 1. This time I got one shotted by a grenade. Learned to be more careful in sessions with grenades.

Attempt 3: Failed in Chapter 7 at the very end with the rocket launcher. I had no idea what happened exactly, I was trying to shoot the rocket, but Max returned to cover, got out of cover then rolled away and the rocket killed. I swear I have no idea what the hell happened in this attempt, but it left me staring in the screen trying to calm myself so I would not break the controller and the screen. This would have ended in a failure anyway, because of...

Attempt 4 & 5: Failed in Chapter 3 and Chapter 12... and it was because our house lost power for a single second. That's all it took, one second to lose everything. I didn't mind the 4th attempt as it was near the beginning and it was shortly after the 3rd one. But the 5th attempt hurt a lot. I was right about to get to the rooftop section at the end of the chapter. Only 2 chapters away and it was going perfect. Then bam, power goes off for one second and PS3 shuts down. It's times like this that I wish the PS consoles had a backup battery for shit like this.

All the way to the final boss fight I didn't feel pressure because honestly, I thought it would freeze or I'd insta fail somewhere. Got to the final boss and hoped I'd see every one of his grenades come at me (one did hit my cover) then I was bricking it thinking what if I missed the plane. My first two shots missed! But the third and fourth took it out. My blood went cold and I shrieked lol.

Just saw this. Bravo on getting this done.

I can't believe the reasons that I've failed so far. And those are mostly not in-game reasons.

Attempt 1: Mostly a test run, failed in Chapter 5 Part 1. I got downed with 0 ammo loaded in shotgun and while in Last Standing, Max couldn't fire any shots or reload. Served as a great reminer to reload before the magazine goes entirely empty in every gun.

Attempt 2: Failed again in Chapter 5 Part 1. This time I got one shotted by a grenade. Learned to be more careful in sessions with grenades.

Attempt 3: Failed in Chapter 7 at the very end with the rocket launcher. I had no idea what happened exactly, I was trying to shoot the rocket, but Max returned to cover, got out of cover then rolled away and the rocket killed. I swear I have no idea what the hell happened in this attempt, but it left me staring in the screen trying to calm myself so I would not break the controller and the screen. This would have ended in a failure anyway, because of...

Attempt 4 & 5: Failed in Chapter 3 and Chapter 12... and it was because our house lost power for a single second. That's all it took, one second to lose everything. I didn't mind the 4th attempt as it was near the beginning and it was shortly after the 3rd one. But the 5th attempt hurt a lot. I was right about to get to the rooftop section at the end of the chapter. Only 2 chapters away and it was going perfect. Then bam, power goes off for one second and PS3 shuts down. It's times like this that I wish the PS consoles had a backup battery for shit like this.

Awe. That stinks. Power outage robbed you. Keep at it and get it done.

Awe. That stinks. Power outage robbed you. Keep at it and get it done.

Hey thanks. I thought about taking a break after so many attempts in a single day, but I wanted to try once more. And I'm glad I did, cause attempt 6 was the one.

I consider myself very lucky as I didn't experience any glitches or freezes during any of my NYMHC runs, something that worried me from various comments in this forum. The only thing I had to fight was my own nervousness especially during the last two chapters. At the very final section when I had to shoot the plane, I had to pause for a while as I kept missing the first couple of shots and I was about to panic.

I'm glad that's over. One of the toughest trophies I have obtained but certainly not the hardest. Good luck to everyone else still trying.

• 10 months later...

1. ran out of time in chapter 3

2. missed enemy during sniper section in chapter 2. Giovanna got killed

3. accidentally shot Giovanna in sniper section chapter 2

4. last man stand and couldn't find the enemy in chapter 8

5. accidentally shot Fabiana in the boat in chapter 5

6. ran out of painkillers in the office shootout in chapter 6 and got killed

7. ran out of ammo in chapter 3 and got killed

8. killed by sniper in chapter 8

9. missed driver during jeep QTE in chapter 6. Got ran over

10. ran out of ammo in chapter 3 and got killed

11. ran out of ammo in chapter 13 and got killed

12. ran out of ammo in chapter 3 and got killed

13. ran out of ammo in chapter 3 and got killed

14. ran out of ammo in chapter 3 and got killed

15. fell off pier after zip line in chapter 11

16. got killed in chapter 5 (was having an off game since the start)

17. last man stand couldn't find the enemy in chapter 13

18. SUCCESS!

looking back.. chapters 3, 8 and 13 gave me the most trouble. as soon as I passed 13 it was smooth sailing.. even tho I only had roughly 37 seconds left by the time I got to the last hanger boss fight lol

• 3 weeks later...

18. SUCCESS!

looking back.. chapters 3, 8 and 13 gave me the most trouble. as soon as I passed 13 it was smooth sailing.. even tho I only had roughly 37 seconds left by the time I got to the last hanger boss fight lol

Wow I didn't know you only had 37 seconds left in the run! I'd be shitting my pants with that little time left! :eek:

I had over 14 minutes left when I finished my run! :rofl: Started the level with over 20 so I was able to take my time and not rush into danger. :p

Congrats again on completion!

Last time I played this game, years ago, it was glitchy AF. But you inspired me to at least consider revisiting this game. If I ever get to it lol, I'll def do a few runs of chapters 3/8/13 first.

I would also do the first part of Chapter 10 as well, and the intro to chapter 14.

Do 10 because the first fight at the bus stop can be annoying. There's always one grenade spammer that somehow tends to throw a grenade right on you. My 2nd run ended because I dove headfirst right onto one even though the indicator was in a different spot prior. :(

As for chapter 14, practice the very first area in the baggage claim. I ran out of bullets and medkits with one enemy left on my successful run, and I dove forward and managed to get into the next room to pick up a few bullets, which allowed me to survive with just a sliver of health left! I would've been so pissed if my run ended right there!

• 9 months later...

Let's revive a bit this thread. 
kfree congrats on achieveing your NYMHC on your 44th attempt, you have nerves of steel!

Onto my fails now:

1) Accidentally killed Passos in Chapter 3 when I was aiming an enemy, this happened in the room where Passos interrogates the guy wounded in the chair;
2) No enemies spawned in Chapter 7, this was my fault for rushing and killing the two enemies that will spot you when going up the stairs;
3) Killed Fabiana in Chapter 5 - Part 2 during the final part... the funny thing is that I was aiming at the enemy and the crosshair was red! Yet the shot killed the girl... maybe due of bullet penetration?;
4) Bad start in Chapter 10, ran out of painkillers during the first part inside the bus, then got killed after shootdodging in the part with the gas station and all the enemy outside the compound;
5) Killed by a grenade just at the start of Chapter 9, I was trying to avoid it but Max ended up in "crouch position" and I "struggled" to get him to stand up and dodge the explosive;
6) Killed by the guy with the gray coat in Chapter 4 - Part 1, he put me in last chance (while I had full health) and couldn't locate him with all that smoke coming up from the burnt vehicles;
7) Killed by my own grenade in Chapter 13 while trying to kill the armored cop, I was aiming from the cover (not blind fire), yet when I've fired the grenade, it bounced off the edge of the cover and exploded in the ceiling;
8 ) Passos got killed by the mobster in Chapter 8 because Max couldn't vault over a low wall and I was awkardly trying to force him doing so;
9) MY SUCCESFULL ATTEMPT WITH A CLOSE CALL DURING THE VERY LAST FIGHT... A DAMNED GRENADE ALMOST KILLED ME!

My succesfull run was uploaded on YouTube. Had some close calls but I wasn't nervous until I've unlocked the trophy, then I was shaking.

Edited by LoStraniero91

• 3 weeks later...

Just got to the last level and the boss shot two grenades at me one after another, second one killed me and I had 8 pills left. I'm gutted. Took me over 3 hours and this was my fourth attempt. I will not be trying it again.

I think this trophy has just made me re-evaluate what on earth i'm doing trophy hunting. I'm all for a challenge but not when it's a test of pure endurance, games get a bad enough rap as it is with regards to being an unhealthy addiction without devs encouraging people to sit and play one for over 3 hours (likely again and again), quite frankly they should be banned or regulated.

Dead Space and Evil Within had their hardest modes perfectly implemented - Akumu mode was brutal but you had checkpoints (I ended with over 300 deaths!), Dead Space and Evil Within 2 gave you limited save points to assist, and they were far from easy to do themselves. This though is just insane, and has absolutely nothing to do with skill, it's luck and patience.

New York Minute was tough but fair, New York Minute Hardcore is just ridiculous and not worth the stress or time.

This mode is broken. And by that I don't mean the actual difficulty but actually the game code. I know lost two times because the game glitched on me. One was early in chapter 7 where suddenly bullet time didn't want to activate even thoguh I had a full gauge. This is not a one time occurance as it happened in my later attempt in chapter 4 again (only here it didn't make me lose the game). The second time the game broke was early in chapter 8 where the final enemy disappeared in front of my eyes, becoming invisible and couldn't be shot while he could shoot me. I had 4 pain killers stacked but I didn't go in last man standing mode and was dead right away instead. 

Honestly, this mode is tough as it is even if it's running well. And if I die because of my own stupidity (like in my first run where at the very end of Chapter 5 II I accidentaly shot the girl😅) then it might be annoying that I failed but then I just have to step up my game. But if the game breaks then this is really some utterly frustrating shit. Of four serious attempts I failed two because the game glitched on me. This is honestly super unfair and I don't honestly don't even know if it's worth to go through all that crap again and again if the game just decides to take a dump on you. I know it's a nice challenge and all but for crap like this there really should have been a possibility to back up save your game. Don't come up with a challenge like this if it doesn't run properly! 

Edited by Ivotas

• 6 months later...
On 9/3/2020 at 7:41 PM, honda hoe said:

18. SUCCESS!

decided to replay this for shits and giggles on series x

took me only 2 attempts

(Passos ran in front of me in chapter 11 🙄 and got killed)

completed it easily the second try