Broken PS3? YLOD? Tips, tricks and facts.

Aidan

Nope, still doesn't eject.

If you've done all that, and spammed the eject button while the fans are blowing the wallpaper from your walls, and it still won't eject, you might have a rare problem. If the big fans won't even come on, it might be your Power Supply, so you can gamble $40 to fix it if you want.

If not, send it in with the disc inside, and make special mention of it. Be sure to give Sony a call as well regarding more details. They should ship the disc right back to you.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double post, but an update post. I have updated the Eject Disc trick, and that it apparently doesn't work 100% of the time.

Believe it or not, my brand new PS3 that I bought last night bricked on me today, with the YLOD, so I brought it back to Gamestop who gave me another new one, Advent Children Complete on Blu-Ray, and a $20 PSN card because of my troubles. Regardless, I tried the eject trick, and it worked again. Now confirmed on the 40GB and new 80GB models.

PS3 number 5!

If you've done all that, and spammed the eject button while the fans are blowing the wallpaper from your walls, and it still won't eject, you might have a rare problem. If the big fans won't even come on, it might be your Power Supply, so you can gamble $40 to fix it if you want.

If not, send it in with the disc inside, and make special mention of it. Be sure to give Sony a call as well regarding more details. They should ship the disc right back to you.

Well because my PS3 is out of warranty and the sticker has been removed, if I mentioned the power supply maybe being a fault, do you think there would be a better chance of them fixing it?

My PS3 goes into Turbine mode into 10 minutes of turning it on

Am I near the YLOD?

Turbine mode? By that do you mean - the fans rotate quicker and you begin to hear, a louder than normal sound emitting from the fans? That sorta' thing happened to me this morning, The fan's in the back of my machine went haywire and began to make a loud noise, after quickly turning my PS3 off and back on, the noise stopped, and resumed to its normal humming

Is this what you mean by turbine mode?

If it is, am i near the YLOD?

Well because my PS3 is out of warranty and the sticker has been removed, if I mentioned the power supply maybe being a fault, do you think there would be a better chance of them fixing it?

I'm pretty sure that if you haven't done any deep surgery inside your PS3, they will work on it. However, it being out of warranty, there will be a fee. It'll be considerably less than a brand new PS3, but still.

Calling Sony in your specific region will leave you with a lot more information. You can simply state that you opened it up, seeing as you were out of warranty already anyway, to merely dust it all off to see if that would help, and that you haven't done any tempering with the console. I don't see an issue, but again, call Sony for details concerning your specific situation.

Neither do I, well £150 in my case :(

I've even got to keep 2 minifans next to the console to keep it cool

Man, people are really terrified of those auxilaries.

They turn on when your playstations internal temperature hits a certain level. The aim is to circulate the air faster. Sure, the air going in might be really warm, but the air going out will be even hotter. All the console is doing is trying to get heat away from the internal components.

If you worry about that, you should feel how hot the processor array can get on a laptop before it overheats. I've taken the cover off laptops that have overheated before to let them cool, and water boils on the surface of them.

Seriously. Just cause the fans crank up after a few minutes of play, there's no reason to worry.

Unless, of course, the room is way too hot in the first place, but then I'd say you have other issues other than your PS3.

Edited by Labreya

Man, people are really terrified of those auxilaries.

They turn on when your playstations internal temperature hits a certain level. The aim is to circulate the air faster. Sure, the air going in might be really warm, but the air going out will be even hotter. All the console is doing is trying to get heat away from the internal components.

If you worry about that, you should feel how hot the processor array can get on a laptop before it overheats. I've taken the cover off laptops that have overheated before to let them cool, and water boils on the surface of them.

Seriously. Just cause the fans crank up after a few minutes of play, there's no reason to worry.

Unless, of course, the room is way too hot in the first place, but then I'd say you have other issues other than your PS3.

My concern was with why it's getting so hot after barely doing anything.

My concern was with why it's getting so hot after barely doing anything.

Because the air in the room is hot.

Hot air won't absorb the heat and draw it away from the PS3 as well as cold air. The PS3 is always going to heat up, so if it's hot to begin with, the PS3 has to move new, cooler air in quicker, because it's not getting rid of as much heat as it wants to with the normal fans. Thus, the extra fans turn on.

Processors get hot, even when idle. the more they're doing, the hotter they'll get. With 8 cores, the PS3s processor will get exceptionaly warmer when doing anything more than sitting idle on the XMB. Playing a game, even for a couple of minutes, will cause the processor to heat up extremly quickly.

It even warns that this happens, and is normal, in the operations manual, but nobody reads them these days anyway. :p

Not my fault. I bought it used and it didn't come with the operations manual. Therefore, I cannot read it. :p

They are also available, for free, off the playstation website.

Here, to be exact.

PlayStation.com

Under the troubleshooting section, under "other issues", it states:

When using the system in a location where heat can build up, such as an enclosed AV cabinet, the internal fan will rotate rapidly to reduce the system's temperature and this may generate increased noise. Move the system to a location with good ventilation.

It's just the PS3 cooling itself properly.

Here's a couple of videos you guys might find useful.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo]YLOD FIX[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU]YLOD FIX[/ame]

I watched these just in case I do need to address this. Both just add thermal compound to cpu and gpu.

There's more than one part to each video but I only posted the first one.

Hope that helps.

I'm pretty sure that if you haven't done any deep surgery inside your PS3, they will work on it. However, it being out of warranty, there will be a fee. It'll be considerably less than a brand new PS3, but still.

Calling Sony in your specific region will leave you with a lot more information. You can simply state that you opened it up, seeing as you were out of warranty already anyway, to merely dust it all off to see if that would help, and that you haven't done any tempering with the console. I don't see an issue, but again, call Sony for details concerning your specific situation.

Alright, I just rang them up and it turns out they can fix it for £145 even with my warranty seal removed, but they said they couldn't guarantee that I'll get my disc back. >:( Anyone know how to "persuade" them to send it back?

Alright, I just rang them up and it turns out they can fix it for £145 even with my warranty seal removed, but they said they couldn't guarantee that I'll get my disc back. >:( Anyone know how to "persuade" them to send it back?

The only thing you can do is, on top of mentioning it through the phone, add a letter that politely requests it. They don't give guarantees because they don't want any liability - standard business response.

Here's a couple of videos you guys might find useful.

I watched these just in case I do need to address this. Both just add thermal compound to cpu and gpu.

There's more than one part to each video but I only posted the first one.

Hope that helps.

I just now saw this thread but I wanted to put in my $.02! I have recently personally encountered and learned a great deal about the YLOD. I just wanted to tell everyone here that it is very likely the motherboard overheating and is every bit easy to fix! I started with repairing my own and now I even repair other PS3s that get the YLOD! I buy them off of ebay and repair them and every time it is the YLOD and it can be easily fixed by gilksy's method. IF the PS3 turns on at all then it is 95% due to the motherboard being overheated and NOT THE POWER SUPPLY! The power supply problems nearly always cause you to get NO power at all and the HDD (the other problem) is easy to remove and check first. This leaves reflowing of the motherboard and I have done this successfully many times now and have it down to about 3 hours work (most of which is spent cleaning and waiting on cooldown of parts)

If you have any tech savy at all then try it yourself and you will see (JUST ADD FLUX..something gilksy doesn't do)!

BUT...If it is under warranty then send it in FIRST for free.

IF NOT and you are careful there is nothing to worry about.

Keep those PS3s in a cool place with lots of space around them. REMEMBER...they make cooling fans that hook on the outside of them.

There is a common problem in many PS3s where the pads that displace heat are not usually in the correct location and the protective paste on the chips gets so dirty and dry that it becomes nearly worthless.

OF NOTE is that any hard drive change to any other PS3 motherboard and your drive must be reformatted and you lose all your information.

I have built a huge number of computers from scratch and fixed this PS3 problem and ANYONE who has a question or needs help can feel free to ask me. I will try to answer any questions about this problem or modifications if you want to know about any of those as well.

rite is jus gt the YLOD for the 2nd time this month. my ps3 is a 60 gig o dear! i bought it in game nd told them it has happened twice etc nd i think they rang the name on the insurance certificate thn i post it off somewere. the last time they fixed my ps3 nd i lost no data, but it broke again.

the most annoying this is that i was backing up all the data in 1 go, 60 gig was gona take 2 hours nd 28 minutes so i went away nd came bac, i came back at about 90 % roughly nd it said 28 minutes left, i ate my dinner nd came bac probly 45 mins l8r nd ther was the ylod, so i dnt no if i hav all my data saved r nt.

wot r u on about de-activating it, because i sent mine away b4 nd didnt de-activate it, does it matter ?

P.S mine was fixed at Total Console Repair UK | Professional Games Console and iPod Repair ServiceTotal Console Repair UK | Professional Games Console and iPod Repair Service

IIf you have any tech savy at all then try it yourself and you will see (JUST ADD FLUX..something gilksy doesn't do)!

Thanks for that KryptoniteDraogn, now I know who to hit up on these boards when the time comes. Just so you know gilksy does add a video where he is adding FLUX to the board.

Is FLUX really that critical? I'm stocking up on some thermal compound and FLUX just cause I know I'm due for YLOD soon. (knock on wood). Bought my 60GB in May 2007 and here it is July of 2009 and still runs great.

I do have a modded intercooler attached to it though.

anyways thanks again.