Uncharted Movie

YurtleTehTurtle

On 10/21/2021 at 2:54 PM, The Alchemist said:

Video game movies will never be good

Well that's a shockingly negative nancy view from you- I mean, I expect that from other posters, but not you so much. Especially since we HAVE actually gotten at least 2-3 legitimately good films in the context of their genres (amongst all the shit- it's a terrible ratio) but I won't press on that front. I'm pretty sure no video game adapted so far has been high art in the first place (guess we'll have to wait and see on Metal Gear) so the movies aren't going to be Citizen Kane either. John Woo's films are art, but not literature nahmean? ADD: Well... the Silent Hill games have some pretty great depth, albeit not the ones specifically adapted. 

Making a good adaptation of a video game isn't any more difficult than making a good adaptation of a novel/comic/whatever: you just need a competent director who is familiar with the source material (and/or overseers for that...) If they could make a good movie out of a massive novel like LA Confidential they can handle any video game storyline. The hard part now is getting those people on the projects: video games are still 'new media' and the baby boomers just haven't been dying off (or stepping down) fast enough so us Gen X'ers can take over. We still get cries for anti-game crusades for Christ's sake. I doubt the current heads of studios are much of gamers, but their successors just may be... which I said before in one of these VGM topics, maybe even this very one. 

As for this one, it looks like it has some potential to me and I have no stock in the actors either- I didn't blink at a blond James Bond. There's a lot of shit that goes into casting: you want someone who looks the part, can act the part, has enough star power to attract people, won't cost too much, and maybe other things (like having a younger actor gives more time to make sequels before they get too old), but you probably will have to compromise on a couple fronts. I'm not enough of a fan of the games to have seen it in theaters anyway though so this is purely a home viewing in some form... so eh.

Edited by stickghost

14 hours ago, stickghost said:

Well that's a shockingly negative nancy view from you

History has proven me correct so far. And nothing about this movie tells me that it will be any different this time. Awful casting, a director whose career is mixed at best, a decade of development hell (Wahlberg was meant to play Nate at one point, and now he's Sully!!) and a confusing take on the story (it's a prequel with a young Nate, yet for some bizarre reason the entire trailer was a best-of collection of moments from Uncharted 3 & 4!?!?).

Once again, the fans of the series are being screwed, so that the movie can appeal to the lowest common denominator. They should be going all out for the fans to get them on board seen as we're the ones who will ultimately make or break it. I don't know why the movie studios always do this, but it appears to be the case here too, so the movie has no chance. 

15 hours ago, stickghost said:

video games are still 'new media' and the baby boomers just haven't been dying off (or stepping down) fast enough so us Gen X'ers can take over.

The same Gen Xers and millennials that have no initiative or creativity which is why most of Hollywood is absolute shite? By the way, the director of this film was born in 1974 and the story by a guy born in 1983, so it's already a Gen X film so don't act like boomers are standing in the way of a decent video game film adaptation.

Oh, and that story writer? Was a contestant on Survivor and later had writing credits for Agents of SHIELD. What the fuck?! :rofl:

The other writers apart from Iron Man, also did Punisher: War Zone, Transformers: The Last Knight and Men in Black International. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I should get that Sheriff John Bunnel fellow to open my posts with DUE TO THE SARCASTIC NATURE OF THIS POSTER READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

So okay, let's take a step back in seriousness... Alchemist always seemed one of the more optimistic posters in general here. The fact is video game adaptations are not some kind of foreign science... and well there's nothing more to say there because we've laid out all of our cards already.

As for the Boomer crack, the fact is the world (or US- I dunno if generations are a worldwide thing) is still ultimately run by them: politicians (Obama was our first Gen X President... BARELY... then we went backwards twice in a row), CEO's, decision makers in general... I don't know what all goes into the bad movies we've been getting, but apart from obvious red flag Uwe Boll there could be genuine fans getting overruled by executive meddling from up above. I doubt it's a coincidence the average quality of the films is going considerably up each decade, from Universally Agreed To Be Trash to Universally Agreed To Be Mediocre At Best to Some Would Argue To Be Good to Widely Agreed To Be Good. My best guess as to why that is would be that people who've actually played the video games they're making films for (who I'm guessing are not Boomers) are progressively making up more of the staff. Logic seems solid, no? 

Sure Millennials have their faults too with all their snowflake shit but they're not actually in power yet- the Boomers are just catering to them. Hopefully the Gen X wave will have had enough of their shit to do things our way (seeing how going woke usually leads to going broke... who is listening to these people anyway?) The Millennials can wait until we turn into old farts for their turn just like us. 

But then again, making oversweeping generalizations isn't the best of ideas either. Well shit.

1 hour ago, stickghost said:

Alchemist always seemed one of the more optimistic posters in general here

I try to be positive about most things tbh. There's lots of stuff I enjoy that the majority seemingly don't. But, there are some things I just can't get excited for, or hope for the best with, and this movie is one of them, unfortunately. 

Hell, if this movie turns out to be good then I'll eat every physical Uncharted game I own, and record myself doing so!!

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Steelertown said:

Video games don't make good movies?  What?  Need for speed was a damn good movie.

While I kind of enjoyed Need for Speed, the majority definitely didn't...it had a planned sequel that was canceled due to criticism and low ticket sales. 

Pretty sure the only truly successful video games films have been Sonic, Detective Pikachu and the original Mortal Kombat due to it's cult following. 

On 12/15/2021 at 8:10 PM, Viper said:

Pretty sure the only truly successful video games films have been Sonic, Detective Pikachu and the original Mortal Kombat due to it's cult following. 

Now that this door has been opened...

If by 'truly successful' you mean a certain intersection of critical/fan approval and money then you can add Angry Birds 2 for sure. Werewolves Within recently got an 86 CRITIC score with the audience not far behind at 81 (though Sonic remains top there at 93- they alternate 1st and 3rd place on critic and audience ranks; AB2 is 2nd place on both if you're wondering) though I don't know if it did well moneywise- it was a pandemic VOD affair with a limited theater run but it was only a 6M horror film so maybe the distribution deal covers it. A few others have made several times their budget back but couldn't land a positive consensus in either critic or audience scores. (Wonders if critics reviewed WW well because they didn't know it was a videogame movie.)

I do think a few other films were worthy to various extents, namely Silent Hill. I also found Rampage surprisingly decent except for falling into the human-centric adaptation hole (I was thinking of reviewing it in that other topic.) Then there's a few that work for their genre/niche even if they're unimpressive, like the Tomb Raiders or Need For Speed (even if it screams WHY?) Not great, but not terrible either if you want a film in that niche.

They're still making bad ones if Resident Evil is anything to go by, but there are a few proven examples.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just seen this and really enjoyed it. I think your mileage will vary based on how much you love the games. Objectively and for non-game fans it's a bog standard action movie that's another Indiana Jones/National Treasure rip-off that will be forgotten about in a few months, but I found it a fun ride.

Holland and Wahlberg are definitely miscast but willing to overlook it.

Also, no spoilers, but best cameo ever! :D

Edited by Darth_Krid

3 hours ago, Darth_Krid said:

Just seen this and really enjoyed it. I think your mileage will vary based on how much you love the games. Objectively and for non-game fans it's a bog standard action movie that's another Indiana Jones/National Treasure rip-off that will be forgotten about in a few months, but I found it a fun ride.

Holland and Wahlberg are definitely miscast but willing to overlook it.

Also, no spoilers, but best cameo ever! :D

Well there it is folks! Krid liked it..........

.....that means it's utter ass juice!

• Sad 1

For what it's worth, my trusted trio of reviewers all agreed it was at least a decent film. Also sits at 90% audience score (critic score is a lot lower, but that's still above video game adaptation par) at RT so it can't be that bad, right? 

Looks like I'm 3 for 3 on judging video game trailers in the last couple years... The recent RE just had me scratching my head though.