Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Just curious if anyone else has read it on the forums. One of the few books I have read in one sitting and was one of the most enjoyable books I have read in quite some time. Also, I figured if no one has heard of it I would post it on here as I think most gamers would enjoy it thoroughly.:)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifXryyx4erU]Ready Player One by Ernest Cline--Book Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Also, if you are planning on buying it, the UK cover it much better than the US, if such a detail matters.

• 5 years later...

I'm surprised there hasn't been any talk in this thread over the last SIX YEARS, as the book got a movie deal a while back, and the preview for the movie just popped up at Comic-Con.

At any rate... I was just talked into reading this "because I'm a gamer". To anybody else who gets pulled in by the same trap - the fact that the book makes endless references to gaming doesn't mean the book is actually any good. In fact, this is about the worst book I've read in the last decade (and I read quite a few books). Based only on the text, I predicted about 30 pages in that this author was a first-time writer. Upon further investigation after finishing, I found that not only was he a first-time novelist, but his writing background extended only to a handful of sh*tty screenplays. He's not a writer - just a guy with a deep and almost ridiculous love of the 80s.

For those thinking about reading the book (or even just seeing the movie) - keep your expectations low. Though the plot is an initially intriguing concept, this author has absolutely no skills at creating a meaningful narrative, developing dynamic characters, or using even a modicum of subtlety in dialogue. The relationships show no mature understanding of how human beings actually relate to one another. If I hadn't read up on Cline, I would genuinely believe that this book were written by a junior-high school student killing time in English class.

Unless your only goal is to hear a laundry list of things that happened in the 80s (and occasionally 90s/2000s) described in excruciatingly mundane detail, this book isn't for you.

Edited by MrMinderbinder

The book is about 385 pages and most people don't have time to be reading the novel of it.

:facepalm: They have the time. They most definitely have the time. They just don't want to make the time. That's the absolute worst excuse for not reading.

This book was amazing, IMO. I wouldn't specifically argue it was a book for gamers, but it certainly has gaming references and anyone who enjoys sci-fi novels should find something to enjoy here.

I enjoy sci-fi novels, and I found nothing to enjoy. Not because there aren't any intriguing ideas, but because the author is a terrible writer. He has written the ultimate geek fantasy - a future where the only things that matter are geek obsessions, and the only people who actually have a potential future are people with geek skills.

He may as well have written a novel in which his main character saves the world through his amazing masturbation skills - it's about that plausible and about that relatable. In fact, there is even a half-page passage in the book on the merits of masturbation. This book is teenage fantasy, and has nothing to enjoy for adults with a critical mind.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Read this while flying to London and I  really enjoyed it. The book and movie are way underrated. It's like Willy Wonka for gamers and a love letter to gaming and the 1980's. 

At some point, though it got mixed reviews, I want to read Ready Player 2. I tend to not agree with critics or the majority, so I doubt that will change with the sequel.

• 1 month later...

I haven’t read a book,but I’ve just watched the movie Ready Player One and I can recommend it. I really liked the special effects and graphics. The creators managed to convey such an impressive and large-scale virtual world that I wanted to walk along such magnificent streets. The graphics are more like a game, as the virtual world in this film represents the game. These are the stories I like, in this film there is not only great graphics, but also there is a semantic load, intrigue, there is a love line that smoothly flows through the entire film. Everything was enough for me - and the entertainment, the scale of the world of "Oasis", there was fullness and a sense of integrity, and humor did not disappoint. On top of that, I liked the actors' play, everything is organic and appropriate.

• 3 months later...
On 4/17/2018 at 4:20 AM, kfree7 said:

They say the book is always better but the movie was wild.

Most book readers say this with films such as the Divergent series, Percy Jackson... mostly the ones tailored for the teeny bopper audiences and they weren't that good... Gone are the days - during 80s-90s where novels from John Grisham and Tom Clancy were box-office hits. The Hunger Games which seems kinda popular with kids is something I did not really get, at least with the movies as I find them super boring. My kids who have read all the books are 50/50 with it... Teens giving their reaction on YouTube are quite over the top.

Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings was probably the litmus paper that started all these serialisation of novels/books and their success is what may have fueled the trilogy trend in cinemas. Apart from superhero films, I don't think there has been anything out there - post HP and LOTR that has been as equally successful as they were.

On 3/1/2021 at 7:10 PM, GearsOfTheDead said:

I want to read Ready Player 2. I tend to not agree with critics or the majority, so I doubt that will change with the sequel.

There's a part 2? Wow didn't know that - so shut up Warner Bros-Amblin and take my money! I never got to see this at the cinema, only on Netflix and I thought it was good. I didn't agree that the film was just a bunch of nostalgic pop-culture references. It was way much more than just that... Some people are just so quick to get riled up and easily dislike anything just for the sake of it. I can't agree more with Sammy here, he's got everything spot on!

Edited by Naps