Wireless 20GB ps3? (no access to modem/router)

cjt417

I recently moved into a place where there are no ethernet outlets, so the whole house runs on wireless connections. I have a 20GB model and I want to know if it's possible to make the ps3 wireless through either the USB or ethernet jack. Ideas or suggestions? Or am I better off buying another ps3?

If I am not mistaken, isn't that the model that doesn't have access to Wi-fi? If so, you can buy yourself one of these, and the good thing is it works great with your older model 360s as well.

Anyway, I am having trouble connecting my PS3 to the PSN, so I am off to another thread with my crappy speed.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DAP-1522-GigaBit-Selectable-Wireless/dp/B001769K3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314059027&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme 4-Port GigaBit Selectable Dual Band Draft 802.11n N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point: Electronics[/ame]

Edited by EEHHHHHH

I was looking at that too but the problem is this: "Connect the DAP-1522 to an existing wired network and easily enable wireless connectivity in your home"

See I can't connect to anything with a wire. Like the reason why I'm online right now is because I have a wireless card which adapts via USB to my desktop. It works because I can install the software for it. I can't obviously install any software on the PS3 unless I put an OS on the hard drive.

yeah like i said there is no ethernet ports in the house.

The ethernet port is the connector at the back of the PS3 or your router or the DAP-1522 I linked. Most network-ready modern devices come equipped with one. If you are talking about an ethernet cable instead, it comes with one on the PS3 as well and/or the DAP-1522 bridge.

The ethernet port is the connector at the back of the PS3 or your router or the DAP-1522 I linked. Most network-ready modern devices come equipped with one. If you are talking about an ethernet cable instead, it comes with one on the PS3 as well and/or the DAP-1522 bridge.

okay i think i understand. so connect the ps3 to that device u linked? i was under the impression that the device needed to connect to an ethernet outlet or router away from the ps3.

i guess the setup is like a hotel, only i don't have to bypass any security pages.

I really don't understand how its all connected? Where is the wireless coming from? I don't mean to sound stupid just trying to help, but I just don't understand how you can have wireless internet without having the source connected to Ethernet or something, modem/telephone line even.
No I'm sure there's a modem or router in the area but I don't live wherever that's set-up. Like I said imagine being in a hotel room. There are no ethernet ports just wireless accessibility. So the only way to get online is by having a wireless card of some sort. My Xbox has a built-in one, my desktop is using a usb-enabled one that came with software. But my ps3 doesn't have a wireless built-in, so I'm trying to figure something out.

I don't think so. It doesn't say anything about consoles, and it looks like it might require an installation CD or drivers. Neither of which I can use on the ps3. Edited by cjt417

What you can do is share the internet connection from your computer via Ethernet, so you connect to internet on your computer (doesn't matter how) then share the internet connection using the Ethernet port on your computer to your PS3. The only bad thing is that you need the computer on at all times, but its your only option.

okay. well if i understand the concept correctly then it seems like a pretty simple solution.

so how do i do this? obviously i can't just plug one ethernet cable from the ps3 to the desktop.

Simplest I could find without you having to rip walls open to find routers or pay loads for equipment. Its easy but I've only attempted to do it on Xbox and it didn't work. This is a trail and error thing as I don't think its ever been done considering most PS3 consoles have always been wireless.

What you do is go to Control Panel, click Networking and Internet, select Network Sharing Center and select Change Adapter Settings. Right-click the connection that you want to share with the PS3, and then select Properties. Select the Sharing tab of the connection properties window and then select 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection' and click OK. Then simply plug an ethernet cord into your computer then into your PS3. I don't know what operating system your on but that's how you do it on Vista, I think its slightly different but followable on Windows 7 and the same on XP. I don't know whether this will work or not, can't confirm because haven't tried it with a PS3 :D

nice. well the good news is that i have connectivity (green light is flashing on the back). the bad news only the IP address succeeds in the internet connection test. once the test goes to Internet Connection it says "Failed" (DNS error 80710102).

I'm researching if I can fix any of this now but if you have any ideas or tips let me know.

Edited by cjt417

nice. well the good news is that i have connectivity (green light is flashing on the back). the bad news only the IP address succeeds in the internet connection test. once the test goes to Internet Connection it says "Failed" (DNS error 80710102).

I'm researching if I can fix any of this now but if you have any ideas or tips let me know.

I had a feeling that would happen. I know there a DNS configuring on something you have to do. Try this: DNS Error (80710102) - PlayStation Community

AHHH I'm IN! On the PSN now!

I tried the advice from that link but I was met with the same problems. But I got it to work by just letting the Automatic set-up do it's thing. The first time I tried that (an hour or so ago) the IP address timed-out so I figured I had to manually enter everything. Well I might have just done it at the wrong time because my computer will tell me my connection is disabled when I run the connection set-up. So I guess I just waited a little longer before I eventually selected "Easy" and sure enough it works.

Amazing. Thank you soooooooooooo much blackflac0n for the idea and staying with me. I seriously owe you because otherwise I was just going to buy another ps3. I can't thank you enough. TY TY TY TY....

AHHH I'm IN! On the PSN now!

I tried the advice from that link but I was met with the same problems. But I got it to work by just letting the Automatic set-up do it's thing. The first time I tried that (an hour or so ago) the IP address timed-out so I figured I had to manually enter everything. Well I might have just done it at the wrong time because my computer will tell me my connection is disabled when I run the connection set-up. So I guess I just waited a little longer before I eventually selected "Easy" and sure enough it works.

Amazing. Thank you soooooooooooo much blackflac0n for the idea and staying with me. I seriously owe you because otherwise I was just going to buy another ps3. I can't thank you enough. TY TY TY TY....

Awesome ;) No problem :D Its a bummer you require and computer and everything but at least its free and you don't need a new console :dance:

Awesome ;) No problem :D Its a bummer you require and computer and everything but at least its free and you don't need a new console :dance:
true but my computer always stays on anyway. so the whole thing works out perfect. seriously this is probably the best i could have hoped for from the situation. thanks again lol.

I know you have it working now, but I found an alternative to your set-up if you want to make your PS3 connect directly to you wireless network.

Linksys by Cisco Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual-Band WET610N

It even says you can use it with game consoles. First you set it up on your computer and then plug it into the ethernet port on your PS3. It's technically just an external wifi adapter. It would look like this:

Wireless N Ethernet Bridge ---------- PS3

--- = Ethernet Cable

I don't know how much these cost, but i'm sure you could find a cheap one. :cool:

I know you have it working now, but I found an alternative to your set-up if you want to make your PS3 connect directly to you wireless network.

Linksys by Cisco Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual-Band WET610N

It even says you can use it with game consoles. First you set it up on your computer and then plug it into the ethernet port on your PS3. It's technically just an external wifi adapter. It would look like this:

Wireless N Ethernet Bridge ---------- PS3

--- = Ethernet Cable

I don't know how much these cost, but i'm sure you could find a cheap one. :cool:

good to know. thank you.